Home
Posted By: Adk_BackCountry New York Hunters - 11/08/22
Anyone hunt in upstate NY on here?
Posted By: Dusty246 Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
Cooperstown mid state. All the deer head to the farms where we can't hunt. See them all day long out in the fields. Time for an ambush.
Posted By: bbassi Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
Define upstate. I'm in Western NY between Rochester and Buffalo. Lots of people think "upstate" is the area between NYC and Albany.
Posted By: OrangeDiablo Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
Originally Posted by bbassi
Define upstate. I'm in Western NY between Rochester and Buffalo. Lots of people think "upstate" is the area between NYC and Albany.

People also think Buffalo/Rochester is like 20 min form NYC smile
Posted By: noKnees Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
I do,
I hunt in northern Fulton and hamilton county for North, mostly just a walk in the woods for my health and then a couple days out in Wyoming county for south to fill tags.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
Yep. I spend the entire Southern rifle season at my club/camp in Delaware county, in the Catskills, every year. I'll be leaving Florida next Wednesday, 11/16, for the trek north.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
I have places I hunt in Delaware, Chenango, Otsego, Broome, Tioga, Tompkins, Cortland and Hamilton Counties. Will be heading to Cortland County to crossbow hunt with my buddy in the morning..
Posted By: Theeck Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
I usually take a trip to Essex County every other year to hunt deer. The numbers are low but I really enjoy the challenge of it.
Posted By: Theeck Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22

Yeah, that area is probably what is called the Southern Tier. Not sure though. I hunt the Adirondacks.
Originally Posted by Theeck

Yeah, that area is probably what is called the Southern Tier. Not sure though. I hunt the Adirondacks.
Nope, that would be the Hudson valley and capitol district. Southern tier is West of there and goes from Delaware County Westward along the Northern Pa border.
Posted By: kendibs Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
I do Catskills each year. Sullivan county Rockland township.

-Ken
Posted By: JeffG Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
, yup. Do you have an opportunity to hunt somewhere in NY? or just taking a survey?
Posted By: Adk_BackCountry Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
I guess Lewis and Oneida plus Herkimer and Hamilton counties. Just wondering if there were more NY hunters on the Campfire?
I haven't seen much action at all yet, hoping the next week or two improves. Saw some half hearted scrapes in a few areas, but no luck.

Took a drive into Herkimer lands by Oldforge, got on a buck but wind was shifty, blew my cover and he was gone.

Anyone else in these areas?
Oh yeah, up by Lake Placid?
Good luck.
[quote=eaglemountainman]Yep. I spend the entire Southern rifle season at my club/camp in Delaware county, in the Catskills, every year. I'll be leaving Florida next Wednesday, 11/16, for the trek north.[/quote
]
Hope you bag one.
Originally Posted by JeffG
, yup. Do you have an opportunity to hunt somewhere in NY? or just taking a survey?
Yes, many locations in NY. How about yourself?
Originally Posted by noKnees
I do,
I hunt in northern Fulton and hamilton county for North, mostly just a walk in the woods for my health and then a couple days out in Wyoming county for south to fill tags.

Good hunting and good luck.
For certain, I've lost count with the number of deer in fields, private lands.
Posted By: JeffP Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
I thought everything south of Route 90 was southern tier and everything north was the northern tier.
We consider anything south of route twenty souther tier.

NYC is down state for me. Westchester, Putman, Delaware typically down state.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
[quote=eaglemountainman]Yep. I spend the entire Southern rifle season at my club/camp in Delaware county, in the Catskills, every year. I'll be leaving Florida next Wednesday, 11/16, for the trek north.[/quote
]
Hope you bag one.

Thanks.
Good luck to you, as well.
Originally Posted by JeffP
I thought everything south of Route 90 was southern tier and everything north was the northern tier.
I think you're confusing Northern zone and Southern zone with the Southern tier. The counties along the Northern Pa. border, Delaware, Broome, Tioga, Chemung and Steuben make up the Southern Tier, though Delaware is debatable because it's also part of the Catskill region. North of the Catskill region /Delaware County you get into the central Leatherstocking region. All of those are part of the Southern Zone but not part of the Southern Tier.

Delaware, Ulster, Greene and Sullivan Counties are Catskill region and definitely not considered "downstate".
Posted By: RickcNY Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
Yes , The warm weather slowed things down a little bit but that is about to change and there is plenty of activity
Posted By: WTM45 Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
Look at the addresses to where the majority of those tax bills are mailed and one would think those counties are part of NYC.
Originally Posted by RickcNY
Yes , The warm weather slowed things down a little bit but that is about to change and there is plenty of activity

I am looking forward to Thursday morning, like you said, the drop in Temps seems to get things rolling.
Posted By: rong Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
I'm in the Fingerlakes Region,
but it's upstate to me.
Movement has been a little slow with the warm weather,should get better from here on out
Posted By: jmdriver Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
I hunt in Piercefield/Childwold. Very few scrapes and not much on the cameras. Hopefully the weather changes for the season this coming weekend. Hunted all last weekend and didn’t wear my jacket or gloves. Can’t remember the last time that happened during rifle or muzzleloader season.
If I figure out how to post photos I can load some photos from last year.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: New York Hunters - 11/08/22
I've been hunting in Delaware County, near Walton since 1975.

