Home
Posted By: colodog Climbing Tree Stand advice - 09/11/21
I have some Cabela bucks and some gift cards to burn and I need your recommendations on which climbing tree stand to buy.

Cabelas/Bass Pro have API, Summit and Lone Wolf brand climbers.

We live in the NC Sand Hills with a forest of long leaf pine surrounding the hay fields. The trees are straight and tall so that's not a problem.

Of course I'll be in a harness.

I appreciate your help!
I've only owned Summit and have been pleased. My current stand is a Summit Goliath rated for 350 lbs. It's big, roomy, and super comfortable. It's very stable, easy climbing and cable is easily adjusted. Can't go wrong with a Summit. https://www.summitstands.com/summit-goliath-sd-climbing-treestand-mossy-oakr-camo
I've got two API Grand Slams and I love them. I cut the seat back off because I think it gets in my way.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/api-outdoors-alumi-tech-grand-slam-extreme-climbing-treestand
Posted By: jeeper Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 09/11/21

I have been getting by with a Lone Wolf sit and climb for about 20 years. It folds up really flat and tucks into your back for easy carry especially with a hip belt and padded straps added. Really quiet stand climbing the tree with. I also have a really light Summit I may give a try this year. It doesn't fold up near as flat for carry but I will see how it works out.
Posted By: colodog Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 09/11/21
Thanks so much for your replies!
You've confirmed what I had suspected, Nobody can make junk and survive in the market.
I'll read their reviews again and make a choice that'll work fine I'm sure.

Have a great hunt season!
Posted By: goalie Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 09/11/21
Summit Viper has been good to me, but I'm under 200 lbs
Thanks Goalie, I am under 200 too and I don't have to carry the climber far, I'll be here on the farm.

Life was so simple when I was out walking and sneaking through the trees and sagebrush out West.....

It's a different game and I have a lot to learn but I have 2 buck and 4 doe tags, Woohoo!
Summit 180 Max so you can use the tree to rest off on. Tip: Put your hand between the rifle and tree when shooting. Needs a cushion to it doesn't rebound off the hard surface, throwing your shot wide.

I have a Viper and a Goliath. For me, the Viper is great until cooler weather hits and the Goliath is much more comfortable with the extra room.
I used to have a Summit Viper. Use to as it got stolen. It was the easiest and most comfortable stand I have ever used. They make two versions of the Summit Viper, aluminum and steel, get the aluminum version. I tried an API I think it was and the climbing cables hung up on the tree bark making it very hard to climb and get back down. Not the case with the Summit.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 09/11/21
I have 2 Lone Wolf climbers. The one I use the most is 14 lbs. It packs very easily and is very quiet. It is NOT comfortable though when sitting for more than a few hours and when it is cold. I have a heavier one that I rarely use. I use the lighter one cause it is almost always law to take down your stand whenever you leave when it comes to public land in Wisconsin. I wouldnt leave it in the woods on public land anyway for obvious reasons. The seat is hard and small, it climbs very well however.
I ordered a Summit Viper SD Ultra and burned up three gift cards and my Cabela bucks.

Thanks for the tips and reminders about size, weight, comfort and not bouncing a rifle off a tree and throwing a shot.

It's archery season but I'll wait for it to cool off a bit and I'll have the stand for muzzleloader season.

Thanks a bunch!
I had api great stand till some Bastid stole it ol man climbers are death traps prefer ladder stands now in my older years
I have a Summit Viper SD and a Lone Wolf Wide Sit and Climb 2. Both have their perks. The LW packs up super flat and I can put it on the meat shelf of my Kifaru Stryker XL pack to haul in long distances super comfortably. The Summit is definitely more roomy and comfortable. I like the cable adjustment of the LW a lot more, as you can fine tune it a lot better. The LW is a lot quieter to setup and use too. Early season short sits or long distance walks I'll use the LW as it's just so much easier to pack in and sacrifice some comfort. All day sits during the rut I'll use the Summit as it's just so comfortable.

Get a set of 3rd Hand Archery stabilizing straps for whatever you buy. It makes climbers so rock solid and stable when you're up in the tree and done climbing. I would not use a climber without without now. They are that good.
I have owned all three and slightly give the edge to summit. All great stands tho. Keep an eye on the weight of the stand depending on how far you are hiking with it. It seems silly, but a couple pounds can make a big difference on your shoulders and back depending on how far u are going!
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 09/12/21
I quit climbing but when I did I used a Summit Titan. Lots of room for tall people. If I was looking now I might look at the Lone Wolf.
Originally Posted by colodog
I ordered a Summit Viper SD Ultra and burned up three gift cards and my Cabela bucks.

