Home
Posted By: shaman Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
I have been trying to collect designs for a couple of new deer stands. I came across this design:

[Linked Image]

It's German. I see a bunch of places that sell them. I take it that it is a popular design.

Have you ever hunted out of one of these? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

What I'm looking for:

1) I have a couple of new venues I would like to exploit. Both of them require the shooter to be elevated, but not too far. Trees are not available for a normal treestand.
2) One of our hunters is partially paralyzed. He can handle a short ladder, but not a tall one.
3) These venues may or may not work out. I'd like something that is easy to move if required.
4) We have an up and coming hunter-to-be, #1 Granddaughter. The seat has to be big enough for her and another hunter.
5) This is all for November rifle hunting, no bow
That’s got to weigh more than a tri-pod.

And more cumbersome to move.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
I bought a tripod from Sportsmans Guide this year to put in a long right of way
That didn't have any trees to put a ladder stand on. Killed 4 out of it this year. So I like freestanding. That one does look heavy. But it would work. Wome burlap or similar around the top would help hide you.
Posted By: pointer Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
That’s got to weigh more than a tri-pod.

And more cumbersome to move.

This! And with the current price of treated lumber I doubt you could build one like that cheaper than you can buy a tripod for.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
Where are those tripods made?

Something like this wouldn't be moved much anyway. Gives me an idea or 2 for my next semi permanent stand.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
I`ve not. but have friends that do..home made, but almost an exact copy. they set them up in several fields on the farm. They sure work.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
How do you get into the stand? Crawl onto the foot platform and then stand up?
Posted By: JPro Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
I'd rather have a tripod with some burlap zip-tied around the box.
Posted By: hanco Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
Why not build a real stand with comfortable chairs, glass windows and a heater. You don’t get extra points for sitting out in the weather, freezing your ass off. Built this, put it up last summer.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Eye of Hurricane Laura went right over it, didn’t blow it down.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]does la croix have artificial ingredients
One problem is finding a level spot o put it in these rolling hills. I will take my custom built shooting houses.
How is it called "hunting" when you're just sitting on your ass in a house?
Posted By: shaman Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
To answer some questions:

1) The ladder on this is shorter than a tripod stand. One of the main users is partially paralyzed. He could manage what you saw in the pick, but he can't do a normal ladder.
2) You do get in from behind under the seat.
3) We hunt from static positions AKA "sitting on your ass" because it is safer that way. We have a very dense situation-- lots of deer and hunters. It's better to be in one spot than wandering around the woods. I agree that it is somewhat limiting. I prefer not to hunt with a roof over my head-- only do it when it's raining.
4) The only place where I've seen these stands used is Germany. The design seems to be popular over there.
Posted By: Judman Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
1 time in Alberta, spent 2 days in a box blind. Told the outfitter I was done the second night. Guide to us runnin/gunnin, glassing, both killed bucks the next day. I’d just soon not “hunt” if I had to be stuck in a box. Just my opinion. If folks like to sit in box’s, I’m all for it, just not my thing
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

Come east and you'll figure it out. I wish we could move at will through the woods. Even if you have access to enough acreage to roam around without other hunters around, you'd soon wonder if your gun or your machete was more important to you. Next to impossible to move quietly and in flat country you can't see far unless you are elevated. I would prefer to hunt like you guys out west do, but it's impossible here.

Originally Posted by Judman
I’d just soon not “hunt” if I had to be stuck in a box. Just my opinion. If folks like to sit in box’s, I’m all for it, just not my thing

Well, if you lived where I do, you could certainly trade a box in the woods or in a field for the box you call home. Your choice. Terrain dictates tactics.

Shaman, that stand looks like a lifeguard station at the beach.
Posted By: goalie Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
1 time in Alberta, spent 2 days in a box blind. Told the outfitter I was done the second night. Guide to us runnin/gunnin, glassing, both killed bucks the next day. I’d just soon not “hunt” if I had to be stuck in a box. Just my opinion. If folks like to sit in box’s, I’m all for it, just not my thing

I do both, but most of my stand time is in a Summit Viper that I placed based on scouting.

Still hunting and shooting a buck in the rain with a handgun > sniping from my stand, but I do what the weather/situation dictates since I'm in big woods.
Posted By: shaman Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
[q

[Linked Image]

Funny you should mention that. That's another design I was considering. This is an 8 foot version. All I'd have to do is add a shooting rail.
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
Looks like wasps will love it!
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
Originally Posted by shaman
[q

[Linked Image]

Funny you should mention that. That's another design I was considering. This is an 8 foot version. All I'd have to do is add a shooting rail.

