Home
The time has come to enter this years Dinkothon sponsored by Ingwe.

If you know where a dink is hiding, throw your name in the hat.

At the end of the season the winner will be immortalized here on the 24Hr.Campfire and will recieve the coveted title of

2010 Grand Poohbah Of Dinks

JM
I'm in. I have the tasty little morsel below staked out.

[Linked Image]
Winning that contest would cost me money. My club has fines for dinkery. laugh
Just drop out of that club and hunt public land.

Good Lord man! This is a National Award we are talking about!

Hopefully, it will be judged by a famous outdoor writer... whistle
I'm sure I can find a little button head somewhere. The winner of this coveted award won't be required to wear a thong and get a mullet with they?
[quote=JohnMoses]I'm in. I have the tasty little morsel below staked out.

Heck, I'd spend big bucks (pun intended) to have that mounted!
Mule Deer has agreed to judge the competition.

This could go worldwide.
I guess this would qualify? Too bad it's from a few years ago!

[Linked Image]
I'm in but do you guys really think you stand a chance against skills like this. Theses three were just last year.

Yeah its a 300 wby them dinks can be mean.
[Linked Image]
Toggle switch head.
[Linked Image]
This kind of skill takes years of practice.
[Linked Image]
That middle one would be tough to beat.

The lucky winner may be the topic of a feature article done by JB.

The Art Of Dinking
You guys got nutin' on my dinkage abilities. I've been accused of passing up several Boone and Crockett bucks in order to shoot a dink. Of course these stories were in direct proportion to the amount of rocket fuel consumed the previous night. All I can remember was that I was forever associated with the Legend of the Green Toothed Hag, otherwise known as the barmaid. I'm sure she had at least 3 teeth, but as for the green part, well that's another story for another time. Just give me the title now-cuz if there's one button buck left in the state of Minnesota, you can bet I'll be the one to shoot it. "Jeez, it sure looked bigger than that before I shot it-the worst case of shrinkage I've ever seen!"
I've perfected the art of ground shrinkage... and I purposely hunt for a calf on antlerless elk hunts... spots are good... milk on the lips the pinnacle...

Beware the dude that owns just half a gun, he shoots half sized dinks... just say'n

Kent
I'd win, but I don't have a macro lens to show the rack.
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
I'm in....
Toggle switch head.
[Linked Image]

You phuggers have your work cut out for you.....

All except Ruger M77270......that boy is a Rising Star! laugh

Ingwe
He is defintely gonna challenge you for the title this year.

I's have to say M77270 is the no. 1 contender.
Dudes...be aware..I have a "Honey Hole"....killed three bucks in there...this one was the biggest...

[Linked Image]

Poor Bastids......

Even got my new " Dink Gun" ready...a .223AI...but I'll resort to the TC Icon .243 again, if I have to...to beat you bastids...

laugh

Ingwe
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

[Linked Image]

That thing is a giant, compared to what we have in Michigan now.
I'm in. I'll kill even more dinks this year thanks to professional training from Ingwe
[Linked Image]
Uh-oh...a couple contenders...and pretenders to the throne.... eek

Ingwe
Anyone that actually has a picture of their dink loses...wasn't embarrassing enough.

Kent
Anybody too embarassed to enter a photo of their dink can avoid doing so by having their "trophy" measured by a B&C, P&Y or SCI measurer, and submitting the score sheet.

Dunno if that will really help the embarassment, though.

Good hunting,
Mule Deer (Da Judge)
If the official B&C score is less than one's boot size, it's officially a dink. grin
Hunting in a 'low fence' enclave is perfectly acceptable... if they are to small to get out... they are a dink...

Kent
And no photoshopping/expanding the milk stain on their lips, for the sympathy vote.

Is there extra credit for DRT with an air rifle... just ask'n

Kent
Mine is so small he can crawl thru hog wire...standing up.
If you are that embarrassed, just put a bag over your head for the pic.
[Linked Image]
I was thinking more of a 'backside' picture instead of my face...

The ultimate shame...

Kent
Hell, I will even try to get in on this years contest.

The dink I shot last year wasn't even known to me that it was a buck. I thought I was shooting a decent sized doe. It wasn't until I got him back and strung him up on the pole that I realized the plumbing wasn't right. You could barely feel two nubs under the hide on his skull.

Pics weren't taken blush
Even the picture's a dink, continued cropping so it's visible... the ears aren't though, maybe he'll grow into'm.

[Linked Image]
Ingwe will win. He showed me this in his super secret spot.
[Linked Image]
Hold on Now..

Are spots allowed? The judge needs to make a ruling here.

wink

JM
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I'm in. I'll kill even more dinks this year thanks to professional training from Ingwe
[Linked Image]

My uncle killed that one's twin last year. Cost him $200, and the rest of his season on the estate he hunts. Tasty little fugger, though.
Originally Posted by krp
And no photoshopping/expanding the milk stain on their lips, for the sympathy vote.

Is there extra credit for DRT with an air rifle... just ask'n

Kent

If there is, then 1deuce will win. EASILY.
you guys are freaking lightweights.

this will be my entry for contest purposes. i may rethink that before opening day, as it might be considered unfair to the other contestants. maybe there should be a handicap system instituted?

will there be points deducted if i kill it with a bow?

that's right, a unicorn. read 'm and weep...
[Linked Image]
sorry but i will be unable to enter in this years contest.

damn 4 point rule.
dink and 1/2 [Linked Image]
Breaking off horns is NOT allowed!