Thanks for the tips and reminders about size, weight, comfort and not bouncing a rifle off a tree and throwing a shot.

It's archery season but I'll wait for it to cool off a bit and I'll have the stand for muzzleloader season.

Thanks a bunch!

Colodog
Like others have said get the third hand archery stabilizer straps, they will make that climber rock solid. I bought the third hand molle stand packing system also. Take care of that Summit and all you will have to do is put new shrink tubing on the cables every 5 years.
Lone Wolf
Posted By: Kentac Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 09/20/21
Have had excellent results with Summit as well.
Posted By: keith Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 09/21/21
Always wear a safety harnes, knew two guys that did not that have broken backs, one a climber broke, the other fell asleep.
Originally Posted by keith
Always wear a safety harnes, knew two guys that did not that have broken backs, one a climber broke, the other fell asleep.

It's an absolute must.

I ditched the harness that came with my tree stand and went with a Hunter Safety System Pro. I'm a big guy (6'3" 280 lbs) and the 2/3X fits me with plenty of room to spare. It's is way easier to put on than the harness that came with my summit stand. It fits easily under a coat in late season. I recommend it highly. Despite some reviews, it comes with a tree strap, or you can use the one that came with your stand, they look essentially the same. I bought some carabiners to attach the lead to the strap, or you can just feed the tree strap through the lead loop. It's easier to disconnect the carabiner, though.

https://huntersafetysystem.com/collections/harness-pre-load/products/hss-pro-series-1
I hunt in Pines in AL. Im a big SOB so I use a Summit Titan. I dont have to carry it. Just pull up to a tree on my atv and set it up. Pretty comfortable for my 6’1” 285 lb frame. I might choose something different if I was smaller and had to carry it.
Op you bought a model that faces away from the tree. You may want to work out something for a shooting stick depending on how you use it. A telescoping shooting stick stuck down in a knee high rubber boot is one way to do it.

I put the safety harness strap around the tree and slide it up as I climb.
Posted By: Kentac Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 09/24/21

Great advice for sure!!
Posted By: pullit Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 09/27/21
I have had Summit and API, as well as others. I liked API best. YMMV
Posted By: las Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 09/28/21
Tree Lounge.
Originally Posted by las
Tree Lounge.

I had one of the original ones from when the
old man was still alive. Ok , but more shaky
than I cared for.
The Doc's Recliner is a better version IMO
Not shaky at all and not as rickety
Posted By: JRaw Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 10/17/21
On the Summit the OP can adjust the seat - as high as possible for archery (so the bar is low) or as low as possible (so the bar is high enough to use as a rest, at least for elbow or forearm). Also, Summit sells an add-on shooting rail.
I don't climb anymore, but when I did, and when I taught a lot of younger people to hunt from a tree, we always started out slow,
and low to the ground, always with the most modern, safest harness we could get!
Tree stands have come a long way, and the Safety equipment is second to none as it should be!
My oldest Son hunts from a tree stand a lot, and we talk about it a lot as I taught him yrs. ago!
Practice is best before you go out, that way you can sit there and determine what else you would need,
Like for Bow Hunting, hooks to hang our stuff around us for comfortable shooting, and, it can also help in concealment!
Know your trees, which ones are best to climb, and which ones are best not to!
Always pick good solid trees, that are green and safe! Never climb a dead tree!
Even if it's in that one spot that you just know you have to be!
A lot of common sense! I had a friend climb a tree with poison Oak all around it! Not Good!
Do your research and pick out what's best for you and your style of Hunting!
I used Summit, as did a lot of my hunting buddies, and loved it!
I would even use added non slip strips for wet conditions, so as not to slip and fall, or have a mishap!
I would also hike in with one pair of boots, and change to a more comfortable climbing boot!
Some guys can't sit long, and need to go up and down a lot!
When I did my re search, and scouting, I'd get into a tree, and usually stay awhile!
I like what 10Glocks posted, you cant put a price on safety!
HS58, thanks for the mention of the tree type for a tree stand. I've yet to see that addressed here before. I've always favored white spruce or white pines for tree perching. Then one day I found a nicely placed white cedar and decided to hang a stand. Big mistake. Cedar has a very open cell structure and weak for size wood. I was sitting on a limb about 3" in diameter adjusting my hang on stand when that limb came out of the main trunk like the knuckle of a chicken bone. I has headed to the ground head first, but had the presence of mind to grab the hook on my stand at the last instant.

