Home
Posted By: Shag Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/17/18
Would greatly appreciate to hear/see your thoughts/experience with the 6mm rem.!

Thanks
Posted By: Judman Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/17/18
Ya
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/17/18
It is a nice cartridge, I've had at least one for the past 50 years and currently have 2, a Remington 660 and a first year 700 with the X'd out MAG.

I've shot bobcats, coyotes, deer, foxes, and woodchucks with bullets in the 75 thru 100 grain range. At one time I thought that the 6mm was enough better than the 243 to be worth the extra effort and expense, but I've changed my mind and now mostly shoot the 243s. That said, if I stumbled across a 700 CDL-SF for under $500, I think that it would be hard to pass up.
I have had one for about 30 years. Mine is a sporterized Mauser 98 with a 26" barrel of some sort tossed into a Herter's stock. It was my main deer rifle until 1996 when I replaced it with a 300 mag.

I hunted mostly woods deer and found the rifle and standard factory ammo to do most of what I wanted but not all. I nearly lost two large bucks when the cup and core bullets broke up on frontal shots. I did recover the bucks but only because of snow for tracking as there was a very minimal blood trail. Better bullets would produce different results but the rifle has fallen from favor. It was taken as a back up on several deer and antelope trips but hasn't been used on game since 2003 when a nephew used it.

I found 100 gr Remington green box ammo to be the most accurate in my gun. I bought several boxes of Federal Premium with 100 gr Partitions that are accurate enough for hunting. I'm still trying to come up with an accurate reload but have not put much effort into it until recently. A near max load of Reloader 19 with Sierra 100 gr Game Kings is close to the Remington load.

I may not use the 6 mm much these days but I like the gun and the cartridge has a draw on me for some reason.
Posted By: Elvis Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/17/18
I have a couple of .257 Roberts's, a 7x57 and an 8x57 but just can't warm to the 6mm Rem (on the same family case) or any of the other 6mm rounds for some reason.
I have an Ithaca LSA 65 in 6mm Remington. I load 100 grain Sierra Game Kings to 3000 fps. I use that one load for everything I use the 6mm for, deer and coyotes. It's always done everything I've asked of it, but I don't ask it to be something it's not. It's not my always gun, but it does get used on a regular basis.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/17/18
I used a pair of them back in the 80s and 90s for woodchuck. Fun round. These were a Ruger #1 and a m700 Varmint. Pretty good shooters the both of them. 70/75 grain hp for summer,100 grain Hornady in the fall.
It was my stockmaking instructor's go to round for mule deer and pronghorn, I have a .257 Roberts, a .30-06 and a .35 Whelen. But like one of the above posters I have never been attracted to any of the 6mm caliber rounds.
Posted By: North61 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/17/18
I have an old 600 Remington (with the rib). What a lovely light rifle. 18.5" barrel reduces speed a bit. I have some old 115 Round Nose Original bullets from Barnes that do a pretty good job on big game out to 250 yards or so.
Posted By: JPro Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/17/18
It's a 243 +P that is its best with hunting bullets and other bullets of a moderate nose length. I had a 6mmAI M70 for a while (bought it used) and shot 100gr bullets over 7828 to good effect before I moved to a 25-284.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/17/18
Yup, but all unrequited, as factory rifles fir that dandy little round have been few and far between.

Before the internet, we were limited to what we could find on dealer shelves, and while I can remember seeing oodles of .243s, 6mms were almost never around. I'm pretty old, but the battle for supremacy between them was pretty much over when I was still young. I was convinced that the 6mm was better, mostly from reading what OConnor wrote, and wouldn't settle for the inferior .243. I could have ordered a Ruger 77, but I refused to consider anything with an aluminum floorplate (the promised steel ones never appeared, at least not short action ones).

All this was silly, of course, as the .243, for practical purposes, is capable of doing anything the 6mm is, and is, according to some, more accurate to boot. A few years back, I finally bought my first one, an old Sako, and liked it a bunch. I'm now on my third, and with Reloader 26, it matches anything the 6 ever did, inferior case design and all. Now I've got a 6mm Creedmoor in the pipe, but it could just as easily been another .243 or a 6mm Remington, if available in that rifle and with that 7" twist.
I kept one around for years. Shot a lot of stuff with it. I'd love to have a little Kimber 84 Hunter chambered for 6mm. I'd not be hare lipped in the least to have another 6mm as my only whitetail rig for the hunting in my part of the country.
Love the 6MM. I learned how to shoot a centerfire rifle with a 788 Remington 6MM and I guess I will always have a soft spot for them. In fact, I will probably build me a new one in the not too distant future.
Good round. Always wanted one. Finally did it...build as follows.

Remington 700 Titanium long action trued by Mark Chanlyn who added his cut-rifled stainless fluted 8" twist throated for 105 gr Bergers. Great rifle maker.

Shoots lights out, minimal recoil, antelope killer.

About $2500 in it.

Was it worth it?

Nope, buy a 243.
Posted By: hanco Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/17/18
I’ve never seen one!
Posted By: mathman Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/17/18
Short action? There are better fitting cartridges.

Gotta have the last bit of velocity so long action? Build a 6mm-06 and be done with it.
Posted By: 338Rules Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/17/18
Originally Posted by Shag
Would greatly appreciate to hear/see your thoughts/experience with the 6mm rem.!

Thanks

Mo betta cartridge design than the.243 Win with a tad longer Neck. and capacity
The Remington .244 12" twist debacle, probably killed it's chances, and the rest is history.

OAL makes it a tight fit in the 2.8" std SA magazine with the longer bullets .

