Home
What part of the deer would you say this cut of meat come from? I know its hard to tell from a pic but give it your best shot.

[Linked Image]
Looks to me like the neck.
Kinda what I was thinking, I picked a deer up from a deer processor Friday that my daughter had killed a couple weeks ago. I got two of these for the backstraps..LOL....
No one processes my deer but me.
And now the wife.
Originally Posted by Hunter333
Kinda what I was thinking, I picked a deer up from a deer processor Friday that my daughter had killed a couple weeks ago. I got two of these for the backstraps..LOL....

If you had an end view of the cut I could tell you if it was a back strap or not.
How heavy was the deer?
Field dressed 146 lbs
I'll go ahead and say thats not a back strap....thats not the way they strip em out, that looks like a fillet'd peice of meat.. Besides, there isn't that much meat on the rib cage next em. Make a good roast tho.
Congrats to your daughter. cool
Thanks, I guess I'll take the time and cut my own from now own.LOL.....
Posted By: Wardman Re: Butchering your own deer ? - 12/17/12
It's not chops, is it? Are there rib bones on the other side that we cannot see?
Posted By: JPro Re: Butchering your own deer ? - 12/17/12
Thanks, I guess I'll take the time and cut my own from now own.LOL.....

I wouldn't do it any other way. It can be a PITA sometimes, but it is worth it....
Originally Posted by Wardman
It's not chops, is it? Are there rib bones on the other side that we cannot see?

No, what you are seeing in the pic is where I separated two muscles and left them connected on one side. I have cut a bunch of backstraps out of deer and this isn't a backstrap. LOL....
I have a good time doing mine. I'm never in a hurry and enjoy a good whiskey whilst doing it. Unfortunately I had forgotten that I gave me last grinder to a pard and I'm currently grinderless. Cabelas should have a new one to me later this week...
Is it that little football shaped roast on the hind leg?
I can see a grinder and vac sealer being purchased soon.
Posted By: JPro Re: Butchering your own deer ? - 12/17/12
The whiskey is a given, it's the "hurry" part that is the kicker, as I generally try to get 2-3 deer in a time span of 3-4 days to make it worth dragging out the grinder and equipment. It can make for rather long butchering and packaging session sometimes. Did get to watch both Blackhawk Down and Ghost and the Darkness the other day when I cut up three....
I guess the old saying holds true, "If you want something done right, do it yourself." LOL..... But I really was wanting some backstrap tomorrow. I'm off work until Jan.7 so I guess I can take out my hidden anger on a couple does this week. LOL......
Yep, good luck keepin after em....either sex opens up here in TN tommorrow in alot of countys...
Weve put up 17 so far this year.
Even if one is going to take part of the deer to have burger/sausage made, I don't know why you wouldn't pull the backstraps and tenderloins.
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Yep, good luck keepin after em....either sex opens up here in TN tommorrow in alot of countys...
Weve put up 17 so far this year.

Yeah I live and hunt in Unit L in TN so its 3 doe a day. I usually put 3 in the freezer every year. I'm kinda behind but plan on stacking them up next couple weeks. I have spent most of the season trying to get my daughter on a good buck and hunting two particular bucks that have eluded me so far. I have some incentive to do some killing now.LOL.....Hope yall have a good rest of the season.
I'm in Unit L also.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Even if one is going to take part of the deer to have burger/sausage made, I don't know why you wouldn't pull the backstraps and tenderloins.

Yeah I should have, but have not had any problems till now. Sorry for the pissing and moaning. Kinda non issue with all the problems alot of people are having right know.
Posted By: rod44 Re: Butchering your own deer ? - 12/17/12
I debone mine while hanging. Takes about a half hour if I have some helping by wrapping and holding here and there.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jtown Re: Butchering your own deer ? - 12/17/12
Survey says YOU GOT SCREWED, never trust a processor Rackseeker!
That is def. not a backstrip!
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Butchering your own deer ? - 12/17/12
The upper portion in the picture is the top round and the person who told you it's backstrap should not be touching your meat.

Separate the top muscle from the lower muscle and ether slice it into steaks or if you make jerky, slice it thin across the grain and it'll make the best jerky you ever had.
Originally Posted by Jtown

I know this, Thanks thats the nicest thing you have ever said to me on here. LOL.......
Posted By: Jtown Re: Butchering your own deer ? - 12/17/12
Originally Posted by Jtown

I know this, Thanks thats the nicest thing you have ever said to me on here. LOL.......