As long as I'm on near misses, check and double clamp those cables. Mine are all converted to chain now because one side of a cable clamp cable pulled through. Way too exciting to experience that again.
If you’re using a climber make sure you use a strap or rope to tie the lower part of the stand to the upper. I always used two, one on each side so if the bottom slipped off my feet it didn’t go anywhere and was level.

I started with a climbing Amacker and eventually went to the Old Man with the net seat. Depending on where I was hunting I’d either face the tree or away from it.
Summit Titan, lots of room and comfortable.
Posted By: goalie Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 10/21/21
Originally Posted by Scout308

I already have a Viper, and was looking at the Titan for the land behind my cabin.

Have you used a Viper, and, if you have, is the size increase really noticable?
Originally Posted by goalie

I already have a Viper, and was looking at the Titan for the land behind my cabin.

Th viper is to small for me. I feel too confined.. the size is very notable and the platform is larger, with the titan..

Th viper is to small for me. I feel too confined.. the size is very notable and the platform is larger, with the titan..

Thanks!

I like the viper a lot, but I'd like bigger if I'm not carrying it too far.

6' 190lbs send to be "ok" in the viper, but it's not exactly "roomy."

Yeah my FIL broke his back climbing into his ladder stand in the rain
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 10/21/21
Whatever climbing stand you choose, inspect it thoroughly and often.
Everytime you use it.
Everytime you take it down.
Cables, welds, tubing, straps, seat... anything that can crack, bend, tear or fail.

Preventative maintenance. Change load-bearing safety straps as soon as they show any wear and tear.
Limit longer term weather exposure.
You are trusting it with your life. Give it the time and attention it deserves!

And, what HS58 said regarding trees, be picky in choosing trees! Watch for overhead deadfalls and widowmaker limbs! Standing dead ash or poplar are easy to judge as safe when they really are not. If you climb up, and the stand does not feel right (level or out of adjustment) go ahead and go back down and re-adjust the stand. Don't try that while up in the tree attached and take a chance of a fall. Don't suffer through an uncomfortable sit/hunt. It will take less time to just get it right from the start.

Thanks!

Go with the titan or goliath. The platform on the goliath is the standard size not the larger one that the titan has. That's the only difference between the two is the platform size.
I'm not so sure about those poplar trees though. I haven't trusted a climber since my old Baker tree stand peeled both sides of a poplar tree like a banana on a fast way to the bottom. I'm sure climbers have come a long way since those early Bakers. Maybe I give deer too much credit for seeing me, but fully exposed on the side of a bare tree seems to me a good way to be seen and avoided. I've been an evergreen stand guy when ever I felt the need to climb something.
The problem with climbers is that the perfect tree for one is never in a good place for a stand.
I was foolish enough to buy one once. I sold that heavy noisy POS real fast.
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
The problem with climbers is that the perfect tree for one is never in a good place for a stand.

If it was heavy and noisy, you had the wrong climber.

But, yeah, you need appropriate trees, of which I have many.

You're saying that you can carry one through the woods, set it up and climb a tree without making any noise?
The sounds they make climbing can be heard a long ways off.
You make noise walking in. More than setting up and climbing.

But, yeah, my viper climbs quiet. Carries quiet. Sets up quiet.

They put spray foam in the tubes to dampen noise, and the cables are rubber coated.
Posted By: skeen Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 10/21/21

I'm with ya.'

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thanks!

Go with the titan or goliath. The platform on the goliath is the standard size not the larger one that the titan has. That's the only difference between the two is the platform size.

Just ordered a Titan to keep at my cabin. Sportsman's Warehouse has free shipping, $375 delivered with tax.

I hope that SOB is as comfy as it looks!!!!
Posted By: SPK Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 10/21/21
Summit Viper for me and I am about 200 lbs. Four to five minutes to set up around the tree and pretty quiet in my opinion. Comfortable, as far as climbing stands go.
Posted By: goalie Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 10/22/21
Originally Posted by SPK
Summit Viper for me and I am about 200 lbs. Four to five minutes to set up around the tree and pretty quiet in my opinion. Comfortable, as far as climbing stands go.

I love my viper, but I've been looking at another to keep at my cabin, where I've got about 10 acres of back lot I muzzle load on.

The Titan was bigger, and cheaper!

