Home
Posted By: hanco First deer with open sights - 12/07/22
He was facing me, went in his neck, came out his right hind quarter, only shot I had. He was about 40 yards. The 32-40 Hornady 165 grain did the trick. I can see since I had cataract surgery.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: ChipM Re: First deer with open sights - 12/07/22
Very nice, congrats!!!
Great job
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: First deer with open sights - 12/07/22
Outstanding! Beautiful buck. I had the surgery earlier this year too, so am hoping to test out peep sights in a hunting situation.
Posted By: skeen Re: First deer with open sights - 12/07/22
Nice buck, Hanco!
Yeah man! Been a few decades since I popped a deer with irons.
Nice critter Hanco! Did you get him today? Man it’s like 80 degrees down here on south end of county.
Congrats. Seems normal enough to me.

You guys are in blanco county? I’ve hunted around Sandy quite a bit.
Great deer Hanco!
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Congrats. Seems normal enough to me.

You guys are in blanco county? I’ve hunted around Sandy quite a bit.

Hanco’s up in northern Burnet co. Our back 115 acres is in Burnet co. Residence is in Blanco co. Good country over there around Sandy.
Congrads on a Dandy Buck, and with a 99 in 32-40Too!
Congrats. Nice deer and rifle.
gorgeous deer old man wink
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: First deer with open sights - 12/07/22
outstanding !
Awesomeness
Very nice! That's pretty impressive penetration too.
Wow! That gun looks a hunerd years old!
Posted By: hanco Re: First deer with open sights - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Nice critter Hanco! Did you get him today? Man it’s like 80 degrees down here on south end of county.

Got him yesterday evening, had seen him five or six times, but not close for iron sights. That old thing was made in 1908. It has been reblued, stock refinished, half round, half octogon barrel. It is a ton of fun to shoot.
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
gorgeous deer old man wink

Grand kids call me old timer, so did the guys where I used to work.
Nice shooting hanco!

Congrats!

HS 58
Good deal Hanco!
Nice buck, job, and rifle. Congratulations.
Good job Hanco, way to put the new eyeballs to work.
Great buck and a proper rifle! 1899B, right?
Originally Posted by gregintenn

1899 C.

A-round barrel
B-Octagon
C- half round, octagon
Very nice congrats!
Posted By: jc189 Re: First deer with open sights - 12/08/22
Congrats, he's a good one. good shooting with open sights.
Congratulations. I don't think I've ever killed one with an open sighted rifle but, did kill one with a open sighted .357 Magnum.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: First deer with open sights - 12/08/22
Nice shot, and beauty of a rifle 👍

I'd love to pick up one last 1899 in 32-40 or 38-55... preferably 32-40.
Great job Hanco! Was the bullet cast or jacketed? I’ve had my 99 in .32-40 out a couple of time this year but no opportunities yet…….it’s been splitting time with an 1894 Winchester in .25-35.

Thanks for sharing!

PennDog
I see the old coot squad hasn't chimed in yet. I got my 1st deer and 1st elk both with a Win 94 in 32 Special. I got a number of deer with that rifle before I got my 1st scoped gun. I'm betting that most of the 70+ members here did something similar.
Great shot! My iron sight deer have all been muzzleloader kills.
Congrats on the buck!
Originally Posted by PennDog
Great job Hanco! Was the bullet cast or jacketed? I’ve had my 99 in .32-40 out a couple of time this year but no opportunities yet…….it’s been splitting time with an 1894 Winchester in .25-35.

Thanks for sharing!

PennDog

Hornady 165. 22 gr. H4895
Definitely a nice buck and classic rifle. Congrats!!!
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by PennDog

Thanks for sharing!

PennDog

Hornady 165. 22 gr. H4895

Thank you and congrats again!!

PennDog
Great deer, and yet some of the big boys can’t get it done without a scope. Half the fun of hunting is killing something with these old guns and iron sights…
Excellent! Nice buck, cool rifle.

I haven't used iron sights on a deer hunt in quite a while. Probably ought to do so again.

Regards, Guy
This is one of those "feel good" posts that puts a smile on your face.

Congratulations on a nice buck.
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: First deer with open sights - 12/08/22
Congrats on a fine buck !
Fine shooting iron too !
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Great deer, and yet some of the big boys can’t get it done without a scope. Half the fun of hunting is killing something with these old guns and iron sights…

I agree, got a nice H&R Garand I’m gonna use also.
BRAVO! Beauty Deer :o)

KB
Posted By: Riverc Re: First deer with open sights - 12/08/22
Nice buck Hanco!
Heck yeah! Bullet did its job! Nice one too! Congrats!
Nice. I've taken several the last few years with a peep sighted M336 38-55 using cast bullets. In some of my hunting spots it's about perfect for the job.
Posted By: Hook Re: First deer with open sights - 12/09/22
Think it might have over penetrated, Hanco?

Beautiful buck and rifle! It must feel really great to be able to take game with that old classic with iron sights. My goal this year is to take a deer with my M54 Winchester in 30 WCF using my powder coated cast bullets. I haven't had surgery so will need almost perfect conditions to be able to pull it off. Turned 74 yesterday and my eyes feel every day of those years, but I'm gonna try!
Good shooting David!
Posted By: szihn Re: First deer with open sights - 12/09/22
I do most of my hunting with rifles and handguns having only irons. I enjoy hunting with open or peep sights more then I do with scoped rifles. Why? I can't really say. I just do.

In the last 20 years or so, (maybe closer to 25 years) I have killed more then half my animals with just iron sighted weapons. Sure, there are low light conditions and longer ranges I can't shoot in, but that doesn't bother me a t all. I just get closer or come back the next day. But in the last 25 years I can't remember even one time when I had the feeling "I wish I'd have brought a scoped rifle". It may happen to me some day, but so far it has not.

