Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by RevMike
You're having way too much fun with that rifle! Congrats!

Yo kinda rifle, Rev.

Bet it would kill those Florida pigs.

You need one.

DF

It probably would, but I have the original Ingwe Special for that.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
You're having way too much fun with that rifle! Congrats!

Yo kinda rifle, Rev.

Bet it would kill those Florida pigs.

You need one.

DF

It probably would, but I have the original Ingwe Special for that.

So the new Rigby is an Ingwe wanna be, not the real deal?

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Exactly! Or as Ingwe would say, "Exactamundo!"

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Exactly! Or as Ingwe would say, "Exactamundo!"

Right! There is only one Ingwe Special, and Mike has it!.....

There are 250 of the limited run .275 Rigby Africans....pretty common....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
NICE! first rate nutrition right there, and a hell of a lot of fun to try and sneak up on! smile

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great meeting up with you, ingwe. Glad to see you got another! Come back sometime, there's more where that one came from!

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bbear
Great meeting up with you, ingwe. Glad to see you got another! Come back sometime, there's more where that one came from!

Thanks for hooking me up! And for being the genuine article, like most other 'Fire members I've met up with...

Ohhhh, and sorry I ruined one of your good knives using it an a hatchet! blush

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice Axis. When I was a kid the 7mm & 8mm Mauser were pretty common as a kids first deer rifle. I think you could get them from the NRA for about 20 bucks. I am sure there are some old redneck geezers out there still using them. But You used the 275 Rigby not the plebeian 7 Mauser, so still a royal stag.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tejano
But You used the 275 Rigby not the plebeian 7 Mauser, so still a royal stag.

Yep, Rigby kill'em deader, for sure.

+1 on Royal Stag...

DF

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow dude you suck.

Lovely buck and sharp piece there.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Jolly good show old chap!!!

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Congrats Sir, could I ask what bullet you used? I have a tang safety M77 in 7x57 that I bought new in 1985. My favorite rifle by far!

Ron

I'm shooting the 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip...five critters with that combo so far and flawless performance!

Do you think they are a bit tougher than they used to be?

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Congrats Sir, could I ask what bullet you used? I have a tang safety M77 in 7x57 that I bought new in 1985. My favorite rifle by far!

Ron

I'm shooting the 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip...five critters with that combo so far and flawless performance!

Do you think they are a bit tougher than they used to be?

They are DEFINITELY tougher than they used to be. I tried them when they first came out and it was disastrous...only our Mule Deer and Steve Timm here were eventually ( 25 years later...) able to talk me into trying them again. They have been superb performers on the 7 or 8 head of game Ive used them on. ( A couple with the 95 NBT in a .243 and five with the .275...150 NBT)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
Kudos to using the Rigby. I bet most of that run is sitting in safes with no plans to ever be used

Same for the Ruger #1's in .275 Rigby a couple years ago. Mine on the other hand.....

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ron

I'm shooting that bullet in my 7x64 and haven't caught one yet. All have exited on pigs and fallow deer.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Elvis

Ron

I'm shooting that bullet in my 7x64 and haven't caught one yet. All have exited on pigs and fallow deer.

I caught one on that first Axis...he was running straight at me from 50 yards..entrance was low on the neck, it traveled down the spine to behind the shoulders and was pretty well in a number of pieces by then. The deer of course piled up immediately. All others have been pass thrus even including a #300 Aoudad that caught one through the shoulder...he went straight down too....and the bullet kept on going.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dinner last night chital backstrap wrapped in bacon and fired up on the grill.

Before:
[Linked Image]

After:
[Linked Image]

Tom, I do appreciate the meat!

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I had Chital backstop last night too! laugh

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Will trade you some meat from a rutting mule deer for some from a rutting axis!

Another Ballistic Tip tale from Texas. A couple years ago my friend and fellow gun writer Terry Wieland was going on an aoudad hunt, and his guide was one of those who recommend a .375 H&H. Terry is not afraid of the .375 (his favorite dangerous-game round is the .458 Lott) but he'd been shooting a nifty little .250 Savage, and it shot so well with 100-grain Ballistic Tips he wanted to bring it. He asked me what I thought, and I gave him some real-life examples of how the .257 100-grain worked on a few animals. He took the .250-3000 and made a 1-shot kill on a big ram at close to 300 yards, which went less than 50 yards after the little BT entered just behind the shoulder.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Yeah John...I know exactly what you mean. Texans seem to think you need big guns. Amongst other things I shot my first Oryx ( and my second...) against the wishes of my guide, with the .223AI. Conversation went like this:

Guide: " You need at LEAST at .270..."

Me: " Have you ever seen me lose a head of game?"

Guide: " Ive never hunted with you before..."

Me: " So...that would be a 'no'..."

I eventually shot a third Oryx elsewhere, again against the wishes of my guide, with a bigger gun...a .243

Killed my biggest Aoudad to date with a 6.8 spc and a 95 gr. bullet....

Stories like this...I got a million of them....

and BTW: I'm SURE I owe you some Axis...so you'll have to come up and I'll cook it for you!

Last edited by ingwe; 07/01/19.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (2ndwind, 10Glocks, 69sportfury, 673, 1badf350, 29aholic, 40 invisible), 1,671 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,847
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.