I'll be interested in how much more comfy being bigger makes it.
Posted By: goalie Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 10/23/21
Thanks for the motivation to get another stand guys. My viper is toast, just found some damage to it this morning, and I already had three Titan ordered, so I won't be limited to non-mobile hunting this season.
A lot of good points brought up here, and some great reminders!
Just like a rock Climber, always check your Equipment!
Heck it's always easy to run out to have fun, and I'm all for it, but the best laid plans,
can go sideways!
I can't tell you How many times I couldn't find the right tree where my scouting put me, so I,
was able to still hunt on the ground and was very successful,
besides learning a lot!
You can't beat getting up in a tree, and being patient!
You can see a lot,(naturally), and learn a lot!
Good Luck!
Posted By: goalie Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 10/28/21
The Summit Titan is gonna be awesome.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I only have 10 acres behind my cabin, plus another 15 my neighbor let's me use, so the larger size shouldn't be an issue carrying it in.

The backpack straps are much nicer, and the zippered-on padding is much better than the old zip tied padding on my viper.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 10/28/21

You're saying that you can carry one through the woods, set it up and climb a tree without making any noise?
The sounds they make climbing can be heard a long ways off.

They can and do make noise but I've also re-positioned mine while deer were bedded less than 100' out without their so much as flinching.
Posted By: goalie Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 10/29/21
The new Summit seems to be noticably quieter with the sound deadening foam they put in the tubing. 😁
I use an API Grand Slam and my son uses a Summit Viper. Both are good stands and both are comfortable.

Get you a good harness. Not the ones that come with the stand, but go buy a good one. I use a Hunter Safety System that's got some pockets on it, but it's not the full vest. It's just like putting on a shirt, no trying to figure out 'which way is up'.

I fell out of a tree stand, wasn't wearing a harness, and it's no fun. frown
Posted By: goalie Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 10/30/21
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I use an API Grand Slam and my son uses a Summit Viper. Both are good stands and both are comfortable.

Get you a good harness. Not the ones that come with the stand, but go buy a good one. I use a Hunter Safety System that's got some pockets on it, but it's not the full vest. It's just like putting on a shirt, no trying to figure out 'which way is up'.

I fell out of a tree stand, wasn't wearing a harness, and it's no fun. frown

I have 6-7 of the harnesses that came with stands. They suck.

I agree with the "buy a good harness" recommendation. One with good, low profile attachments that you can adjust once, then just click in makes it easy and fast, which makes it harder to rationalize not using it.

I don't even go in ladder stand without one.
I agree with the cheap harness vs quality one. The cheap ones will make you not want to use one.

I only have 10 acres behind my cabin, plus another 15 my neighbor let's me use, so the larger size shouldn't be an issue carrying it in.

The backpack straps are much nicer, and the zippered-on padding is much better than the old zip tied padding on my viper.

If it were me I would use a rubberized paint on the bottom section, to prevent my boots from slipping, and while it's drying,
Sprinkle a little gripping sand on the wet paint!
There's always moisture on the bottom of my soles when I'm trying to climb into my Stand!
Great Stand! Good Luck! Stay Safe! Enjoy!!!
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58

If it were me I would use a rubberized paint on the bottom section, to prevent my boots from slipping, and while it's drying,
Sprinkle a little gripping sand on the wet paint!
There's always moisture on the bottom of my soles when I'm trying to climb into my Stand!
Great Stand! Good Luck! Stay Safe! Enjoy!!!

I'll think about that.

I used my viper for at least 13-14 years with no issues, but some traction would be nice.
I’ve been using climbers since the homemade angle iron days of the early seventies.

I’m high speed low drag and prefer the Summit with Hazmore net and backrest

https://hazmore.net/pages/summit-back-rest

I use a rock climbing harness, waist/half body. You don’t need that dufus dangling in the air type because the trick is to cinch up the slack where it’s impossible to fall out.

I use this line

https://huntersafetysystem.com/collections/lifelines-manual/products/reflective-lifeline

I’m pretty able body so I use a descender also

Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I’ve been using climbers since the homemade angle iron days of the early seventies.

I use a rock climbing harness, lower body only

I use this line

https://huntersafetysystem.com/collections/lifelines-manual/products/reflective-lifeline

Aaaaaand ordered.

Thanks!!!!

Old and new
The Hazmore or the rope?

My rifle and backpack go up when I go up too.

On the Net seat, I put it together with para cord not zip ties
Just got a report from a group of Fellow hunters, from Coshocton County, Ohio, where the Big Bucks are known to be!
A hunter, 48 yrs old from Conneticut, fell to his Death, in a tree, With no Safety Harness!
Stupid!!!

I use a rock climbing harness, waist/half body. You don’t need that dufus dangling in the air type because the trick is to cinch up the slack where it’s impossible to fall out.

I use this line

Is the net seat comfy? It looks like it would make everything simple packing in and out, but I stay in that sucker a LONG time, as the "afternoon rush" when all the other hunters go in and out had been productive for me over the years.
The Hazmore or the rope?