Some guys will do anything for the title......
Remember, it's not about winning, it's about being a contender.
Notice spots... Taken this year, so it should qualify. First bow kill, and a dink at that!

[Linked Image]
Oh man. You guys are in capital-t Trouble! grin

I am a dink whacker of some repute.
Seems to be a lot of dink whacking in this thread.
Originally Posted by ReaperCrew
Notice spots... Taken this year, so it should qualify. First bow kill, and a dink at that!

[Linked Image]

That is one huge bow!!

Hey... waitaminute....
Alright lets set some rules.

1. Broken horns don't count.
2. Button heads don't count (to easy) the antlers must measure at least 1".
3. Pictures of you and the deer are required for entry.

How does that sound.
Originally Posted by ReaperCrew

[Linked Image]

Wow you can put that thing in the crockpot whole.
Breaking off horns is NOT allowed!

Some guys will do anything for the title......
no broken horns that's how they grew
You's guys are so lucky I finally drew a Dec muley rut tag this year, instead of my normal Coues tag... a Coues has no rival for dinkdom...

Kent
I don't like your dink rules.
The Judge (please note the capital J) hereby accepts:

1) Spots count. I dunno how much, will have to see 'em. (there's an old tradition in Europe that the general conformation of the "trophy" counts for a subjective something--and shooting dinks is definitely a tradition over there).

2) You must be able to "hang a ring" on one antler. This was the old standard, before B&C got into our heads and muddled things up with their 1" stuff.

3) Size matters--not only of antlers, but of the overall deer. I know this is a foreign concept to "score" hunters, but it's also an old tradition. Only recently has a 160 B&C Texas buck field-dressing 97 pounds been considered BIGGER than a 150 B&C Maine buck field-dressing 297 pounds.

4) A photo of hunter with deer must be submitted--and if the weight requirement is a consideration, then the height and weight of the hunter must also be provided.

And NO photos of the hunter well in front of the dink deer, especially taken with a wide-angle lens. We have all seen the effect of standing well behind the deer in hunting magazine shots, which used to be called the PHP ("Petersen's Hunting pose"), in order to exaggerate the size of the antlers. The hunter must be pretty much beside the deer, or be subject to a Lee24 BS allowance.

The Judge will hear amendment suggestions, and probably accept them if they are accompanied by a fifth of good whisky, of any nationality.
Combo weight for hunter and game?

I think I could still beat some of these guys out with a spike on my raghorn elk tag...

Kent
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Anybody too embarassed to enter a photo of their dink can avoid doing so by having their "trophy" measured by a B&C, P&Y or SCI measurer, and submitting the score sheet.

Good hunting,
Mule Deer (Da Judge)

I accept this, and all your rules set forth for the Dinkothon.....

Indeed, as you are well aware, I green scored mine last year...he grossed 13....and netted 11 grin

Im going for single digit net this year.... laugh

Ingwe
I accept MuleDeer's rules and his office as Dink-O-Thon Judge.
Uh-oh...my major contender.... eek

Ingwe
If only the contest was retroactive... sigh... I have a veritable deer kindergarten hanging out in my shop (aka, the "Wall of Dinks").

I shot a button buck in the head with a .358 last year that was the size of a German shepherd. The meat was like veal. I put both boned-out "shoulders" in the crockpot just a couple days ago. Really.

With my chitty luck, I'll nail a bruiser this year.
What do you get out of a yearling-ish blacktail.. 35lbs of meat?
The Judge will hear amendment suggestions, and probably accept them if they are accompanied by a fifth of good whisky, of any nationality.

May I suggest that only dinks shot with iron sights be allowed? No optics (scopes, bins or spotters) allowed in the quest for the holy *dinky* grail! smirk
Not 100% certain if this guy is trying to sprout some antler stubble or not, but if he is I may be a contender too!

[Linked Image]
Any consideration for those of us who hunt in a "minimum fork-spike" zone? Ya know...sort of a handy cap system?
MT DD FAN,

I think we might accomodate different categories, such as:

1) Any method of taking (including vehicles)
2) Unlimited rifle (any rifle, any sight)
3) Iron sights
4) Bow

I refuse to consider a special category for muzzleloaders, since many are so close to being centerfires these days--unless, of course, I am bribed.
I think the size and quantity of the spots should be measured. This is a definite indicator of true dinkology. I'm really liking my chances here. Question to the judges-if I accidentally shoot a small dog, or any pit bull, can they be measured, scored, and dinkisized?
MT DD FAN,

I like the generous term you offer. grin
MT DD FAN,

I think we might accomodate different categories, such as:

2) Unlimited rifle (any rifle, any sight)
3) Iron sights
4) Bow

I refuse to consider a special category for muzzleloaders, since many are so close to being centerfires these days--unless, of course, I am bribed.

Elk category? I have a raghorn and antless tag, either/both I'm going for the dinkiest... I can bribe with dink meat... just say'n.

Kent
dont shot no danged calfs now - at least a 2 yr ole so some of the sinew strands can actually get some meat on them - justa sayin geeze

az
I don't have pictures, but does (will) anyone else claim a deer that fits behind the rear seat of a Jeep CJ-7?

Oh yeah. My lil' dude was CJ-worthy. smile

Mr. Barsness, is there a career achievment award for sad sacks who can provide photographic evidence of lots of DAMN small horns? I'm just.... uh... asking for a friend.
Originally Posted by azcoues
dont shot no danged calfs now - at least a 2 yr ole so some of the sinew strands can actually get some meat on them - justa sayin geeze

az

Calves are good eats... and dinky...

