Home
While deer hunting this weekend, I ran into to this cool old "No Vehicles Allowed" sign in an overgrown CRP field on some KDWPT land.

I suspect no vehicles have been that way in decades. smile

Anyways, I was able to tag a buck and luckily two of my sons (one human and one of my shepherds smile ) were in the area and showed up with a game cart like the cavalry to take over on getting him out of there.

Thank god for young men, German Shepherds, and game carts. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice to have help when we get older. What brand of game cart is that?

Congrats of the nice Buck !
Congrats on a Good Buck. Yes, game carts are nice. I sometimes hunt an area where no vehicles are allowed also. It is on the back side of a swamp. the only way to get to and from the stand is to walk about a quarter of a mile down some old rail road train tracks that have not been used in many years. The game cart sure comes in handy. but pulling it down a 1/4 mile of railroad ties makes for a bumpy trip.
Nice, game carts beat the heck out of a long drag for sure.

Congrats
Always been a drag or quarter it kind of guy, but this year changed my mind. I was hunting a large piece of public ground here in East TN, thought of it more of a scouting trip and didn’t bring my pack. Well, as luck would have it, killed a pretty big one far back in. After that drag out, I promptly bought a game cart, which my kids now use to ferry themselves around in. Hopefully it will get used for its intended purpose next year.

Congrats on a nice buck!
Congrats on the buck and liked the report of the transportation of same.
Nice buck and video
Nice!
i always reach out to my son anymore to see if he's nearby after shooting one..... grin
Congrats on the buck - and the sherpa.
Awesome buck! Congrats.

It's always nice to have a helper on the retrieval. laugh
Congrats....he looks like he was carrying some extra weight....

Not sure how that cart would work on a mountain side hill here in Pa...combined with a downed tree or large branch in the path....
Well done!
Congrats! Very nice buck!
Very well done! WIsh I could still haul out bucks for Dad.
Nice buck!
Never thought I would get to the point in this game where I would call for help! When it comes to making a call or quit Deer hunting, well that is what cell phones are for!
Great implements on level ground. Had a buddy that did not want to do the backpacking deal anymore and hauled a cart into this ground. The next season when I climbed the hill, his cart was still there. No way can one sidehill in that terrain.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
You'd be surprised at where you can get a loaded PackWheel to go......
Originally Posted by 1minute
Great implements on level ground. Had a buddy that did not want to do the backpacking deal anymore and hauled a cart into this ground. The next season when I climbed the hill, his cart was still there. No way can one sidehill in that terrain.

Yeah, man, that terrain is a little more "side-hilly" than I hunt. smile

This is about as wild and crazy as my hunting terrain is...to be fair though, I've twisted an ankle more then once on limestone. laugh

But if you've got a buck down in the Flint Hills, 1/2 to 2 miles back, that game cart makes a world of difference versus the ol' drag'n rope.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by 1911a1
What brand of game cart is that?

1911, my friend, that is a Cabela's Super Mag Hauler.

Man, it's hauled out a bunch of Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma bucks.

Unfortunately, Cabela's doesn't sell 'em anymore. But here is one similar, maybe the same cart branded differently, on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Leader-Accessories-Hauler-Hunting-Capacity/dp/B00LIHHBYC
Caught poacher wheeling a 8pt out in a wheelbarrow and his mom when she came back to pick him up. DA wouldn't press charges against his mom.
We've used the cart on occasion when needed, and their great!
My only suggestion, is to put slime in the pneumatic tires,
to keep from getting flats with thorns, and such!
I have one of those carts with articulating dual wheels stashed on my WMA. Good design, but it weighs over 40lbs empty, so the total package is pretty hefty. Just bought one of the ones that are like a little johnboat. Came with a set of skids for the bottom. I think it’ll work better, but can’t get a volunteer for a test run.
Originally Posted by skeen

1911, my friend, that is a Cabela's Super Mag Hauler.

Mine's been used hard since 2009, but it got no love this year, since a sled works better in the snow.

