Home
Posted By: Dan360 Counting Points - 01/01/09
I wonder why the method of counting points on a deer is different from east to west? A deer that I call a 4x4 with brow tines is called a 10 point in some places. When I watch the hunting shows on TV and they say they shot a 12 point, I'm usually thinking 12 points per side, not 12 points total. Then I see a 5x5 with brow tines and I'm thinking, "that's a nice deer, but not no 12 point". Any insight?
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Counting Points - 01/01/09
Dan how many toes you got? Four on each foot and two little ones? Or do you just say you got ten toes? grin

If it sticks out an inch on the antlers how come you don't just count them all and say it had X points? grin grin

BCR
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Counting Points - 01/01/09
Here in Arizona, we count points. So a "3 point" is a derr with 3 scoreable points, and probably eye guards but they do not count in the 3 points. Our coues often are 3x4's or 2x3's WITHOUT eyeguards.

This is my last buck, 2x4 plus eyeguards.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Counting Points - 01/01/09
" Any insight?"

Your way is wrong, our way is right.

Unless you want to call my grandpa a liar. smile
Posted By: ringworm Re: Counting Points - 01/01/09
my count says thats a 2x3 with a split and a little kicker.
i only count G's as points the rest are kickers.
Posted By: blammer Re: Counting Points - 01/01/09
This here is a NC 11 point.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Counting Points - 01/01/09
B&C settled the argument, with total number of inches net.
Posted By: Dan360 Re: Counting Points - 01/02/09
You guys crack me up. I do have to say that I have 10 toes. But, most people come with 10 toes. Its not a varying thing.

LOL on the NC 11 point!
Posted By: aalf Re: Counting Points - 01/02/09
And then, around here, everyone measures inside spread, but go west and you measure every sticker, cheater, or bump to get maximum outside spread. grin

Al
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: Counting Points - 01/02/09
because the eastern folk are tryin to compensate for something grin.

By the way the way that you are counting them (4x4 with eye guards, etc etc) IS the correct way
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Counting Points - 01/02/09
Originally Posted by mud_bogger

By the way the way that you are counting them (4x4 with eye guards, etc etc) IS the correct way

Wrong!!
Posted By: tomk Re: Counting Points - 01/02/09
That isn't it--guys in the mid-west and east know what comes after ten....
Originally Posted by tomk
That isn't it--guys in the mid-west and east know what comes after ten....

Probly due to the fact that the average 1st grader over here, only goes through 1st grade once before moving up a grade. I think they teach the counting part on the second year of it smirk
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Counting Points - 01/02/09
So what do you call this one out west

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...Board/43/page/2/fpart/all/gonew/1#UNREAD
a bruiser
Posted By: sportsfan7292 Re: Counting Points - 01/02/09
holy moly
Posted By: Dan360 Re: Counting Points - 01/02/09
Those are those bucks that grow up near the nuclear waste disposal site. Not B&C eligible. smile
Posted By: Portsider284 Re: Counting Points - 01/03/09
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe

A hair brush.

Non typicals like that pretty much defy any conventional discription.

Here is what I call a large framed 5x with a double stack droptime and some junk.

[Linked Image]

Or a 147-6/8" typical 5x5
[Linked Image]

I could call my Daughters first buck a 6x4 or a 10 pt. 6x4 discribes it a bit more aptly I think, but 2 of the tines on the main beam are not much bigger than 1" so is it a 4x4 with a 2 junk tines??
[Linked Image]

Or how bout this deer.
A collosal 200"+ mulie that would give a B&C scorer a head ache for a month!!
[Linked Image]

Posted By: wallaby Re: Counting Points - 01/04/09
Originally Posted by mud_bogger

Wrong!!

No, Mudbogger is correct. The counting of both sides is done back east to make up for the fact that they're hunting white tail deer. The quality of white tails is based on the number of points it has.