I'm always on the lookout for a suitable Intermediate Length action for conversion ( 3" mag Win SA? ULA M20 etc. ) .
Have dies gathering dust. I would like to go .243 to 6mm Improved, but still looking at .243 twist ??
Hopefully no bbl set-back required.

Even if it only makes a good Forming barrel, it would be fun cart for coyotes, and antelopes
Probably easier & cheaper to just play with the 6mm Creedmoor , Ha
Posted By: trplem Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/17/18
My neighbor of many years used one for deer hunting every season. It was an early '70s 700 IIRC, and he liked it well enough. For me to become interested in owning one, the right rifle at an insanely low price would have to be on offer. I've enough "ooooo....so cool!" chambered firearms to make chasing down brass damn near a full time job.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/17/18
It's a perfectly adequate round, but not as powder efficient as a .243. A fair bit more powder for a modest extra FPS.

[Linked Image]

I've killed a pile of antelope with one too, and a cow elk. All with the Speer 100 BTSP-No issues what so ever.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/17/18
I killed my biggest Mullie with mine, it my got to rifle.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/17/18
Originally Posted by T_Inman
It's a perfectly adequate round, but not as powder efficient as a .243. A fair bit more powder for a modest extra FPS.

[Linked Image]

I've killed a pile of antelope with one too, and a cow elk. All with the Speer 100 BTSP-No issues what so ever.

Damn that's a nice pic.
Posted By: Judman Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/17/18
It’s all I’ve used the last few years, love the chambering, well the improved version anyhow. Got a nilla 6 77 ruger, this is my 660 improved
[Linked Image]
My brother has run a plain jane Remington 788 for decades. Scary accurate with moderate reloads. Several kills out past 300 yards. The 788 is known as an accurate gun and this one lives up to that reputation.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
I've had a couple Remington 788's, an Enfield and a Mauser barreled in 6MM. Like the cartridge much better than the 243. Not any more though moved on.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
It is a superior cartridge to the .243 Win. No?
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
Depends on your definition of "superior".

It is generally faster than a .243 Win, but not by much and what little speed advantage it has comes from more powder burned and that speed advantage tapers off quickly at a couple hundred yards, depending on which bullet is used.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
Not me, but my old retired Vet Uncles have been shooting deer and pigs with them for more than 45 years that I know of, they're in their early to late 70's now, plane old store bought 100 gr Remington core-loks have kept their freezers full decade after decade, still today, if you hear one of them shoot, go on over, there'll be a deer to drag out. smile
Posted By: Dale K Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
I had one (Ruger 77) back in the early 80's, sold it and bought it back about 5 years ago. Still kills groundhogs very well. I need to do something with the crappy replacement stock it now wears to make me like it better in the deer woods but it worked back when, so it will work again.

Dale
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
Have had several...Recently built a Mod 7 with a Brux one in 7 twist and love it as much as the 700 I shot deer and coyotes with for 30 years...Stupid accurate.
Posted By: 338Rules Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
Originally Posted by ihookem
It is a superior cartridge to the .243 Win. No?

Yes, Not as popular as the 243 Win, but longer Neck and greater capacity, far outweigh the reduced availability in this Loonies mind.

6mm CM is the coming thing though. shorter than both 243 and 6mm; but the CM is wider at the shoulder .462", .454" and .429" respectively
fits better in SA with VLDs and the like plus has a tight twist out of the gate.

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd6remington.jpg

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd243winchester.jpg
Posted By: jwall Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18

Mornin Tin man:

I ask you to take this in the spirit I intend. NOT to argue just to pass on what I came to find out per 243/6mm R.

WAY back there a Gun Writer - either Wooters OR JRS - printed that there was ONLY 1 grain difference in the WORKING pressures between the 2 rounds. At the time I had not owned a 6mm R. Since then I've owned 2-3 and HAVE 1 today.

Guess What ? When using the Same Powders and Same Bullets in both cartridges - there is ONLY 1 grain of additional powder in the 6mm R
when you reach optimum WORKING pressures, and the velocities of both rounds will be close --depending on individual barrels.

I didn't believe it until I proved to myself.

Very Nice buck.

Jerry
Posted By: Dogger Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
I like it a lot.

About ten years ago I was visiting the LGS and there was a nice never fired 6mm walnut M77 on the consignment wall... seller asking $450. I offered $400 (confident he would not take it) and the seller took it (come to find out he inherited it, was not a rifleman, and just wanted $$$). Come to find out it is an early 90's M77 with the pushfeed bolt that looks like a CRF. I topped it with a VX1 2x7-33 and like the setup a lot. it is not light (8lb 2oz as I recall) but a pussycat to shoot. Factory ammo used has included Winchester PP, Remington CL, Federal 80 and 100 softpoints and Federal 100 NP. All shot about an inch to an inch and a quarter at 100 yards shooting off an impromptu rest. I like the cartridge because I like being a contrarian (I do not have a 243). I have not scored on any game animals with it but am confident the 100 NP will more than do the job if I do mine. As I get older, I realize this may be the rifle that takes me into my 80s if I make it that far.

as others have pointed out, the 243 and 6 Creed will keep stealing the show, but if you have a nice 6mm, who cares?
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
Took my first deer with a 788. Have had a special fondness for it since. Mule Deer writes that it doesn't stretch brass quite like the 243 does. I'm having a fast twist (1-7 1/2") barrel made for a Blaser R8 that should prove it's worth quite well. A cursory glance of ballistics when compared to the 6mm Creedmoor doesn't show a lot of difference when using the long, heavies.
I will very likely use it on my NM pronghorn next August and will also see how it does shooting some long range steel.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
My son shoots a 6mm Rem. Highwall and loves it. Factory 100 Federal SP's does a number on deer and hogs. It's accurate, too.
Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
I have a Rem 7400, Ruger M77, Rem 600 and a Ruger #1. I would say yes. I have a love for the 6mm. Have killed many deer, antelope, coyotes and pigs. Mostly with 100 gr Coreloks.
My dad and his best friend got a matched pair of 6mm's around or slightly before 1960. They used them for all game hunting from deer, antelope, and elk to sheep and goat. After some years, my dad moved on to other cartridges, including the 7mm RM, and eventually decided that a 257 Roberts was plenty for his hunting needs. His pal stuck with the 6mm, and as his 4 sons came of age, they also got 6mm's for all of their med/big game hunting. My dad and his buddy handloaded much or all of that time, and eventually 100 gr Partitions became the bullet of choice for the 6's.

