Home
Posted By: ingwe Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/24/19
I don't think the two have been paired up since Jim Corbett....till now.

Two Axis bucks with the .275 Rigby .... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The first one was with the help and thanks to member Bbear!
Bully!!!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/24/19
Nice rifle Ingwe. Kind of want to shoot one of those axis deer myself. Very nice.
Posted By: Joe Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/24/19
That's what I'm talking about. Most excellent Ingwe! How do you like the Ruger?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/25/19
Originally Posted by Joe

I can honestly say I like it as much or more than any big game rifle Ive ever owned. Ruger got the limited edition Africans just right....
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/25/19
Fantastic Tom. Great bucks.
Ya done good, Tom.
Well done!

The African Model Rugers are indeed nice rifles.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Fantastic Tom. Great bucks.

Thanks Johnny!
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/25/19
Well done Sir..
ingwe, very nice bucks.. Haven't shot one for a while.. Need to fix that..
Posted By: jwall Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/25/19
Very Nice

However it wouldn’t have been any DEADER if you used a 270 Win. laugh

Also Why didn’t you use your 270 Ingwe? wink

Ken’s been posting pix of the cartridge for you. grin

Jerry
Very Nice.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/25/19
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Joe

I can honestly say I like it as much or more than any big game rifle Ive ever owned. Ruger got the limited edition Africans just right....

I think even the Africans in 375 or 416 Ruger are righteous rifles. I finally handled one in January. I thought it looked, handled and felt great!
Posted By: RevMike Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/25/19
You're having way too much fun with that rifle! Congrats!
Posted By: SKane Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/25/19
Nice bucks!
And Happy Birthday!
Posted By: GregW Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/25/19
Great job. Beautiful bucks.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/25/19
Congrats Sir, could I ask what bullet you used? I have a tang safety M77 in 7x57 that I bought new in 1985. My favorite rifle by far!

Ron
Originally Posted by jwall
Very Nice

However it wouldn’t have been any DEADER if you used a 270 Win. laugh

Also Why didn’t you use your 270 Ingwe? wink

Ken’s been posting pix of the cartridge for you. grin

Jerry

Yeah !

& again, why aint you usin your 6.8 ?
Very nice! I love Axis meat. I am saving my pennies to make another trip to TX for Axis and Oryx.

What optic are you using on that rifle? I can't tell from the picture.
When I saw the title, first thing I thought of was "Jim Corbett"! smile A great combo.
Excellent!
Damn fine bucks Tom, well done buddy!
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Congrats Sir, could I ask what bullet you used? I have a tang safety M77 in 7x57 that I bought new in 1985. My favorite rifle by far!

Ron

I'm shooting the 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip...five critters with that combo so far and flawless performance!
[quote=ingwe]I don't think the two have been paired up since Jim Corbett....till now.

[quote]

So....now you’re going after the Chowgarh tigress...? That would be a task worthy of the Rigby!
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
[quote=ingwe]I don't think the two have been paired up since Jim Corbett....till now.

[quote]

So....now you’re going after the Chowgarh tigress...? That would be a task worthy of the Rigby!

I wish!!!
He stays out of those kind of places now...
If Corbett would hunt with anybody it would probably be our ingwe. Or, maybe deflave....he could tie Travis to a stake and use him as bait.
If Corbett would hunt with anybody it would probably be our ingwe. Or, maybe deflave....he could tie Travis to a stake and use him as bait.

Corbett just needs to know if we hunt leopard, I'll need a rusty-assed Taurus .38....
Congrats Ingwe!
Posted By: johnw Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/25/19
.275 Rugby
As cool as it gets.

I'd guess that Ruger cultivates the shooting/hunting mentality amongst those in it's employ who make decisions on what to build in firearms. If only other rifle makers would also...
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/25/19
Nice bucks Tom Congrats
Great eats and trophies there. Congrats!
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Very nice! I love Axis meat. I am saving my pennies to make another trip to TX for Axis and Oryx.

What optic are you using on that rifle? I can't tell from the picture.

Sorry for late reply...its a Burris FFII 3x9 with Ballistic plex.

Just plain dependable utility combo. Works every time!
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/25/19
Nice and good eating too.
Just plain dependable utility combo. Works every time!

There's a lot to be said for something like that.
Originally Posted by 30338
Nice rifle Ingwe. Kind of want to shoot one of those axis deer myself. Very nice.