Kent
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Oh yeah. My lil' dude was CJ-worthy. smile

Mr. Barsness, is there a career achievment award for sad sacks who can provide photographic evidence of lots of DAMN small horns? I'm just.... uh... asking for a friend.

but did you pick it up with one hand, while the other was giving your buddies the finger????
so, to classify for a dink are we looking at headgear or body weight?

last deer i got had a decent rack compared to some of the ones pictured, but it was only 58 pounds dressed out.

[Linked Image]
Hmmm, there's some serious dinker's here.

Kent
I can seriously win this... The season doesn't even start here til the first weekend in November...
And NO photos of the hunter well in front of the dink deer, especially taken with a wide-angle lens. We have all seen the effect of standing well behind the deer in hunting magazine shots, which used to be called the PHP ("Petersen's Hunting pose"), in order to exaggerate the size of the antlers. The hunter must be pretty much beside the deer, or be subject to a Lee24 BS allowance.

Ah, you mean no Reverse Craig Boddington photos allowed! I think he is the acknowledged master of the "hunter 20 yards behind the dead critter" picture... wink

[Linked Image]

John
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
The time has come to enter this years Dinkothon sponsored by Ingwe.

If you know where a dink is hiding, throw your name in the hat.

At the end of the season the winner will be immortalized here on the 24Hr.Campfire and will recieve the coveted title of

2010 Grand Poohbah Of Dinks

JM

I'd love to participate, but I enrolled in Sensitivity Training this morning... grin
Oh, come on Seafire...

A reduced load with Blue Dot in the .223..

And a Mini-deer...

Match made in heaven! grin

Ingwe
In answer to some posts:

I think we should limit the contest to deer-only, as otherwise we will be dinking around with a whole menagerie of tiny animals, including bear cubs.

Ironeagle, please look at the rules a few posts before your question. They plainly state that weight will be a consideration, as long as your own height and weight are revealed and you're posed correctly next to your dink. The photo you posted is perfect for that purpose.

What do people think about allowing sub-categories for deer taken where there's a minimum legal tine-count?

Oh well, leaves me and my trash talk out this year, no dink deer tag. Maybe next year.

I'm pulling for my buddy Ingwe... kinda like the Arnold Palmer of dinkdom... so much history and tradition.

Kent

Originally Posted by krp

I'm pulling for my buddy Ingwe... kinda like the Arnold Palmer of dinkdom... so much history and tradition.

Kent

Kent, that kind of show of support leaves me all chokey..( sniff, sniff...)

Thanks dude...really...... grin

As for a sub-category for those in antler restriction areas...I say do the best with what you have to work with.....if it is a four point restriction...then just state that when you post your pic...

Oh.....and Scenarshooter can completely forget about entering..... wink

Ingwe
There has to be a sub-categorie for those us with those damn point restrictions. I plan on winning the 4 points on one side division... grin

Dink
Originally Posted by DINK
There has to be a sub-categorie for those us with those damn point restrictions. I plan on winning the 4 points on one side division... grin

Dink

never thats my sub class. i could be shooting at a 160 class deer and miss it and hit the dink 20 yards away from it. thats my luck
In answer to some posts:
What do people think about allowing sub-categories for deer taken where there's a minimum legal tine-count?

Dink

I've pondered this since this thread started. Coming up with an equitable solution could get complicated - multiple categories to be judged for the entry that is closest to the respective minimum legal buck.

Also, I want to confirm that no one gets favorable consideration just because they have a screen name particularly suited to this contest! What safeguards are in place to assure the independence of the judging authority??
No safeguards at all. The entire contest is subject to whims and corruption.
No safeguards at all. The entire contest is subject to whims and corruption.

In that case let's go back to your four types of kills; Does number one have to be killed by my vehicle, or can I use someone else's vehicle (I'm trying to avoid the use of the word roadkill here)?
You can even steal the vehicle. Roadkill 'em like you stole 'em!
Are style points to be granted, or deducted, for "way overpenetrating"?
Important question.

Can a bigger deer be turned into a dink if a very large caliber super high velocity framenting bullet is used and in particular with a close range rear shoulder shot?

That'd cut down on salvagable meat fer sure.

Does that a dink make?
Jeff,

Sorry, no extra points for way over-penetrating deer you can load in the pickup with one hand.
Alot of you people are over-thinking this whole thing....

Then again, I am a "natural".... grin

BTW: glad to hear the judge is open to corruption...if word gets out, JB could be our next president. wink

And I don't mean of the 'fire...

grin
Ingwe
To who and where do I send my entrance fee?

Where will the end of the season/awards banquet be held this year?

Will my spouse be invited?

Will any photographers from SCI be there?

Sorry for all the questions.
Just send your entrance fee...$500 to me...

Thats spelled I-N-G-W-E....

Ill answer the rest of your questions later...

Right now all you need to know is that the Judge and I are out of Buffalo Trace....... whistle

Ingwe
[Linked Image]

Can't enter it since I shot it last year but here's a head-only shot of my antlered WT last year. I guess not a contender for dink since SHE was a full-grown doe! I don't think she ever would have lost that velvet.
Dang dude...with that kind of luck you should go ahead and enter...

Send your $500 to me...... whistle

Ingwe
I have a shell vest with a game bag that should do nicely to haul this years monster out. I also have Mucho Herradura for Da Judge wink
Send me the bottle and you win! Unless, of course, somebody else sends a bigger bottle.
I will wait until all bottles are in so I can send a big enough bottle laugh
Wouldn't that be cheating?
All's fair in love and dink contest, besides you are the judge grin
If I could have gotten my truck stopped on highway earlier today there was a contender on the shoulder of the roadway....Damn it.

