Home
Posted By: BigDave39355 Pack for deer hunting? - 12/29/20
Any good backpacks for deer hunting?

I’ve been using a Walmart Camo pack. It’s starting to come apart.

Something made in USA.

This will be for morning and evening hunts. Nothing long term.

Looking for a bunch of pockets.

I’ve got a Tactical Tailor pack. Quality. But only main pocket and 1 small pocket.

I’ve looked at some of the brands mentioned often on here. Hill people, mystery ranch, kifaru. They all seem to be built for long term pack trips.

Thanks!
Posted By: MichieD Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/29/20
I like this one

https://eberlestock.com/collections/daypacks/products/bandit-pack
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/29/20
I got this a couple of years ago on a whim at a WM in Colorado: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-Arrowhead-Int-Frame-Pack-Griffin/431323448

It’s only $40; it has enough room to carry a bunch of extra layers, binos, food water, etc. …; and it weighs only about 2 lbs. With all of my expensive backpacks, I usually take this one for day hunts because it’s so light.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sometimes have used it on short backpacking trips, but only when I’m not too far in and don’t have to carry too much.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: hanco Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/29/20
No matter what I pack I always forget something
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/29/20
Originally Posted by hanco
No matter what I pack I always forget something

The worst for me was a few years ago, backpacking with my two sons and my dad, I packed everyone's packs, and forgot the sporks. That's one thing that's almost impossible to do without. Luckily, my older son had one lying the the bottom of a pack pocket. We ate our beef stroganoff servings one at a time. Before my son made the helpful discovery, I was going to try to fashion spoons out of cut up plastic bowls, but I don't think it would have worked very well.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/29/20
For whitetail deer hunting where I am walking to a stand and sitting for a couple hours to all day and then walking back I have gone to a Haversack type pack. Seems to be easier to deal with in a tree stand for me and works great for gun spots where we have shooting houses or will be stationary. We have a couple of the Bison Gear ones that are great, wish they hadn't gone out of business. My son didn't have one so we got him one from here. Not as good as the old Bison Gear Haversacks but still great for deer hunting from a stand

https://thehiddenwoodsmen.com/product/the-haversack/
Posted By: SKane Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/29/20
Dave,

I use a Tenzing TZ 2220 if packing a deer isn't a factor - there's better stuff for that.
A bit on the large side but I generally carry most of my clothes in/on the pack.
It's pretty light, has ample pockets/compartments and comes with a rain fly and gun/bow bearer too.

It used to come in a solid color (loden) but it appears it's now only offered in camo.

https://www.tenzingoutdoors.com/catalog/product/view/id/501/s/tz-2220/category/109/
Posted By: Bperdue21 Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/29/20
I am an overpacker, but I use an Eberlestock Team Elk. I don't think that pack would be very good for an actual elk hunt, but for a big woods whitetail hunt it is about perfect. It is a little heavy but it is a tank. If I was looking for something smaller I would get an X-1, which i have as a go bag. Eberlestock is quality built stuff.

Edit- I was wrong, I have the gunrunner as a go bag and it would be great for a smaller whitetail bag.
Thanks for all the replies. I’ll check them out.

SKane,

No packing meat out. I’m one of the shameless hunters that load mine up on the ranger and go to the skinning shed. 😂
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/30/20

If I’m walking all day a pack just gets in the way and tryto fit everything in my pockets, if I plan on sitting anything that’s not a hassle carrying in does the job.
Posted By: SKane Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/30/20
Dave,
There’s no shame in that! I do the same when location affords.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/30/20
Made in USA- Kifaru. They ain't cheap, but are built well

I have the Kifaru Doorgunner and really like it. It's not large enough for an over-night pack, but works great for a day tripper. Rides like a champ, plenty of pockets, great zippers, straps, and belt. It can haul all the stuff I need for a long day in the hills or just a short hike with a little water and food. It has seen hundreds of miles and has really worked well, be it hunting, day hikes, shooting trips, going out of town, etc..

