Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Sweets Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Picked one up today. Was thrilled as I've been waiting for them to release them and didn't know they did. I almost passed thinking it was a 44mag. I really want to like this....I REALLY do, so I want to give it a chance. Here's my first take. Got it home and loaded 5 357 flat nose soft point 158gr. Wanted to see how it would cycle. IT DIDNT. Jammed up tight on first stroke! Had to take it all apart. The edges are razor sharp, so I'm typing this with band aids on my fingers. Lol. Get it all back together, seems to function, feed and eject just fine. Then I noticed the rear sight just flops around. Will figure out what to do with that, but for just shy of $1300, I expected better. Like I said, I REALLY want to like it, and I most likely will but,COME ON RUGER!!!!!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why in the living fugk would you expect anything else from Ruger? It's a damn Ruger.

S
Sweets Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have and had several rugers that were built like tanks. This is disappointing. Upon further review I have found the rear sight elevator is completely missing. RUGER/MARLIN will be getting a call tomorrow.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Sweets
The edges are razor sharp, so I'm typing this with band aids on my fingers.

I experienced the same exact issue with a new 1894 .44 Mag. You better not stick your finger in the receiver or you'll be dripping with blood. This was a result of double-feeding.

S
Sweets Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
You got that right. I'll see what they have to say when I call today. Need to get that sight elevator that happened to leave the factory without. Overall the gun is beautiful, nice walnut ect. I'm still wanting to like it. Did you/are you going to do anything about the sharp edges? You can PM me if you'd rather.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've never owned a ruger that didn't need some sort of modification for reliability or to suit my needs. Nothing new here.......and I own a pile or crude rugeroni rubbish. Big ruger fan, but these cheap cock-suckers couldn't fit/finish their way out of a brown paper bag.

An entire multi-million dollar aftermarket industry has been created, to help consumers un-fk their rugeronis.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 12/13/23.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'd be going back to the store that sold it.can they not inspect anything before putting it on the shelf?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Sweets Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Went back to dealer and swapped it for another. This one is worse!!!!! Jammed, fails the eject randomly, ect. Het at least this one had a complete rear sight. It's also going back. I'm afraid this is what we have in our manufacturing now......pure [bleep]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lolololololol.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Soooo, Henry?

IMO, if Winchester would market their levers at under a grand, they’d own the market. This limited run bullchit is just a collectors market.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I predicted Ruger would put out a pile of shyt with the Marlin name stamped on it. They put out a pile of shyt with the Ruger name on it. I have no reason to believe it will be any different when they stamp them with the Marlin name.

S
Sweets Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by viking
Soooo, Henry?

IMO, if Winchester would market their levers at under a grand, they’d own the market. This limited run bullchit is just a collectors market.

I agree about Winchester. No henry for me. They just don't fit me. We will see what happens with the marlins. I'm holding faithfully they will make it right.

S
Sweets Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I predicted Ruger would put out a pile of shyt with the Marlin name stamped on it. They put out a pile of shyt with the Ruger name on it. I have no reason to believe it will be any different when they stamp them with the Marlin name.

It's a damn shame. Made in USA used to mean something.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Dang Sweets. I hate the hear this. If they put half they attention into QC that they did into aesthetics, they'd really have something. The looks absolutely sold me upon sight when I saw the new 44 Mag.

S
Sweets Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by devnull
Dang Sweets. I hate the hear this. If they put half they attention into QC that they did into aesthetics, they'd really have something. The looks absolutely sold me upon sight when I saw the new 44 Mag.

Totally agree. It stopped me in my tracks. Picked it up and couldn't put it down. It's on its way back. Maybe I'm just a big sucker, but I'm giving them a chance.

Last edited by Sweets; 12/14/23.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sounds like Rossi has better QC😆

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by viking
Sounds like Rossi has better QC😆

Well, Rossi does have the advantage of having made the same design since something like the 1920s. They know how to make it work.

It seems like making pistol caliber levers is a chore that goes far beyond making and assembling parts. Remington and now Ruger lost a lot of expertise and institutional knowledge when they moved the operation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I keep trying Ruger rifles and pistols, hoping that they will be nice. I have had three good experiences with them. When I had an FFL in the 70's, I bought and sold maybe a dozen SBH's. I kept the most accurate one. I bought for a friend an early 77 in 280 with a heavy barrel and it was accurate. I bought a semi-auto 9mm that was OK for what it was designed for, self-protection, certainly not a hunting piece - my son wanted it for a gift for his bride. But that was the only decent Ruger's I've owned.
One's that didn't work out so well, early and a later style 44 mag semi-auto, a couple Ruger #1's, and a few 77's. I had another #1 in 280, but I sold it before I got a chance to test it - who knows it might have been a good one???

I thought Ruger was looking for a quality control guy a while back (25 or more years ago), they may not have found anyone, I don't know. I keep reading about good ones, I've just not been lucky, I guess.

I have a couple Remington Marlins and I'm very pleased with them and I read a lot of bashing of those. With them I've been lucky, I guess. I think they are at least as good as the JM Marlins I own.

I'm hoping to see people in this forum say they like the new Ruger Marlins. I'm sure there has to be some. One thing I'm sure of, I'll never again buy another used Ruger, unless I can try it out first.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I picked up a new 44 this week. So far no complaints. Fired some mild 44 mag loads with 240 LSWC a few days ago. No jams and promising accuracy. I’m putting some skinner sights on it. Put together some loads for it today with 240 xtp and 240 LSWC and 240 LPHP.

I’ll run them over the chrono and group them soon.

I’m smitten with rifle so far. Very pretty and blueing seems indistinguishable from my JM 336. The wood is some of the nicest in my safe.

Did have some sharp edges. The action seemed a little rough but has slickend up as I continue to cycle the action. I think it’s going to be a very nice and fun rifle to shoot and hunt with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like the OP needs lessons in tabletop gunsmithing.

Always take them completely apart and polish the innards.

(Go ahead...bring your Mommy into the discussion.)

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (12344mag, 260Remguy, 338rcm, 300_savage, 219DW, 1lesfox, 51 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,619
Posts18,473,992
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.