Home
Posted By: RickyBobby 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/07/20
While I do reload some I’ve recently been on the search for a factory ammo that my rifle likes. I have tried more than a dozen or so different manufacturers and different weight bullets and have landed on 2 that my particular rifle tends to like and both are a 150gr bullet. They are the Hornady American Whitetail and the Federal Fusions and both shoot equally well. Which ammo would you go with for Mule deer from close range distances out to say 350 or 400yds? Or do you think difference would be unnoticed?
Posted By: mathman Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/07/20
Flip a coin. Both have been fine for the factory ammo shooters at my deer camp.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/07/20
I've shot multiple deer with both. No issues.

I prefer the American whitetail over the fusions. Based on nothing other than my preference.

-Jake
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/07/20
Can’t go wrong with either bullet. I’d shoot a couple groups with each load at 400 and pick one.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/07/20
In my area at least, American Whitetail ammo is easier to find, in my handloads Hornady bullets have performed well on whitetails that I have harvested. I don't have any experience using Federal ammo on deer, if other posters have had success it sounds as though it's a matter of individual preference.
Posted By: boliep Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/07/20

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...deral-fusion-ammo-anyone-using-it#UNREAD
Posted By: Oheremicus Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/07/20
My experience with factory 06 ammo is that, sometimes different lots of the same load will shoot to a different zero. So, if you want to hit a buck at 400 yds., I'd make sure I know where that load shot at 400 as well as 100. E
Posted By: okie john Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/07/20
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
While I do reload some I’ve recently been on the search for a factory ammo that my rifle likes. I have tried more than a dozen or so different manufacturers and different weight bullets and have landed on 2 that my particular rifle tends to like and both are a 150gr bullet. They are the Hornady American Whitetail and the Federal Fusions and both shoot equally well. Which ammo would you go with for Mule deer from close range distances out to say 350 or 400yds? Or do you think difference would be unnoticed?

I've been doing the same thing using several rifles over the last few years. Most cheap factory loads are around 1.5 MOA and 50-75 fps below advertised velocity in most rifles, but most rifles will shoot one or two of them exceptionally well.

I had an FN Mauser that averaged 1 MOA and exactly 2,700 fps with 180-grain Winchester Power Points. That load was about 1.8 MOA in a Tikka T3x, but that rifle 1 MOA and 2,690 with 180-grain Federal Power Shok and even better with the 150-grain Federal Power Shok. My current Model 70 does that with plain old Remington CoreLokt 165- and 180-grain loads. They're also cheap and I can find them almost anywhere, so they would be my choice for that rifle right now.

In terms of terminal ballistics, almost any factory 30-06 load would be fine for the shots you describe if your rifle shoots them well and if you know your drops. 30-06 factory ammo is so good that I've stopped looking for good loads and started looking for bad ones.

Okie John
Posted By: rickt300 Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/07/20
Well if it would shoot 150 grain Power Points that is another excellent factory load. Easy to find and I like the quality control better than what Remington does with their Corelokt line.
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/07/20
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
My experience with factory 06 ammo is that, sometimes different lots of the same load will shoot to a different zero. So, if you want to hit a buck at 400 yds., I'd make sure I know where that load shot at 400 as well as 100. E

Yes ... I will have to agree with you on this. Lot to lot can definitely have a different point of impact! I always check my rifle and where it’s hitting when moving into a different lot. I have had to make scope adjustments on multiple occasions.
My go to factory load for my old Mauser has always ended up being the Federal Premium 165 gr. BTSP Sierra Game King rounds. Never had a deer walk away from this one. It's scary accurate out of this old sporterized infantry rifle.
Posted By: Dobegrant Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/12/20
Have used both with very good success
Posted By: domit Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/12/20
165 gr federal trophy bonded bear claw tipped is outstanding in both of my 3006. under 1. always. drt on deer and in and out out on black bear. usually right on in velocity listed. my barrels are 23.5 inch. I stoped loading hunting loads for them it is so good. the nosler 165 b-tip is also great for deer east and west. don't rember the last time I had to shoot twice. good luck in your quest and God bless, D O M I T !
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/12/20
I don’t think you can go wrong with either of those. I’ve used 165 fusions and had 0 problems. Interlokts are great bullets also. I doubt you’ll see much difference in performance
Posted By: Dre Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/12/20
I’ve shot Winchester deer season out to 400 and it was MOA. But that was in my 270. So I bought box in 06, but haven’t shot them yet. I know, I’m sorry it’s no help.
But I’m not really a fan of 150 cup and core in 30 cal. They also have their copper version now and reasonably priced.
If cup and core I’d go 165/8
Posted By: pacecars Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/12/20
I have found that good old cheap Remington 150 gr Core Lokt has always shot well for me and worked on deer out to a little over 400 yds. I don’t think you need a premium bullet for deer unless you just want to use one
Posted By: WStrayer Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/12/20
For a deer as large as the mule deer, I would try to find something in a 180 grain load that the gun likes.
Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/12/20
I second the Federal Premium 165 gr Game Kings
Posted By: szihn Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/12/20
For deer, between the 2 loads you list there will be NO difference in how well they work .
Flip a coin or buy which ever is least expensive so you can shoot more for the same money.