With blacktail there is no need to try to make them sound more impressive with talk about cheaters and stickers and counting every tine. So we just keep it simple.
Posted By: wallaby Re: Counting Points - 01/04/09
So what do you call this one out west

Another whitetail.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...Board/43/page/2/fpart/all/gonew/1#UNREAD
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Counting Points - 01/04/09
At what point does a 4x4 with eye guards become a 5x5?
Posted By: GuyM Re: Counting Points - 01/04/09
When it grows up and becomes a 5x5 with eyeguards.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Counting Points - 01/04/09
Western count sounds like it was invented by a lawyer. grin You can count some but not all of the points. miles
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Counting Points - 01/04/09
When in Rome.....
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Counting Points - 01/04/09
Good point, wonder what how they each got started.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Counting Points - 01/04/09
BC might think they settled it, but it would be with gross, not net.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Counting Points - 01/05/09
At what point does a 4x4 with eye guards become a 5x5?

When it's entered on the BC score sheet!

I gave up a long time ago and just let the owner of the antlers tell me what it is. 4x4 with eye guards or 10 point...who cares?

I personally like the eastern count method, as it describes the total number of points. Here in the west we would just say it's a four point - whether it had eye guards or not - or even two antlers!!
However I think the "best" method is to simply state the number on each side (5x5)(4x5)etc.. as that tells people the structure of the rack.

Our blacktails and mulies often don't have eye guards and that throws another wrench in the works..

I got a laugh out of the NC hand gunned whitetail 11 point! Hard to argue with that smile
Posted By: 2Seventy Re: Counting Points - 01/06/09
Here in Idaho where I've lived all my life we use a traditional western count where an eastern 10 pt.(4 pt. each side with eye guards) is counted as a western 4 pt.. In reading Jack O'Connor's books I see where that was the way he identified deer also and he came from the south west US and lived here in Idaho for a number of years before his death.

I've asked people this on other forums and some become very defensive about it. It's just a form of identification and has nothing to do with trophy size; just gets everyone on the same page so they know what the other person is describing to them.

2Seventy
Posted By: crittergetter Re: Counting Points - 01/06/09
I'm not saying we're right or wrong,if any point is over an inch long we count it.Brow tines are added to the total points.What you call a 5x5 we call it a 10 point,any point off of a point G2 G3 G4 we call kickers.
Posted By: yoop Re: Counting Points - 01/07/09
Now I have seen eastern racks with character or junk, depending on your point of view, count points if a ring would hang on them.

Then there is the term 'Main Frame'. I first heard that and immediately thought computers. But even in computer talk I have no idea what a main frame is.

It is a good thing those cactus bucks don't show up here. Poor fellow would never get the deer dressed and to the buck pole just trying to count them all.

I figure most any buck from a NC 11 on up will, at the minimum, realize he has been near a firearm toting biped if I see him.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Counting Points - 01/07/09
"Main Frame" is the "typical" antler configuration.

Someone may say his main frame score is xxx BC pts, for instance. He means the main beam, eye guards and the 3 pts coming off the main beam (tip of main beam is counted as a pt)Also the circumfrence and inside spread. No non typical pts are included.

A buck that has non typical points will be measured and refered to as (for instance) a 180" typical main frame. The added non typical pts will then be added to that for the non typical score.

Clear as mud, I'm sure....
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Counting Points - 01/07/09
Originally Posted by crittergetter
I'm not saying we're right or wrong,if any point is over an inch long we count it.Brow tines are added to the total points.What you call a 5x5 we call it a 10 point,any point off of a point G2 G3 G4 we call kickers.

Yup. Far as I'm concerned, anyway ya wanna do it is fine by me... hey it's your deer!
It only gets technical if you wanna have it officially scored for some reason. Then the recorder has to go by set rules, such as to qualify as a point it has to be at least one inch long...yadda yadda... there's enough rules to drown a horse.

If it's my deer and it makes me happy, I count it!
© 24hourcampfire