I like it! It looks like it is all 2x4, whereas the first one you posted looks like the legs there are 4x4's?
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
Originally Posted by hanco
Why not build a real stand with comfortable chairs, glass windows and a heater. You don’t get extra points for sitting out in the weather, freezing your ass off. Built this, put it up last summer.[/url]

Freezing your ass off in Texas now that's funny!
Posted By: hanco Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/25/21
You’ll get your ass shot wandering around in the woods down here. We ain’t got no sense down here. People shoot anything movin!
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/26/21
Originally Posted by Ken_L
Why not build a real stand with comfortable chairs, glass windows and a heater. You don’t get extra points for sitting out in the weather, freezing your ass off. Built this, put it up last summer.[/url]

Not really, gets windy, cold and high humidity you will get too cold to sit in an open treestand. If you know anything about Texas the panhandle is up against New Mexico, Colorado just a little ways up from there. Sitting in a box blind can get preety cold. Temps in the mid teens are common.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/26/21
Why not build a real stand with comfortable chairs, glass windows and a heater. You don’t get extra points for sitting out in the weather, freezing your ass off. Built this, put it up last summer.

i have used enclosed stands for 20 some years also ,way more comfortable and you will shoot plenty deer out of a enclosed stand too. i feel you can shoot bigger bucks out of enclosed stand too they don`t smell you as easy and its easier to not be seen moving as easy also. good luck,Pete53
Posted By: hanco Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/26/21
Yep, your smell doesn’t get out as easy, not curtains for the windows I open.
Posted By: jwall Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/26/21
This is my preferred deer stand.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

laugh laugh

I stole this pic 'somewhere' I don't remember. grin

Jerry
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/26/21
Looks good, if you can find level ground for it.

Not ready for boxes or tents just yet. Maybe when I get old......
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by jwall
This is my preferred deer stand.

laugh laugh

I stole this pic 'somewhere' I don't remember. grin

Jerry

One of these about 30 miles South of where I live.
Posted By: asheepdog Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/16/21
You’ll get your ass shot wandering around in the woods down here. We ain’t got no sense down here. People shoot anything movin!

Thats a fact! One reason to stay out of the national forests around here.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/16/21
I built a 6x6x8 platform and put a ground blind on top.Killed a 8pt last year and a 5pt this year.Have a comfortable chair and a Buddy heater hooked to a 20lb propane bottle.I like it better than a ladder stand.Stay dry,out of the wind and can move around more.
Posted By: jwleeper Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/16/21
At 79 yrs of age the box blind is looking good to me. When hunting the farm lots here in northern IN one can't be trying to walk around and stalk deer. The 1st thing you will hear are shots from a next door neighbor shooting the deer you drove to them. It's much better to just stay put and watch, Play the wind to get in your hunting spot. I may have a few more hunting years using a box blind.
Have a great day.
Jim
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/17/21
I shot a European wild boar in Argentina over a waterhole from a stand kind of like that.

It really wasn't my way of doing things, but it worked.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/17/21
I like to be mobile. Hasbeen

https://imgur.com/a/rgPV2iY
Posted By: joken2 Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/18/21

Originally Posted by Pappy348
Looks good, if you can find level ground for it.

Not ready for boxes or tents just yet. Maybe when I get old......

^^^ This ^^^

Unless it's meant to be permanent and never moved, seems like some method of leveling stand would be a must. I doubt an elevated stand located on off level ground rocking with every movement would be much fun to hunt from and especially not for someone with mobility issues.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/18/21

Hanco, you got A/C in those?
Posted By: Bobcat85 Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/19/21
Gave up on tree stands years ago....health reasons. Now, I just sit in front door of my barn, dry and able to drink coffee. More like shooting than hunting, but the meat taste the same. Hell getting old but the thrill and fun is still there and the little lady does not worry about me being safe. She has helped me clean all of my deer over the years so hard to argue with my partner!
Posted By: Ccard257 Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/19/21
Yeah I’m in the “if you’re gonna build something that big, quit [bleep] around and just build a good box stand” camp. You can put a small porch on the back and stairs instead of a ladder and not have any worries about access.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/19/21
enclosed stands are so much easier to hunt out of ,dryer and warmer. been using enclosed stands for 30 some years and i do kill decent bucks and see plenty deer too. last fall 2020 was my 1st year with stairs,hand rail and a landing to open the door and it makes it so much safer for young and old too.
Posted By: SKane Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/19/21