My rifle and backpack go up when I go up too.

On the Net seat, I put it together with para cord not zip ties

I already use that lifeline. I prefer to put it up the first time, then just clip onto the prussic and be climbing without raising the rope a zillion times in the dark. Then, last time it comes down with me.
I’ve put countless hours in net seats, I like them. Also if you want to sit a little lower you can order the net for the larger stand.

Not many sit longer than I

You can see the safety line even on my ladder stand. 😉

I’ve put countless hours in net seats, I like them. Also if you want to sit a little lower you can order the net for the larger stand.

My new one is the Titan, so I have to.
The net makes things much more simple in many respects. He has some videos on his site.

https://hazmore.net/pages/summit-titan-tree-stand-setup
If you are gonna have a factory summit seat you might as well buy the big assed wrap around
If you are gonna have a factory summit seat you might as well buy the big assed wrap around

That is kinda what I was thinking. And it's not like I can't try out the net seat and go back if I don't like it.

At this point, the whole setup costs less than a box of 30-30 shells.....
Back in the day when I used an Old man with net, the net material was thinner. If I was going for an all day sit I’d bring a towel to lay on the net. Really haven’t needed to do that with the Haz-net. Its nice to push the net back and have room to stand and stretch or take a piss too. Its also nice not to have the seat all in your way while climbing.

I use a camo curtain or chunk of burlap hung off my rail to conceal movements.

I also hang a mesh (net) pocket on my front rail for my phone, gloves, and such. They have zillions on Amazon

It's all ordered up.
I’ll post some pics of how I rigged up my net, maybe next week
I’ll post some pics of how I rigged up my net, maybe next week

Next week I will be in mine. A lot. 😉
I’ll try tomorrow
I wove everything with 550 cord. On the front of the seat is that black webbing that will run across the top and bottom, I took a hot nail and pushed it through to create holes to tie those pieces together as I didn’t like the separation up front. That loop is to run my summit cinch strap through when I have the two pieces of the stand together for packing. My pack straps are not on these pics because most of the time I just carry it with one hand.

Posted By: goalie Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 11/01/21
That looks good. I'm glad I ordered the stuff
If you use a pull rope, his little pouch works great for keeping that in. I use the arm pads too. I don’t use a front rail pad.
Posted By: goalie Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 11/01/21
If you use a pull rope, his little pouch works great for keeping that in. I use the arm pads too. I don’t use a front rail pad.

The new Titan I bought had sweet zip on rail pads. And I use a pull rope, so that pouch will be nice.
Good thing is many options.
Posted By: goalie Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 11/04/21

Even came in time for the opener
Cool
Posted By: goalie Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 11/05/21

Much less bulk. We'll see how comfortable it is this coming week.
Much less bulk indeed.

Bring some cord with you in the event you find it better to tie the foward black trim together

Looks good
Let us know how it went Goalie
Posted By: goalie Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 11/11/21
Let us know how it went Goalie

Love it. The bigger Titan is nice. I only carried it a half mile in, so the size, weight didn't bother me.

The sling seat is great other than I being cold. I used a foam pad the after the first day.

The seat and backrest make it a lot less bulky. It was also easier to put my day pack onto the back without the big foam seat there.
I’m glad it worked for ya. I can only laugh at the coincidence. The rifle I use with this treestand is a Marlin 336 LTS.

Posted By: goalie Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 11/12/21
I’m glad it worked for ya. I can only laugh at the coincidence. The rifle I use with this treestand is a Marlin 336 LTS.

That's a GBSL (stainless, nitride 45/70)

My 30-30 is a Contender with a can. 😉
I had one of those but my dad talked me out of it, they are made for abuse.

I replaced it by cutting down a 444 XLR to 20”
Posted By: goalie Re: Climbing Tree Stand advice - 11/12/21
I had one of those but my dad talked me out of it, they are made for abuse.

I replaced it by cutting down a 444 XLR to 20”

I've spent several hours in freezing rain the last few days. That rifle is perfect for bad weather.
Yes they are
A page or two back there was a mention of what kind of tree it is best to put your tree stand on. There was a piece on the local news here last evening that I think is worth passing along. The Midwest is infested with the emerald ash borer and if the ash trees aren't dead already, they will be soon. Now that the leaves are off the trees and ash trees are fairly prevalent out in the woods, a guy can't tell if a tree is dead or alive and a lot of the ash bark is compromised and slipping. A good clue is woodpecker holes in a tree trunk as a don't climb that one warning. Ash tree bark is pretty distinctive and a guy should know what it looks like.
© 24hourcampfire