Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Great deer, and yet some of the big boys can’t get it done without a scope. Half the fun of hunting is killing something with these old guns and iron sights…

I agree, got a nice H&R Garand I’m gonna use also.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BRAVO! Beauty Deer :o)

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/08/22.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nice buck Hanco!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Heck yeah! Bullet did its job! Nice one too! Congrats!

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice. I've taken several the last few years with a peep sighted M336 38-55 using cast bullets. In some of my hunting spots it's about perfect for the job.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Think it might have over penetrated, Hanco?

Beautiful buck and rifle! It must feel really great to be able to take game with that old classic with iron sights. My goal this year is to take a deer with my M54 Winchester in 30 WCF using my powder coated cast bullets. I haven't had surgery so will need almost perfect conditions to be able to pull it off. Turned 74 yesterday and my eyes feel every day of those years, but I'm gonna try!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good shooting David!

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I do most of my hunting with rifles and handguns having only irons. I enjoy hunting with open or peep sights more then I do with scoped rifles. Why? I can't really say. I just do.

In the last 20 years or so, (maybe closer to 25 years) I have killed more then half my animals with just iron sighted weapons. Sure, there are low light conditions and longer ranges I can't shoot in, but that doesn't bother me a t all. I just get closer or come back the next day. But in the last 25 years I can't remember even one time when I had the feeling "I wish I'd have brought a scoped rifle". It may happen to me some day, but so far it has not.

Maybe it's just how you start? I started out when I was a very young boy using my Dad's Savage M99 in 300 savage with open sights. That was in the 60s,--- 1963 I think. in 1968 I started using a 270 with a Weaver 4X. So I have a history going way back and using both scopes and irons, but the fact that I started out killing deer and cayotes with iron sights probably ingrained into me the comfort of having only irons on some rifles and it never seemed lacking to me. to be without a scope.

So welcome to the fraternity Hanco. May you repeat that process many many times.
Happy hunting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Eyes are getting old, in spite of cataract surgery. I have a slight scar on my dominant eye that messes things up. Glasses can't fix it. I can use a peep sight ok but buckeyes? Forget it. I have lasers on 2 pistols. I can see them much better than trying to wrinkle up my eyes for the open sights.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats Hanco ! The last deer I killed with irons was in 2018. Started out with iron sights when I was young and Killed a shyt load of deer, small game and varmints with them. Couldn't figure why anybody'd need a scope to kill a great big critter like a deer. Eyes ain't so good anymore so the iron sighted rifles don't get much use these days.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nice deer……Congratulations on both the kill and your newfound ability to see!

I’m surprised that you didn’t have open sight kills in your youth……when you could see! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by memtb

I’m surprised that you didn’t have open sight kills in your youth……when you could see! memtb

I didn’t start hunting until I was about 23. My life growing up wasn’t so good. One of the old plumbers I worked with took me to his hunting lease in Ozona Texas. I was hooked, been going ever since.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Congrats on both: the newfound sight and open sights kill!

My first kill was with my H&R 12ga....not exactly the same/same though.

FJB & FJT
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use both but does feel better when using iron sights. I'm glad you got both sights' back.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by hanco

I didn’t start hunting until I was about 23. My life growing up wasn’t so good. One of the old plumbers I worked with took me to his hunting lease in Ozona Texas. I was hooked, been going ever since.

Sorry that you missed hunting during the “prime of life” …..about 6 through your teens! Happy that you had someone introduce you to hunting. And, especially pleased that you still enjoy it. May you enjoy many more years doing that which you love! 👍 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by hanco

Sorry that you missed hunting during the “prime of life” …..about 6 through your teens! Happy that you had someone introduce you to hunting. And, especially pleased that you still enjoy it. May you enjoy many more years doing that which you love! 👍 memtb

Thank you for that!!

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Hanco, I'm 71 and had cataract surgery in both eyes summer of 2022. I couldn't believe what I had been missing and gave the eye surgeon a hug thanking her. She thanked me saying nobody had ever responded to her that way before. I stressed to her she really changed my life as far as my shooting sports. Neal

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool, Hanco.

Nice buck and nice rifle.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice buck, and rifle

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Great deer!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (450yukon, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 40 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,694
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.