Dink
If I could have gotten my truck stopped on highway earlier today there was a contender on the shoulder of the roadway....Damn it.

Dink

i had to put one down last year. the OSP trooper couldnt pull the trigger on a fawn some guy hit and left to die in the road. i was dragging it off the road when he stopped and asked me if i could shoot it. it couldnt have weighed more than 30 pounds.

sad day.
I've got a little something for the judge...........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nothing like a 30 year old piece of FINE writing by the one and only JB. He must have been 15 when he wrote this piece!

The open bottle stays with me, the keg-O-bourbon goes out USPS.......(keep me in mind when judging)
My submission... delivery or pickup?

[Linked Image]

There's a dink in there somewhere I promise...

Kent

that makers sure sounds good right now. straight, no chaser.
John....dooooood.....

I've got this guy on retainer..... whistle

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Originally Posted by ingwe
John....dooooood.....

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

I'm out........
John....dooooood.....

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

If John goes for that guy's legs over the one's I offered... he officially caught the gay... just say'n.

On closer inspection he does have a tat on the knee... call Dan A...

Kent
John....dooooood.....

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

I'm out cry
This has gotten way out of hand, and even the Judge admits that cheating is ok.
Count me in! laugh
Wouldn't that be cheating?

Is that Ray Atkinson the well known Oregon photogapher?

Wonder if he has any "dink" images? LOL
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
This has gotten way out of hand, and even the Judge admits that cheating is ok.
Count me in! laugh

I knew we could count on you.... grin

Ingwe
I'm back in laugh
[Linked Image]
Bish...

Ingwe
See? One reason I accepted the prestigious Dink-Judge assignment is that I knew it would bring out the competitive best in Campfire members.
I love altruistic motives...

grin
Ingwe
I'm a professional Dinker,..you guys is in trouble.

Last Years Dink.

[Linked Image]

This years Dink. I think he'll grow 1"ers by season...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

[Linked Image]

I'd quit feeding it. That'll just make it bigger... whistle
My i suggest uniqueness and character of the dink's head gear be given consideration in scoring.

This is a true dink trophy.

[Linked Image]

I do have this one waiting in the wings should the above dink prove to large.

[Linked Image]
This fellow has a shoo-in if deer from across the pond are eligible to vie for the crown of dinkdom . . .

[Linked Image]
A few years ago, a fellow in our hunting party shot one that weighed 39 lbs dressed. I just need to find another one
This little fella' just made the hit list.

[Linked Image]
Laffin'

I can see now the confusion and disappointment in State Game agencies nationwide when they realize that the average age for harvested bucks dropped 3 years in 2010.

grin

DANG! I didn't know I had so much competition.... shocked

Ingwe
Thru exhaustive research and dna analysis, I have established that the dink in my 1st photo is the Hanson buck's daddy.

for real...
With Ingwe's and the Judge's permission, We need a scoring club name, the opposite of Boone & Crockett of course.

Like Tender & Vittles...

You could still call it the B&C...

Bambi n Crockpot...

dinks of yore, their legends live on.

[Linked Image]

notice the easy one hand lift...

[Linked Image]

This could come down to ounces at the weigh in.

Just a reminder of my submission and bribe... dink on...

Originally Posted by krp

[Linked Image]

Kent

Kent
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
With Ingwe's and the Judge's permission, We need a scoring club name, the opposite of Boone & Crockett of course.

Like Tender & Vittles...

The word Crock comes to mind...
Originally Posted by Sandlapper
This fellow has a shoo-in if deer from across the pond are eligible to vie for the crown of dinkdom . . .

[Linked Image]

No fair catching them and carrying them around alive until you find a smaller one!

I've never even seen a Jackalope that small!

If this goes International, I'm out.
This dink might get a honourable mention...
[Linked Image]
I thought I was in the running with this little fella from 2008, but got to get serious now and go littlier earlier this season.

[Linked Image]
I've got game cam pics from last week with three separate deer still in spots.

Will these count?
Originally Posted by krp
You could still call it the B&C...

Bambi n Crockpot

Kent

I LIKE it! laugh

Wish I'd thought of that......

Ingwe
That is a good name.

Don't feel bad Poobah, you'll think of something one day... cry
This one was so dinky, I didn't even know he was a buck. The one little stub is all he had. I dunno if he even knew he was a buck.....

Better yet, I managed to kill him with a Pac-nor barreled "blue" rifle in a wildcat chambering, spinning turrets, and shooting a moly-coated Accubomb that "failed".

Purchasing such equipment should have guaranteed me a page in the B&C book. I think that all the cool gear had given me such an unfair advantage that the good Lord decided to humble me......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I know I will regret this. I'm in.

I am secretly hoping that the complete disregard for large antlered critters will bring them to me in droves this year.

I will persevere and shoot for the spots and try no to damage the "milk teeth" in the process. Besides, it is getting to be chilli time and my freezer is full of fish, so a deer that fits into the crock pot whole will work for the time being.

I officially submit my entry form....Ingwe my "checks in the mail"

J.B. I humbly submit a plane ticket to visit my cousin in Dufftown, Scotland at the Glenfiddich factory with an envelope full of nonsequential multidinominational bills in local currency for consideration as an offering for "the Judge".
Don't make me post my dink.
Originally Posted by tzone

Post it...

Uhhh, you are talking about your deer... right?

Kent

If you don't post pics...it didnt happen.... grin

Ingwe
Dink-o-licious.