The Kifaru Antero daypack is another one I'd look at if buying again.

https://kifaru.net/store/packs/day-packs/door-gunner/
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/30/20
Antero is my choice.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

https://kifaru.net/store/packs/day-packs/antero/
Posted By: MOGC Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/30/20
My main day pack is an Mystery Ranch Pop Up 18. If I'm packing a bit more gear, as in the wife or a grandkid is along, an Eberlestock X2 or F1 Mainframe with Batwings usually gets the call. I do debone and quarter deer/hogs and pack meat out.
Posted By: tzone Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/30/20
Made in USA might be the tough part. Have you checked Duluth Pack?
Posted By: tzone Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/30/20
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Thanks for all the replies. I’ll check them out.

SKane,

No packing meat out. I’m one of the shameless hunters that load mine up on the ranger and go to the skinning shed. 😂

Another one to look at is the Mystery Ranch Treehouse.

Pack
Posted By: CBB Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/30/20
Been using ALPS for a few years. Had 1 zipper come apart. I was loading the pack with bricks and hiking to get in shape for a MT elk hunt. So the zipper coming apart after that abuse wasn't a big deal. Sent me a brand new pack.

2 weeks ago threw my pack in the truck and shut the tailgate. Closed the tailgate on the waist buckle and broke it. Just got new buckles in the mail. Pack is fixed.

https://www.alpsbrands.com/alpsoutdoorz/products/packs/pathfinder
Posted By: TDN Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/31/20
Somewhere between the day pack and packed pockets... I’ve used lumbar packs a good bit and really like them when just doing morning/evening sits w no pack out of meat.
I have a smaller Mountain Smith which has served me well for over a decade (plenty of pockets for smaller gear inside and out and room for gloves/hat, compressed puffy coat inside)

https://mountainsmith.com/2020-tour-lumbar.html

I have also been experimenting w the larger Cabelas model w lots of storage and bow/gun packing attachment options.

I tend to like the lumbar pack when busting brush in/out or still hunting as it still feels far better to have the gun pop to your shoulder pocket when a deer jumps up at 20 yards than it does resting on your backpack strap.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/31/20
I really like eberlestock's Gunrunner. Big enough, not to big, scabbard is nice hiking up the mountain before daylight.

https://eberlestock.com/collections/gun-carry/products/gunrunner-pack
Posted By: Rgramjet Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/31/20
I love my Mother pack! Its super light, very quiet with smartly placed compartments and its expandable. I've not found such a well thought out pack.

I also have the turkey vest. Another winner.

I think I bought them fro The Sportsmans Guide, years ago.

I just picked up a Kuiu divide 1200. Perfect day pack for walking long distances with lunch and other necessities. Only problem is, its Loud
Posted By: 805 Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/31/20
Stone glacier serac or Avail if within your budget. The Kuiu 1850 is another good choice. Lots of pockets and side pockets. Run it without the frame for day hunts.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/31/20

I’ve looked at some of the brands mentioned often on here. Hill people, mystery ranch, kifaru. They all seem to be built for long term pack trips.

I am not quite following you here. Most all the hunting pack companies, and those three in particular, make smaller packs designed specifically for day trips.
I use a Tensing lumbar pack to carry from my atv to my stands. It has a lot of pockets which was one of your requirements. I have a badlands superday pack that has plenty of pocket space as well. My mystery ranch pack is really nice for a walk in day hunt and meat hauler but it doesnt have a lot of pockets as I assume many of the really high quality packs dont as well as pockets mean added weight. If your up in a treestand you sure dont need to be digging into a pack for gear you just want to unzip a pocket and grab what you want out. The packs promoted as treestand packs seem to gave a lot of pockets.
I have a cabelas lumbar pack that is slightly smaller than the Tensing and it is great if I am carrying just a few items to get me thru a few hours in the stand.
Posted By: goalie Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 12/31/20
I've got an Alps pack that has worked well for me. I hunt woods also. I don't think it's made in the usa though.

When still hunting, I don't carry a pack.

Edit:. When still hunting, most of the time I don't even carry a rifle, so take me advice for what it's worth.

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I am not quite following you here. Most all the hunting pack companies, and those three in particular, make smaller packs designed specifically for day trips.

I’ve never held or seen any of those brands . Just going by the pics on their websites.

What i mean, seems those packs are larger size. One big pack, maybe 1 smaller pocket. Meat haulers or for camping gear.

