Home
Posted By: UPhiker 243 for deer - 06/03/18
I just had my shoulder replaced and had to go with a lighter recoiling gun. I bought a Remington Model 7 in 243 with the 18.5" barrel and laminated stock. What load would be best for Michigan 150lb whitetails under 200 yards?
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 243 for deer - 06/03/18
We kill a lot of whitetails that weigh over 150# every year with a plain Fed Orange box 100 Gr. SGK there are many factory loads that will work. if you reload there's a lot more options, 243 will kill way above it's weight class. Rio7
Posted By: southtexas Re: 243 for deer - 06/03/18
If you’re speaking of reloads, I’d start with 95gr BTips at about 3000
Posted By: Tom264 Re: 243 for deer - 06/03/18
80 grain Barnes ttsx
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 243 for deer - 06/03/18

I'm a fan of the 80gr Barnes TTSX. I've used the 95 Nosler BT and it works great but for me the top performer is the Barnes.
Posted By: JSH Re: 243 for deer - 06/03/18
Consider me another 95 Ballistic Tip fan. Generally get good expansion and they dig way out of proportion to their size. Mine have been used on antelope
rather than deer but no reason they wouldn't do the same thing.
Posted By: basdjs Re: 243 for deer - 06/03/18
All the suggestions above are good. If your shoulder is real sensitive, I'd replace the recoil pad with a Sims LimbSaver and try the Hornady Custom Lites if your shots are inside 200 yds.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: 243 for deer - 06/03/18
Another fan of the Nosler 95 grain Ballistic tip.
Posted By: SKane Re: 243 for deer - 06/03/18
Under 200, I prefer something a little sturdier - 90 gr. Swift Scirocco, 90gr Accubond, 95/100 Partition or the 80 TTSX.

My experiment with the 95 Ballistic Tip stopped at three animals.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 243 for deer - 06/03/18
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Another fan of the Nosler 95 grain Ballistic tip.

And another here...
Posted By: bludog Re: 243 for deer - 06/04/18
100 gr Partitions work.
Posted By: super T Re: 243 for deer - 06/04/18
Nosler 95gn BT. Don't point that at any 150lb deer you don't want DRT
Posted By: mathman Re: 243 for deer - 06/04/18
Originally Posted by super T
Nosler 95gn BT. Don't point that at any 150lb deer you don't want DRT

It works on hogs 100 pounds heavier than that too. It's a deer killer.
Posted By: ckat Re: 243 for deer - 06/05/18
95gr Nosler BT is my choice.

The Sierra GameKing and Nosler Partition or Accubond would be good choices, too...
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: 243 for deer - 06/05/18
Find which Partition shoots the best and you will never need to look back.
In my gun, 100 grainers are the nuts. Open up enough to make straw berry jam
and hold together well enough to pass thru.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 243 for deer - 06/05/18
50 years ago, there were few, if any, good bullets in 243 for deer, IMHO. They either didn't expand or they expanded in a tremendous fashion. There probably were bullets that worked. I just got tired of trying. Today, it seems there are many options.

I always like partitions as they've never failed me. However, I think that most all of the bullets that were recommended would work.

I've had Gamekings fail by lack of penetration, but that was decades ago. Maybe they are OK now...
Posted By: milespatton Re: 243 for deer - 06/05/18
50 years ago, there were few, if any, good bullets in .243 for deer,

I have only owned a .243 since the mid 1990's, which is around 20 years +/-, but the old 100gr core-lock worked great. I do not know what was available before that. I think too many went to a lighter bullet looking for speed and got a bullet that did not work well. So, not the .243's fault but the hunter and the bullet. miles
Posted By: Bbear Re: 243 for deer - 06/05/18
My first deer rifle was a Savage 99 in 243. No accurate way to count the number of deer put down by myself and this rifle using the 100 gr Core-lokt bullets. Somewhere near 150 deer I'd wager. 2nd rifle was a 600 Mohawk in 243. Same bullets, same results. We were happy with minute-of-deer accuracy and rarely took shots over 250 yards.
I still have those two rifles (though the 600 is in my grandson's possession). And, I started reloading. For the two that I have now, I'm using the 90 gr Acubond and the 85 gr Partitions. They still kill deer. The 'new' rifle will put 4 in a group of less than a business card at 500 yards. Good enough for my needs.
As with any cartridge and hunting, if you put it in the right place (an argument for a different thread) it will do the job on any whitetail or mule deer in this country.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 243 for deer - 06/05/18
I have killed more deer with an 85 grain Sierra Varminter than any other bullet outta my 6mm and several 243s. Pass throughs are the norm even if a shoulder is caught.