My dad passed away two years ago, but his friend still goes after deer, elk, and antelope, still gets out with his sons, and they still use 6mm's. It has always been "enough gun" for that group, who are hunters first and shooters second. I recall my dad was both a hunter and shooter. He always tried to get within 100yds, particularly on elk, but he could put a bullet into "the pocket" several times that distance. I've never seen a consistently better shot on animals, though my older brother comes close.
Posted By: mngunhead Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
I've got a friend that has one. He only has one rifle and he has complete faith in it, as it has dispatched many whitetails over the years. He just uses whatever factory ammo he can scrounge up. Not the way I roll, but to each his own.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
Originally Posted by jwall

Mornin Tin man:

I ask you to take this in the spirit I intend. NOT to argue just to pass on what I came to find out per 243/6mm R.

WAY back there a Gun Writer - either Wooters OR JRS - printed that there was ONLY 1 grain difference in the WORKING pressures between the 2 rounds. At the time I had not owned a 6mm R. Since then I've owned 2-3 and HAVE 1 today.

Guess What ? When using the Same Powders and Same Bullets in both cartridges - there is ONLY 1 grain of additional powder in the 6mm R
when you reach optimum WORKING pressures, and the velocities of both rounds will be close --depending on individual barrels.

Very Nice buck.

Jerry

Could very well be. I honestly know very little about working pressures and such, and my experiences could certainly be skewed by my small sample sizes of loading for (1) 6mm and (2) .243s. My 6mm was a tang safety Ruger, which IME can take pressures well above what most books call "max". The .243s were a R700 and a Win 70, both of which I have found pressure signs closer to book max loads. Maybe the strength of the Ruger's action is why I have it in my mind that the 6mm can take a fair bit more powder than the .243...

Thanks for the info.
Several guys and relatives in my home town in East Tex used the Mod 742 in 6mm , only one was scoped, and it was the "Ne Plus Ultra". The were a few 788s, one early Remington bolt .244, and it seems to me that almost all used factory 100 Corlokts. My BIL and his 788 enjoyed his handloader friend and the Speer 90gr was used. In the Mod 742 they worked like a charm, didn't jam like the 30-06 did a lot and it was flat enough that the iron sights ( which we were all taught by our elders that you "cannot" use a scope in those thick woods! smile ) I even have a Pastor friend ( originally from Louisiana) who moved to Colorado and used his own Mod 742/6mm on elk! I had a tricked out heavy varminter made up one time about 15yrs ago in 6mm. I only shot the 65 Vmax. It would turn a prairie dog into a grease smear! Since I never shot it past 400yds, I sold it before I burnt the throat up, and just used a CZ 527 in .204 after that. But its a good one.

Mornin Tin man:

Very Nice buck.

Jerry

Could very well be. I honestly know very little about working pressures and such, and my experiences could certainly be skewed by my small sample sizes of loading for (1) 6mm and (2) .243s. My 6mm was a tang safety Ruger, which IME can take pressures well above what most books call "max". The .243s were a R700 and a Win 70, both of which I have found pressure signs closer to book max loads. Maybe the strength of the Ruger's action is why I have it in my mind that the 6mm can take a fair bit more powder than the .243...

Thanks for the info.

The data I've seen lists about 2 grains difference for optimum powders in both, with those 2 grains producing about 100fps higher speed for the 6. I think it depends on the brass used, as well as which powder you pick. In Wooters's day, what powders did they use in the 243 and 6mm's? 4350? 4831? 760? Our more modern powders do better, which, from the data I've seen, likely explains the 100% discrepancy in working pressure powder differences then and now.
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
The 6mm Rem. is one of our favorites for deer hunting. (All taken with 90 gr. Accubond bullets using H380 in both rifles. If we aren't carrying 6mm Rem. rifles then it's most likely going to be the 7mm-08 as our second choice.)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Shag Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
Your a blessed man and so are those kids! Great pics! Damn good bucks!
Posted By: Judman Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
Originally Posted by Proud_Dad
The 6mm Rem. is one of our favorites for deer hunting. (All taken with 90 gr. Accubond bullets using H380 in both rifles. If we aren't carrying 6mm Rem. rifles then it's most likely going to be the 7mm-08 as our second choice.)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yes very badazz!! Grats
Posted By: Judman Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18

Just buy that no 1 shag!! Hellava deer rifle
Posted By: jwall Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

The data I've seen lists about 2 grains difference for optimum powders in both, with those 2 grains producing about 100fps higher speed for the 6. I think it depends on the brass used, as well as which powder you pick. In Wooters's day, what powders did they use in the 243 and 6mm's? 4350? 4831? 760? Our more modern powders do better, which, from the data I've seen, likely explains the 100% discrepancy in working pressure powder differences then and now.

I think you know that published data is just that 'published'.

It has been so many years and I no longer have any of those mags so I can't check it out anymore. I certainly DON'T remember which powder or powders were used.? ?