Originally Posted by Blackheart

Delaware, Ulster, Greene and Sullivan Counties are Catskill region and definitely not considered "downstate".

I have to disagree with some of those counties, we consider everything below Roscoe to be "the city", especially Sullivan County, aka the Jewish Alps. grin

Good luck to all you guys, where ever you hunt!
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

[quote=Adk_BackCountry]We consider anything south of route twenty souther tier.

I have to disagree with some of those counties, we consider everything below Roscoe to be "the city", especially Sullivan County, aka the Jewish Alps. grin

Good luck to all you guys, where ever you hunt![/quote
]
LMAO
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkYMpI3ABbt/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

Good luck to all you guys, where ever you hunt!
Roscoe is in Sullivan County. I think Ulster County has more Jews. Ever try to find somebody in Fleischmans or Hunter that ain't a Jew ? About like trying to find somebody in Woodstock that ain't an old hippy stoner. Sullivan has lots of dirtbag foreigners. Just try to find somebody that speaks English in Liberty. Man what a slum.
Posted By: moosemike Re: New York Hunters - 11/09/22
Isn't Sullivan County where Larry Koller hunted?
Posted By: troutfisher13111 Re: New York Hunters - 11/09/22
Oswego county mostly for me.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: New York Hunters - 11/09/22
Originally Posted by moosemike
Yes, Eden Falls hunting and fishing club near Monticello.
Posted By: billtrev Re: New York Hunters - 11/09/22
Yup.
Headed to Indian Lake area this Friday
Will be hunting Siamese Ponds and Moose River Plains for a week.
Then heading to Tioga county for the southern zone opener on the 19th.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: New York Hunters - 11/09/22
Sherburne, Chenango County
Posted By: ejo Re: New York Hunters - 11/09/22
Washington County for me. Looking to get my son his second deer this year.
Posted By: JeffG Re: New York Hunters - 11/09/22
NY DEC hunting rules/map does a good job delineating Northern/Southern tier, plus the ever-changing local rules in WMA zones, for doe permits, and antler restrictions. Statewide changes in blaze-orange requirement, 1/2 hour extensions at both ends of the hunting hours, special extended season for youth, crossbow and late December (for college students home for the holidays). They also have harvest statistics and predictions (and how they determine the doe permits and antler restrictions), number of out-of-state hunting licenses issued,...LOTS of detailed hunting info for ALL the different critters.

I've spent most of my years in Washington, Saratoga, and Fulton counties. No question that farm country deer are THRIVING, while the big woods deer are still hard to find, The rut and food sources are both having much longer seasons recently than I've ever experienced, in 50 years of paying attention.
Smacked a 7 pointer with crossbow at 7:05 this morning in Cortlandville. Twenty yard shot broadside and he only went 15 yards and down.
Originally Posted by JeffG
NY DEC hunting rules/map does a good job delineating Northern/Southern tier, plus the ever-changing local rules in WMA zones, for doe permits, and antler restrictions. Statewide changes in blaze-orange requirement, 1/2 hour extensions at both ends of the hunting hours, special extended season for youth, crossbow and late December (for college students home for the holidays). They also have harvest statistics and predictions (and how they determine the doe permits and antler restrictions), number of out-of-state hunting licenses issued,...LOTS of detailed hunting info for ALL the different critters.

I've spent most of my years in Washington, Saratoga, and Fulton counties. No question that farm country deer are THRIVING, while the big woods deer are still hard to find, The rut and food sources are both having much longer seasons recently than I've ever experienced, in 50 years of paying attention.
DEC's map does a good job dileanating the Northern/Southern ZONE but doesn't reference a thing about the Southern TIER. How anybody can live in New York and not know what the Southern TIER is, is beyond me. The Southern TIER encompasses the counties that run along the Northern border of Pa. and those counties along with the Pa. counties that border them to the South are commonly referred to as the TWIN TIERS. Wikipedia has a pretty good and accurate description for those who can't figure the difference between the Sourhern ZONE and the Southern TIER. Sheesh. .
Posted By: cra1948 Re: New York Hunters - 11/09/22
I hunted Delaware, Otsego, Chenango and Broom Counties when I was living down that way for a while, but "home" is St. Lawrence County. I also lived 5 years in Oswego County, but didn't deer hunt there much, it was just to close to St. Lawrence County to bother. There are areas in Chenango, Delaware and especially St. Lawrence County that would challenge all the assumptions most people from elsewhere have about New York. I just got off the phone with my brother and told him I may be home this month some time to hunt, but I'm not leaning toward a trip right now.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: New York Hunters - 11/10/22
I hunt in Jefferson county with the wife's in-laws on the family farm.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: New York Hunters - 11/11/22
Northern Lewis County and a little over into Saint Lawrence Cty for me. Deer finally started moving in daytime middle of this week, two of my cousins shot bucks Tues morning, but now I'm stuck at home waiting for the furnace repair guy.
Posted By: Adk_BackCountry Re: New York Hunters - 11/11/22
Smacked a 7 pointer with crossbow at 7:05 this morning in Cortlandville. Twenty yard shot broadside and he only went 15 yards and down.

