Home
Posted By: RIO7 Nice deer - 12/24/19
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice buck, he's been coming into my back yard chasing doe's for the last few evenings.
Posted By: Hugh_W2 Re: Nice deer - 12/24/19
He is a bruiser! Are you inside city limits or could you pursue him? Great buck!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Nice deer - 12/24/19
No Doubt, Blue!

Very nice buck!
Posted By: mudhen Re: Nice deer - 12/24/19
I'd give him at least another year, but that's just me. grin
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Nice deer - 12/24/19
Hugh W2, Hell No I live on a ranch way the hell out in the country. Rio7

This one's in the back yard right now. Rio7
Posted By: skeen Re: Nice deer - 12/24/19
Originally Posted by RIO7
Nice deer

I'd say!
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Nice deer - 12/24/19
Why haven’t you perforated him yet??!!!!

Kevin, I'm with Mudhen, I want him to breed doe's for another season, in the last 10 day's we have taken off 16 management bucks, don'tt need the meat. Rio7
Posted By: 44mc Re: Nice deer - 12/24/19
RIO7 down here a management buck is one you manage to kill . grin but it keeps you going
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Nice deer - 12/24/19
Originally Posted by 44mc
RIO7 down here a management buck is one you manage to kill . grin but it keeps you going

On a large ranch that strives for mature whitetails with good genetics, that game management can be a pain in the ass. Knowing what and how many to take can get tedious. And involve lots of work.

But it's worth it! Proof above! grin
Posted By: SKane Re: Nice deer - 12/25/19
Cool deer! But shouldn’t he be hooked to a sleigh about now?
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Nice deer - 12/25/19
Very nice deer.
Posted By: ribka Re: Nice deer - 12/25/19
love to pet that tame deer
Posted By: skeen Re: Nice deer - 12/25/19
Originally Posted by 44mc
down here a management buck is one you manage to kill . grin

Now that's signature line worthy! laugh
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Nice deer - 12/25/19

Ribka , I would love to watch you try to pet him, he'd kick you ass. Rio7
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Nice deer - 12/25/19
They sure are nice.

We have tried to roll the dice at the lease and let them go another year.
Hoping that other folks around don't shoot the first thing with anything on their head.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Nice deer - 12/25/19
WOW!!
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Nice deer - 12/25/19
Interesting back yard, for sure.
Posted By: Hugh_W2 Re: Nice deer - 12/25/19
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Why haven’t you perforated him yet??!!!!

Rio,
This was the meaning of my question.
Thanks for answering Kevin's
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Nice deer - 12/25/19
I guess I could understand that then. How many does do you think one buck breeds per season? Serious question. Living where you do on a ranch you would probably have a very informative answer.

Was recently at deer camp reading some deer biology book by one of the big deer biologists. Believe it was Larry W or could have been kroll. Said typicall 3/4 does a season, as typically a buck will stay with a doe and breed her for 2-3 days. I was kinda surpised it was that low.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Nice deer - 12/25/19
KevinJ, We feel that we are lucky if our really nice bucks breed 2 or 3 doe's per season, many people think our deer are pen raised or pet deer nothing could farther from the truth, they are as wild as any deer you have ever seen, we keep about 30 trail camera's working at water holes and protien feeders, from Aug. to March, I have looked at over 100,00 pictures so far this year, and we still kill bucks that we have never seen on camera, we have a total of 64 water tanks or ponds as some people call them, we move camera's about every 2 weeks, some times we will see a buck in one place then 2 day's later he will be 20 miles from were we saw him the last time, they will move long distance's late in the rut looking for hot doe's, I have a water tank and protien feed 100 yrds from the back door of my house and I get suprised every year by what shows up here.

Hope this answer's part of your Question's. Rio7
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Nice deer - 12/25/19
Thanks for the reply. Not surprised at how far they will move during the rut. Buck we killed this year in Ohio was on camera 7 miles away all summer before showing up late October on us. Kinda crazy isn’t it
Posted By: skeen Re: Nice deer - 12/26/19
We feel that we are lucky if our really nice bucks breed 2 or 3 doe's per season...