Since my first answer this AM, I am pretty sure it was JRS that did the testing. He may not have been the only one.

I have and had used the 243 much more than the 6 mm UNTIL I got my Model Six 6mm Rem. Also I MOSTLY used 100 gr bullets and I used mostly 4350 and H 4831 (Old Production). I didn't have ANY pressure testing equipment BUT I had my Oehler 33.

Working up load in the [/b]"traditional" [b] way, I found the 6mm R would take 1 MORE grain of the same powder using the same bullet and the velocities were A LITTLE higher---but not enough to make any diff.

*** Yes, today we have MORE new powders so that alone could make a real difference.
and that 100% difference is 1 grain of powder. grin ->-> 1 grain vs 2 grains.

MY point is there is NOT ENUFF difference in the performance of the 243 and 6mm Rem to make ANY noticeable difference hunting.

**** The 6mm Rem case is better because of design in reducing Throat erosion.

Jerry
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/18/18

Thanks, Shag. Lucky to have a couple of good places to hunt and blessed with a wife and kids that enjoy hunting with me. One of our favorite places to hunt is back in a pasture overlooking a thick draw, so it works well to set the rifles up on bipods and shoot from the prone position. The light recoil of the 6mm Rem. (especially in varmint rifles) allows the kids to get in plenty of practice at the range to have confidence when they get their chance to put meat in the freezer. My wife did her part putting meat on the table with the 6mm Rem. this year, too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Autofive Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/19/18
Three deer have gone down to my son's ruger 77 tanger, two with 95 grain partitions and one with a Hornady 100 grain flat base. No tracking was needed!

It has been so many years and I no longer have any of those mags so I can't check it out anymore. I certainly DON'T remember which powder or powders were used.? ?

Since my first answer this AM, I am pretty sure it was JRS that did the testing. He may not have been the only one.

I have and had used the 243 much more than the 6 mm UNTIL I got my Model Six 6mm Rem. Also I MOSTLY used 100 gr bullets and I used mostly 4350 and H 4831 (Old Production). I didn't have ANY pressure testing equipment BUT I had my Oehler 33.

Working up load in the [/b]"traditional" [b] way, I found the 6mm R would take 1 MORE grain of the same powder using the same bullet and the velocities were A LITTLE higher---but not enough to make any diff.

*** Yes, today we have MORE new powders so that alone could make a real difference.

MY point is there is NOT ENUFF difference in the performance of the 243 and 6mm Rem to make ANY noticeable difference hunting.

Jerry

I agree with your assertions, Jerry. In factory bbls, with factory twists, and factory spec magazines, etc, you're not going to find enough difference between them to amount to a dead vs wounded animal, or a hit vs missed animal, or a barrel shot out vs one still shooting in top form when hunting with them.
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/19/18
Originally Posted by Autofive
Three deer have gone down to my son's ruger 77 tanger, two with 95 grain partitions and one with a Hornady 100 grain flat base. No tracking was needed!

We haven't tried the Hornady bullets in 6mm, but have used and would agree the 95 gr. partitions are great bullets for deer, too. Find what the rifle likes and take those 6mm's hunting!

Jerry

I agree with your assertions, Jerry. In factory bbls, with factory twists, and factory spec magazines, etc, you're not going to find enough difference between them to amount to a dead vs wounded animal, or a hit vs missed animal, or a barrel shot out vs one still shooting in top form when hunting with them.

+1 - Deer will never know the difference between the two. I will be the first to admit I have limited experience with the .243 Win. for deer hunting. Our son shot his first deer several years ago using a Ruger 77 .243 youth rifle shooting reduced-recoil loads using the 90 gr. Accubond and 25.5 gr. of SR4759. Not a load for 150+ yards, but the buck he shot with it (85 yards) went less than 10 yards and was down. I have some full-power loads put together using H380 that shoot well in that rifle, but haven't hunted with them yet. .Brass is easier to find for the .243 Win., but beyond that I don't think there's enough difference to give one a big advantage over the other.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/19/18
A wonderful white tail round. I stepped up to a 240 Weatherby though for mule deer.
Posted By: jwall Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/19/18
First off - Congrats to ALL !

Boy is that one FAT and HEALTHY in this pic.
Tell her I'm jealous. I think that buck was suicidal. whistle grin

[Linked Image]

Jerry
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/19/18
HuntnShoot,

The difference in loading data/velocity for the .243 Winchester and 6mm Remington is mostly due to the differences in the maximum SAAMI pressure. The .243's is 60,000 PSI, the 6mm's 65,000.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
HuntnShoot,

The difference in loading data/velocity for the .243 Winchester and 6mm Remington is mostly due to the differences in the maximum SAAMI pressure. The .243's is 60,000 PSI, the 6mm's 65,000.

Thanks, John.

[Linked Image]

Jerry

Will do, Jerry. Yes, it was a very healthy buck. I still give Grace a hard time about this one as less than 30 seconds before she shot this buck she had shot a doe, then this nice buck ran out of the trees and stopped quartering away at 245 yards...did she offer to move out from behind the rifle/bipod to give me the shot?? Glad she didn't as I wouldn't have gotten to see that smile! smile
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/19/18
My daughter got a Black Bear with her 6mm Rem this past Fall. I am loading 80gr TTSX's over 47.5 grs IMR4350 @ 3375 fps. Rifle is a mid 60's Rem 700 BDL

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Proud_Dad

Jerry

Will do, Jerry..... then this nice [/b]buck ran out of the trees and stopped quartering away at 245 yards[b]...

YEP - suicidal laugh laugh
Sako - Tell her I said, "VERY NICE", I haven't killed a bear YET.

