Home
Posted By: RAS Legend of Thunder Canyon - 01/25/20
All:

If any of you enjoy hunting the big northern woods, I think you will enjoy this two part video series about a determined hunter. About 40 mins total between the two videos. I don’t live far from this area.

I think this type of deer hunting and the hunters who pursue it, are exceptional because of the amount of physical effort and determination it takes.

Hope you enjoy.

Part 1

Posted By: RAS Re: Legend of Thunder Canyon - 01/25/20
Part Two

Posted By: GregW Re: Legend of Thunder Canyon - 01/25/20
Good stuff....
Posted By: wink_man Re: Legend of Thunder Canyon - 01/25/20
An enjoyable watch, both vids. I've hunted similar areas in the Catskills of NY, Mombaccus Mountain, Slide Mountain and Peekamoose. Lots of woods, mostly mature hardwoods and wolf oaks, and very few deer, tough hunting indeed.
Posted By: RAS Re: Legend of Thunder Canyon - 01/25/20
Originally Posted by wink_man
An enjoyable watch, both vids. I've hunted similar areas in the Catskills of NY, Mombaccus Mountain, Slide Mountain and Peekamoose. Lots of woods, mostly mature hardwoods and wolf oaks, and very few deer, tough hunting indeed.

I hunted in the Minnewaska Mountains in Ulster County NY. That area is the closet to the UP that I have seen outside of Michigan.

I killed a 154 inch, 220 pound 11 point up there in 2004. It was one of those mountain monsters. Love that area.
Posted By: SKane Re: Legend of Thunder Canyon - 01/25/20
That's pretty cool - well earned buck for sure.
Looks like he's had numerous bouts with that scope ocular. laugh

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: wink_man Re: Legend of Thunder Canyon - 01/25/20
Originally Posted by RAS

I hunted in the Minnewaska Mountains in Ulster County NY. That area is the closet to the UP that I have seen outside of Michigan.

I killed a 154 inch, 220 pound 11 point up there in 2004. It was one of those mountain monsters. Love that area.

I agree with you there RAS, first thing that came to mind when I saw the panoramic views of the country out there on the video was that it looked identical to Ulster county.

Great deer you got there, congrats !!! That's the way it seems to happen there, you generally see nothing at all, and a great one every now and them, real tough hunting. Without knowing you and just knowing that country easy to see that you definitely earned that buck !!!!!!
Posted By: OttoG Re: Legend of Thunder Canyon - 01/26/20
Really enjoyed that
Posted By: dukxdog Re: Legend of Thunder Canyon - 01/26/20
Great story! Enjoyed his tale and enthusiasm and success.
Posted By: RAS Re: Legend of Thunder Canyon - 01/26/20
I really enjoyed it as well. There are a few good lessons in this video for young hunters.

I respect hunters who show great enthusiasm in low success, difficult environments, and succeed.
Great story RAS. You Yoopers really have a state treasure in that Discovering show. I watch it every chance I get. I love to hear stories like this. Even if he wasn't hunting with a 99!
Posted By: bwinters Re: Legend of Thunder Canyon - 01/28/20
Great videos. I've hunted a few places that - Adirondacks, east Tennessee.

I killed a beautiful mountain 8 pt 5-6 years ago in east Tennessee. I found one side of his shed the spring before and ran into him running a doe on opening day of gun season the following year. I dragged that deer 1.5 miles off that mountain, down 1000 vertical feet to my truck. Shot him at 8, pulled into my driveway at 2:00. Never again will I bring a deer out whole like that.
Posted By: CRS Re: Legend of Thunder Canyon - 01/28/20
Great story, thanks for sharing.
Great story!
Posted By: Judman Re: Legend of Thunder Canyon - 01/28/20
Cool deer, love how he lays out flat! Grats
© 24hourcampfire