Home
Posted By: Kodiakisland Leupold 2.5X on guide gun - 05/01/09
I'm thinking of replacing my receiver sight with a Leupold 2.5X20 ultralight scope. I really don't like scopes on lever actions, and won't put one on my 30-30 or 32-20, but the eyes aren't what they once were and I think I'd use the gun more if it was scoped.

Anyone used this scope on the guide gun and had any issues with it?
Not a guide gun, but I've got a Burris Scout Scope on my 1895 Marlin. Love it, and it allows me to keep the reciever sight intact for a back-up.
Exactly the reason I put one on my Century Limited III. Scope on a octogonal barrel lever action, blasphemy! But I shoot better with it. I put quick detach weaver mounts so I can look at the rifle without the scope. No issues, works just fine.
I have both the Leupold Ultralight 2.5x on my 336 SDT and a Older Burris 4x Mini on my 39 Mountie. Also own a VXIII 1.5x5 Leupold that is on a Rem 7600 carbine and lived on my 45-70 Co-Pilot while I had it. All are very nice scopes in my opinion. The Burris Mini's are a great value in my opinion as the price (only available used) is well under 1/2 the Leupold 2.5x . Both are crisp and clear with the Leupold VXIII being a good bit better and quite versatile and all work quite well on any rifle I have had them on...

I need a finer aiming point than I can get with open sights over say 50 yards...

Patty
I have used the scope in question on many Marlins over the years. You don't get any lighter and more compact that the Leupold 2.5X. They are wonderful scopes for a hard kicking 45-70. The only downside I can see is that these scopes are not the best for load development or sighting in your rifle at 100 yds or more. They do offer all the magnification you will need for any shot within the 45-70's range. I highly recommend them.

Here my hunting buddy Marlin 45-70 custom with a Burris scout scope, nothing bad to say about this "team". Precise, fast on target and old well the recoil of the stout 405grs loads.
Marseille
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rattler Re: Leupold 2.5X on guide gun - 05/15/09
i had a Leupold 1-4x20 on mine for awhile......worked good.....would think the 2.5x would work just fine
After trying a few different scopes on my Guide Gun, I settled on a Leupold 3X. Works just fine.
Marseille

That's quite a brake on the Guide Gun.

Yes that a " brake" really noisy on the shooting range or when you're in small creek surround by rocks or near a cliff but a real recoil tamer even with 405grs Hawks bullets at 560m/s (1850fps). It's not a stainless Marlin, it's a blued one totaly polished and finely sand blasted, custom made by a french gunsmith near Paris. My friend use it whit 3 sights system depending on his mood, terrain, cover and game hunted: scout scope, red dot sight or ghost ring. Last season took 7 boars and one roe in 8 shots.
Posted By: jimdgc Re: Leupold 2.5X on guide gun - 05/15/09
I have one with a FXII 2.5 IER mounted on the barrel. I was not too sure about it at first, but after I got use to it I have to admit it works really well. No doubt a receiver mounted 2.5X would work.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Leupold 2.5X on guide gun - 05/16/09
I can understand your need, as we get older our eye's too lack the ability to show us the way, as well as when we were younger.
I put a Leupold 2 x 7 x 42mm power variable on my 1895 Marlin 444 caliber, this lever action I use more than my 45/70 and I just very well may do the same to it also.
I haven't shot my GG since mounting the scope, but it sure looks good IMO....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GuyM Re: Leupold 2.5X on guide gun - 05/17/09
[Linked Image]

The little 2.5x Leupold is a great choice for the 1895 Marlin, or the stubbier Guide Gun version. Lightweight. Great field of view. Fine little scope for real-world hunting! Found mine used for $125 at the gun shop.
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Marseille

That's quite a brake on the Guide Gun.

Heckola, I thought it was a cartridge carrier...grin

Brakes are for trucks... grin

Dober

Hi, know it's a big thing but with it we can shoot all the afternoon without shoulder or neck problem pushing 405grs at more than 1800fps or 350 at 2050fps. Just need a very very good Peltor for earing protection.
About trucks and brake i know a little, i began 25 years ago with an old Mack F700, bigger than your pick up for sure, and trucking all Europe around. And yes it was in France, i drove also International and Ford 9000 in Canada...
[Linked Image]
Have a good day.