[Linked Image]
Oh yeah!!!

Dats a BnC buck!!!! laugh laugh

Ingwe
grin

It's not even as long as the rifle. Gooooood eatn' tho.
WOW!!! that could be a once in a lifetime achievement dink...

If you can repeat or better that Ingwe better start watching his backtrail... just say'n

Kent
Gentleman,

I humbly submit that it is easy to kill the small dinks. O.K. easier for some than others. Having said that, young bucks with limited nutrition can't get any better than that.

How about we try something really hard for a side competition. Smallest antlers on the largest bodied buck? What could be harder than to find a 200+ pound buck with less than 10 inches of antler? That way we could compare our cull bucks and leave the unproven bucks be?

I just hate to take what could be a good buck so young. With limited buck tags it is hard to burn one.

Just a thought.
Originally Posted by krp

[Linked Image]

Kent

I think JM needs a co-judge to "help" with certain aspects of the judging. I'd move to MT for that job. Yowsa!
I'm in & I'd also like to suggest, to JB, that all rifles must be adorned in blue tape at the muzzle, dink must be shot while hunter is wearing blue jeans & denim jacket, with contrasting hunter orange vest & ball/knit cap.

Mine'll have to have spots to compete, everybody knows Canadian deer are bigger !

Paul.
I might award style points for blue tape, Elmer Fudd hats, biggest difference between weight and antlers, whether or not shooting out a window is involved, etc.

As noted in an earlier post, some of the criteria will be subjective.
Thanks for the clarification JB.

Nice to "establish" the pay off criteria with the judges beforehand !
[img]http://www.thestarphoenix.com/life/2671445.bin?size=620x400[/img]

I have secretly coded this pic, so only you can see my offer !

Paul.

Just had a PM from Mathman.

He says don't you dare add ice to it !!

Paul.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
I'm in & I'd also like to suggest, to JB, that all rifles must be adorned in blue tape at the muzzle, dink must be shot while hunter is wearing blue jeans & denim jacket, with contrasting hunter orange vest & ball/knit cap.

Mine'll have to have spots to compete, everybody knows Canadian deer are bigger !

Paul.

See, right there... rules... automatic disqualify...

Dink hunting is not for siss'ies...

It's all day trash... all day talk... all the time...

Bring it on...

I plan on winning this even though I won't kill a dink... how... well, no one's beaten my submitted bribe yet... here it is again.

Originally Posted by krp

[Linked Image]

Kent

And if that doesn't sway the vote I'm thinking...

Twins will...

Kent
Kent, you seem to have forgotten that John is a happily married man, supported by a wife that is far more famous & makes much more mulla than he does !

I'm betting your ante of "girl/girls" will have no bearing on JB. He seems like a sensible guy.

Hence, my own offer of a barrel of the worlds oldest Scotch Whiskey.

[Linked Image]

Paul.

As noted in an earlier post, some of the criteria will be subjective.

I'll be back...I've got to go find a dictionary.
"Each bottle will be beautifully presented in a tear-shaped hand-blown crystal decanter with an elegant silver stopper. The decanter nestles in a stylish silver base and is framed in a handmade Brazilian Rosewood box, created using wood from Forest Stewardship Council (FS C) Certified sources.

Mortlach 70 Years Old was matured in a Spanish oak, ex-bodega sherry hogshead cask, which yielded 54 full-size and 162 small decanters bottled at cask strength (46.1% ABV). The recommended retail price in the UK is �10,000 per 70cl decanter and �2,500 for the 20cl version."
wink whistle

Paul.

Back trail or blacktail?
Or perhaps a red plaid jacket with a matching hat with a tie down for ones ears?
Most of us are happily married.

Didn't think this thread was a real world serious endeavor.

If JB was sensible he'd never involved himself.

I should have been sensible myself.

rectified...

Kent

smile

Paul.
There's always one guy.
Tzone,

?

fyshbum
Is there anything in the rules that states..."if ones cat leaves a dink on the door mat it may or not be entered in the contest"?

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by fyshbum
Tzone,

?

fyshbum

Just giving you [bleep] for the "let em grow" stuff. Some times I do, but if I don't have venny, I shoot the dink if that's what I see. No harm meant.
Originally Posted by levergunfan
Is there anything in the rules that states...if ones cat leaves a dink on the door mat it may be or not entered in the contest?

[Linked Image]

I think it should be worth style points if your cat catches the dink for you smile
To tex n cal: You are right on about cats!
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
style points

You can get " style points"....?

Cool...then I'm back to being a shoo in....

grin
Ingwe
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
style points

You can get " style points"....?

Cool...then I'm back to being a shoo in....

grin

Ingwe

He said "style" as in "class"...not "bile", as in where you shoot them. Sorry.
that was mean...

You're just jealous.....

grin
Ingwe
I plan on entering a fetus.
I wonder if you could cook that like a soft shelled crab ?
A cigarette lighter and some aluminum foil works good.
smile
But, if you do that & eat "it", on stand, in the woods, how would you prove your dink status ?

Paul.
Just take a pic of it sitting in your hand before you eat it.
Oh, like this ?
[Linked Image]

does it have to be a deer?

I have this in the barn right now.

[Linked Image]
I was going to suggest that if I entered you guys could all go home, game over. But honestly - some of you guys have my best dink beat by a mile...
Great and Honorable Judge, If I use a 300 wby loaded with a TSX and shoot a 80# dink can I get a better score?
I s�pose �style points� are awarded for using a bird to catch a dink, same as a cat? . . .