Jerry
Love all the awesome pictures on this thread!!

A few years ago I took a bunch of mauser actions to a friend/gunsmith. in a stroke of good fortune he had a takeoff 6mm barrel from a new Remington 700 from another customer project. he re-threaded it and put it on a turk 1903 action that I had- turned out to be a very accurate shooter and very comfortable ' first-timer' rifle for my nephews
I have two. A Ruger No. 1B and a Win. 70 Fwt. I load old school for the No. 1 (105g Speer SP) and the early Barnes 90g XFB for the 70. I'm well stocked for both. Both work well on deer, pigs and coyotes.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/19/18
HuntnShoot,

The .243 got a rep for pressure excursions and the 6mm did not. Not sure if it has anything to do with case configuration or not but it may. Could also be due to throat erosion or variation in the .243 chamber and leade and the more limited testing of the 6mm. I also suspect that the early non canister lots of 7828 was a factor as this was used in the .243 and 7 RM and they both exhibited the pressure excursions and had the SAAMI pressure reduced as a result. Early 7828 was similar to R22 and it also got and deserved a rep for lot to lot variation early on, maybe just a coincidence.

Either way it is difficult for me to jump on the .243 AI band wagon when you have the 6mm with almost identical capacity and in my opinion a better case design. Besides I am a Warren Page fan, but who knows if Huntington or Page or probably a dozen others actually were the first to neck down the 08 and x57mm cases? In either case I will have a hard time shooting as many deer with any other caliber than I have shot with the 6mm's.
Posted By: Shag Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/19/18
Whicked! TTSX looks great! Congrats to your kid!
Posted By: mooshoo Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/19/18
I've got the love just need to find a older Remington 700
Posted By: mathman Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/19/18
Originally Posted by Tejano
HuntnShoot,

The .243 got a rep for pressure excursions and the 6mm did not. Not sure if it has anything to do with case configuration or not but it may. Could also be due to throat erosion or variation in the .243 chamber and leade and the more limited testing of the 6mm. I also suspect that the early non canister lots of 7828 was a factor as this was used in the .243 and 7 RM and they both exhibited the pressure excursions and had the SAAMI pressure reduced as a result. Early 7828 was similar to R22 and it also got and deserved a rep for lot to lot variation early on, maybe just a coincidence.

Either way it is difficult for me to jump on the .243 AI band wagon when you have the 6mm with almost identical capacity and in my opinion a better case design. Besides I am a Warren Page fan, but who knows if Huntington or Page or probably a dozen others actually were the first to neck down the 08 and x57mm cases? In either case I will have a hard time shooting as many deer with any other caliber than I have shot with the 6mm's.

The better case design of the 6mm re throat erosion and/or more consistent pressure is relative to the stock 243, not the AI.
I am kind of a fan. My 700 BDL was my dads before I bought it from him 10 years ago. He bought it from a bud of his in the early 80s. It wore a 2-7x 28mm Leupold until a couple of years ago when I swapped it out for a 2.5-10x Bushnell which seemed to bulk the rifle up too much so it now wears a 2-7x 33mm Leupold, seems about perfect to me.

This particular rifle has killed between 50-75 deer I am guessing, maybe more. Most of those kills were with a Sierra 85 grain spitzer, pass throughs and DRT are the norm. I did load some 95 grain Partitions this fall, killed a buck at maybe 20 yards, DRT.

I did trade for some 90 grain Accubonds a while back, haven't worked up a load yet. Wouldn't mind trying an 80 grain TTSX as well.

Right now it is my go to rifle for whitetails.

Coyote killing machine with those 85 grain Sierra spitzers and a 70 grain tipped Varmageddon.
A few kills. Even though this is the deer hunting forum I have more coyote pics than deer killed with my 6.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Shag Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/20/18
woof! Only good yote is a dead yote!
I like the live ones, then I can make them dead!!
Posted By: jwall Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/20/18
10 g

We have coyotes here BUT since 2012, I have ONLY seen 1.

Good Pix

Jerry
Posted By: JustinL1 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/20/18
The 6mm Remington is my dad’s ground hog rifle- he’s never tried it for deer, but I might “borrow” it this fall!

When loading for the 6mm are a lot of the higher end loads compressed? I just loaded some 90-grain Ballistic Tips and had to seat them fairly deep to fit into the short action magazine, I loaded a ladder test with RE19 and another with H4831 (I emailed Hodgdon and they told me to use the data for 95-grain Partition). I just know I was crunching powder when I seated the bullets with both powders!
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/20/18
JustinL1 - The loads we are shooting are not compressed loads. I work to find the best accuracy I can in all of our rifles, but don't try to push any of them to max velocities. I am loading 38.5 gr. of H380 in the Ruger 77V and 40.0 gr. of H380 in the Remington 700V. Both will shoot inside an inch for three shot groups if we do our part.

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/6mm-remington/

10gaugemag - Nice work on the coyotes!
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/20/18
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
My daughter got a Black Bear with her 6mm Rem this past Fall. I am loading 80gr TTSX's over 47.5 grs IMR4350 @ 3375 fps. Rifle is a mid 60's Rem 700 BDL

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice bear! Looks like a happy young lady in that picture!
P D -

I don't think the bear looks HAPPY ! ! GRIN

Jerry
Originally Posted by JustinL1
The 6mm Remington is my dad’s ground hog rifle- he’s never tried it for deer, but I might “borrow” it this fall!

When loading for the 6mm are a lot of the higher end loads compressed? I just loaded some 90-grain Ballistic Tips and had to seat them fairly deep to fit into the short action magazine, I loaded a ladder test with RE19 and another with H4831 (I emailed Hodgdon and they told me to use the data for 95-grain Partition). I just know I was crunching powder when I seated the bullets with both powders!