You should do it.
Nice bucks and great eats. Who did you hunt with? Kudos to using the Rigby. I bet most of that run is sitting in safes with no plans to ever be used
Originally Posted by RevMike

Yo kinda rifle, Rev.

Bet it would kill those Florida pigs.

You need one.

DF

Corbett just needs to know if we hunt leopard, I'll need a rusty-assed Taurus .38....

This sounds like a story that should be in print. Perhaps an appendix to one of JB's next books.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/26/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Yo kinda rifle, Rev.

You need one.

DF

It probably would, but I have the original Ingwe Special for that.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Yo kinda rifle, Rev.

You need one.

DF

It probably would, but I have the original Ingwe Special for that.

So the new Rigby is an Ingwe wanna be, not the real deal?

DF
Posted By: RevMike Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/26/19
Exactly! Or as Ingwe would say, "Exactamundo!"
Posted By: ingwe Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/26/19
Exactly! Or as Ingwe would say, "Exactamundo!"

Right! There is only one Ingwe Special, and Mike has it!.....

There are 250 of the limited run .275 Rigby Africans....pretty common....
NICE! first rate nutrition right there, and a hell of a lot of fun to try and sneak up on! smile
Posted By: Bbear Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/27/19
Great meeting up with you, ingwe. Glad to see you got another! Come back sometime, there's more where that one came from!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/27/19
Originally Posted by Bbear
Great meeting up with you, ingwe. Glad to see you got another! Come back sometime, there's more where that one came from!

Thanks for hooking me up! And for being the genuine article, like most other 'Fire members I've met up with...

Ohhhh, and sorry I ruined one of your good knives using it an a hatchet! blush
Posted By: Tejano Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/27/19
Nice Axis. When I was a kid the 7mm & 8mm Mauser were pretty common as a kids first deer rifle. I think you could get them from the NRA for about 20 bucks. I am sure there are some old redneck geezers out there still using them. But You used the 275 Rigby not the plebeian 7 Mauser, so still a royal stag.
Originally Posted by Tejano
But You used the 275 Rigby not the plebeian 7 Mauser, so still a royal stag.

Yep, Rigby kill'em deader, for sure.

+1 on Royal Stag...

DF
Posted By: efw Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/27/19
Wow dude you suck.

Lovely buck and sharp piece there.
Jolly good show old chap!!!

Ron

I'm shooting the 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip...five critters with that combo so far and flawless performance!

Do you think they are a bit tougher than they used to be?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/28/19
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Ron

Do you think they are a bit tougher than they used to be?

They are DEFINITELY tougher than they used to be. I tried them when they first came out and it was disastrous...only our Mule Deer and Steve Timm here were eventually ( 25 years later...) able to talk me into trying them again. They have been superb performers on the 7 or 8 head of game Ive used them on. ( A couple with the 95 NBT in a .243 and five with the .275...150 NBT)
Posted By: Pugs Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/28/19
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
Kudos to using the Rigby. I bet most of that run is sitting in safes with no plans to ever be used

Same for the Ruger #1's in .275 Rigby a couple years ago. Mine on the other hand.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Elvis Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/29/19

Ron

I'm shooting that bullet in my 7x64 and haven't caught one yet. All have exited on pigs and fallow deer.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 06/29/19
Originally Posted by Elvis

Ron

I'm shooting that bullet in my 7x64 and haven't caught one yet. All have exited on pigs and fallow deer.

I caught one on that first Axis...he was running straight at me from 50 yards..entrance was low on the neck, it traveled down the spine to behind the shoulders and was pretty well in a number of pieces by then. The deer of course piled up immediately. All others have been pass thrus even including a #300 Aoudad that caught one through the shoulder...he went straight down too....and the bullet kept on going.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bbear Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 07/01/19
Dinner last night chital backstrap wrapped in bacon and fired up on the grill.

Before:
[Linked Image]

After:
[Linked Image]

Tom, I do appreciate the meat!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 07/01/19
I had Chital backstop last night too! laugh
Will trade you some meat from a rutting mule deer for some from a rutting axis!

Another Ballistic Tip tale from Texas. A couple years ago my friend and fellow gun writer Terry Wieland was going on an aoudad hunt, and his guide was one of those who recommend a .375 H&H. Terry is not afraid of the .375 (his favorite dangerous-game round is the .458 Lott) but he'd been shooting a nifty little .250 Savage, and it shot so well with 100-grain Ballistic Tips he wanted to bring it. He asked me what I thought, and I gave him some real-life examples of how the .257 100-grain worked on a few animals. He took the .250-3000 and made a 1-shot kill on a big ram at close to 300 yards, which went less than 50 yards after the little BT entered just behind the shoulder.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 07/01/19
Yeah John...I know exactly what you mean. Texans seem to think you need big guns. Amongst other things I shot my first Oryx ( and my second...) against the wishes of my guide, with the .223AI. Conversation went like this:

Guide: " You need at LEAST at .270..."

