Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I guess I could understand that then. How many does do you think one buck breeds per season? Serious question. Living where you do on a ranch you would probably have a very informative answer.

Was recently at deer camp reading some deer biology book by one of the big deer biologists. Believe it was Larry W or could have been kroll. Said typicall 3/4 does a season, as typically a buck will stay with a doe and breed her for 2-3 days. I was kinda surpised it was that low.

GB1

R
RIO7 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
KevinJ, We feel that we are lucky if our really nice bucks breed 2 or 3 doe's per season, many people think our deer are pen raised or pet deer nothing could farther from the truth, they are as wild as any deer you have ever seen, we keep about 30 trail camera's working at water holes and protien feeders, from Aug. to March, I have looked at over 100,00 pictures so far this year, and we still kill bucks that we have never seen on camera, we have a total of 64 water tanks or ponds as some people call them, we move camera's about every 2 weeks, some times we will see a buck in one place then 2 day's later he will be 20 miles from were we saw him the last time, they will move long distance's late in the rut looking for hot doe's, I have a water tank and protien feed 100 yrds from the back door of my house and I get suprised every year by what shows up here.

Hope this answer's part of your Question's. Rio7

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for the reply. Not surprised at how far they will move during the rut. Buck we killed this year in Ohio was on camera 7 miles away all summer before showing up late October on us. Kinda crazy isn’t it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RIO7
We feel that we are lucky if our really nice bucks breed 2 or 3 doe's per season...

Wow, I'd have never guessed that. For whatever reason I'd have guessed much higher.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by skeen
We feel that we are lucky if our really nice bucks breed 2 or 3 doe's per season...

Wow, I'd have never guessed that. For whatever reason I'd have guessed much higher.

That’s what I’ve heard. Kinda goes against what one would think.

Some contend that culling doesn’t help. Well, it makes me feel better to kill a mature buck with no future. At least there are 2-3 does he won’t breed. May not help, IMO, can’t hurt.

DF

IC B2

R
RIO7 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

The People that think culling doe's not work, are the people that don't cull hard enough. Rio7

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

The People that think culling does not work, are the people that don't cull hard enough. Rio7

Agree. Dead, sorry buck don’t breed. Live, good ones do. The fact that bucks breed just a few does, aren’t herd animals like elk, factor into their hypothesis.

IIRC that was Quality Deer Mgt wisdom. They had a property with various mgt options regarding culling. Concluded there was no difference in outcome.

The difference may be subtle, but killing a cull means there are a couple of does he won’t breed. They say it doesn’t help; I say it can’t hurt. Makes me feel better.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

The People that think culling does not work, are the people that don't cull hard enough. Rio7

Agree. Dead, sorry buck don’t breed. Live, good ones do. The fact that bucks breed just a few does, aren’t herd animals like elk, factor into their hypothesis.

IIRC that was Quality Deer Mgt wisdom. They had a property with various mgt options regarding culling. Concluded there was no difference in outcome.

The difference may be subtle, but killing a cull means there are a couple of does he won’t breed. They say it doesn’t help; I say it can’t hurt. Makes me feel better.

DF

Hmm, it would seem to me that's an argument against statewide APRs, yes?

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Maybe Coues breed more aggressively. I read somewhere that here in AZ whether the buck to doe ratio is 1:1 or 1:10, all the does get bred, fwiw.

Calvin Coolidge had a very low post count too.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by crockettinaz
Maybe Coues breed more aggressively. I read somewhere that here in AZ whether the buck to doe ratio is 1:1 or 1:10, all the does get bred, fwiw.

They must be more like an antelope in that regard.

DF

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by mudhen
I'd give him at least another year, but that's just me. grin

Yep. Longer tines would put him in the world class category and supplemental feeding on a large controlled ranch could easily do it.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We feel that we are lucky if our really nice bucks breed 2 or 3 doe's per season

This will surprise a lot of folks as many think a super-buck or two in an area is/are doing the bulk of the breeding.
When one takes into account that a buck will spend probably 48-60 hours (maybe longer) with a single doe, it sort of puts "the rut window" into perspective.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
RIO7 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

In a good year like this year most of our doe's have twins, when we did DNA TESTS on a lot the fawns we trapped about 10 years ago 94% of our twins had a different buck for their sire.

I have seen a dominate buck breed a doe and walk a little ways away and a another buck breed the same doe. makes ya think who's their daddy??

Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rio, those younger bucks are opportunistic buggers. laugh

WWP53D
R
RIO7 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
SKane, Just like Horny teenagers. Rio7

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

That’s what I’ve heard. Kinda goes against what one would think.

Some contend that culling doesn’t help. Well, it makes me feel better to kill a mature buck with no future. At least there are 2-3 does he won’t breed. May not help, IMO, can’t hurt.

DF

I kill every adult (mature) buck with inferior, odd shaped, mis matched racks I get the chance.
Like D F said, it can't hurt....makes me feel better.

The People that think culling doe's not work, are the people that don't cull hard enough. Rio7

That's what I think !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (8MMX57JS, Akhutr, ak_Rick, 9 invisible), 921 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,101
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.