In my experience a 150 grain 30-06 with a bullet that holds together will break bone and exit elk about 1/2 of the time . Hit right ,elk fall to them all the time. Those that don't exit make it to the far side and are under the skin in most cases.
Elk are WAY larger and tougher then deer. So it's it's OK for elk, deer are NOT going to give you any problems. Of those 2 the Hornady is likely to break up a bit more, but I have doubts you'll keep one in a deer even with some weight loss.
Bullet HOLES are what kill. Once you get a good size hole that goes clear through, nothing more can be done for that bullet's performance ,so the details past that point mean exactly ZIP. If you get straight through penetration with good expansion you've gotten all "kill" that bullet can give you.
I think both those you list will do that for you.
Posted By: hanco Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/12/20
Originally Posted by domit
165 gr federal trophy bonded bear claw tipped is outstanding in both of my 3006. under 1. always. drt on deer and in and out out on black bear. usually right on in velocity listed. my barrels are 23.5 inch. I stoped loading hunting loads for them it is so good. the nosler 165 b-tip is also great for deer east and west. don't rember the last time I had to shoot twice. good luck in your quest and God bless, D O M I T !

If I shot factory ammo, I’d buy this.
Posted By: murkydismal Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/13/20
I have found Federal blue box often shoots better, and in multiple cartridges, than handloads, and would NOT hesitate to use it on deer/antelope near or far.

Also FWIW, all the Federal blue box, as well as Premium, chronographs right at advertised velocities.

Hornady American Whitetail not so much, routinely slower by up to 150 fps.
Posted By: DollarShort Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/15/20
I'd try some of them shiny chrome and black Winchesters
Posted By: buffybr Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by WStrayer
For a deer as large as the mule deer, I would try to find something in a 180 grain load that the gun likes.

There isn't a mule deer alive that any .30-06 cup and core 150 grain hunting bullet from any of the major ammunition companies wouldn't kill, when placed properly placed. Find one that your rifle likes, put it just behind the deer's shoulder, and enjoy your venison. Don't over think it.
That is for sure buffybr!!
That is for sure buffybr!!
Posted By: roninflag Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/25/20
you do not say what rifle. I have several 30-06s. I doubt you can find one that shoots better than this ammo. https://thecmp.org/cmp-offers-high-quality-30-06-ammo-from-creedmoor-sports/ . the scenar has been praised in other threads. only way 6o know is to try it . but any 165 grain game bullet is a great one. ron
Posted By: Hastings Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/25/20
Originally Posted by gophergunner
My go to factory load for my old Mauser has always ended up being the Federal Premium 165 gr. BTSP Sierra Game King rounds. Never had a deer walk away from this one. It's scary accurate out of this old sporterized infantry rifle.
I used that for years in .30-06 also and killed deer very well with it out to 300+ yards, but also have had really good accuracy out of Hornady factory loads, and believe it or not Remington Corlokt, all in 165 grain. Of late I've taken to using 180 SST or Speer Hotcor 180 RN handloads with 58.5 grains of H4831. We were running into some pretty hefty hogs on our rounds and I just stepped up a little in bullet weight. Probably wasn't necessary.
Posted By: okie john Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/25/20
Originally Posted by roninflag
you do not say what rifle. I have several 30-06s. I doubt you can find one that shoots better than this ammo. https://thecmp.org/cmp-offers-high-quality-30-06-ammo-from-creedmoor-sports/ . the scenar has been praised in other threads. but with out trying it . but any 165 grain game bullet is a great one. ron

Looks like they don't offer that any more. Too bad, I'd try a couple of hundred rounds.

Okie John
Posted By: roninflag Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 04/25/20
Okie John - Darn I do not see it for sale now. RickyBobby- I have quite few 30-06s. some are accurate enough to shoot a mule deer at 400 . with the load they like. I use lapua brass, 210m, and varget with several 165, 167 and 168 hunting bullets. very liitle experience with factory ammo.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 05/04/20

That has been the most consistent factory ammo in several different 30-06s for me over the years. Taken whitetail from 20-200 yards (very few true long shots where I hunt) with it and bullet performance has been great.
Posted By: Filaman Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 05/07/20

Dude I've been preaching Game Kings for years and so many people up their nose at it like they're the plague. Forty years of one shot DRT kills tells me different. Whether they're store bought loads or out of my own loading kitchen, they're killers of Deer.
Originally Posted by Filaman

Dude I've been preaching Game Kings for years and so many people up their nose at it like they're the plague. Forty years of one shot DRT kills tells me different. Whether they're store bought loads or out of my own loading kitchen, they're killers of Deer.

No it probably wasn't. Whatever kills a deer is more than deadly enough for hogs. Around here the .223 rules for hogs. They die rather easily. Hit 'em in the neck dude!

