Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
PMC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow. That is not a backstrap. Like a bunch have said I do all my own processing. when I am done the packages are weighed, labeled and ready to cook straight from the freezer.

shhh. be vewy vewy quiet. i'm hunting deer. uhhh uhhh uhhhh.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm all about freezing with some of fat, silver skin on, helps protect the good stuff in the freezer.

I do too, Cuts alot of time out puttin a deer up and doesn'nt take long at all to clean it up before I cook it. Unless I'm grindin it for burger.
I don't cut steaks and stuff either. I leave all the muscle groups whole. I'll decide if I want steaks, roast or what ever when I take it out of the freezer to eat it.

same here, it's easy to take a couple swipes with the knife before cooking, when trying to put up several deer at a time it adds a lot of time doing each cut perfect.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you have done enough of them (50 yrs worth) it should only take 30-40 minutes per deer cut up into steaks, chops, roasts and stew meat if they are already skinned. See pict on page 3. I enjoy cutting them up almost as much as shooting them.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You lose 45 man points for not processing your own deer.

And the "wahhh, I live under a homeowner's association excuse" will net you another minus 10.

laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
You lose 45 man points for not processing your own deer.

And the "wahhh, I live under a homeowner's association excuse" will net you another minus 10.

laugh
agreed.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What I've found as a best practice --

If it's cold enough hang the deer

Then quarter it and pull the back straps and put them in a cooler or old Fridge until you can cut them up

** I buy the huge roll of commercial grade plastic wrap from Costco, and wrap the quartered meat up so it's air and water tight- this way the meat doesn't dehydrate anymore, and it's kept nice and clean - and away from any water in the coolers as the ice melts.

Then cut them into steaks / roasts / jerky meat when I get time in the next few days.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by slumlord

laugh

laugh

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd speculate you have a chunk of the rear quarter there. I'd follow the advice to divide the individual muscles and then steak them. If the dimensions are sufficient for steaks, then possibly stew meat or burger.

1Minute
I am 43 and only had one deer processed in my lifetime while hunting in Wyoming due to warm weather. It was horrible because they left all the fat on the meat. My dad started me out processing deer when I was 9 years old so when I put a deer on the ground, processing is just part of the hunt. I have a rule when processing deer, if it is white get rid of it. I believe deer fat gives the meat an odd gamey taste. It takes me about 4 hours to process from start to finish depending on how much jerky I cut out. Back straps are the best when cut into 2.5 inch chunks and rapped with pepper bacon (one pound of bacon per back strap on med. to large deer) then seasoned on both ends and vacuumed packed.
As far as the chunk of meat it is hard to tell the size but guessing by the fat and the gain of the meat, I would guess somewhere around the neck.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1eyedmule, 1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,410
Posts18,507,058
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.