Home
I’ve built a half dozen skinny racks through the years.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Many times I've hung them from the front end loader on the tractor.
Originally Posted by hanco

I give; WTH is a skinny rack?
it’s a skinning rack but with an energetic little “y” doing the “ing” work for it! 😎
Pear tree in the back yard for many years, apple tree now
Originally Posted by SKane
I give; WTH is a skinny rack?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
LOL
Hang from a tree at camp till cool. Let processor skin if getting meat done up. If we're going to process the deer ourselves - friend down the road has a nice shop with a blood spattered fork lift. Works well and pretty much infinitely adjustable.
I have a singletree that was used with harness to pull a wagon or cart Usually one horse or mule. Actual word is Swingletree, but no one uses it now days. It has an iron hook on each end that the trace chains fasten to that fits nicely above a deer's hock and an iron ring in the center that I hook to a chain hoist that is hung from the garage trusses
Gambrels, on either chain block, or a come-a-long, from the beams of my workshop !

Pear tree in the backyard

We don't hang ours we use a skinning and gutting saw horse, once they are skinned and gutted,we hang them and wash them down, then put them in the cooler.

Just noticed there 3 campfire guy's in this picture, we were having a great time.

Rio7
We’re hanging from the Kabota.
Hackberry tree. Have a hoist and gambrel set rated to 600lbs, with a locking gizmo. Even the Secretary of War can lift one with that.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

somebody hurry your azz over here and get to skinning. This sucker's getting heavy.....
The weather looks so nice where everyone is!

Deer gun season here is usually after all the farmers get done harvesting, which means the hanging critters may need thawed some years or the shop needs heated a bit...not always good and definitely puts the aging to a halt. One year I drug the critters in the kitchen to thaw and skinned them on the floor.

I like to do them in the field, quarter them into game bags and cooler age them, but that cuts into the hunting.

Deer are like squirrels; the skinning is a hell of a lot quicker the closer they are to being alive.
[Linked Image]

Camp porch
Trees, rafters, tractor and loader, three poles, cattle rack, improvise.
What a beast......
No trees, buildings, etc.......

Hog spreader on a chain from front end loader at Dads.

Skin them on the tailgate if doing it here.
Originally Posted by RIO7

We don't hang ours we use a skinning and gutting saw horse, once they are skinned and gutted,we hang them and wash them down, then put them in the cooler.

Just noticed there 3 campfire guy's in this picture, we were having a great time.

Rio7
I see some people in there that I know.
I use a couple of steel gambrels, one of which my late Father-in-law had the welder on the Mississippi river tow boat that He worked on make. Scaled from a drawing in a magazine, but heaver metal. I use them with ATV winches fastened to an large oak in the back yard. Cable running up to a pulley on a large limb. Have two to use, so can hang two deer at a time. Seldom cold enough to let them hang except for overnight, but I have a fridge in my shop where I can quarter and cool for a few days. Made a skinning rack, from pictures and measurements made from RIO7's place. miles
If it has to be moved any distance, my llamas will be doing it. In that case, it gets skinned and quartered on the ground. If it gets home intact, I have a large locust tree in the yard with a big limb at just the right height. The 1st time I used that tree, my wife objected to having a dead deer outside her kitchen window. I said it's not a deer. A deer is walking around on 4 legs. This is meat, just like you cook for dinner. When she thought about it that way, she totally accepted it and never objected again.
Gambrel and chain block in the shed
at my deer camp we have a pole with a guy wire steel bitch arm attached to the shed, that`s on the shaded side of shed and wide enough to drive the wheeler with the small trailer with the deer in it.we always skin the legs out before we hang the deer -bear or what ever with block and tackle. out west either a decent tree or my reciever hitch steel post set - up with block and tackle, for elk and deer shot in the ruffer country we ground skin and quarter our animals .
At deer camps I use their skinING rack. This one utilized a boat winch to hoist the deer up.
If you look close, above his L antler is a scale to weigh on.

At home I simply use a tree.

L O L

In my back yard.

Jerry
I use a large capstan boat winch with rope bolted to the side of the garage and a rafter in the garage with pulleys. Speaking of pulleys, we were hanging three deer at the cottage and the guys were using a single roller pulley off the rafter and struggling. I’m no mechanical engineer, but I taught the guys that using two multiple roller pulleys makes lifting a deer way easier. I dropped a 12 point way back and hung him high off a tree limb to quarter him with the two multiple roller sailing pulleys and 50’ of rope that I keep in my pack. Look at any industrial crane and they always use a pulley on the hook end, never a single line pull.
Throw them on the tailgate of the truck. Skin one side and put meat on ice in cooler. Flip them over, skin the other side and put meat on ice in cooler. Toss whatever isnt needed to make the animal legal (head, evidence of sex etc...) into the bushes.
After a good washing out and cleaning - they are transfered to
the front porch (hung head down) to be aged- and later processed in camp
Originally Posted by wldthg
After a good washing out and cleaning - they are transfered to
the front porch (hung head down) to be aged- and later processed in camp

Man, wldthg, that front buck is a big ol' fatty. wink
Everybody makes fun of my butchering coat but I don't care, lol. Been happy with this setup when it is hot out...

Yes, I know those aren't deer.