No it probably wasn't. Whatever kills a deer is more than deadly enough for hogs. Around here the .223 rules for hogs. They die rather easily. Hit 'em in the neck dude!

Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by WStrayer

There isn't a mule deer alive that any .30-06 cup and core 150 grain hunting bullet from any of the major ammunition companies wouldn't kill, when placed properly placed. Find one that your rifle likes, put it just behind the deer's shoulder, and enjoy your venison. Don't over think it.

No truer words were ever spoken or typed. And I've found that to be extra true with Game Kings.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 05/09/20

165gr gamekings are my go to deer bullet in 30 caliber as well. Worked wonders in my 308s and 30-06s over the years.
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 05/09/20
Factory fodder from my 3006 subalpine. High foul shot 3 well under MOA at 100 yards.

Attached picture 65849AFA-0BF2-4218-87EB-BDF1A135583B.jpeg
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 05/10/20
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
Factory fodder from my 3006 subalpine. High foul shot 3 well under MOA at 100 yards.

Maybe this is better. I use the sling on the bench, as you see here, it really helps me control the “jump.”

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: StrayDog Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Can’t go wrong with either bullet. I’d shoot a couple groups with each load at 400 and pick one.

This.

A five shot group with each into 400 yard targets and most likely they will no longer be equal. Probably far from equal.
The best thing about the 30-06 for deer is it is powerful enough that proper shot placement doesn't matter nearly as much. it doesn't matter the bullet either which is a huge plus! there is zero reason to use anything smaller on deer sized game. period. One need only look at the .223/.243 for deer threads to verify these facts.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
The best thing about the 30-06 for deer is it is powerful enough that proper shot placement doesn't matter nearly as much. it doesn't matter the bullet either which is a huge plus! there is zero reason to use anything smaller on deer sized game. period. One need only look at the .223/.243 for deer threads to verify these facts.

You may be under estimating shot placement.

I’ve seen a WT run a long way, blasted by a 26 Nosler. (Not mine, my bud’s).

Can’t buy your premise, bullets don’t matter as much.

Respectfully disagree on both accounts, although I think I understand what you’re trying to say.

DF
Posted By: pete53 Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 05/29/20
factory ammo for me shoots ok, but as a loony this year i will reload some 30-06 ammo to bear hunt with this fall in my pre 64 model 70 Winchester that i inherited from a dear old friend who killed plenty deer in the old days with this neat old rifle,probably load 180 gr. Nosler Partitions for the bear hunt.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by murkydismal
I have found Federal blue box often shoots better, and in multiple cartridges, than handloads, and would NOT hesitate to use it on deer/antelope near or far.

Also FWIW, all the Federal blue box, as well as Premium, chronographs right at advertised velocities.

Hornady American Whitetail not so much, routinely slower by up to 150 fps.

This has been my experience as well.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 05/30/20
I have had several people out here on my range shooting the Hornady ammo. I have not seen a rifle yet that does not shoot it well. I traded for a .270 (cough) awhile back and it shoots American Whitetail so well, that I have really no reason to load for it. I like Hornady bullets (except the old SST) and their ammo. I have never had an Interlock fail to kill what I was shooting at. I have killed well over 200 deer and most were shot with Hornady Interlocks in several different calibers.

I have a 30-06 that loves the 150 Interlocks at 3000 fps-but the deer don't!

Posted By: EIB0879 Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 05/30/20
Barnes Vor-TX 180 gr is a good load but pricey. My favorite load is the Rem Hog Hammer 168 gr Barnes TSX bullet.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 05/30/20
A 30-06 with factory ammo is not much fun for a reloader, actually quite boring.
Posted By: Filaman Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 05/30/20
Most any factory stuff shoots real good in an 06. But then again about everything shoots good in an 06 because it's a hammer. I shoot 200 grain SGKs in my Rem. Model 700. It's a hog hammer from hell.

Bring on those panzy ass Crudmoors and such. The 06 will out shine them all.
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 05/31/20
Originally Posted by Reloder28
A 30-06 with factory ammo is not much fun for a reloader, actually quite boring.

I bought a case of 180gr Fed Premium Nosler solid base ammo here ~ 12 years or so ago. I still have 5-6 boxes left - it shoots MOA in every 06 I’ve owned, #1, 700Ti, and Kimber Subalpine. Don’t fix what’s not broken. That said I just loaded 150gr TTSX to try out, just because I had the dies and brass. 🤪. Oh it was $100 shipped.i can’t reload if for that.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 06/01/20
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I have killed well over 200 deer and most were shot with Hornady Interlocks in several different calibers.

I have a 30-06 that loves the 150 Interlocks at 3000 fps-but the deer don't!

I'm very curious about what percentage of the 150s were pass-throughs?
Thanks
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 06/07/20
Remington Core Lokt 165’s shoot well under 1” in my 1957 Featherweight 30-06. Knocks’m right in the cooler...

Posted By: Hammerdown Re: 30-06 and factory ammo - 06/07/20
Great photo.
© 24hourcampfire