Actually, if the panhandle is anything like Oklahoma or Kansas, the cold there is a whole lot different (damp) than what I'm accustomed in the upper midwest and even Canada.
I was never a believer in chilled-to-the-bone before hunting those places but I'll take zero in my home locale over 15 degrees and breezy in those places.
Posted By: lastround Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/19/21
I’ve been hunting out of a shooting house for about ten years. At first, I only used them when the weather was bad, but as I got older it became too difficult to climb into open stands, ladder stands included. Now, at age 77, the shooting houses, either built or bought, is how I can continue to deer hunt. I have several scattered around on trails, on agricultural fields, or overlooking food plots. I intend to continue using them with no shame or regrets as long as they allow me to continue doing one of the things I can still enjoy. To each his own.
Posted By: jwall Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/19/21
Good on ya 'lastround'.

Man there ain't no shame. Stand hunting is the only option in some situations.
Keep On, Keep On, & Keep On.

Jerry
Posted By: SKane Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/19/21
Originally Posted by lastround
I’ve been hunting out of a shooting house for about ten years. At first, I only used them when the weather was bad, but as I got older it became too difficult to climb into open stands, ladder stands included. Now, at age 77, the shooting houses, either built or bought, is how I can continue to deer hunt. I have several scattered around on trails, on agricultural fields, or overlooking food plots. I intend to continue using them with no shame or regrets as long as they allow me to continue doing one of the things I can still enjoy. To each his own.

Whatever keeps you in the game. Good luck this season!
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/19/21
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by lastround

Whatever keeps you in the game. Good luck this season!

I only hope I can still deer hunt at 77, regardless of how I get it done. Go get em.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/19/21
I do 20ft. ladder stands with a platform 4x4x6ft.high closed in to hide the office chair with a roof . I like to be able to sit as long as I want too. I think it should not matter how any body hunt .
Posted By: cas6969 Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/20/21
Lots of confusing posts about these box blinds being easier to hunt out of. That's not true. They're almost impossible to hunt out of.

They do make shooting game a lot easier though.

To each his own. I've seen plenty of ways and places where I thought it would make it way too easy. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't do it a few times before I gave it up. wink
Posted By: hanco Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/20/21
Originally Posted by smokepole

Hanco, you got A/C in those?

No but it is hot sometimes in the early part of the season.
Originally Posted by 44mc
I do 20ft. ladder stands with a platform 4x4x6ft.high closed in to hide the office chair with a roof . I like to be able to sit as long as I want too. I think it should not matter how any body hunt .

Sure is nice when it is raining!
Originally Posted by 44mc

Sure is nice when it is raining!

Yes you can sit up there all day, fool around on the campfire while you hunt.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 04/21/21
Friends of mine have 4 sections high of scaffolding lashed to the end of a workshop. The farm it is on is fairly small and you can see the whole property when up there. When limited in wander room , height makes up for real " hunting" I suppose, Here I just find a nice high rocky out cropping out of the wind , if I wanna "Sit on my arse"
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 05/03/21
Originally Posted by SKane

Actually, if the panhandle is anything like Oklahoma or Kansas, the cold there is a whole lot different (damp) than what I'm accustomed in the upper midwest and even Canada.
I was never a believer in chilled-to-the-bone before hunting those places but I'll take zero in my home locale over 15 degrees and breezy in those places.

Exactly. Humid cold is different just like humid hot is different.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 05/11/21
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

Come east and you'll figure it out. I wish we could move at will through the woods. Even if you have access to enough acreage to roam around without other hunters around, you'd soon wonder if your gun or your machete was more important to you. Next to impossible to move quietly and in flat country you can't see far unless you are elevated. I would prefer to hunt like you guys out west do, but it's impossible here.

I’d just soon not “hunt” if I had to be stuck in a box. Just my opinion. If folks like to sit in box’s, I’m all for it, just not my thing

Well, if you lived where I do, you could certainly trade a box in the woods or in a field for the box you call home. Your choice. Terrain dictates tactics.

Exactly. It's an idiotic argument.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Ever hunted from . . . - 05/11/21

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We built these 3 blinds for disabled vets , we can take them in a wheel chair, up in a elevator, they can bring their wife or another buddy, and also a PH to help them out , and they have a great time, not everyone that wants to hunt and shoot can go walk about. I took these pic's last fall before hunting season we were just finishing painting them. Rio 7
© 24hourcampfire