Otherwise I prefer to bring them home to skin them mechanically

And chill in a pop cooler I got for free

Skeen----- yes it is---- I've been stumped by this one ever since the photo was taken ---- We all throw in a dollar and guess the weight of our bucks. Then weigh it. (Field dressed ) ---- Our scales always are within a pound or two of the offical check in scales the state of Vermont uses. ---- this big hog only weighed 157 lbs. on our scales. I wished we double checked the weight of this one. His neck alone weighs as much as some of the spikehorns I've shot. The same hunter holds the camp record of 186 lbs but this one seems larger. The first 50 bucks we shot in the 1970's -80's camp record was 126 lbs.
----------thanks Web
I'm usually in rough country in the sagebrush hills. In recent years I've skinned most of my deer on a plastic tarp. I know it's easier to have them hanging, but I don't have a good setup for that where I'm hunting.
Whatever will hold steady long enough to get
the skin off. Everything is gravy after that and
just takes a few minutes
Big pecan tree with the hoist hooked to a horizontal limb. Been a lot of venison cleaned right there.
Originally Posted by MAC
Throw them on the tailgate of the truck. Skin one side and put meat on ice in cooler. Flip them over, skin the other side and put meat on ice in cooler. Toss whatever isnt needed to make the animal legal (head, evidence of sex etc...) into the bushes.
I know that it is not always feasible, but I much prefer my meat to stay on the bone for a few days, before deboning. Seems to make the meat much more tender. If I have to put it in the fridge, everything stays on the bone except the tenderloins. miles
Originally Posted by Windfall
I use a large capstan boat winch with rope bolted to the side of the garage and a rafter in the garage with pulleys. Speaking of pulleys, we were hanging three deer at the cottage and the guys were using a single roller pulley off the rafter and struggling. I’m no mechanical engineer, but I taught the guys that using two multiple roller pulleys makes lifting a deer way easier. I dropped a 12 point way back and hung him high off a tree limb to quarter him with the two multiple roller sailing pulleys and 50’ of rope that I keep in my pack. Look at any industrial crane and they always use a pulley on the hook end, never a single line pull.

Used a snatch block with a truck winch.
A big Elm in the backyard. I hope it outlives me.
A chain around the beam in the garage. Then skin around the neck and slit the skin on the front legs. We put a skinning clamp on the hide and pull it off with an ATV
My deck. I've got a pully mounted up there, that you can see at the top of the picture, and a boat cleat. I run a rope through the pully and pull them up with the tractor and tie it off with a shorter rope onto the boat cleat. After I skin it down to the front legs, I strip it off with the tractor.

Found pic of another rack, think I’ve build 6 like this. No trees big enough at most places I’ve hunted.

I hardly ever hang them. Just do it on the ground. Skin and butcher one side at a time.

🦫
I have a cheap ATV winch mounted to the wall of my garage, pulley chained on a rafter and pull it up.

So no one complains about blood, I use one of those cheap kiddie plastic pools and put it under it like a drain pan.
That’s a good idea.

Thnx

Jerry
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I have a cheap ATV winch mounted to the wall of my garage, pulley chained on a rafter and pull it up.

So no one complains about blood, I use one of those cheap kiddie plastic pools and put it under it like a drain pan.
I have pretty much the same set up, except I have my pulley bolted down in the rafters.
I use a small wheel barrow underneath for the blood. My hose/water are a ways off, so I just take the mess to the water.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have a singletree that was used with harness to pull a wagon or cart Usually one horse or mule. Actual word is Swingletree, but no one uses it now days. It has an iron hook on each end that the trace chains fasten to that fits nicely above a deer's hock and an iron ring in the center that I hook to a chain hoist that is hung from the garage trusses

Then do you hang two swingletrees off one dwoubletree 😁
My deck….usually quartered out.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] Wood shed
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Many times I've hung them from the front end loader on the tractor.

YEP, Sometimes I hang them in my shed from rafters

Move along kids.......daddy needs to use the swing set....
Tarp on the ground. Not worth hanging given we are limited to effectively 1 deer per year in ID. But I can see, if you are cleaning 3 or so at a time well worth it.
Yearling doe are always on my hit list. They make for easy lifting… 😃
A small limb saw and paracord are handy. If I have nuff daylight, only the meat gets hauled out.

Originally Posted by SCgman1

Move along kids.......daddy needs to use the swing set....

I have two swings when we have little kids in camp😎
Hunt close to home and bring them home guts still in. Skin back the hind legs a ways and hoist from the hind legs with a rope, gambrel, and a pulley using a yard tree limb. Pull the hide off first and then gut. Almost all our deer are shot between sunset and dark thirty in cold weather so I wait until daylight to part him out.
At deercamp we have a couple of chain hoists hanging in the barn. At home or in the woods somewhere else a tree limb and block and tackle works.
https://www.amazon.com/HME-Products-Truck-Hitch-Hoist/dp/B06ZZS6M9L
I am one of those amused at the assumption in the thread title. grin

I am also one of those who never hung a deer to gut and rarely hung one to skin till I was over 60. Mid-70's now, hunt close to roads, call grandsons to come and get my gutted deer and we hang from a limb in the yard to skin.
In sagebrush country, you seldom have a tree handy. I got pretty good at skinning on the ground.
Beefed up ceiling joist in garage. Used the boat winch since it was handy.
great pictures ! many options on skinning deer ,gets me excited to think grandson at age 10 can keep killin deer for us to skin ! thanks for posting pictures ,Pete53
© 24hourcampfire