Home
I am constantly cutting my fingers on the loading port on my Marlin 1895. It is razor sharp, and I've often cut my fingers while shoving 45-70 shells into the port. The opening in the port on the receiver is really sharp. Last weekend while hunting the last season gun season, I actually ripped a chuck a meat out of my finger. Bled like a stuck hog. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Someone here mentioned that IIRC, on one of the 1894s.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...5/new-ruger-made-marlin-357#Post19007895
What vintage 1895? My Ruger/Marlin 1895 Trapper has smooth edges. The finish on the Trapper models is a bead blast so maybe the polished ones have sharper edges? My '70s vintage 1895 has sharper edges but not cut-your-fingers sharp.
The new 1894 ejection port is utility knife sharp. Been there and done that. I don't stick my fingers in there now. An empty chamber indicator works well for that if I need to go digging.
Sound like you need to work on it. I would not have used it at all after finding the problem. Marlins are the easiest to take apart for things like that.
Reading around, that seems to be a common issue.
Yes Sir, that's what I'm finding.
Lay on side, push loading gate down with pencil or equivalent,
Stroke loading port edge with Fine round file.
Touch up with blueing pen.
My used 1895 was sharp also,
I assume the thin to begin with edge, gets a bit sharper after years of brass being stroked against it when being loaded.
Nothing a file can't fix
Thanks. That's exactly what I've been thinking on doing.
Originally Posted by moosemike
Nothing a file can't fix

You'd think Ruger could afford a fugking file.
It's a Marlin, not a Ruger!
I haave a Marlin 1895 45-70 guide gun. My loading gate isn't sharp but after two shells are loaded in the tube it becomes difficult to load the rest of the rounds. I spoke to a gunsmith I knew and he made me a loading helper that looks similar to a ball starter for a muzzle loader on his lathe. It works like a charm to make it easier. Maybe this would help your situation.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I've thought of using something like that. Maybe a dowel rod? Sure would save the fingers.
I would make it out of hard durable plastic stock of some kind. You can see on the photo that the rod I use is knicked up pretty good. I don't know how well wood would hold up
© 24hourcampfire