Me: " Have you ever seen me lose a head of game?"

Guide: " Ive never hunted with you before..."

Me: " So...that would be a 'no'..."

I eventually shot a third Oryx elsewhere, again against the wishes of my guide, with a bigger gun...a .243

Killed my biggest Aoudad to date with a 6.8 spc and a 95 gr. bullet....

Stories like this...I got a million of them....

and BTW: I'm SURE I owe you some Axis...so you'll have to come up and I'll cook it for you!
Posted By: mathman Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 07/01/19
Years ago I passed on a nice deal on a NIB Browning Low Wall because I hadn't yet smartened up on the effectiveness of the 243. D'oh!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nicely done Ingwe! I'm down to the last of my Axis meat. A couple of packs of back-straps, tenderloins and some burger meat is all that's left. I I watched a big buck and his does yesterday evening. He's a good 34", but no caudle tines. He has the brows though. H needs to be taken out, but he was across the fence and my neighbor/landlord would schitt a brick if I killed him.

I don't know why some outfitters here in Texas don't want folks shooting critters with a .223. I've killed a truckload of axis with my AR and the 64 gr. Winchester Ranger ammunition. I've never had one run for more than 30 yards and most were DRT. I've since run out of it and am going to use the 75 gr. Gold Dot ammo next.
Sounds like a plan, sometime later in the summer!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 07/03/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Sounds like a plan, sometime later in the summer!

You got it!

Say When!
Posted By: Bbear Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 07/06/19
One last bit for Ingwe - put up over 50 lbs of hamburger last night. Mixed with bacon.

Oh, and about those chiggers...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 07/06/19
Did that hunt bring back the same memories as when you were teaching Corbett how to tie his shoes
Posted By: ingwe Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 07/06/19
Originally Posted by Bbear
One last bit for Ingwe - put up over 50 lbs of hamburger last night. Mixed with bacon.

Oh, and about those chiggers...

[Linked Image]

Dude! Those chiggers must look like that! The bites aren't healing up worth a crap and theres a whole different dynamic to them...as if they destroyed the entire epidermal layer..Really weird!
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Did that hunt bring back the same memories as when you were teaching Corbett how to tie his shoes

John....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RevMike Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 07/06/19
Ingwe:

I don't know where you picked up chiggers, but down here in the South either calamine lotion, wintergreen alcohol, or (believe it or not) clear nail polish applied directly to the bite will take out the itch. It's gonna take a while for the wounds to heal, though. If you have them in your crotch, be careful with the wintergreen, especially if you've been scratching them: it'll let you know it's on there. Also, if they're in your crotch, don't worry about the clear nail polish - you can raid your wife's bathroom and go full Salvador Dali if you want.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 07/06/19

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ruger have hit the mark with that latest offering, haven't they.
Ingwe:

I don't know where you picked up chiggers, but down here in the South either calamine lotion, wintergreen alcohol, or (believe it or not) clear nail polish applied directly to the bite will take out the itch. It's gonna take a while for the wounds to heal, though. If you have them in your crotch, be careful with the wintergreen, especially if you've been scratching them: it'll let you know it's on there. Also, if they're in your crotch, don't worry about the clear nail polish - you can raid your wife's bathroom and go full Salvador Dali if you want.

Mike I got lucky and just got them under my sox on my ankles. I tried a couple OTC medications for them and they worked surprisingly well to get rid of the itch by the healing part is a real choose. And Yes, Ive had them on my crotch a few times! UGH!
Originally Posted by JSTUART

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ruger have hit the mark with that latest offering, haven't they.

Yeah..that is definitely my new favorite rifle..both Axis had to be shot in a hurry, the first one on the fly, and the rifle handled like it should.....
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Chital and the .275 Rigby - 07/06/19

Yeah..that is definitely my new favorite rifle..both Axis had to be shot in a hurry, the first one on the fly, and the rifle handled like it should.....

Have to say Ingwe that if I were just starting in to hunting I would go and buy one of those and call it good.

Someone at Ruger has a good eye.
© 24hourcampfire