Moved to a 95 grain Partition last fall and same results as the Sierra, DRT.

I have also shot them with 100 grain Sierra both Prohunter and Gameking, 87 grain Hornady BTHP, 100 Hornady BTSP as well as 100 grain Core Lokt bullets.

Cannot say the 100s work a lick better than that 85 Sierra Varminter though.

A lot of guys like the 85 grain Sierra BTHP GameKing but it was not for me, too many runners where with the other bullets DRT is the norm. YMMV.

I hope to try the 90 Accubond this fall.

Find a good shooting bullet anywhere from 85-100 grains and you will be fine.
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: 243 for deer - 06/05/18

"A lot of guys like the 85 grain Sierra BTHP GameKing but it was not for me, too many runners where with the other bullets DRT is the norm. YMMV."

10 guage, did the 85 BTHP exit on lung shots? Only deer I killed with one was a 60 yard lung shot. No exit but the deer didn't go very far before falling over. Lungs were mush but no bullet marks on opposite rib cage. No blood trail.

Used the 90 Accubond on one. Got a very small exit, no blood trail. Deer ran about 75 yards. Disconnecting the heart might account for lack of blood trail, no pump working.

Trying a Nosler 100 Partition this year.
Posted By: keith Re: 243 for deer - 06/05/18
Where you live deer can get huge, so go with a tougher bullet.

95g Hornady SST is tougher than the 95g Ballistic tip, but my preference is with two other bullets that will get the job done in spades

100g Hornady spbt
95g NOler partition

We have taken a lot of deer over 200 lbs with both of these bullets and the partition will penetrate and break bones on quartering shots, with no fear!

We shot a hot load of IMR 4831 with a 9 1/2 primer with the 95's, but today I would start off with R#26 with a cci 250 or fed 215 primer.

Those Kansas and Nebraska Bucks we hunted were all over 200 lbs, with shots running 300-400 yards. No flies on the 100g Hornady, flat base or btsp version!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: 243 for deer - 06/05/18
I've used most "big game" bullets in the .243 & they have all worked.

Currently using 95gr Hornady SST & love it.

I'm a meat hunter, so shots are always at stationary, unwary animals & always behind the shoulder & above the heart (if I can help it), deer go 0 to 30 yards tops.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 243 for deer - 06/05/18
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers

"A lot of guys like the 85 grain Sierra BTHP GameKing but it was not for me, too many runners where with the other bullets DRT is the norm. YMMV."

10 guage, did the 85 BTHP exit on lung shots? Only deer I killed with one was a 60 yard lung shot. No exit but the deer didn't go very far before falling over. Lungs were mush but no bullet marks on opposite rib cage. No blood trail.

Used the 90 Accubond on one. Got a very small exit, no blood trail. Deer ran about 75 yards. Disconnecting the heart might account for lack of blood trail, no pump working.

Trying a Nosler 100 Partition this year.

Yes, a dime to nickle sized exit, same size through lungs. Sample of half dozen or so deer and 1 coyote. Bone may help them expand or maybe I had a fluke box of tough bullets.

No deer were lost but had a couple go 100+ yards. Blood trails were decent.

I just know with the 85s I load or the 100 grain bullets if a deer doesn't go down at the shot they might cover 25 yards at best.

Like I say a ton of guys like them just not my cup of tea.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 243 for deer - 06/05/18
Originally Posted by Bugger
50 years ago, there were few, if any, good bullets in 243 for deer, IMHO. They either didn't expand or they expanded in a tremendous fashion. There probably were bullets that worked. I just got tired of trying. Today, it seems there are many options.

I always like partitions as they've never failed me. However, I think that most all of the bullets that were recommended would work.

I've had Gamekings fail by lack of penetration, but that was decades ago. Maybe they are OK now...

They were still erratic probably 10 years ago when I finally quit gamekings.. I"ll use matchkings without a worry though..
Posted By: UPhiker Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18
Thanks everyone. I ordered the 95gr BTs.
Posted By: 7_08FAN Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18
Originally Posted by SKane
Under 200, I prefer something a little sturdier - 90 gr. Swift Scirocco, 90gr Accubond, 95/100 Partition or the 80 TTSX.

My experiment ended with two this year. I had heard so much good I decided to try them. No more for me. I will go back to the Sierra 85gr HPBT which has always worked without question for me. The TTSX would also be a good one to try.
Posted By: skeen Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
I've used most "big game" bullets in the .243 & they have all worked.

Currently using 95gr Hornady SST & love it.

I'm a meat hunter, so shots are always at stationary, unwary animals & always behind the shoulder & above the heart (if I can help it), deer go 0 to 30 yards tops.

I too have had great success with 95 grain Hornady SSTs. From 30 to 200 yards, it drops whitetails like they got hit with lightning.
Posted By: devnull Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN

My experiment ended with two this year. I had heard so much good I decided to try them. No more for me. I will go back to the Sierra 85gr HPBT which has always worked without question for me. The TTSX would also be a good one to try.

I'm not a fan either in .243. I too have had better success with the Sierra 85 gr HPBT.
Posted By: SKane Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Unless you have a grunge against the front end, I'd encourage you stay off the shoulders. wink whistle
Posted By: tzone Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18

Unless you have a grunge against the front end, I'd encourage you stay off the shoulders. wink whistle

grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18

Scott: I trust your opinion, and your experience, but Im wondering about this...Ive had three instances where Ive shot shoulders with this bullet and got good penetration and performance each time on critters from 100 to 275 pounds....granted, its only a sample of three.....
Posted By: SKane Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18
Tom,
In my experience, it kill's 'em deader'n a doornail - it's the aftermath on the cutting table with copious amounts of strawberry jello / waste.
I may have got a bad box. They were some I had for a few years. I shot them out of the 6x47L. One fairly close and one at distance. I shot them behind the shoulder in the boiler room. Pretty much exploded on the surface puncturing a lung. Had to finish both off with another shot. Actually a friend finished one off after it got up after tracking it a quarter mile. His old corelok 243 worked great. Bad box or not, it soured me.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18
[Linked Image]

The 95 gr. Nos BT kills Whitetails as does the 105 gr. Scenar We use them in .243 STD and .243 A.I. results of 2 1/2 days hunting in Dec. 2017
Tom,
In my experience, it kill's 'em deader'n a doornail - it's the aftermath on the cutting table with copious amounts of strawberry jello / waste.

THAT I will agree with that, but have experienced it with a few bullets in the .243...
I may have got a bad box. They were some I had for a few years. I shot them out of the 6x47L. One fairly close and one at distance. I shot them behind the shoulder in the boiler room. Pretty much exploded on the surface puncturing a lung. Had to finish both off with another shot. Actually a friend finished one off after it got up after tracking it a quarter mile. His old corelok 243 worked great. Bad box or not, it soured me.

The NBT has 'evolved' and gone through a number of upgrades as it were. If it was a number of years ago, try them again..

I swore off them shortly after their introduction till JB talked me into trying them again. BIG difference!
Posted By: tomk Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18
How so, Kemo?

Was just pondering those for a 6mm Rem noting the BC...
Originally Posted by ingwe

The NBT has 'evolved' and gone through a number of upgrades as it were. If it was a number of years ago, try them again..

I swore off them shortly after their introduction till JB talked me into trying them again. BIG difference!

Not sure how old mine are but know they have some age. Were your early vintage results indicating they were not as tough a bullet as the current production?
Posted By: johnw Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18
Tom,

I don't see a lot of difference in destructiveness between most .243 bullets, and consider the 100 partition to be as destructive as the rest. That front end is wicked. I only shoot maybe a couple of deer a year, on average, so FWIW...

Accuracy and performance, my top 3 picks are the 85 bthp, the speer 90, and the BT95...
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18
While some bullets tend to aggravate meat damage more than others, about any bullet will cause some destruction, when game is shot in the front shoulders. I’ve even seen Barnes TTSXs cause a great deal of meat damage on front shoulder hits.

If you want to minimize meat damage, don’t shoot them in the meat.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Not sure how old mine are but know they have some age. Were your early vintage results indicating they were not as tough a bullet as the current production?

Exactly....
Posted By: mathman Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18
After he got over his magnum phase, my father hunted a good bit with a barreled 308 Winchester, a full stock Steyr carbine. In that rifle he used 150 grain Interlocks and the Ballistic tips of the day which came in 100 count boxes. It was clear that those early BT's were softer. Fast forward about thirty years and it's me hunting with a 308 and 150 grain Interlocks and Ballistic Tips. I've found the current issue BT to be as good a penetrator, if not better.
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18
It is almost sacrilege to say anything derogatory about the Ballistic Tip here on the 'Fire but hear me out. I first used one, a 140 in a 7mm08, in about 1996. It left a large surface wound and disintegrated with a few small pieces exiting. The whitetail deer, did not go far with that lung shot but I wasn't happy with the integrity of the bullet. Next was a 130 out of a 270 (gay) that made an even more horrible surface wound. Yup, I got the deer. Luckily, it was a lung shot and not a shoulder. Next, still in the 90s, was a 95 BT from a 243. That one exited on the 95 yard lung shot, deer went about 75 yards and went down. Not as good as the usual 40-50 yard travel when using a 7mm08 with Sierra 120s or 140s or a 308 with Sierra 150s.

I have read many times here and elsewhere that Nosler made the bullets tougher at some point but we are left to figure out when that was. Also, the 7mm 120 is supposedly tougher than the 140. How are we supposed to know that? What kind of sense does that make?

The 95 BT 6mm was supposedly designed by Gail Root to the a tough bullet from the get go and he even used them on elk! So why then have people using that bullet experienced blow ups? Were these toughened up too? When?

It's all too confusing to me to determine which ones are good and which ones aren't.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I wish I was one of the happy BT users but due to past disappointments, am reluctant to try them again. The only reason I used them in the first place was because the Solid Base was discontinued. That was a good bullet in the 270 and 708.
It's relatively easy, just buy new ones.

I should say for deer I have no problem at all with standard weight Sierras in mid speed rounds like 7mm08 and 308 Win to name two.
Posted By: irfubar Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
It is almost sacrilege to say anything derogatory about the Ballistic Tip here on the 'Fire but hear me out. I first used one, a 140 in a 7mm08, in about 1996. It left a large surface wound and disintegrated with a few small pieces exiting. The whitetail deer, did not go far with that lung shot but I wasn't happy with the integrity of the bullet. Next was a 130 out of a 270 (gay) that made an even more horrible surface wound. Yup, I got the deer. Luckily, it was a lung shot and not a shoulder. Next, still in the 90s, was a 95 BT from a 243. That one exited on the 95 yard lung shot, deer went about 75 yards and went down. Not as good as the usual 40-50 yard travel when using a 7mm08 or 308 with Sierra 150s.

I have read many times here and elsewhere that Nosler made the bullets tougher at some point but we are left to figure out when that was. Also, the 7mm 120 is supposedly tougher than the 140. How are we supposed to know that? What kind of sense does that make?

The 95 BT 6mm was supposedly designed by Gail Root to the a tough bullet from the get go and he even used them on elk! So why then have people using that bullet experienced blow ups? Were these toughened up too? When?

It's all too confusing to me to determine which ones are good and which ones aren't.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I wish I was one of the happy BT users but due to past disappointments, am reluctant to try them again. The only reason I used them in the first place was because the Solid Base was discontinued. That was a good bullet in the 270 and 708.

I f you go to the store and purchase new ballistic tips you can rest assured they are the updated tougher version.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18
I've used 100 grain core-lokt's, interlocks, power points and power shoks. Have also used the 85 gr sierra bthp and 95 gr. SST. The 95 SST's and 85 gr BTHP are the quickest killers of the bunch with lung shots no question.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18
Yep, just look for the Jeff-O proof boxes, and the bullets will be the recent version.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Yep, just look for the Jeff-O proof boxes, and the bullets will be the recent version.

I believe there has been a packaging change since then. Jeff could get into the new ones.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 243 for deer - 06/07/18
Hope all the glowing reports on the 95gr BTs are true, I've got a couple hundred blems landing here tomorrow.

I hedged my bet with 100 85gr Partitions though......
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 243 for deer - 06/08/18
Case in point, I posted a picture this morning of about 30 WhiteTails, that were killed with the bullets aka 95 gr. NOS BT and 105 gr. Scenars, 100 gr. SMK's note the bullet wounds, very little destroyed or blood shot meat, that was the point of the picture, we kill a lot of deer every year we wouldn't use these bullets if they didn't work or made a big mess out of the deer.

I don't care what you use or why you use it, but a sample of 1 or 2 deer a year does not give you much to go on when talking bullets and their performance.
Posted By: SKane Re: 243 for deer - 06/08/18
Rio,
There can be no debate with your sample size. grin
Perhaps I got a bad batch (bullets were new stock BTW) but even on one hit in the broadside boiler, I hadn't seen that sort of mess since the last time I used 130 BT's (.270) back around 1986. sick sick
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: 243 for deer - 06/08/18
If you're looking for factory ammo, Federal Fusion (95 grain), Hornady Whitetail (100 grain interlock), Federal Premiums with the 95 ballistic tip or any of the partiions. They all work.

If you reload and your barrel will spin them, the 105 HPBT works well.

There are a ton of options.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 243 for deer - 06/08/18
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Hope all the glowing reports on the 95gr BTs are true, I've got a couple hundred blems landing here tomorrow.