[Linked Image]

http://www.aila-falcons.cz/EN/index1.html
Oh, like this ?
[Linked Image]

Bite sized morsel!
Originally Posted by RWE
does it have to be a deer?

I have this in the barn right now.

[Linked Image]

It sees you coming---look at the tail. grin
Great and Honorable Judge, If I use a 300 wby loaded with a TSX and shoot a 80# dink can I get a better score?

Probably---because there's only going to be about 20# left to weigh in with. shocked laugh
It's a good thing I put down the bottle of Bell's Brewery 25th Anniversary Ale before opening this thread. There would certainly be spewage on the monitor. Too funny!

Probably---because there's only going to be about 20# left to weigh in with. shocked laugh

It would work and might just BBQ it in the process!!
That handful of venison needs some Dink Dunking Sauce.
By Jov, I think you just came up with a great new produst name. I can hear the ad now.

"If you ARE NOT a "Bone Collector" this is the BBQ sauce for you!!!"

"New Dink Dunking Sauce, or DDS for the reading impaired, will make even YOUR buck taste like the "Big One" that always gets away."
RugerM77270,

After giving your question full and dutiful consideration, no.
The TSX would way-over-penetrate. Style points will be awarded for bullets that end up under the hide on the far side.

On the other hand, if you killed multiple dinks with one way-over-penetrating TSX then...?
Originally Posted by fyshbum

"New Dink Dunking Sauce, or DDS for the reading impaired, will make even YOUR buck taste like the "Big One" that always gets away."

grin

Great stuff here.
What about the eagle? How far do they penetrate?
Is this eligible for entry?

It really has very skinny antlers, and was killed in Montana

[Linked Image]
RugerM77270,

The TSX would way-over-penetrate.

On the other hand, if you killed multiple dinks with one way-over-penetrating TSX then...?

I have a new goal..... whistle

Ingwe
This guy probably has to much mass to impress you experts, but just so you know even for you winning is not going to be easy.

Shot him with my LR rifle: A Jarrett .280AI at all of 30+ yards with those old style NBTs, that always WTH on the shoulder. In and out.

[Linked Image]
RugerM77270,

The TSX would way-over-penetrate. Style points will be awarded for bullets that end up under the hide on the far side.

I think I can handle that.
Gees I am embarrassed that I have read this far I hope know one is looking over my shoulder you dink guys are in class all to your selves grin laugh
I was just happy to learn that...er...my friends weren't alone. I, on the other hand have never shot a dink... I always let them go to grow bigger.
Yeah, that's it. whistle grin
John Moses I'm in and I plan on winning the Damn thing! I'm not letting Ingwe continue to embarass us. Some of us have some pride. Please put my entry fee on my MASTER CARD br549. powdr
Does this one count? My wife got this 1-1/2 year old dink this morning an hour before legal shooting light with her Honda Accord doing 55 mph.

cry

[Linked Image]
Way too big.

I'm wondering if we get extra points for shooting a dink when we would have sworn it was a doe. confused
NeBassman,

That definitely counts in the "vehicle" category, and apparently is the first entry in the Ingwe Dink-O-Thon.
Thanks for the ballistic details, which may be part of the final judging.

So far we haven't discussed the cut-off date for this year's IDIOT (I-ngwe DI-nk O T-hon). As THE JUDGE, I declare it will continue until the last legal season ends this winter, even for road-kill.
Almost had one this morning. Could not see a fork in the horn but I am 90 percent sure it was there. His rack did not clear his ears. My hunting partner was moving to much and he bailed before I could crank my scope up to see the fork.
Oh, like this ?
[Linked Image]

Double scoring points if you can lift your deer with one hand, quadruple points if it fits on a bun!
This isn't going to elevate into pictures of buns, is it?
Way too big.

I'm wondering if we get extra points for shooting a dink when we would have sworn it was a doe. confused

How about for shooting one you swore was a doe and it had a....dink. 2" polished pokers.
This isn't going to elevate into pictures of buns, is it?

Here's hopin'
Is there extra points if you have to shoot them in self defense? Killed this one as he charged my ground blind a few years ago - yeah, I waited until I was sure he wasn't kidding. Got a tower blind now to avoid his revenge minded relatives, but could take the ground blind out again...

[Linked Image]
"I call that a brave charge for a dink-racked buck".

So far we haven't discussed the cut-off date for this year's IDIOT (I-ngwe DI-nk O T-hon). As THE JUDGE, I declare it will continue until the last legal season ends this winter, even for road-kill.

I LIKE the Acronym! laugh

But you guys might as well sit back...hunting season doesnt start here for a couple weeks, and the Master has yet had a chance to work his Magic..... wink

Ingwe

But you guys might as well sit back...hunting season doesnt start here for a couple weeks, and the Master has yet had a chance to work his Magic..... wink

Ingwe

Do I need to post pictures again to remind you, you have competetion? Huh? do I? Check over your shoulder grandpa. grin
No need to get mean...

Besides, remember that Ruger270 dude is biting at our heels!!!! shocked

Ingwe
You guys are just ametuers. I got one week and the games begin.
I'll throw my hat in the ring,but season for me won't start for three more weeks. Just too much growing time 'tween now and then. Maybe I could trap a small one and starve him till black powder season.
I still plan on winning the four points on one side division in four weeks....

Dink
Alright lets set some rules.

1. Broken horns don't count.
2. Button heads don't count (to easy) the antlers must measure at least 1".
3. Pictures of you and the deer are required for entry.

How does that sound.

