Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
About the grouse, we only went one time and kicked up a few. However, when I was scouting deer and deer hunting, then we saw them. The numbers , like Roundoak mentioned , I also am not sure if they are on the up swing or not but there are not as many as a few yrs. ago so this might be about the bottom. I am in Price co. on the west side and hunt the Flambeau River St. Forest. Even on the down years, there is no problem kicking a few up, but no matter how many I flush, they still take me by surprise and dont get too many.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Two nice bucks and yours is a real dandy. Congrats. From the age of 15 to about 35 all we did is drive deer. One woodlot to the next, CRP grass and drainage ditches. Groups of 10 -15, sunup to sundown. I miss it, miss the camaraderie of the group the most. 47 now and sitting on stand is not the same. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
JohnGlenn, the deer drive is just another arrow in our quiver and it is very effective after the shooting starts and many of the bucks go nocturnal. It goes without saying, preplanning and experienced hunters are essential. If you don't have that it is like herding cats.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

J
jay Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Two super bucks, a 99 in 250 w/87 hotcor, classic American whitetail hunting, congrats!!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
For sure. Post rut, lots of pressure, before the deep freeze gets them up and moving to feed...it is the way to get the bucks/deer moving. And, if you do it right with a good group of guys that work well together it is fun and super exciting. Need to work the wind, know the escape routes and know the lay of the land and where everyone is (if you can see them or not) for safety. Any bunch of nimrods can go for a walk in the woods and shoot at each other, but a well planned, effective and safe deer drive is an art.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice buck, congrats!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
roundoak--- Both those bucks are a buck of a lifetime in my area. And I know they grow them bigger there.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnGlenn
For sure. Post rut, lots of pressure, before the deep freeze gets them up and moving to feed...it is the way to get the bucks/deer moving. And, if you do it right with a good group of guys that work well together it is fun and super exciting. Need to work the wind, know the escape routes and know the lay of the land and where everyone is (if you can see them or not) for safety. Any bunch of nimrods can go for a walk in the woods and shoot at each other, but a well planned, effective and safe deer drive is an art.

Something tells me if one could observe roundoak & team conducting such a mooch, using Tchaikovksy's - Swan Lake - No2 Valse for ambiance would be apropos. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've never been on a well organized drive. Been on plenty that will make your knees shake and your head spin. There is no question that the roundoak's crew has it down. They're not shooting those bucks on a yearly basis by luck.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane

Something tells me if one could observe roundoak & team conducting such a mooch, using Tchaikovksy's - Swan Lake - No2 Valse for ambiance would be apropos. laugh
Classical music? At least it is not Tiptoe Thru' The Tulips With Me.

Last edited by roundoak; 12/18/20.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOL. I just meant there's little doubt that it's very well orchestrated.
There's an art form to it when executed right.

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I never looked at it as an art form, but now that you mentioned it, I can see that. grin I will share that with the gang.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took up the muzzleloader decades ago when in-lines were still a novel concept. It was just a way to get another deer tag and continue hunting. Going to a one shot only gun & trying to drive deer that had just went through hell being driven relentlessly for 3 straight weekends was an eye opener. I saw deer do some crazy stuff to avoid getting into your crosshairs! But what great lessons I learned. Yes, there is definitely an art to successfully drive hunting deer and being consistently successful is not luck.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nice buck!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great looking Trophy bucks! Enjoyed the write up and the pics.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Roundoak, Great bucks as usual. Still hard to believe the quality of deer you have over there versus the Central part of the State.Heading through early Saturday if you are putting any classes on.

I grew up driving the swamps in Waupaca County and even though we would get a lot of deer there weren't many good bucks. Everyone used a shotgun and would use every shell they could at tails flying by. We do wind bump small parcels now and it works pretty well with a small group.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane

THIS^^^ cool

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by roundoak
Leupold 1-4x 20mm

Roundoak,

Your Savage 99-A should be twisted 1/10...correct? If so, do you prefer shooting the Speer 87 gr, hotcore versus a 100 gr bullet?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Doc, yes, this 99-A is 1-10" ROT and the 87 gr Speer HotCor is the second most accurate bullet tried in it. The Sierra 90 gr HPBT is the most accurate bullet, but i don't trust it on deer.

100 gr bullets are not as accurate in this rifle, so I went with the 87 gr HotCor and found it killed every deer I hit with it. My reloads with H4895 average 2925-2950 fps and on occasion I have put it into the shoulders with good results. I have used the bullet in a .257 Roberts at 3200 fps and if put into the shoulders it did not perform as well and required a second shot a couple of times, so I moved up to 100-115 gr bullets.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,402
Posts18,470,144
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.