Wow, I'd have never guessed that. For whatever reason I'd have guessed much higher.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Nice deer - 12/26/19
Originally Posted by skeen
We feel that we are lucky if our really nice bucks breed 2 or 3 doe's per season...

Wow, I'd have never guessed that. For whatever reason I'd have guessed much higher.

That’s what I’ve heard. Kinda goes against what one would think.

Some contend that culling doesn’t help. Well, it makes me feel better to kill a mature buck with no future. At least there are 2-3 does he won’t breed. May not help, IMO, can’t hurt.

DF
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Nice deer - 12/26/19

The People that think culling doe's not work, are the people that don't cull hard enough. Rio7

The People that think culling does not work, are the people that don't cull hard enough. Rio7

Agree. Dead, sorry buck don’t breed. Live, good ones do. The fact that bucks breed just a few does, aren’t herd animals like elk, factor into their hypothesis.

IIRC that was Quality Deer Mgt wisdom. They had a property with various mgt options regarding culling. Concluded there was no difference in outcome.

The difference may be subtle, but killing a cull means there are a couple of does he won’t breed. They say it doesn’t help; I say it can’t hurt. Makes me feel better.

DF
Posted By: skeen Re: Nice deer - 12/26/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

The People that think culling does not work, are the people that don't cull hard enough. Rio7

Agree. Dead, sorry buck don’t breed. Live, good ones do. The fact that bucks breed just a few does, aren’t herd animals like elk, factor into their hypothesis.

IIRC that was Quality Deer Mgt wisdom. They had a property with various mgt options regarding culling. Concluded there was no difference in outcome.

The difference may be subtle, but killing a cull means there are a couple of does he won’t breed. They say it doesn’t help; I say it can’t hurt. Makes me feel better.

DF

Hmm, it would seem to me that's an argument against statewide APRs, yes?
Posted By: crockettinaz Re: Nice deer - 12/26/19
Maybe Coues breed more aggressively. I read somewhere that here in AZ whether the buck to doe ratio is 1:1 or 1:10, all the does get bred, fwiw.
Originally Posted by crockettinaz
Maybe Coues breed more aggressively. I read somewhere that here in AZ whether the buck to doe ratio is 1:1 or 1:10, all the does get bred, fwiw.

They must be more like an antelope in that regard.

DF
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Nice deer - 12/26/19
Originally Posted by mudhen
I'd give him at least another year, but that's just me. grin

Yep. Longer tines would put him in the world class category and supplemental feeding on a large controlled ranch could easily do it.
Posted By: SKane Re: Nice deer - 12/26/19
We feel that we are lucky if our really nice bucks breed 2 or 3 doe's per season

This will surprise a lot of folks as many think a super-buck or two in an area is/are doing the bulk of the breeding.
When one takes into account that a buck will spend probably 48-60 hours (maybe longer) with a single doe, it sort of puts "the rut window" into perspective.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Nice deer - 12/26/19

In a good year like this year most of our doe's have twins, when we did DNA TESTS on a lot the fawns we trapped about 10 years ago 94% of our twins had a different buck for their sire.

I have seen a dominate buck breed a doe and walk a little ways away and a another buck breed the same doe. makes ya think who's their daddy??

Rio7
Posted By: SKane Re: Nice deer - 12/27/19
Rio, those younger bucks are opportunistic buggers. laugh
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Nice deer - 12/27/19
SKane, Just like Horny teenagers. Rio7

Posted By: jwall Re: Nice deer - 12/27/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

That’s what I’ve heard. Kinda goes against what one would think.

Some contend that culling doesn’t help. Well, it makes me feel better to kill a mature buck with no future. At least there are 2-3 does he won’t breed. May not help, IMO, can’t hurt.

DF

I kill every adult (mature) buck with inferior, odd shaped, mis matched racks I get the chance.
Like D F said, it can't hurt....makes me feel better.

The People that think culling doe's not work, are the people that don't cull hard enough. Rio7

That's what I think !

Jerry
© 24hourcampfire