If’n That makes more sense.

I’ll look at more of their models.
Posted By: turkish Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 01/01/21
Has anyone figured out how to shoulder a rifle with a backpack on? I have not. In the whitetail woods of the SE, this is a concern.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 01/01/21
[quote=turkish]Has anyone figured out how to shoulder a rifle with a backpack on? I have not. In the whitetail woods of the SE, this is a concern. [/quote

Sling pack
Posted By: 1minute Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 01/01/21
Does one want to pack halves, or camping gear? If meat, then any solid frame with good straps and an even better hip belt. Have three 70's vintage external frame Sierras. The first time I tried to load an elk quarter, I cut the bags off and have never looked back.
Posted By: Judman Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 01/01/21
Dave I like this x1 eberlestock, think it’s bout right, for traveling your rifle is nice and outta the way, real comfortable
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Eberlestock has been mentioned a couple times.

USA made?
Hell I dunno? Have to look I guess
Also love this mystery ranch scapegoat too
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]m middle names
#cant hide money. 😂😬😂
Posted By: SKane Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 01/01/21
Appears reading comprehension isn't my strong suit. The Tenzing I mentioned most certainly isn't an American made product.
Fuuck is anything made in America anymore?? 😂😂
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 01/01/21
Any good backpacks for deer hunting?

I’ve been using a Walmart Camo pack. It’s starting to come apart.

Something made in USA.

This will be for morning and evening hunts. Nothing long term.

Looking for a bunch of pockets.

I’ve got a Tactical Tailor pack. Quality. But only main pocket and 1 small pocket.

Thanks!

If your old pack has a frame, just ditch the pack part and bungee a zip up kinda bag to and what ever else you need. A lot of times for metal detecting trips I'll just bungee a 5 gallon platic bucket with a lid to the pack frame. To use it for hunting then you've even got the bucket to use for a seat if you need it.
No frame.

It’s one of those Fieldline brand that the Walmart’s sells.

Some of the threads are busting on one of the shoulder straps.

Too many snacks, sammiches, and can drinks i guess. 🤪
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 01/01/21
No clue where it's made but I used an Elevation Forester Lumbar pack this year. It holds plenty for what you are talking about. It's setup well and easy to find stuff since the pack isn't as deep as a backpack. I've used the smaller badlands packs too without issues.
https://elevationequipped.com/product-category/hunt/packs-hunt/
Posted By: ChrisF Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 01/01/21
Eberlestock packs are made in Vietnam (as are Osprey). If you're looking for a pack to haul your gear in pockets and compartments from the truck to the stand and don't plan on packing an animal, get on Amazon and search tactical assault packs to your hearts content...not enough pockets...no problem...most of them come with Molle webbing so you can add on more...of course they're all coming from China though.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 01/01/21

I’ve never held or seen any of those brands . Just going by the pics on their websites.

What i mean, seems those packs are larger size. One big pack, maybe 1 smaller pocket. Meat haulers or for camping gear.

If’n That makes more sense.

I’ll look at more of their models.

Gotcha.
Pics can be deceiving, for sure. Look at the cubic inches, or their intended purpose. Anything under 1500-2000 cubic inches is what I at least, consider a daypack.
I roll with a Kifaru Shapecharge and a 14r, both are a touch over 2000 CI, but are designed for day hunts.
https://kifaru.net/product-category/packs/day-packs/

Mystery Ranch and a few others make solid day packs. The Elberleestock X2 I had would have been a decent daypack, but it couldn't haul much weight before making my back ache pretty badly. For just carrying normal loads though, it was fine.
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Eberlestock packs are made in Vietnam

I didn't know that. Completely built there or just parts are? They're owned by an Idaho company but maybe they're just designed and sold there.

That said I seriously doubt a guy could find any pack that isn't at least partly made somewhere outside of the US....the buckles, stitching thread, main fabric layers and maybe even the zippers are oftentimes coming from somewhere else like Brazil, Thailand or wherever else from what I have been told. Many pack brands are just sewn together and assembled here.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 01/01/21
Originally Posted by Judman
Also love this mystery ranch scapegoat too
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]m middle names

It's very hard to take anybody serious that hunts with a purple rifle!!