Justin

From personal experience I have loaded compressed loads MORE Xs than I can count. It don't hurt nuttin.

Also I have killed plenty deer with a 243 and 6mm R -- they work.
Good Luck

Jerry
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/20/18
Thanks for the compliments guys. A full charge of IMR4350 is not a compressed load even with the longish TTSX.
Last year's buck. 95 partition over 44 grains of IMR-4350. DRT.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 02/21/18
In about 1978 my research indicated that my ideal combo rifle for coyotes to deer would be a custom 6mm with long action to seat the bullet out far enough to take advantage of powder capacity... and I didn't have the coin to buy one in those days.

But a fellow in a hurry for cash sold me cheap a custom Mauser 98 with 26 inch heavy Douglas barrel, Dayton-Traister (?) trigger in a gorgeous stock made by Roberts (?) Robertson (?). It shot 75 grain Hornady hollow points into consistent 5 shot groups of 5/8 inch, and when I worked up a deer load with 95 grain Nosler Partitions, it put five rounds in so tight a group that I stopped after 3 to walk down and see if the hole had changed shape as hinted in the spotting scope or if I was missing the entire target. It is the most accurate rifle I've owned or fired.

This 6mm has killed a bunch of coyotes, a bunch of deer including my biggest, a 180 class mule deer at 40 feet, one 6x6 elk when it was the rifle in hand, several bears and my kids and grandkids have killed some deer with it since it now resides with them. Loaned to a friend who flew up to my place for a bear hunt, it made the most instantly spectacular kill on any animal that I've seen. The bear was feeding away from us in a river bottom below us from our position on a high cut bank. The 95 Nosler Partition hit the bear well back in the withers, entered inside the spinal column at the precise angle to travel down the spinal cord into the brain where it stopped with no exit. The bear dropped with an audible thud.

It is a beautiful rifle that now shows lots of use, and has been my most enjoyable rifle to shoot and to load for, partly because it was the first firearm luxury I ever owned that was not the minimal for my need, function and cost.
Having had a 6mm rem when he was younger, my dad was feeling nostalgic and had an 1-8" 6mm built on a rem SA at the same time I was building my first 243AI, also on rem SA.... and it was ok with lighter bullets but when it he tried to load good, high bc, bullets he ran in to problems in the mag box. My 243AI would run the 105vld at the same speeds his 6mm would.......but mine wasn't a single shot. lol. Personally I feel that the 243AI is a better mousetrap and does everything the 6mm does without any magbox issues. I wouldn't take a 6mm rem if it was given to me. Whom I kidding, I would probably take it and just have it rechambered to 6-284. laugh
I built a 6mm using a 22" ER Shaw barrel on a VZ-24 action several years back for antelope and mule deer. With 44 grains of RL22 and a 95 grain Ballistic-tip it makes quite the combo for those particular critters out to 300 yards. In the range of 65-80 grain bullets, 40 grains of IMR 4064 is my favorite load. Currently I'm running 43 grains of IMR 7383 (surplus) with 100 grain SBT for a flat shooting and accurate hunting/practice 600-700 yard loading. I have one 6mm, two 243s, and now a 6mm CM and each serves their designed purpose for me at least. In my estimation there is very little difference between the three, all have excellent long-range capability and are more than adequate for light-medium game (within reasonable ranges) and varmints. Although I prefer 6.5 caliber and larger for Elk, I wouldn't hesitate to use a 6mm to fill a cow tag if that was what I had on hand.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/06/18
Originally Posted by BradArnett
Having had a 6mm rem when he was younger, my dad was feeling nostalgic and had an 1-8" 6mm built on a rem SA at the same time I was building my first 243AI, also on rem SA.... and it was ok with lighter bullets but when it he tried to load good, high bc, bullets he ran in to problems in the mag box. My 243AI would run the 105vld at the same speeds his 6mm would.......but mine wasn't a single shot. lol. Personally I feel that the 243AI is a better mousetrap and does everything the 6mm does without any magbox issues. I wouldn't take a 6mm rem if it was given to me. Whom I kidding, I would probably take it and just have it rechambered to 6-284. laugh

This only applies if you limit yourself to M700 actions. The 6mm fits great in a Mauser.

The 2.8" magbox of the Rem is so limiting I don't understand why they are so popular?

Even a Savage has a 3.0" mag box, that is what I used to build my 260, back when the Creedmoor was just building popularity.

I guess the M700 is good for 22/250 or 243, and maybe a 6.5 Creed?
Posted By: vapodog Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/06/18
This only applies if you limit yourself to M700 actions. The 6mm fits great in a Mauser.

Yup....my 6mm Rem is built on a VZ-24....it's truly a spectacular firearm. It shoots 55 grain BTs at close to 4,000 FPS and doubles as a deer rifle with 100 grain soft points.

When it comes to versatility.....this rig has it in spades.
We have two Remington 600 rifles in 6mm Remington. This combo is by far one of my favorites. l like to see others still using the 6mm Remington too.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/06/18
I recently got a line on a Rem Model 760 Gamemaster in 6mm. I'm picking it up this weekend.

Anybody have one of these? Anything to watch out for?
Posted By: tzone Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/06/18
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Anything to watch out for?

Yep. Watch out for coyotes.
Watch out for your safe to have room for more. The damn things are addicting.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/06/18
Originally Posted by tzone
Watch out for your safe to have room for more. The damn things are addicting.

haha
I recently got a line on a Rem Model 760 Gamemaster in 6mm. I'm picking it up this weekend.

