Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My brother and I were talking last week while on a hunt and he told me that he hates hunting alone. He much prefers to hunt with others for the camaraderie, etc. While I really enjoy hunting with my brothers and dad, I never gave this much thought and equally enjoy hunting alone.

What are your thoughts/preferences?

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Got no choice most times. solo

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Almost all my hunting has been solo- 25+ years. I do like hunting with others, but I'm pretty particular...

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My horse and I alone. Seems most want to stay up all night drinking. I rarely invite anyone to hunt with me.

I work best alone and feel the same hunting.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mostly solo in the field. I like other people around when I get back to camp.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by kawi
Got no choice most times. solo

+1 But I now enjoy solo hunting and camping. Spend a week last month in the Sequoia National forest camped at 7500 ft, first 3 days I was the only camp site for miles.

Ted
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The majority of the time it is solo. I hate haveing to worry about another person. I do enjoy hunting with my wife. Although, she doesn't like to go as rough as places as I do. Its usually an easier hunting day when she comes along.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have "one more ridge Syndrome" really bad and I find that I piss a lot of my friends and family off with it, so I've found that hunting solo is easier that way.

Tanner

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
99% of my hunting has been solo.

It's easier to find a good spouse than it is a good hunting partner.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's easier to find a good spouse than it is a good hunting partner.

word.

IC B3

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Mostly solo in the field. I like other people around when I get back to camp.

+1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I am particular about almost everything and find myself getting really annoyed with others that aren't as particular as I am. There are a couple guys I will turkey hunt with but only a couple. I do periodically take others but prefer solo

The lone exception to that is my 9 year old son. This fall is the first time he has really hunted with me. I have taken him before but that wasn't really hunting as much as it was a father and son spending time together. This year he is really hunting with me.

I have to do some things differently (drive the mule part way to the stand instead of walking from the gate, forget about scent control, don't get annoyed with an accidental noise or movement in the stand) but it's well worth it and I want him to enjoy it.

Took him and a friend a couple weeks ago and we saw 17 deer in an afternoon and morning sit, so I guess doing some things different didn't hurt much

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Thoroughly enjoy hunting with my youngest son, and/or a good buddy. Fishing trips are best when Dad comes along. Bird hunting is an awful lot of fun when there is someone to razz about a miss... Evening meal at hunting camp is fun with a few friends & plenty of stories being told.

On the other hand, I enjoy getting out into the hills alone too.

Either way. No matter.

Guy

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
99% of the time I hunt alone.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Excuse my preaching, but here goes.
I hunt alone a lot and always carry a beacon locator (a Spot). When I am out of cell phone service, I hit the "I am okay" button so my better half can check the computer if I don't show up on time. Several messages from the same location means I have something down and will be late. Also, if I have gotten gored by a gopher search and rescue can find me easier.

Royce

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
hunting alone doesnt bother me, getting hurt with no one around does. Especially if no one is familiar with the area \ areas that I may be hunting. Perhaps its an age thing?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I usually hunt by myself, but the last few years my wife has been "arranging" hunting partners for me. Her efforts have fizzled this year, and she is adamantly opposing a proposed 6-day solo deer hunt the first week of December. She is worried not only about a 71-year-old fart falling and/or hurting himself, but also about illegals up high in the mountains where whitetails and dope smugglers hang out. We'll see...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm in the "I like to hunt alone, but enjoy the camaraderie of hunting camp", group.

I did invite a colleague/buddy to hunt my place opening weekend if he wants to.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Both have benefits and both have problems. I don't mind hunting with people for things like elk since extra bodies make packing easier. But if I'm really serious about getting game, I'll go about it alone. I hunt better alone because I don't have anybody to distract me.

Be careful what you ask for because you just may get it someday.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm a solo hunter who likes the camaraderie of a camp or saloon before and/or after the hunt. My best hunting partner (my pop) left us in 1990 and I have yet to find a suitable substitute for an elbow brushing partner. My current partner goes his own way and keeps in touch via cell phone if he or I needs assistance, and that's fine by me.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1234, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,403
Posts18,488,921
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.