I've rebuilt my Cabela's Super Mag Hauler twice now. The early ones had spokes that came loose and tangled in the grass. Then I went to 21" dirt bike wheels and tires and the thing worked well, but had a high a center of gravity and was heavy. My latest rebuild used Nylon spoked solid tire wheelchair wheels and it is near perfect now. Now I use a heavy sled because it is lighter, takes up less room in the truck and has a lower center of gravity. It slides over frozen ground, grass and snow just fine and pulled with my Rokon, even better.
Nice job! That is a big ol heavy buck, Those carts do come in mighty handy, I use one when I hunt in Ohio but unfortunately the terrian i hunt locally is much too steep and rugged for a cart but a $25 plastic sled hauler from Rural King makes it a little easier.....Hb
Congrats!
God spells his name with a capital “G”.
I usually have one around, but also don't use it...yet...if it's an hour walk to the truck, I just go ahead go ahead and drag it. I suppose one day if I get a 250 pounder, I'd use it.
Great for moving a lot of things. We used one to move all the lumber for the porch from the road on the otherside of the house. During duck season I had a mile hike from the house to the duck blind and my dog(shown) would get harnessed to the cart and pull it loaded with decoys out to the bay. I have an extended handle for it so I didnt have to bend over to steer,

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Mine came in handy for other things too. I ordered a 6' juniper tree because I figured that I didn't have lots of time left to grow one that big. Trouble was just the root ball was a few hundred pounds. I knew I was in for a tussle when they had to load it on my trailer with a fork lift. The deer hauler worked perfectly to get it into the back yard. I also made up a clamp on trailer hitch for my hauler after a buck on the hauler passed me and the atv on a down hill when I used a too long a rope to pull it.
I have used these carts to haul some big deer out in NE and KS. They are great tools.

I recently was looking into hunting the Hoosier National Forest in Indiana. I was looking at the Charles Deam Wilderness area. The rules seem to prohibit the use of these carts in the wilderness area portion of the forest, which surprised me.

Anyone else run into this?
Originally Posted by Ogdonia
I have used these carts to haul some big deer out in NE and KS. They are great tools.

I recently was looking into hunting the Hoosier National Forest in Indiana. I was looking at the Charles Deam Wilderness area. The rules seem to prohibit the use of these carts in the wilderness area portion of the forest, which surprised me.

Anyone else run into this?
Wheeled anything are prohibited on any federally designated wilderness areas. IIRC the trails there are maintained by some volunteers using horses/mules and drag style graders on the graveled sections.
Pretty cool. That sign would look great in a hunting cabin. Congratulations on the buck.
Originally Posted by erich
Great for moving a lot of things. We used one to move all the lumber for the porch from the road on the otherside of the house. During duck season I had a mile hike from the house to the duck blind and my dog(shown) would get harnessed to the cart and pull it loaded with decoys out to the bay. I have an extended handle for it so I didnt have to bend over to steer,

Good job on a temp handle extention. The one I bought from Cabelas was short ended (same length either side of the axles) used it once that way and that was enough. Took it over to my bud Tommy's place and cut the handle off about 6" from the end. We then insert.pieces of galvanized conduit in the square tubing extending the handle out far enough to hold on it for pulling or pushing without being bent over, welded them in place. Worked like a charm. Axle ends are pinned with spring pin retainer to hold on the wheels for easy takedown. A guy is smart to replace them up from with cotter keys. Mine has solid tires , more shock but I live in cactus country. ...mb
Do have one like erich's above. Handles are way too short and it sees rare use. Need to do an extension like his.
I bought my first game cart last season. I leave it in the back of the truck all season. It sure beats dragging my ATV around all season plus it works very well. Glad I made the investment. We’ve hauled 7 out with it this season.

This is my 9 year old. They make it so easy.
Those plastic kiddie sleds work pretty good too.
I'm getting to where I just do the gutless method and use a plastic sled looking thing if I can't get the truck pretty close.
Life's just better with a German Shepherd.

The buck is the icing....
I guess
I don't understand not putting it in a pack
© 24hourcampfire