Home
Posted By: setch hunting solo? - 11/04/14
My brother and I were talking last week while on a hunt and he told me that he hates hunting alone. He much prefers to hunt with others for the camaraderie, etc. While I really enjoy hunting with my brothers and dad, I never gave this much thought and equally enjoy hunting alone.

What are your thoughts/preferences?
Posted By: kawi Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
Got no choice most times. solo
Posted By: uinta Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
Almost all my hunting has been solo- 25+ years. I do like hunting with others, but I'm pretty particular...
Posted By: Evan Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
My horse and I alone. Seems most want to stay up all night drinking. I rarely invite anyone to hunt with me.

I work best alone and feel the same hunting.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
Mostly solo in the field. I like other people around when I get back to camp.
Posted By: old_willys Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
Originally Posted by kawi

+1 But I now enjoy solo hunting and camping. Spend a week last month in the Sequoia National forest camped at 7500 ft, first 3 days I was the only camp site for miles.
Posted By: bigswede358 Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
The majority of the time it is solo. I hate haveing to worry about another person. I do enjoy hunting with my wife. Although, she doesn't like to go as rough as places as I do. Its usually an easier hunting day when she comes along.
Posted By: Tanner Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
I have "one more ridge Syndrome" really bad and I find that I piss a lot of my friends and family off with it, so I've found that hunting solo is easier that way.

Tanner
Posted By: Steelhead Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
99% of my hunting has been solo.

It's easier to find a good spouse than it is a good hunting partner.
Posted By: RWE Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
Originally Posted by Steelhead

word.

Posted By: JDK Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
Originally Posted by BobinNH

+1
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
I am particular about almost everything and find myself getting really annoyed with others that aren't as particular as I am. There are a couple guys I will turkey hunt with but only a couple. I do periodically take others but prefer solo

The lone exception to that is my 9 year old son. This fall is the first time he has really hunted with me. I have taken him before but that wasn't really hunting as much as it was a father and son spending time together. This year he is really hunting with me.

I have to do some things differently (drive the mule part way to the stand instead of walking from the gate, forget about scent control, don't get annoyed with an accidental noise or movement in the stand) but it's well worth it and I want him to enjoy it.

Took him and a friend a couple weeks ago and we saw 17 deer in an afternoon and morning sit, so I guess doing some things different didn't hurt much
Posted By: GuyM Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
Thoroughly enjoy hunting with my youngest son, and/or a good buddy. Fishing trips are best when Dad comes along. Bird hunting is an awful lot of fun when there is someone to razz about a miss... Evening meal at hunting camp is fun with a few friends & plenty of stories being told.

On the other hand, I enjoy getting out into the hills alone too.

Either way. No matter.

Guy
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
99% of the time I hunt alone.
Posted By: Royce Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
Excuse my preaching, but here goes.
I hunt alone a lot and always carry a beacon locator (a Spot). When I am out of cell phone service, I hit the "I am okay" button so my better half can check the computer if I don't show up on time. Several messages from the same location means I have something down and will be late. Also, if I have gotten gored by a gopher search and rescue can find me easier.

Royce
Posted By: Lorin Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
hunting alone doesnt bother me, getting hurt with no one around does. Especially if no one is familiar with the area \ areas that I may be hunting. Perhaps its an age thing?
Posted By: mudhen Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
I usually hunt by myself, but the last few years my wife has been "arranging" hunting partners for me. Her efforts have fizzled this year, and she is adamantly opposing a proposed 6-day solo deer hunt the first week of December. She is worried not only about a 71-year-old fart falling and/or hurting himself, but also about illegals up high in the mountains where whitetails and dope smugglers hang out. We'll see...
Posted By: bruinruin Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
I'm in the "I like to hunt alone, but enjoy the camaraderie of hunting camp", group.

I did invite a colleague/buddy to hunt my place opening weekend if he wants to.
Posted By: Pirate Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
Both have benefits and both have problems. I don't mind hunting with people for things like elk since extra bodies make packing easier. But if I'm really serious about getting game, I'll go about it alone. I hunt better alone because I don't have anybody to distract me.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
I'm a solo hunter who likes the camaraderie of a camp or saloon before and/or after the hunt. My best hunting partner (my pop) left us in 1990 and I have yet to find a suitable substitute for an elbow brushing partner. My current partner goes his own way and keeps in touch via cell phone if he or I needs assistance, and that's fine by me.
Posted By: GregW Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
Originally Posted by Tanner
I have "one more ridge Syndrome" really bad and I find that I piss a lot of my friends and family off with it, so I've found that hunting solo is easier that way.

Tanner

We would get along real good bud....
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
Originally Posted by Steelhead
99% of my hunting has been solo.