It will work fine. I had a Leupy 2.5x on a 458 Lott for awhile which I sold with the rifle but it is near perfect for use on a GG. I have a Leup VXIII 1.5-5 with the heavy duplex on my GG now but if the guy I sold the Lott to hadn't wanted it I would have kept the little 2.5x for the GG.
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I'm thinking of replacing my receiver sight with a Leupold 2.5X20 ultralight scope. I really don't like scopes on lever actions, and won't put one on my 30-30 or 32-20, but the eyes aren't what they once were and I think I'd use the gun more if it was scoped.

Anyone used this scope on the guide gun and had any issues with it?
.................The 2.5x Leupy Ultralite would make a great choice. Also, the Burris scout scope as the pics by one poster shows. Either, will give you very fast both eyes open acquisition and aiming, but the only dis-advantage with the scout scopes, as I have used one, is their narrower FOV. As a conventioanl scope, the Leupy Ultralite is just as fast, but will give you more FOV than a scout scope and great eye relief of nearly 5"...
Posted By: one horn Re: Leupold 2.5X on guide gun - 07/26/09
I have a leupold compact 2.5x20 on my marlin outfitter. Works great and is mounted in low zee rings.
I had a cheap Simmons 2.5X on my GG for several years before I upgraded to the Burris Scout. I LOVED the way the scope looked, felt and worked on the gun. I routinely put 3 shots under an inch at 100 yards. I never had to re-zero even after a lot of full house handloads. Eye relief was very long, allowing me to stay well back on the stock and to shoot with both eyes open. I'd highly recommend a low power scope!
KI,

I do not have one on any lever action as I do not own any, but I do have one mounted on my custom small-ring Mauser 7x57. I used it for almost all my hunting last season and was much impressed. It can be mounted as low as you want, has super eye-relief, really good optics, and all this in a 6.5 ounce package! In my opinion, it would be hard to beat for the purpose you have in mind.

M Bell
Posted By: muledeer Re: Leupold 2.5X on guide gun - 07/28/09
I had a Leupold 2.5 on my Winchester 94 .444 Marlin for a while; I replaced it with a 3X and sold it. The 3X seemed to me to have much better field of view. They also have great eye relief, don't weigh much, and stand up to recoil superbly. As does the 2.5X, and if it works for someone it's a good scope. The out-of-production 4X Burris Mini I wouldn't recommend on anything bigger than a .22. I had one for a while, and they don't have enough eye relief for heavy-recoiling rifles. Mine was on a .257 Roberts, and that kicked enough to plant it in my face occasionally -- even in a low-recoil rifle.

Best thing to do is call and email Leupold and ask them to produce an FX II 3X grin.

Dennis
I have a Weaver 2.5 on my GG. It is the right power range for the gun. Buy it and be happy.
I opted for the Scout Scope setup

I don't care for lever actions with scopes, but that's just personal preference, they always reminded me of a cargo carrier on a two seater sports car. Functional yes, aesthetically pleasing NO at least to me.

but I couldn't tell what accuracy my GG was capable of w/out a scope
so I hooked up the Scout Scope with QD Leupold rings.

glad I did, that little rifle can shoot with loads it likes.

[Linked Image]

it works well for my intentions for that rifle, it's my boat, snowmachine knock around rifle. Goes on hunting trips as a tent rifle and serves as a backup for everyone along on the trip. I'm lh so it works for Rh'ers too. take the scope along and if someone's rifle or scope goes TU, we put the scope on it and resume hunting.

the scout scope on this rifle was a good compromise for me. YMMV
I like the 2.5 Weaver, 1x4 Leupold, the 3X Leupold, but my all time favorite is the now discomtinued 2.5X Leupold Alaskan with the smaller 7/8th inch tube..It is compact and really a nice scope, a copy of the old Lyman Alaskan but with a centered reticle.

For he life of me I don't know why they discontinued it in the 80s as I recall, guess it didn't sell..Today they bring a real premium if you can find one...
Posted By: kerr Re: Leupold 2.5X on guide gun - 08/04/09
Yep, I like the one 2.5X20MM I have . Its the best scope I have ever had. I am likeing the smaller tubes on my levers alot these days . They seem to fit about as good as any to me . I flat gotta have a scope now to hit anything or I would just go Ghost rings all the way.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire