Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Where you live deer can get huge, so go with a tougher bullet.

95g Hornady SST is tougher than the 95g Ballistic tip, but my preference is with two other bullets that will get the job done in spades

100g Hornady spbt
95g NOler partition

We have taken a lot of deer over 200 lbs with both of these bullets and the partition will penetrate and break bones on quartering shots, with no fear!

We shot a hot load of IMR 4831 with a 9 1/2 primer with the 95's, but today I would start off with R#26 with a cci 250 or fed 215 primer.

Those Kansas and Nebraska Bucks we hunted were all over 200 lbs, with shots running 300-400 yards. No flies on the 100g Hornady, flat base or btsp version!

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've used most "big game" bullets in the .243 & they have all worked.

Currently using 95gr Hornady SST & love it.

I'm a meat hunter, so shots are always at stationary, unwary animals & always behind the shoulder & above the heart (if I can help it), deer go 0 to 30 yards tops.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers

"A lot of guys like the 85 grain Sierra BTHP GameKing but it was not for me, too many runners where with the other bullets DRT is the norm. YMMV."

10 guage, did the 85 BTHP exit on lung shots? Only deer I killed with one was a 60 yard lung shot. No exit but the deer didn't go very far before falling over. Lungs were mush but no bullet marks on opposite rib cage. No blood trail.

Used the 90 Accubond on one. Got a very small exit, no blood trail. Deer ran about 75 yards. Disconnecting the heart might account for lack of blood trail, no pump working.

Trying a Nosler 100 Partition this year.

Yes, a dime to nickle sized exit, same size through lungs. Sample of half dozen or so deer and 1 coyote. Bone may help them expand or maybe I had a fluke box of tough bullets.

No deer were lost but had a couple go 100+ yards. Blood trails were decent.

I just know with the 85s I load or the 100 grain bullets if a deer doesn't go down at the shot they might cover 25 yards at best.

Like I say a ton of guys like them just not my cup of tea.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bugger
50 years ago, there were few, if any, good bullets in 243 for deer, IMHO. They either didn't expand or they expanded in a tremendous fashion. There probably were bullets that worked. I just got tired of trying. Today, it seems there are many options.

I always like partitions as they've never failed me. However, I think that most all of the bullets that were recommended would work.

I've had Gamekings fail by lack of penetration, but that was decades ago. Maybe they are OK now...

They were still erratic probably 10 years ago when I finally quit gamekings.. I"ll use matchkings without a worry though..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Thanks everyone. I ordered the 95gr BTs.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane
Under 200, I prefer something a little sturdier - 90 gr. Swift Scirocco, 90gr Accubond, 95/100 Partition or the 80 TTSX.

My experiment with the 95 Ballistic Tip stopped at three animals.

My experiment ended with two this year. I had heard so much good I decided to try them. No more for me. I will go back to the Sierra 85gr HPBT which has always worked without question for me. The TTSX would also be a good one to try.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
I've used most "big game" bullets in the .243 & they have all worked.

Currently using 95gr Hornady SST & love it.

I'm a meat hunter, so shots are always at stationary, unwary animals & always behind the shoulder & above the heart (if I can help it), deer go 0 to 30 yards tops.

I too have had great success with 95 grain Hornady SSTs. From 30 to 200 yards, it drops whitetails like they got hit with lightning.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Under 200, I prefer something a little sturdier - 90 gr. Swift Scirocco, 90gr Accubond, 95/100 Partition or the 80 TTSX.

My experiment with the 95 Ballistic Tip stopped at three animals.

My experiment ended with two this year. I had heard so much good I decided to try them. No more for me. I will go back to the Sierra 85gr HPBT which has always worked without question for me. The TTSX would also be a good one to try.

I'm not a fan either in .243. I too have had better success with the Sierra 85 gr HPBT.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Unless you have a grunge against the front end, I'd encourage you stay off the shoulders. wink whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Unless you have a grunge against the front end, I'd encourage you stay off the shoulders. wink whistle

grin

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Scott: I trust your opinion, and your experience, but Im wondering about this...Ive had three instances where Ive shot shoulders with this bullet and got good penetration and performance each time on critters from 100 to 275 pounds....granted, its only a sample of three.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tom,
In my experience, it kill's 'em deader'n a doornail - it's the aftermath on the cutting table with copious amounts of strawberry jello / waste.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I may have got a bad box. They were some I had for a few years. I shot them out of the 6x47L. One fairly close and one at distance. I shot them behind the shoulder in the boiler room. Pretty much exploded on the surface puncturing a lung. Had to finish both off with another shot. Actually a friend finished one off after it got up after tracking it a quarter mile. His old corelok 243 worked great. Bad box or not, it soured me.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

The 95 gr. Nos BT kills Whitetails as does the 105 gr. Scenar We use them in .243 STD and .243 A.I. results of 2 1/2 days hunting in Dec. 2017

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tom,
In my experience, it kill's 'em deader'n a doornail - it's the aftermath on the cutting table with copious amounts of strawberry jello / waste.

THAT I will agree with that, but have experienced it with a few bullets in the .243...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I may have got a bad box. They were some I had for a few years. I shot them out of the 6x47L. One fairly close and one at distance. I shot them behind the shoulder in the boiler room. Pretty much exploded on the surface puncturing a lung. Had to finish both off with another shot. Actually a friend finished one off after it got up after tracking it a quarter mile. His old corelok 243 worked great. Bad box or not, it soured me.

The NBT has 'evolved' and gone through a number of upgrades as it were. If it was a number of years ago, try them again..

I swore off them shortly after their introduction till JB talked me into trying them again. BIG difference!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How so, Kemo?

Was just pondering those for a 6mm Rem noting the BC...

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe

The NBT has 'evolved' and gone through a number of upgrades as it were. If it was a number of years ago, try them again..

I swore off them shortly after their introduction till JB talked me into trying them again. BIG difference!

Not sure how old mine are but know they have some age. Were your early vintage results indicating they were not as tough a bullet as the current production?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Tom,

I don't see a lot of difference in destructiveness between most .243 bullets, and consider the 100 partition to be as destructive as the rest. That front end is wicked. I only shoot maybe a couple of deer a year, on average, so FWIW...

Accuracy and performance, my top 3 picks are the 85 bthp, the speer 90, and the BT95...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
While some bullets tend to aggravate meat damage more than others, about any bullet will cause some destruction, when game is shot in the front shoulders. I’ve even seen Barnes TTSXs cause a great deal of meat damage on front shoulder hits.

If you want to minimize meat damage, don’t shoot them in the meat.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (10gaugemag, 14idaho, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 22 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,655
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.