Congrats to you!
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Northern Lewis County and a little over into Saint Lawrence Cty for me. Deer finally started moving in daytime middle of this week, two of my cousins shot bucks Tues morning, but now I'm stuck at home waiting for the furnace repair guy.

A lot of open space in Lewis. Hope your heating issues are better.
Originally Posted by cra1948
I hunted Delaware, Otsego, Chenango and Broom Counties when I was living down that way for a while, but "home" is St. Lawrence County. I also lived 5 years in Oswego County, but didn't deer hunt there much, it was just to close to St. Lawrence County to bother. There are areas in Chenango, Delaware and especially St. Lawrence County that would challenge all the assumptions most people from elsewhere have about New York. I just got off the phone with my brother and told him I may be home this month some time to hunt, but I'm not leaning toward a trip right now.
Hope and wish you good hunting.
👍
Posted By: moosemike Re: New York Hunters - 11/12/22
Originally Posted by moosemike
Yes, Eden Falls hunting and fishing club near Monticello.
I thought so. Thanks
Posted By: FishinHank Re: New York Hunters - 11/12/22
I'll be hunting Seneca county for the gun opener.
Posted By: Adk_BackCountry Re: New York Hunters - 11/13/22
Glad to hear the Campfire has many New Yorkers.

I tracked a bruiser this morning and watched painfully as he galloped over the next ridge through a tangle of young beach trees. Although, I managed to put my scope on his chest only to squeeze the trigger on an empty chamber. A few explicit words crossed my mind at that moment. When they run the hills, they run the hills.
Posted By: kendibs Re: New York Hunters - 11/13/22
Keep at it and he may show again. Good luck.

I'll head up near Parksville area next week couple days before opener.

-Ken
Posted By: Robster Re: New York Hunters - 11/13/22
I deer hunt in Onondaga County.
I live in Oswego County. North Shore o Oneida Lake
I rabbit hunt with the beagles in Onondaga County and Hare Hunt near Lowville and scattered points between here and Inlet

Glad to see a bunch of NY'ers here
Posted By: rong Re: New York Hunters - 11/13/22
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I'll be hunting Seneca county for the gun opener.

Hank where in Seneca, I'll be in Wayne/Ontario area 8j
Ron
Posted By: DANNYL Re: New York Hunters - 11/13/22
St Lawrence 6C around me the bucks haven't been real active yet, doe's still have their fawns trailing them.
Posted By: Adk_BackCountry Re: New York Hunters - 11/15/22
Heading into Jackson Hill over in Boonville, Ava towns tomorrow morning. We have some snow accumulation there, going to be a cold one though.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: New York Hunters - 11/15/22
I hunt around my place in Saratoga County. Also have a deer camp on a friend's land in the Duanesburg, Esperance area. Usually do well there. That's where I'll be opening week. I used to hunt in Wells a lot when I was younger. Always had to stop at the Seabiscuit Inn and visit with old Joe while up there. Loved to hunt the 'Dacks!
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: New York Hunters - 11/15/22
Monroe County towns surrounding Rochester

Yesterday

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: New York Hunters - 11/15/22
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Yesterday

That's a fat neck.
Posted By: Adk_BackCountry Re: New York Hunters - 11/15/22

Yesterday

Congratulations! Beauty!
Posted By: RicG Re: New York Hunters - 11/17/22
I have hunted Steuben since the 60’s. I won’t be hunting at all this year due to some “issues”.
Posted By: skeen Re: New York Hunters - 11/17/22

Yesterday

Good deal, dvdegeorge!
Posted By: rong Re: New York Hunters - 11/18/22
Good luck to everybody that's hunting the Southern zone Saturday,be safe.
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: New York Hunters - 11/18/22
Nice one dvdegeorge!

In Allegany county NY, waiting for Saturday morning’s Southern zone opener. I think it’s my 29th consecutive NY Southern zone season opener. Good luck to everyone, be safe and have fun. Happy Hunting! 😎

Doc_Holidude
© 24hourcampfire