Home
Posted By: luv2safari Looking For a Deer Hunt - 08/02/22
The drought and the draw has me closed out here where I live; didn't draw a big game tag of any kind.

So, I'm looking for advice as to where and how to find a deer hunt this fall. It might be my last deer hunt, but it doesn't have to be "the hunt of a lifetime", just a successful and somewhat relaxing hunt. I can drive a couple of days from western NV in my older GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 with a medium sized C/O camper and can tow a UTV/ATV if that helps.

The Non-Res hunt needs to be relatively affordable and somewhere where non-res tags can be bought over the counter, and I will need access to land to hunt. I can afford a reasonable trespass fee. Some bird hunting would be a big bonus for me, but that's not necessary.

I welcome any suggestions.
Posted By: SKane Re: Looking For a Deer Hunt - 08/02/22
I'd likely look at Nebraska for an OTC tag - some areas are draw-only but there's a fair amount of OTC tags.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Looking For a Deer Hunt - 08/02/22
Originally Posted by SKane
I'd likely look at Nebraska for an OTC tag - some areas are draw-only but there's a fair amount of OTC tags.

Heading to their DOW site right now. THANKS
Posted By: okie john Re: Looking For a Deer Hunt - 08/03/22
It might be farther than you want to drive, but the Deep South states have tons of deer, generous bag limits, and long seasons.

Okie John
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Looking For a Deer Hunt - 08/03/22
Originally Posted by okie john
It might be farther than you want to drive, but the Deep South states have tons of deer, generous bag limits, and long seasons.

Okie John

Yep, I was going to suggest it but wasn't sure exactly how far he wanted to put on the "couple of days from western NV". Alabama has an ~3 month rifle season (mid-Nov to early Feb), unlimited does, 3 bucks, and lots of public land and WMA's with scheduled hunts. I think a 1 year all-game license is around $350 for a non-resident. That would include turkey as well. I think there's 3 and 10 day license for out of state hunters as well.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Looking For a Deer Hunt - 08/03/22
That is a real long trip anymore, sadly.

I am considering it, and I will be trying for a Region 7 MT doe tag on Monday, it appears.

I need to check some bird seasons, also.
Posted By: wildone Re: Looking For a Deer Hunt - 08/11/22
Missouri would get my attention.
Posted By: mikieb Re: Looking For a Deer Hunt - 08/14/22
Originally Posted by wildone
Yup. I am also in the Missouri camp.... I would start to research options in Missouri....
Posted By: skeen Re: Looking For a Deer Hunt - 08/14/22
Oklahoma.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Looking For a Deer Hunt - 08/14/22
Originally Posted by wildone
Nothing special around here.
Posted By: WL205 Re: Looking For a Deer Hunt - 08/14/22
Originally Posted by skeen
Oklahoma.
Nothing to see in Oklahoma, barren flat lands, no game, no water, mean people, and no fun.
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Looking For a Deer Hunt - 08/14/22
Originally Posted by luv2safari
The drought and the draw has me closed out here where I live; didn't draw a big game tag of any kind.

So, I'm looking for advice as to where and how to find a deer hunt this fall. It might be my last deer hunt, but it doesn't have to be "the hunt of a lifetime", just a successful and somewhat relaxing hunt. I can drive a couple of days from western NV in my older GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 with a medium sized C/O camper and can tow a UTV/ATV if that helps.

The Non-Res hunt needs to be relatively affordable and somewhere where non-res tags can be bought over the counter, and I will need access to land to hunt. I can afford a reasonable trespass fee. Some bird hunting would be a big bonus for me, but that's not necessary.

I welcome any suggestions.

It is a haul for you, but I've got 23 undeveloped acres in middle Georgia. Bring your camper, set up stay as along as you like, just respect the property, that's all I ask.
© 24hourcampfire