You are welcome. A similar experience is why I started doing my own, took a 150# deer and picked it up in 2 grocery sacks. Somebody ate well off of that.
I process my own deer . I usually try and put 3 in the freezer and give the rest away to friends. I need to get busy in the next few weeks . The weather has just not been right here. Im in Unit L also, Chester and Hardeman Co.
I agree with Miles58. Looks like Top Round to me. It won't make you feel any better, but goofy crap like this is why I have been cutting up my own for the last 20+ years. We did three this last week.
Posted By: goalie Re: Butchering your own deer ? - 12/17/12

Yup. Time well spent.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Butchering your own deer ? - 12/17/12

Yep, family job around here, when I get lucky and they're here anyway. Takes me about 3-4 hours to bone out a deer and get it ready for the grinder or packaging by myself. I'm pretty picky about getting most of the silver skin and fat off what I'm keeping.
Gotten in the habit the last few years of just making 3 big roasts from each hind, chops from the loin, and burger from everything else. We'll cook a roast then the leftovers go into vegetable soup or stew. The burger is used in chili, spaghetti, lasagne and that type of thing. 2-3 a year and we're still out by next season.
did 3 on saturday in a couple of hours. start to finish.

I can skin/quarter pretty quick, it's the finer cutting/ grinding and wrapping that takes the time
did 3 on saturday in a couple of hours. start to finish.

You are either damn fast or do not take nearly the pains to get all the fat and silver skin as I do. miles
I'm all about freezing with some of fat, silver skin on, helps protect the good stuff in the freezer.
Besides, it's far easier to remove on a piece of half-frozen venison.
I'm all about freezing with some of fat, silver skin on, helps protect the good stuff in the freezer.

I do too, Cuts alot of time out puttin a deer up and doesn'nt take long at all to clean it up before I cook it. Unless I'm grindin it for burger.
I don't cut steaks and stuff either. I leave all the muscle groups whole. I'll decide if I want steaks, roast or what ever when I take it out of the freezer to eat it.
I do too, Cuts alot of time out puttin a deer up and doesn'nt take long at all to clean it up before I cook it.

Thing is, I rarely do the cooking and the cook likes it clean when she takes it out of the package. She does slice the muscles as she wants them. I pack in large chunks of individual muscle. miles
Posted By: ihookem Re: Butchering your own deer ? - 12/17/12
Last time we went the butcher for deer we ended up with a roast that weighed about 8 pounds. Real bad job. I took a bear in so It would stay in the freezer over night and he did a real good job. I have even cut my bear too if it's small.
That almost looks like the upper end of the backstrap as it goes up into the neck where you find a parallel muscle group that almost seems like it's part of the 'strap.

I always do my own because, as others have said, I know it's mine and I know what I've got when I finish.

Looks to me like the neck.

That's my take too. Left side. I usually cut the backstrap in a continuous strip (pretty even width) when coming off the top of the ribs and onto the neck. Looks like they connected some neck meat with the backstrap.
Posted By: PMC Re: Butchering your own deer ? - 12/18/12
Wow. That is not a backstrap. Like a bunch have said I do all my own processing. when I am done the packages are weighed, labeled and ready to cook straight from the freezer.

I do too, Cuts alot of time out puttin a deer up and doesn'nt take long at all to clean it up before I cook it. Unless I'm grindin it for burger.
I don't cut steaks and stuff either. I leave all the muscle groups whole. I'll decide if I want steaks, roast or what ever when I take it out of the freezer to eat it.

same here, it's easy to take a couple swipes with the knife before cooking, when trying to put up several deer at a time it adds a lot of time doing each cut perfect.
Posted By: rod44 Re: Butchering your own deer ? - 12/18/12
If you have done enough of them (50 yrs worth) it should only take 30-40 minutes per deer cut up into steaks, chops, roasts and stew meat if they are already skinned. See pict on page 3. I enjoy cutting them up almost as much as shooting them.
You lose 45 man points for not processing your own deer.

And the "wahhh, I live under a homeowner's association excuse" will net you another minus 10.

laugh
Originally Posted by slumlord
You lose 45 man points for not processing your own deer.

And the "wahhh, I live under a homeowner's association excuse" will net you another minus 10.

laugh
agreed.
What I've found as a best practice --

If it's cold enough hang the deer

Then quarter it and pull the back straps and put them in a cooler or old Fridge until you can cut them up

** I buy the huge roll of commercial grade plastic wrap from Costco, and wrap the quartered meat up so it's air and water tight- this way the meat doesn't dehydrate anymore, and it's kept nice and clean - and away from any water in the coolers as the ice melts.

Then cut them into steaks / roasts / jerky meat when I get time in the next few days.

Originally Posted by slumlord

laugh

laugh
I'd speculate you have a chunk of the rear quarter there. I'd follow the advice to divide the individual muscles and then steak them. If the dimensions are sufficient for steaks, then possibly stew meat or burger.
I am 43 and only had one deer processed in my lifetime while hunting in Wyoming due to warm weather. It was horrible because they left all the fat on the meat. My dad started me out processing deer when I was 9 years old so when I put a deer on the ground, processing is just part of the hunt. I have a rule when processing deer, if it is white get rid of it. I believe deer fat gives the meat an odd gamey taste. It takes me about 4 hours to process from start to finish depending on how much jerky I cut out. Back straps are the best when cut into 2.5 inch chunks and rapped with pepper bacon (one pound of bacon per back strap on med. to large deer) then seasoned on both ends and vacuumed packed.
As far as the chunk of meat it is hard to tell the size but guessing by the fat and the gain of the meat, I would guess somewhere around the neck.
© 24hourcampfire