I took my buddy's kid a couple of years ago to kill this big mule deer. He did in fact use a .243 and 95 BT combo and made a nice 150 yard shot. The buck folded like a lawn chair. Of course, a partition is never a bad choice.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 243 for deer - 06/08/18
SKane, Every once in awhile we will have a bullet make a hell of a mess out of a critter, and I don't know why?? I have had bullets that have hit a limb or tree between the shooter and the deer but very close to the deer that turned into a hand grenade and made a hell of a mess of the deer. anything is possible, remember Murphy's Law.

Rio7
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 243 for deer - 06/08/18
Rio, loved that hangin' deer pic. You guys were busy!
Posted By: hanco Re: 243 for deer - 06/08/18
Grandkids have killed bunches of pigs with Ballistic tips.
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: 243 for deer - 06/08/18
I'm not seeing a lot of lung shot deer in your picture. Where do you shoot them?
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 243 for deer - 06/09/18
JGRaider,It pleases me to see you and others taking young people hunting,Good on Ya!

AnsonRodgers, I wait till I have the shot I want and usually head shoot when culling,if I don't or can't get the shot I want I heart lung shoot or pass that shot my culling buddy and I have a saying for when we don't take a shot for what ever reason, it is " God Wanted That Critter To Live Another Day" That covers misses also. Rio7
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: 243 for deer - 06/09/18
Thank you. I wondered about your shot placement. Pretty much any bullet should work for a head shot. I use the lung shot to minimize meat loss, plus our deer are probably larger.

When I lived in TX and hunted Hill Country deer, I used a 243 a bunch, even with Sierra 60 grain HPs. Your deer in south TX are no doubt larger than those. They sure are up here.

I don't take marginal shots either.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 243 for deer - 06/09/18
AnsonRogers, Our deer a quit a bit bigger than the hill country deer, but not as big as the northern Whitetails, doe's average 125# some are 130# Bucks usually around 200# up to 235# bucks will loose 20# to 30# during the rut and the does will loose some weight also we weigh every deer and age them and score every buck, and collect the lower jaw of all deer killed, that way we know where we are, deer are a part of our over all ranch management program.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 243 for deer - 06/09/18
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I took my buddy's kid a couple of years ago to kill this big mule deer. He did in fact use a .243 and 95 BT combo and made a nice 150 yard shot. The buck folded like a lawn chair. Of course, a partition is never a bad choice.

[Linked Image]

You went and ruined it for him. He may never shoot a bigger one. Bet you're on his Christmas card list for life though! Good on you.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: 243 for deer - 06/13/18
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
If you want to minimize meat damage, don’t shoot them in the meat.

I like Ballistic Tips for deer. Billy’s comment is exactly why I became a lung buster. I never eat the ribs and there isn’t much there to lose. They run a little, but I hadn’t lost one yet after the lungs are trashed.

The 130 NBT from a 270 has done some horrific shoulder damage up close. Oddly enough, that combo is also one of favorites for busting lungs. It puts them down fast, really fast!
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: 243 for deer - 06/13/18
I’m a big 243 fan too. Lots of good bullets mentioned. Pick anything above and fill your freezer.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: 243 for deer - 06/13/18
I like the 80gr TTSX in my .243
Posted By: DollarShort Re: 243 for deer - 06/13/18
So is the black 95 CT the same as a BT, except for the coating?
Posted By: FishinHank Re: 243 for deer - 06/13/18
Originally Posted by DollarShort
So is the black 95 CT the same as a BT, except for the coating?

Yep, I shoot the coated ones out of my .243, they hammer deer.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: 243 for deer - 06/13/18
White tails can’t be that tough can they? My Wife has killed a number of elk with her 243 and 100gr nosler partitions.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 243 for deer - 06/13/18
Originally Posted by RIO7
SKane, Every once in awhile we will have a bullet make a hell of a mess out of a critter, and I don't know why?? I have had bullets that have hit a limb or tree between the shooter and the deer but very close to the deer that turned into a hand grenade and made a hell of a mess of the deer. anything is possible, remember Murphy's Law.

Rio7

Yet I've not seen that once I went to barnes for the most part and never looked back....And I appreciate that fact so far too.
Originally Posted by BeanMan
White tails can’t be that tough can they? My Wife has killed a number of elk with her 243 and 100gr nosler partitions.

I could have killed at least 50% if likely almost all our whitetails with a 22lr...
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: 243 for deer - 06/13/18
I like the Speer 100 BTSP for deer out of 243 for generic, cheap bullets. Also hammers are the 95gr SST's from Hornady. Sure, 95 BT's and 95/100 Pt's work, as do every other premium. I've never seen a 243 bullet fail, actually, on deer. No need to push them hard if your shots will max out at 200. Figure out something in the mid- to upper- 2000's for speed and sight in for 175 yd zero. Bullets will perform at their best and and the brass will last longer.
I"ve shot a few with 80 ballistic tip varmint bullets and blue dot at about 1700 fps.... rib shots like normal or a head shot. Out to 200 so far or right at it IIRC, not beyond, no issues there either. I totally forgot about the mild quiet loads.
Posted By: Tejano Re: 243 for deer - 06/13/18
Originally Posted by RIO7
Case in point, I posted a picture this morning of about 30 WhiteTails, that were killed with the bullets aka 95 gr. NOS BT and 105 gr. Scenars, 100 gr. SMK's note the bullet wounds, very little destroyed or blood shot meat, that was the point of the picture, we kill a lot of deer every year we wouldn't use these bullets if they didn't work or made a big mess out of the deer.

I don't care what you use or why you use it, but a sample of 1 or 2 deer a year does not give you much to go on when talking bullets and their performance.

Have you tried the 107 grain Sierras? I had mixed results with SMK in other calibers and gave up on them. But I have a 6mm AI in the works that was built for the 105 & 107 grain bullets. Have plenty of 95 BT but would like to wring out the Scenar, Bergers and maybe the SMK and ELD-X.

Back to the original question. I know the OP already bought the 95 BT good choice. But an 85 or 87 will have slightly less recoil especially if held to around 3,000 fps. A past strap on shoulder pad could help too. Keep in mind if you screw up your shoulder it may hurt for the rest of your life or set you up for more surgery in the future. Take care.

For starters I am going to alternate between the 95BT and Partition to see which I like better. Probably be a difficult choice.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 243 for deer - 06/14/18
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Also hammers are the 95gr SST's from Hornady.

I have several of the 95 grain SST bullets.

I keep hearing how great they are, may give a few a try this fall.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: 243 for deer - 06/21/18
I would pick one of the bullets recommended, and see how it groups! If they shoot good in your rifle, that's what I would use. If they don't shoot bug holes try another, until you find one that groups! Then your good. Every .243 I have owned has been a good shooter! My third favorite cartridge. Just behind the 30-06 and the 7 RM!
Posted By: dh84 Re: 243 for deer - 06/21/18
I load 100 grn Sierra prohunters behind 46 grns H4831. very accurate and fully penetrates bucks.
Posted By: woodson Re: 243 for deer - 06/21/18
The easy answer is a 105 hornady BTHP assuming you reload and in my experience a 1-9.25” will stabilize em. Fret not their “match” label and square up a shoulder shot. They’re truly excellent in flight, price, and terminal performance.

If you don’t reload just buy anything. Deer aren’t hard to kill with a 243.
Posted By: gamma4diesel Re: 243 for deer - 06/21/18
Took a doe at 237 yds last year with factory superformance/95g sst. Complete pass through
Broad side shot, broke L shoulder, passed through chest cavity and broke R upper leg bone(don't know the proper name)
Deer was dead before it hit the ground.
Posted By: Phoneman Re: 243 for deer - 06/21/18
80gr TTSX over some H4350 and it'll tip em over like a truck hit em.
Posted By: Phoneman Re: 243 for deer - 06/21/18
good ol 100gr corelokts handle business if you don't reload. Id pick my shots a little better though than with the barnes. Ive got some 100gr partitions but I haven't loaded them yet
Posted By: Texczech Re: 243 for deer - 06/21/18
Rio,would you mind sharing your plain 243 load for the 105 scenar. I have 2 new 243s to load for. For the first time we are going to have some 300 yard shots. Thanks
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 243 for deer - 06/21/18
Texczech, the most accurate .243 load Iv'e come up with in all three of my .243s

105 Scenar
41.5 gr. H-4350
CCI-200
O.A.L. 2.795

For me this is a very good hunting load and It does very well on the range.

48.0 gr. of Retumbo shoots almost exactly the same for me.

side note all my .243s are 1x8 twist... Rio7
Posted By: Texczech Re: 243 for deer - 06/21/18
Thanks Rio
I'll give them a try.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 243 for deer - 06/21/18
I've killed deer using 6BR and 243, from 70gr TNT thru 105 Amax (BR at 400 yds).

Personally the 95 NBT is my fave, all around from near to far distances. Will blow thru both shoulders of a mature buck, plenty damage but no excess meat loss.

The 85 Barnes are wicked killers, but I would reserve for distances to 300 yds or under, for expansion of the mono. The TNTs, 85/87 Cup/Core, Amax and similar are best for necks and lungs.

Consider this:
Soft bullets - for soft targets
Hard bullets like Barnes hitting bone is not an issue.

Not used E-Tips or ABs but personally prefer the 95 BT to either. You WANT Expansion with the small diameter 6mm bullets, but you need integrity for penetration thru muscle and bone if not going for lung shots/or able to pick your shot. The Amax will blow up on close shots...200 yds on a spine they disintegrate from a BR at 2850, but at 400 they exit both lungs broadside, golf-ball sized. I'd expect a few Berger and Scenar to duplicate.

100 PTs work, but I prefer the 95 NBT, for any distance, any game, just me. Same for the 85. PTs are never a bad choice.

Too many needlessly worry about the 95 BT - it flat works, and I've had 1/2" groups at 200 yds from a 6BR.......

Place your shot, carry a sharp knife. Remember, soft bullets - save for necks or lungs, no shoulders unless shots are really long.
Posted By: woodson Re: 243 for deer - 06/22/18
The 95 NBT is a outstanding bullet. Reliable enough to square up a high shoulder shot on a mature deer and “splashy” enough to make good ground hog shots. If only it had a BC of 0.531....
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: 243 for deer - 06/22/18
Huge sweet spot makes it a great choice, IMO. At that range I would reduce the load quite a bit and shoot the 95BT, or any decent soft point. Recoil will evaporate.
Posted By: groundhunter Re: 243 for deer - 06/22/18
Hey, good information here, although the weight of UP, bucks is what makes them special, not so much in rack size, the average distance I shoot bucks up here is about 75 yards, or closer,,,, with that said, the 243 is just fine,,,,, good bullet and shot placement, using a gun your comfortable with, will transmit into a gun your confident with....
I hunt Iron, Baraga, ............................... good luck
Posted By: DollarShort Re: 243 for deer - 06/22/18
Too bad they don't make the heavy round nose bullets any more. Wouldn't mind trying a 105 RN for woods distances.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 243 for deer - 06/22/18

How would a 105 RN would be better than the 80/85 Barnes, 95/100 Nosler or the 105 Hornady BTHP?

I'm not being a smart ass I'm just asking.

I've killed with RN, PSP and poly tipped bullets and I can tell no difference.
Posted By: country_20boy Re: 243 for deer - 06/22/18
Originally Posted by Tom264
80 grain Barnes ttsx

I'm loading these at a mild 3180 fps for my daughter and I've been very impressed with 6 kills between us so far. Recoil is very, very low. I would expect if you pushed them to 3300-3400 (easily doable with a 24" barrel), it would be even better.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 243 for deer - 06/22/18
Originally Posted by country_20boy
80 grain Barnes ttsx

I'm loading these at a mild 3180 fps for my daughter and I've been very impressed with 6 kills between us so far. Recoil is very, very low. I would expect if you pushed them to 3300-3400 (easily doable with a 24" barrel), it would be even better.

Shooting to break bone or in the lungs??
Posted By: Tom264 Re: 243 for deer - 06/25/18
My sons load is 3290 out of a 20”bbl
And yes we try to aim for shoulders.
Posted By: country_20boy Re: 243 for deer - 06/26/18
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Either. I've been trying to teach her to break shoulders, but several have been shot right behind the shoulder, through lungs and they ran 40 yards and fell dead with great blood trails.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 243 for deer - 06/26/18

Either. I've been trying to teach her to break shoulders, but several have been shot right behind the shoulder, through lungs and they ran 40 yards and fell dead with great blood trails.

Good deal as I am a shoulder shooter and had no doubt they would get through but just wondered how they did if bone wasn't encountered.
Posted By: Skatchewan Re: 243 for deer - 06/29/18
100 grain Hornady Interlocks. work very well, you can expect complete penetration on broadside shots
Posted By: Tom264 Re: 243 for deer - 06/30/18

Good deal as I am a shoulder shooter and had no doubt they would get through but just wondered how they did if bone wasn't encountered.

Still work well.
I shot a doe with a 6x45 last year at 60 yds, missed her shoulder and put it just behind her shoulder.
She ran maybe 55-60 yds and tipped over.
Bullet blew through and left plenty of blood.
80 grain ttsx at what velo I cant remember.
My notebook is in storage.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 243 for deer - 06/30/18

Still work well.
I shot a doe with a 6x45 last year at 60 yds, missed her shoulder and put it just behind her shoulder.

These would be from a vanilla 6mm Remington, as near to max velocity as accuracy allows.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 243 for deer - 06/30/18

Still work well.

These would be from a vanilla 6mm Remington, as near to max velocity as accuracy allows.

From my dealings with Barnes the more velocity the better so the 6mm should sing a happy tune with them whether you hit bone or not.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: 243 for deer - 06/30/18
Yup.
Like I said earlier my sons .243 is getting 3290 and he’s killed a couple, not all are shoulder shots.
His last buck was hard quartering entering just in front of the rear ham, traveling on to the opposite front shoulder.
We managed to find the slug under the skin.
It dropped right there.
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: 243 for deer - 07/05/18
Originally Posted by southtexas
If you’re speaking of reloads, I’d start with 95gr BTips at about 3000

This. My daughter took a nice 10 pt white tail at 200 yards in Missouri this past season with exactly this load. R-17 was the powder.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: southtexas Re: 243 for deer - 07/05/18
Great buck. And happy young lady , wink
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: 243 for deer - 07/05/18
That is a really nice buck! That's why it's important, on bullet reports, to know where they were taken. Lots of differences in size in different parts of the country.

Was it a lung shot? Looks like it was. Did it exit? How far did he go before crashing?

Congratulations to your daughter. My wife killed one about like that several years ago with a 243 and 100 grain Hornady flat bases. She shot him twice, no exit either time. I wasn't around for the field dressing so don't know what the lungs looked like or how far he went. She doesn't like to talk about those kinds of details.

Details please. What part of Missouri?
Posted By: DollarShort Re: 243 for deer - 07/06/18
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

How would a 105 RN would be better than the 80/85 Barnes, 95/100 Nosler or the 105 Hornady BTHP?

Not saying that I think it'd kill better, but maybe running it a bit slower might save a bit of meat? I doubt I'd use them with the rifle I have now as it has a preference for lighter bullets anyhow.

But my plan is to upgrade to a 9-ish twist rifle. And then I might want to do some sperimentin. Oh well, I'll be happy to just shoot the 100's and maybe that 105 BTHP.
Posted By: pointer Re: 243 for deer - 07/06/18
RBH- That's a dandy buck and a great picture! Congrats to your daughter!
Posted By: kevinJ Re: 243 for deer - 07/12/18
Preface by saying that most of the quality bullets like the Barnes, Hornady, Sierra, Nosler, etc will do the job just fine if you shoot the deer in the boiler room. I have been shooting the 95 nbt in 243 for 20 years. I have never had any issue with performance. Most drt and the few that do run go less than 30 in my experience. I don’t shoulder shoot very often, but have done it with the 95nbt without issue. I have also used corelokt and 95 vld. They killed quickly and efficiently also. Last year my wife shot three does with my 6mmbr and the 105vld. They all were lung shot and went straight down at 150-175 yards.

I don’t see me switching from the 95nbt or 243 for deer anytime soon.
Posted By: 708man Re: 243 for deer - 07/18/18
Originally Posted by DollarShort
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Not saying that I think it'd kill better, but maybe running it a bit slower might save a bit of meat? I doubt I'd use them with the rifle I have now as it has a preference for lighter bullets anyhow.

But my plan is to upgrade to a 9-ish twist rifle. And then I might want to do some sperimentin. Oh well, I'll be happy to just shoot the 100's and maybe that 105 BTHP.

I grew up hunting the woods of Michigan and if you're like me, probably 80% or more of my shots have been within 150yds and only 1 past 250. So in the woods, today's ultra-high BC's aren't any good to me (and probably quite a few others out there). The old tried and true round nose were killing deer and everything else that walked for a lot of years before we decided that solid coppers are the way to go, and I imagine the 30-30's and 35's still out there (not to mention my dad's favorite 348) will continue to fill the freezer for some years to come.

I like the idea of the initial impact from the larger frontal area creating shock. I also read an article a couple of years ago explaining how the RN bullets have more weight up front which helps to "pull" the bullet through the animal better. Not sure that this can be proven, but what is proven is that RN bullets for whatever reason just work.

I recently switched to a semi-round nose in my 300WM. I tried some Norma ammo in 165 oryx that shoots honest 1/4" groups at 100 and still holds 4" or better at 400. I haven't tried them on game yet but they are getting tested this fall on my Montana mule deer hunt.

My dad has killed a pile of deer with the 243 and core loct's while all 3 of my boys killed everything their 243's pointed at with 100gr partitions. So bottom line, find which one shoots best, put it in the right spot and you'll be fine.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 243 for deer - 07/18/18

My farthest shot on a deer is 201yds and I killed it with a muzzleloader. High bc bullets don't help at closer ranges but they don't hinder anything either. I know with the 105 HPBT it's nice to be able to practice hammering steel at 600 and 800yds while it still works on deer at 30yds.

I've killed plenty of deer with RN bullets and I've yet to see any difference in killing between RN and SP.
© 24hourcampfire