Do they make that pack in a pink camo?🤣🤣🤣
Haha the people I run into are like wtf??? Haha
Kifaru shape charge looks like it may be the ticket.

Folks like it on rokslide.

Not sure i like it enough to pay $350 or so.

Kifaru have sales?
They sometimes have 10% off sales on particular holidays, but that's about it. Put a WTB add in the classifieds. You might get a bite.

The Shapecharge doesn't have many pockets though. 2 on top, plus the main compartment. They do that to keep the number of zippers low, so there's less to break and also to minimize the number of stitch holes. If you want lots of pockets, you'll need to add belt pouches or other pocket accessories.
Posted By: Bperdue21 Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 01/01/21
If you keep an eye on the classifieds on rokslide you will catch a good deal on a quality pack that will do what you need. There is an eberlestock on here for sale right now.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 01/01/21
Originally Posted by turkish
Has anyone figured out how to shoulder a rifle with a backpack on? I have not. In the whitetail woods of the SE, this is a concern.

I do it the same way as I do it without a backpack on. Maybe I'm doing it wrong both ways so I don't realize I'm doing it wrong.....
They sometimes have 10% off sales on particular holidays, but that's about it. Put a WTB add in the classifieds. You might get a bite.

The Shapecharge doesn't have many pockets though. 2 on top, plus the main compartment. They do that to keep the number of zippers low, so there's less to break and also to minimize the number of stitch holes. If you want lots of pockets, you'll need to add belt pouches or other pocket accessories.

Thanks.

Was going by a review I’d seen. Saying it may be the ideal day pack. Between the shape charge and and the antero that huntsman22 mentioned.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by turkish

I do it the same way as I do it without a backpack on. Maybe I'm doing it wrong both ways so I don't realize I'm doing it wrong.....

Ditto.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 01/01/21

Thanks.

Was going by a review I’d seen. Saying it may be the ideal day pack. Between the shape charge and and the antero that huntsman22 mentioned.

Black Ovis carries Kifaru and they sometimes offer 1-time discounts to new customers or have sales. Kifaru stuff isn't typically marked down much.
i'll check out Black ovis,

thanks
Milsurp ILBE if bulky loads or critter pack-outs are the order of the day. Critter here is a black bear, two trips required for meat/hide and one for gear because I had packed in a tree stand:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I can put two full 5-gallon buckets in this pack (for reference). US made and stronger than it needs to be. MOLLE built for young, strong soldiers that don't complain about how heavy the bare pack is smile

If a lighter pack is needed with less gear or lower chance of critter pack-out, a 45L Kelty internal frame that came from Goodwill. It's perfectly good and I have run it for years. For elk hunting, I wear the little pack knowing that I can get a meat load back and pick up the larger pack for the return trip.

For fishing with chest waders or hiking when a holster is needed, minimal gear, Badlands Monster day pack.
Originally Posted by noKnees
[quote=turkish]Has anyone figured out how to shoulder a rifle with a backpack on? I have not. In the whitetail woods of the SE, this is a concern. [/quote

Sling pack

Yeah, sew a big button (or use a small bolt/nut and remove later) or a small drawer pull on the shoulder strap so the sling won't slide off. Or hold the sling on with your hand.
Originally Posted by Judman
Fuuck is anything made in America anymore?? 😂😂

Yes, mil surp.
Posted By: bjc68 Re: Pack for deer hunting? - 01/03/21
I'll second Eberlestock! Not made here but tge 2 I own are great! I have an X1E that I use for deer hunting. I'm spoiled having a pack with a gun scabbard, makes raising and lowering your gun from your stand so easy! I also like having the gun in the scabbard on the walk in in the dark, dont have to worry about banging it or falling on it. One thing I've noticed is some of the manufacturers are getting away from having tie down straps on the outside of the pack. That would make a pack useless to me as one of the things I do is strap my extra layers to it for the walk in. Good luck with your search!
After season, when folks start to dump gear, I’ll look for a used shape charge.

It’s seems to be real close to what I’m looking for.

I think it’s similar to the Antero huntsman recommended above, but with an extra pocket or 2.
© 24hourcampfire