Maybe it's just how you start? I started out when I was a very young boy using my Dad's Savage M99 in 300 savage with open sights. That was in the 60s,--- 1963 I think. in 1968 I started using a 270 with a Weaver 4X. So I have a history going way back and using both scopes and irons, but the fact that I started out killing deer and cayotes with iron sights probably ingrained into me the comfort of having only irons on some rifles and it never seemed lacking to me. to be without a scope.

So welcome to the fraternity Hanco. May you repeat that process many many times.
Happy hunting.
Eyes are getting old, in spite of cataract surgery. I have a slight scar on my dominant eye that messes things up. Glasses can't fix it. I can use a peep sight ok but buckeyes? Forget it. I have lasers on 2 pistols. I can see them much better than trying to wrinkle up my eyes for the open sights.
Congrats Hanco ! The last deer I killed with irons was in 2018. Started out with iron sights when I was young and Killed a shyt load of deer, small game and varmints with them. Couldn't figure why anybody'd need a scope to kill a great big critter like a deer. Eyes ain't so good anymore so the iron sighted rifles don't get much use these days.
Posted By: memtb Re: First deer with open sights - 12/09/22
Nice deer……Congratulations on both the kill and your newfound ability to see!

I’m surprised that you didn’t have open sight kills in your youth……when you could see! memtb
Posted By: hanco Re: First deer with open sights - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by memtb

I’m surprised that you didn’t have open sight kills in your youth……when you could see! memtb

I didn’t start hunting until I was about 23. My life growing up wasn’t so good. One of the old plumbers I worked with took me to his hunting lease in Ozona Texas. I was hooked, been going ever since.
Congrats on both: the newfound sight and open sights kill!

My first kill was with my H&R 12ga....not exactly the same/same though.
I use both but does feel better when using iron sights. I'm glad you got both sights' back.
Posted By: memtb Re: First deer with open sights - 12/09/22

I didn’t start hunting until I was about 23. My life growing up wasn’t so good. One of the old plumbers I worked with took me to his hunting lease in Ozona Texas. I was hooked, been going ever since.

Sorry that you missed hunting during the “prime of life” …..about 6 through your teens! Happy that you had someone introduce you to hunting. And, especially pleased that you still enjoy it. May you enjoy many more years doing that which you love! 👍 memtb
Posted By: hanco Re: First deer with open sights - 12/09/22

Sorry that you missed hunting during the “prime of life” …..about 6 through your teens! Happy that you had someone introduce you to hunting. And, especially pleased that you still enjoy it. May you enjoy many more years doing that which you love! 👍 memtb

Thank you for that!!
Posted By: ndh19 Re: First deer with open sights - 12/09/22
Hanco, I'm 71 and had cataract surgery in both eyes summer of 2022. I couldn't believe what I had been missing and gave the eye surgeon a hug thanking her. She thanked me saying nobody had ever responded to her that way before. I stressed to her she really changed my life as far as my shooting sports. Neal
Very cool, Hanco.

Nice buck and nice rifle.
Nice buck, and rifle
Great deer!
Posted By: Scotty Re: First deer with open sights - 12/10/22
Congratulations on the deer and using open sight . I started hunting with open sights on a 22. When I started hunting deer and other big game I have been using a high power with a scope. I never shot big game with open sights.
1 st rate hanco, good job them hogs better relocate their asses..mb
Posted By: trplem Re: First deer with open sights - 12/10/22
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I see the old coot squad hasn't chimed in yet. I got my 1st deer and 1st elk both with a Win 94 in 32 Special. I got a number of deer with that rifle before I got my 1st scoped gun. I'm betting that most of the 70+ members here did something similar.
Just had #53. My first deer was with a borrowed 98k and oem sights. Funny how my 70+ Dad borrows way better rifles from me for deer season.
Posted By: GreggH Re: First deer with open sights - 12/10/22
Hanco points for style! Did it without fast twist, turrets and with inadequate round. 😁 Very nice buck. Congratulations.

GreggH
Posted By: 44mc Re: First deer with open sights - 12/10/22
you are getting better with age hanco lol
Posted By: hanco Re: First deer with open sights - 12/10/22
Originally Posted by Scotty
Congratulations on the deer and using open sight . I started hunting with open sights on a 22. When I started hunting deer and other big game I have been using a high power with a scope. I never shot big game with open sights.

I saw that buck 5 different times before he was within 50 yards. I was getting 2” groups at 50 yards, felt comfortable if I could get one that close. I’ve taken many with a bow, exciting to have animals so close.

That is the first animal I’ve taken with a Hornady bullet also.

I appreciate all the kind words
Posted By: tzone Re: First deer with open sights - 12/10/22
Awesome buck
Posted By: hanco Re: First deer with open sights - 12/10/22
I’m hoping to get a nice Aoudad with it. Killed one earlier in the year with a 25-06
Posted By: Joe Re: First deer with open sights - 12/10/22
Very nice buck and also a very nice rifle!
Very well done Hanco.
Originally Posted by gregintenn

1899 C.

A-round barrel
B-Octagon
C- half round, octagon
I always get the B and C mixed up! Congratulations nonetheless.
Great Buck and rifle ,Sir! Congratulations!!
That’s just excellent!
Good job and great deer! I too broke out my Win. 94 .30-30 after cataract surgery. Put a Williams Fire Sight front site on that really helped. Lots of fun bringing those old rifles out after years in the back of the safe! Thanks for sharing.
© 24hourcampfire