Rooster...do you mind letting me know how much you had to give for it? You can PM me if you don't mind telling me. Reason is, a local pawn shop has a very nice one in 6mm. I had seen on another site where a gentleman from another state was looking for one. The pawn shop was asking for 500 for the rifle/scope (middle of the road quality if I remember correctly). I let the guy know about it. He had actually been through the local town and had seen the rifle but in his opinion, and mine as well, 500 was too much for it. This gentleman owns a business with a FFL and he passes through this town on business so him buying it will not be difficult. I let him know last week that the shop had finally come down on the rifle to 380. He said he would check it out when he comes back through. So I was just curious is this new price is close to being about right? Thanks-Eddie
I would buy all of em I saw for 380
Posted By: vapodog Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/07/18

The only other one I know was owned by my uncle....it was stamped .244 Remington....probably owned by one of his sons now. $380 wouldn't touch this one.
Posted By: hanco Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/07/18
I like pics of young hunters!
Posted By: jwall Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/07/18
Originally Posted by vapodog

The only other one I know was owned by my uncle....it was stamped .244 Remington....probably owned by one of his sons now. $380 wouldn't touch this one.

I have a friend who had a 760 in 6mm Rem when I lived in La. We both have moved and haven't seen him in @ 3yrs. I don't know if he still has it or not.

I have a Rem Model Six in 6mm Rem. It's not for sale and $700.00 would not touch it IF it were for sale. ( I like it )

Jerry
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/07/18
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter

Rooster...do you mind letting me know how much you had to give for it? You can PM me if you don't mind telling me. Reason is, a local pawn shop has a very nice one in 6mm. I had seen on another site where a gentleman from another state was looking for one. The pawn shop was asking for 500 for the rifle/scope (middle of the road quality if I remember correctly). I let the guy know about it. He had actually been through the local town and had seen the rifle but in his opinion, and mine as well, 500 was too much for it. This gentleman owns a business with a FFL and he passes through this town on business so him buying it will not be difficult. I let him know last week that the shop had finally come down on the rifle to 380. He said he would check it out when he comes back through. So I was just curious is this new price is close to being about right? Thanks-Eddie

Real close. I paid $375.00
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/07/18

Real close. I paid $375.00

Very nice
[quote=Rooster7]I recently got a line on a Rem Model 760 Gamemaster in 6mm. I'm picking it up this weekend.

Thanks Rooster! I really appreciate it.
No Problem Ruger!
Right now it's wearing a big overgrown 6-24 x 42 AO Barska scope that it came with. I'll probably pick up a 3-9x40 Redfield Revolution for it.
Thanks Scott
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/07/18
Thanks Scott

Shoot up a pic if/when you can.

I've seen a grand total of ONE 760/7600 in the 6 years I've lived here. It was a 2nd year 760, not drilled/tapped in 30/06.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Thanks Scott

I've seen a grand total of ONE 760/7600 in the 6 years I've lived here. It was a 2nd year 760, not drilled/tapped in 30/06.

The only pic I have right now. Right after I brought it home. This belonged to a childhood friends Dad who, unfortunately, had his life cut short by an inattentive driver last summer.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 1minute Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/07/18
Certainly an adequate deer round.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/08/18
A bud has a Remington 760 and he's shot a boatload of Wyoming mule deer and Pa. whitetails, 100 grain Nosler Partitions and nothing over 250 yards.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/08/18
I want to shoot an antelope with this baby. Bad. smile
Posted By: Dale K Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/08/18
Never mind forgot that I had already posted in this thread. Gotta love getting old grin

Dale

Originally Posted by Dale K
Never mind forgot that I had already posted in this thread. Gotta love getting old grin

Dale

You can post again Dale!

There is new content and you only live once! haha
Posted By: Jericho Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/08/18
I see Remington 742s in 6MM every now and then, but havent seen a bolt action in a very long time. To me the 742/6MM combo just doesnt do it for me.
Thanks Scott

The only pic I have right now. Right after I brought it home. This belonged to a childhood friends Dad who, unfortunately, had his life cut short by an inattentive driver last summer.

[Linked Image]

I was actually surprised. For a China scope, this thing is clear as a bell.
Originally Posted by Jericho
I see Remington 742s in 6MM every now and then, but havent seen a bolt action in a very long time. To me the 742/6MM combo just doesnt do it for me.

My 1st deer rifle to call my own was a 742 in a 30/06. I sold it a few years later to get my 1st bolt action. I can assure you, NO 742 combo does it for me...lol. I will definitely live without them. A 760, that's a different ballgame. I have 1 and if another came along in the right caliber I would be all over it.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/08/18
That's a good looking 760 you just got.
Thanks. The big ass scope looks kind of dumb on it IMO. That's gonna need to change I think. lol
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/08/18
Or some see-thru rings............

The 2-7x is a good fit, but I think a 6x36 Leupold would be about perfect for that 6mm.

[Linked Image]
I'll look into the 6x36. Thanks!
Or some see-thru rings............

The 2-7x is a good fit, but I think a 6x36 Leupold would be about perfect for that 6mm.

[Linked Image]

That's a beauty! Alum butt plate and all! Veddy nice!
If you want a variable look a the Leupold 2.5-8x36. Great little scopes.
Posted By: spud06 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/09/18
My first gun at the age of 16 was a LH 788, back in 1973. I had to pay an extra $5 for the LH model. $104.95. I started reloading immediately under the guidance of a great mentor. All I ever loaded was 85gr Sierra BTHPs using 39.5 gr of H380. Shot several deer and coyotes and a good bunch of prairie dogs. Probably no more that 400 rounds fired. I still have it. After thinking I need more firepower for those elusive coyotes, I bought a 742 in 6MM a few years later. Shortly after that, I went to the Army and I haven't shot either gun since the mid 80s. The 742 is almost mint. I doubt I put 50 rounds down the tube. I think I'll get the 788 out and clean her up and chrono those loads and see what I can do now with some better bullets, scope, and reloading techniques. It was always a 1 MOA shooter back in the day.
Posted By: spud06 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/09/18
I remember a day calling coyotes in North Dakota after a 3 day blizzard. I climbed the only tree in the area to about 10 feet, faced down wing and did my initial 2 minutes of screaming jack rabbit. When I finished, I could hear the pounding of foot prints across the snow. I looked behind me to see this coyote doing full tilt right at me from upwind! I was sitting in the crotch of the small tree with my barrel off to the right. I could see he was heading to the left side, so I had to get the gun turned round to shoot it right-handed. He passed the tree on the left right below me when he picked up my scent and did about a 9 G turn to the left. I opened up with the 742...5 rounds and not a hit. The snow was flying from the bullets and the coyote never got a scratch. I was pretty bummed because I was getting $50 in the round back then. It was so funny to see how the coyote came in so fast, then made that turn right below me. Coyotes look big when their coat is strong, but the 4 inches of fur on the top and bottom don't count when hit. Great memory.
Posted By: Porsche73 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/10/18
For some strange reason I have an affinity for the less popular calibers. I have had 3 6mm Remingtons and currently have a Remington 700 CDL. To me t and the 257 Roberts are the ideal calibers for Texas hunting. The 6mm for everything up to and including deer and the Roberts for larger exotics. Both are a hoot to shoot. Porsche73
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/10/18
Model Six

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jwall Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/10/18
Gun Nut

Those M Sixes are sweet. I've killed coyotes and deer with my 6mm in years past, but don't have any pix of the M Six by itself.

Jerry
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/10/18
Gun Nut

Those M Sixes are sweet. I've killed coyotes and deer with my 6mm in years past, but don't have any pix of the M Six by itself.

Jerry

Yeah, I haven't taken it into the woods in years, but when I pulled it out of the safe to take the pictures I remembered how much I like it. Gonna have to give it some woods time this season.
Posted By: Dale K Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/11/18
Yeah but it was the same story. I'm getting old but I ain't that old!

Dale
My first centerfire rifle was a Remington 244. Still have it and it's still a tack driver. Have no idea how many coyotes and prairie dogs I have killed with it but that is what it was designed to do
Posted By: satx78247 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/11/18
Remington6mm,

I too have a .244REM (in my case the Model 760 "corncob" version) which differs from the 6mm Remington ONLY in rate of twist. - I would be afraid to guess how many deer, coyotes, feral pigs & other smaller game that it's taken successfully since I bought it in 1967 at a Hot Springs AR pawn shop for 60 bucks. ---- I bought it because it had a REALLY "purty" stock & it was CHEAP.
(I later mounted an old 4X Redfield scope & rings, that were laying about the house, on the little pump-rifle.)

It's been "loaned out for deer season" to more GIs (and visitors to our farm in northeast Texas, too) than I can remember, as SA rifles are unlawful in PA.
(I was once "permanent party" at Ft Indiantown Gap.)
Over the last 5 decades, I'd guess that at least 3 dozen people have tried to buy it from me.
'(Mostly because they collected their first deer with it.)

Fwiw, the little 90 grain PSP bullet is A KILLER at just above 3100FPS, out to well beyond 300M. = While it is NOT the best "all around" rifle (IS there an all-around rifle for all big game?),. it's perfectly adequate for ANY game animal that is "about whitetail size". or smaller.

Despite the fact that I usually reach for my "pet" Model 760 in .300SAV, the little .244 is staying put.

just my OPINION, tex
Mr. Tex...are you calling the "corncob" version of the 760 the model from the 60's that had the vertical ribs in the forearm? I've always wondered what they would have been called. If that is the name for them, that is the model I have that was my daddy's, in 30/06 of course...lol. To him, there was no other choice.
Ruger77Shooter,

YEP. - The Remington 760 with vertical ribs on the forearm is frequently called the "corncob" version. Similarly there is the version with diamond checkered shapes on the forearm is called "the 5-diamond" version and the "impressed checkering" version is called "the basket-weave" or "box" version..

All of those are "informal nicknames" that many 760 collectors call the different designs.

yours, tex.
Thank you, Sir!
Posted By: Tejano Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/11/18
I wanted one as my first non surplus non hand me down rifle when I was about ten years old. I was a fan of Warren Page's and his pooper series. My dad got me a 243 instead as no lefty 6mms were to be found. The 788 wasn't available not sure of the first year of production for the lefty? I do think it is a better design and should give slightly better barrel life. For the longest time I also wanted a 257 AI but due to better bullet selections I ended up with a 6AI. I think I will like this one a lot. Tempted to use it on turkey just to break it in sooner. The only thing it will do better than a 243 is to sling 107 grain and heavier bullets well and this by virtue of the fast twist not the case, but it will sling them a little faster.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/11/18
Speaking of twist. What is the the twist rate of the 760 6mm?

Never mind. Google IS my friend. smile
Ruger77Shooter,

WELCOME, Sir.

yours, tex
Posted By: efw Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/13/18
I have found this cartridge to be PERFECT for necking up to 25 cal and thus “improving” it aka 6mm Imp = 257 Rob whistle
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Any love for the 6mm rem - 04/14/18
I like the 6mm Remington. I just took possession of a custom barrel for my Blaser R8. 1-7.5" twist, threaded. Should be a lot of fun with the long, heavies.
© 24hourcampfire