Amen!
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
In the field, I'm always alone. Every so often I will call turkeys or coyotes with a bud.

But I often drive to hunts with buds, or meet there. We walk out to our own separate spots. Same thing at camp. Hang out before/after, hunt separately.........
Posted By: Steve_in_PA Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
Solo.

Back when I got out of the USMC circa 1983, I hunted with my brother-in-law for a few years. It was okay, but then we went our separate ways.

The last few years I have hunted on and off with a few guys I know, but eventually I end up doing my own thing.
Posted By: 65X54 Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
I would prefer to hunt solo. It's much easier as I do not have to explain the poor choices I make.
Posted By: ridgerunner85 Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
Originally Posted by 65X54
I would prefer to hunt solo. It's much easier as I do not have to explain the poor choices I make.

Hahaha, same here.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: hunting solo? - 11/04/14
I probably do 98 percent of my hunting solo.. When I worked, I hunted a lot after work by myself.. Since I have retired, and hunt a bit everyday, not many want to go that much.. I enjoy hunting with my pals, but hunting alone give one freedom to do as you like..
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: hunting solo? - 11/05/14
Vast majority of the time I hunt solo. Usually if someone is with me it is someone I'm taking hunting and I try to do whatever I can to make it work for them...it ain't about me hunting but if I do get to hunt at the same time so much the better.

One exception is my Dad. He took me for a lot of years, now we go together, a few years down the road it will be me taking him...as long as he wants to go.
Posted By: Tanner Re: hunting solo? - 11/05/14
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

We would get along real good bud....

Good to know that others also suffer the syndrome... Only problem is, my "one more ridge" is fruitless more often than not, hence the pissed off friends and family....grin

Tanner
Posted By: setch Re: hunting solo? - 11/05/14
Originally Posted by BobinNH

This is exactly how I feel. I hate to be on a schedule when I hunt, checking in or meeting up. I like to let the hunt dictate my schedule.
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: hunting solo? - 11/05/14
Originally Posted by bigswede358
I do enjoy hunting with my wife. Although, she doesn't like to go as rough as places as I do. Its usually an easier hunting day when she comes along.

Works for me.
Posted By: Ravenr2 Re: hunting solo? - 11/05/14
Often alone for my own hunting but do alot
of guiding so its kinda nice to get away.
Write down my destination so my sweetheart
can tell my partners.
Posted By: Dooger Re: hunting solo? - 11/05/14
Originally Posted by kawi

Same here. I travel 8+ hours and can't get anybody to go. I bought a 14'x16' Davis tent thinking I'd have company. Sorta wish I would have bought a 10'x12' or such. Maybe even a Snowtrekker to do canoe trips with.

That said, I need to explain a bit: I live in Upper MI. Baiting has been huge here for 30 years. Many people here like to sit the same heated box or tent blind day after day. They stare at a bait pile 50-100 yards away in timber. Most can't see much farther than that and hardly at all side to side.

It's just not for me and my style isn't for them. I like big woods with topography, no bait and big bucks. All of that is lacking where I live. I may sit, still hunt, track and stalk on any given day.

I also like to hunt alone, but have camp mates. That way we can compare notes of different areas, rut activity, etc. In the future, I'll probably travel out west quite a bit, but I'm sure that'll be alone too.
Posted By: Dooger Re: hunting solo? - 11/05/14
Originally Posted by Evan
Seems most want to stay up all night drinking.

I work best alone and feel the same hunting.

Yup, that applies to me as well. I don't understand why people say "deer camp" when it's actually "beer camp". You can drink 365 days a year, the rut only comes around once...or your chosen season.
Posted By: JGray Re: hunting solo? - 11/05/14
Years ago, I had a couple other guys I hunted with but we've gone separate ways. Those were multi-day trips and we camped together but hunted solo - that worked well and I miss that. Now, I mostly hunt solo (day trips) and my wife doesn't like it so I try and be respectful of that by leaving her detailed info on where I will be to keep her worrying to a minimum.

I keep thinking I'd like to have a hunting parter, but every time I go out with someone it's a pain in the arse for reasons already mentioned here, and I typically find it less enjoyable than solo (unless there's an elk down). I'm at the point that I will likely continue the solo hunts until my grandsons are older and then it will be all about taking them out. I'm hoping the camping and comradery will all come back then...
Posted By: iblong Re: hunting solo? - 11/05/14
I've been hunting solo for the last 20 years as most my hunting friends quit hunting early on.Used to love the company now Im not sure I could handle it.Kinda got used to doing my own thing when and where I want.Up side is I have only had One season in 20 years that I have not filled my tags.
© 24hourcampfire