Perfect. What is the grand prize?
RULES....? we don't need no stinking Rules....... grin

Ingwe
Rules? And what's this about no broken horns? You mean I can't use the "big gun", the F-250? I have to drive the Toyota? Argh! cry
The horse power to dink ratio has to count for extra credit. Ie. A half dozen rounds of 338 Lapua at 15 yards, including one or two in the paunch and one in the arse.
I like that. Also, extra credit for miles per hour.
More dead needs to finally count for something.
Any points awarded for consistency?? If I can kill a dink this year, it'll be my third in a row....

I think I should be able to retire the trophy....

I'm just sayin..... whistle

ingwe
Wouldn't you qualify for the "Life Time Achievement Award"?
I'm working on it! Lifes not over yet!! laugh

Ingwe
Swampy is going for " Miss Congeniality".... grin

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
He probably should shoot those things when it is more daylight. Just sayin...
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
He probably should shoot those things when it is more daylight. Just sayin...

Why d'you think spotlights were invented?:)
swamptroll looks mighty clean.Might not even be his deer.
Originally Posted by Whelenman

[Linked Image]

That thing is a giant, compared to what we have in Michigan now.

Stop shooting them then and let them grow.
Apparently I should not have let the one antlered spike walk...

On the other hand, he may mature to a 5x5!
This is one contest I won't feel bad about losing........ laugh
I have encountered a problem in competing in the Dink-a-thon. The state of Minnesota, in it's infinite wisdom, has chosen to jeopardize my chances of winning this prestigious title by not giving me a doe tag. Will there be a separate class for the smallest legal spike buck? There should be for those of us not legally able to shoot true dinks.
No worries...spike bucks make excellent entries...ask me how I know.... whistle

Ingwe
Ingwe.....I have one scouted out that will give you a run for the title this year. He MIGHT be a legal buck, but it doesn't matter, because have an antlerless tag (less than 3" antlers - nothing) and I've seen him on two occasions now. grin
Ingwe.....I have one scouted out that will give you a run for the title this year. He MIGHT be a legal buck, but it doesn't matter, because have an antlerless tag (less than 3" antlers - nothing) and I've seen him on two occasions now. grin
Dang you T-Zone! That's just not fair! I know that just because I don't have a doe tag I'll be seeing dinks so small I'll have the turn the scope up to 9X just to make sure they're not chihuahua's!
I'll be in 178 the first weekend. We never used to even get doe tags there, now they pass em out like candy.
I guess I screwed up when I passed up a nub the other weekend!
I wish I could shoot a dink. But I guess the 6 pointer I saw last week will have to work.

Next week I will try for some sorta deer.
No worries Winnie...you have to get a great deal of experience and "mature" into hunting dinks!!! laugh

Ingwe
Winnie....You shouldn't shoot dinks on your first couple years out. You have to work your way into it. Its a marathon, not a sprint.

You shoot that six pointer. Take lots of pictures and show them to us. I wish you luck.
Swampy is going for " Miss Congeniality".... grin

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

[Linked Image]
ROR!
Ingwe
I guess it be years before I can have enough experience to shoot a dink.

I hope to see that 6 pointer and get him to go broadside for a few seconds.

Also thanks Tzone
Hang in there kid, dinking ain't easy wink
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Ingwe
I guess it be years before I can have enough experience to shoot a dink.

I hope to see that 6 pointer and get him to go broadside for a few seconds.

Also thanks Tzone

Winnie..it also helps to be old and fat so you dont want to climb the mountains anymore and drag down the big heavy boys... grin

But you need your share of non-dinks first...

Go get that six point! laugh

Ingwe
Oh and ya gotta drag big ones for all the old guys when you are young too.

Basically everything heavy that hits the ground you gotta drag it no matter if you shot it or not. That's what young guys do.

grin .............

Hey, wait a minute.... How come I'm still doin that chit?

Hey kid, you gotta remind yourself to stop all that free dragin when you get older grin
You shouldn't be draggin nuthin at Chicknebuck man...there is those two young boys, that 19 year old one looks like he could pull the cabin if we needed him to, and all those wimmin folk around there, jeesh, you wouldn't think we'd even haffta open our own beer. grin

oh crap. eek
I could haul a big deer out.

At least I know I can haul a hog to a truck. grin

I hit the range last week and saw a fella shooting a 700. Too bad his bolt fell off after the first shot. laugh
Winnie:

Cut your teeth of the biggest deer you can "throw hands on".

Dedicated dink drilling takes much effort. Lots of scouting, frayed nerves, blurred vision, sore feet, etc. Only the real masters know that scouting for a place to shoot them close to the road on the uphill side of a steep one can be excruciatingly difficult and a very delicate task.

You are much too young to have to suffer these indignities.

Find the six pointer and shoot him well. Then post pics. grin
Thank you for the laugh Karnis.

That sounds way too hard for me.
The rules have us Wisconsin boys at a disadvantage. Bucks have to have a 3 inch spike to be legal. We can put a doe tag on a buck with less than 3 inches if we have one.

There are about 20 buck only units this year so anyone that hunts those units would be SOL.

How big a bribe does Mule Deer want to look the other way?

I vote that you win the dink-o-thon with that 6pt buck, being it would be your first deer and all.
No doe tag Bill? You could shoot a dink and use the doe tag if you get a small enough one.
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
The rules have us Wisconsin boys at a disadvantage. Bucks have to have a 3 inch spike to be legal. We can put a doe tag on a buck with less than 3 inches if we have one.

There are about 20 buck only units this year so anyone that hunts those units would be SOL.

How big a bribe does Mule Deer want to look the other way?

I thnk it was said a few pages back that dinkdom would be graded upon the minimum restrictions fo the area being unted. ie - a 3" minimum with no doe tag = 3.5" dink is a mighty fine contender depending on how much "style" was employed in the harvesting method.
I was only on page 12 when I posted. Should have waited.
No doe tag Bill? You could shoot a dink and use the doe tag if you get a small enough one.

Got the doe tag covered Tom. Our unit (19) issued a very limited number of antlerless tags (Just over 600) and I was lucky enough to get one.

I vote that you win the dink-o-thon with that 6pt buck, being it would be your first deer and all.

Winnie....if this is gonna be your first deer, you'll get style points out the wazoo!!! laugh ( regardless of size...)

Ingwe
Ha ok ingwe. I will try to score some points next week
grin
You all might as well pack up and go home now; the winner of this was a fore gone conclusion grin

[Linked Image]
You guys are doing it wrong. grin You have to plan it out so you kill the deer (no matter the size) where you can get to it with a tractor with a bucket. I've killed three BIG old deer in handy spots where you could drive right up to them, roll them into the bucket, drive to the pickup and drop them right in the bed. laugh That's how it's done in farm country! I'd never, ever lie about such matters, either. grin
Witness this old thing, shot in 2004, I think it was. I popped him within a quarter-mile of my stepbrother's shed, where he keeps his tractor. THEN I GOT HIM OUT OF BED TO HELP ME LOAD UP THE DEER. (we gutted and washed out the carcass while we had it hanging from the bucket). I hardly laid a hand on him. It isn't quite a dink, but it was a fine old 5x5 buck. Huge for our part of Missouri.

Attached picture Bob2004.jpg
Originally Posted by Pete E
You all might as well pack up and go home now; the winner of this was a fore gone conclusion grin

[Linked Image]

Uh-oh...competition from "across the pond"....

We arent familiar with Muntjac here...how do we know you didnt photoshop those Swarovskis to make them look bigger and the deer smaller...?

Sheesh...some people will do anything for "points"....

wink
Ingwe
grin
Giant rifles as well? grin

[Linked Image]

If the going gets really nasty, I have a picture of a Muntjac "slinky" (fetus) some where....Accept defeat graciously!! grin
Yep...dats a giant rifle..

Hope those little buggers don't taste like their name sounds... eek

Ingwe
I think a 2x7 Leupy on a three wood is more sporting.. grin
I think a slingshot with a marble would kill one of those.
It would get you more "style points".... grin

Ingwe
Think maybe a tray of Dcon on a long string would work..well maybe only a half tray... laugh Sorry Pete!!! grin
Maybe one of those sticky pads they put their feet on, and can't get off.... whistle

Ingwe
[Linked Image]

Here is the style point winner.
[Linked Image]

DooooooooD! laugh

Ingwe
Does the movie "Caddy Shack" come to mind...???.. grin
I said it last year and I'll say it again now. 4' x 8' sticky traps

[Linked Image]

No fair, I think you stole an eagle's kill grin

The video shows an eagle taking a Roe deer, which are usually considerably bigger than Muntjac...But we can do Roe if you want grin

Again with the "giant rifle" grin

[Linked Image]
I think we are at a disadvantages here in the colonies...having to use standard sized rifles etc... whistle

Ingwe
Can I enter?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

grin grin grin

I have to confess to cheating anyway, as the pics are not from this year...

Actually Muntjac are tough little buggers and the bucks are often quite badly scarred up from fighting.

The bucks and the does will often turn the table on a dog if they get cornered, and its not unusual for a dog to get badly gashed on the flank and stomach during such encounters...

And I should add Muntjac excellent to eat, although they are a bugger to skin as the skin is alomost bonded direct to the muscle underneath, with no airspace/membrane seperating them as with most other species of deer...

Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Can I enter?
[Linked Image]

Nope...... grin

You don't have a chance in hell at winning with that thing.....

smile
Ingwe
Pete,all kidding aside you're a GOOD sport about all the ribbin !!!Just wondered do they taste like venison or something else??
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Pete,all kidding aside you're a GOOD sport about all the ribbin !!!Just wondered do they taste like venison or something else??

Wouldn't have posted them if I couldn't take some ribbing! grin

As to taste, they are definitely "venison" although I wouldn't say they are as strong as say Red deer. But taste is very difficult to describe and very subjective.

I read so many people hear taking about different ways to get rif of the "gamey" flavour ie leaving the carcass in ice water for a few days..I find that a bit odd as I like by venison to taste of venison and not to be bland like supermarket bought beef..

For instance, I always found Roe venison just "ok", but quite bland. On a recommendation from somebody I hunt with, I started hanging them for 7 to 10 days rather than my usual 3 to 5, and the difference was marked and the flavour much better.

These days I prefer to hang a carcass for 10 to 14 days (or longer if its possible without the risk of loosing it)

Another species we have, but I've never taken, is Chinese Water Deer, and the venison from those is said to have a taste and texture approaching lamb, but less fatty...

[Linked Image]

I think we just found another use for the 17HMR wink
Oh, dooooood! the .17 would be a perfect Muntjac rifle! laugh

Ingwe
Oh, dooooood! the .17 would be a perfect Muntjac rifle! laugh

Ingwe

Funnily enough .22 Center fires have only just been legalised for Muntjac and CWD; prior to that the minimum caliber was .243Rem...
[Linked Image] O'man I'm in the presence of pros, and I thought this guy was a trophy dink.
© 24hourcampfire