Home
Can you guys recommend a quality shotgun for a fella who wants to get back into pheasants (and maybe some quail and chukar). Don't want multiple shotguns, just one quality, versatile shooter. And what guage to you recommend?

Thanks,

Jordan
AyA makes some fine side-bys that are expensive, but not when compared with equivalent guns by other continental makers. As far as guage goes, it depends a lot on whether you reload. If you do, go with a 16, if not, 12 has the most varieties of OTS ammo.

My $0.02 only,
An 870 Wingmaster seems to be by far the most popular, I myself like my Ithaca 37 Featherlight. If you want an autoloader, look at a Benelli or Beretta (I shoot a Beretta 391 myself), for doubles look at Berettas, Brownings, and some of the others from name brand manufacturers. I'd probably shy away from some of the cheapy imports though.

12 guage is always available at any store that remotely might sell some shotgun shells.

Originally Posted by RupertBear
AyA makes some fine side-bys that are expensive, but not when compared with equivalent guns by other continental makers.

+1
16ga SXS is (IMO) the best all around shotgun ever.
Lots of good factory fodder out there too, so don't let ammo availability sway you.

Second choice for allot less money would be a Red Label 20ga.

As usual,,, JMO
Double are expensive compared to a good pump or auto..After having tried all styles of shotguns, I prefer a good pump..reliable, rather inexpensive, and you can use all types of ammo in a newer model..My choice would be an 870, probably with a model 37 Ithaca second..Without a doubt a 12 is most versital..with steel required even in some upland areas, to me none of the other ga.s can compete..Plus you can get top quality 12 ga. shells for much less than other ga.s. As for a 16 it is a beautiful ga..but look at the stores and see the availability of ammo compared to others and the cost..to me for the one gun man a 12 is the way to go..We travel quite a bit, and I always take a shotgun..with 10's,12's20's, and 28's in the safe..I have my choice..It is far easier to put the old 870 field in the trailer and several boxes of ammo and the various chokes and be on my way..From gobblers to quail, it will handle it all with ease..
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Plus you can get top quality 12 ga. shells for much less than other ga.s. As for a 16 it is a beautiful ga..but look at the stores and see the availability of ammo compared to others and the cost..

I'm not so sure about that. I think most will agree that Fioche Golden Pheasant is about as good as it gets for hunting loads,and here's an example with the 16 actually being a few cents cheaper for a couple of different loads, and certainly no more for any of it.
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/def...p;sort=2a&filter_id_caliber=12+Gauge

Granted, the local hardware store in BF-Egypt might not have 16ga on the shelf, but it's doubtfull they'll have your load of choice either. That's probably why you throw a few boxes of ammo in the trailer along with the shotgun. I mean,, lets face it, as much as the internet comando's like to tout a certain cartrige (30/06, 12ga) because of ammo availability should you loose or leave yours at home, very few of us actually know someone that's been there/done that.
As for variable chokes,,, choke tubes in doubles isn't uncommon, but having two chokes available at the same time is impossible with pumps/auto's.
I'll keep my SXS's and leave the rattling pumps, and jamming autos to the rest.

Again,,, JMO (based on my very biased and narrow minded preferences smile )
While the "plus" of two chokes is often emphasized by double users, I have never found it of much use in hunting conditions..Playing games at turkey shoots yes, but in actually hunting no..Look at the great shotgunner, Major Charles Askins, he had doubles bored for the same choke because as I have found, most shots taken by hunters two chokes are of little advantage..I had doubles with screw in chokes..I found to be useful , they had to be pretty close ..As far as an Internet Comando, I have been hunting for more than 50 years..

And as far as Fioche Golden Pheasant ammo, it is pretty popular in trendy stores, I have tried it, it is expensive, the loads usually kick pretty solid, and didn't kill any more game than the good old WW 3 1/4-1 1/4 -5.s..But I guess looking cool is not that important to old hunters.

I know when I walk in to a store, and see almost no 16 ga. ammo on the shelves and bunches of 20 and 12 ga. ammo there..If you can't find you "load of choice" you can find something close..I have NEVER run out of ammo on any trip, as far as a rattling pumps,I will take them everytime over the snob s x s or o/u..The snob factor of certain shotguns is fine if you like that group..I have had all of them....But for me and millions of average guys the good old American pump gun does it all..
As far a "snob Hunters with their SXS's" goes, I've been shooting the same gun I bought USED over forty years ago so you can stuff that.
As far as "hunting more than fifty years" goes, so have I so you can stiuff that too.
As far as buying ammo at the "trendy" stores goes, I buy in bulk on-line and have never been STUPID enough to leave my ammo at home, so you can stuff that.
As far as choke tubes go, your theory about them only being usefull in pump guns is also stuffable although my Merkel has both barrels bored IC.
As far as the "comando" statementy goes, I said it toung in cheek and even posted one of those [bleep]-assed smilies so's not to hurt your sensative little feelings, so you can definatly stuff that.
Most of all though, you can stuff that huge chip on your shoulder.
Course, that's just my opinion. (Insert [bleep]-assed smiley here)
Normal smucks pick 12 guage, smart olf farts get 20 guage ultra lights and shot 3" shells that are lighter than a 12 guage and have the same amount of shot as a 12 guage but in a better shot distribution pattern.

Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Normal smucks pick 12 guage, smart olf farts get 20 guage ultra lights and shot 3" shells that are lighter than a 12 guage and have the same amount of shot as a 12 guage but in a better shot distribution pattern.

Agreed^
I'd pick a 20 over a 12 every time.
Matter of fact, the only scatter guns I own are a 16 and 20.
While the "plus" of two chokes is often emphasized by double users, I have never found it of much use in hunting conditions.

That is one of the reasons that I like a SxS; the instant option of two chokes. For example, A few weeks ago I was hunting Squaw Butte outside of Emmett, Idaho. I was getting into both valley quail and chukars. The quail were close shots and the chukars were getting up at 30 yards or more. Several times I took a chukar with the tight barrel (3 1/2 points of choke) and was immediately presented with close quail that I took with the open barrel (1 point of choke).

And, many years back, I had some Federal shells that had spent a winter in an unheated shed. Their performance was questionable at best. When the first shell went pfsst and left the wad in the barrel I was able to immediatly switch to the other, unobstructed, barrel. After the shot, I'd ram a piece of wire down the right barrel and clear the wad. What a pita that was.

For waterfowl, I use an 870 simply because I can dunk it in the bathtub and get the mud out of the action before I proceed with a proper cleaning.

Each gun has its place, but for an upland gunner who wants one gun, a twin-trigger SxS is hard to beat.

In the hands of someone that's practiced and knows how to utilize a 2 barrel-2 trigger gun, there's definitely advantages in some upland hunting situations. I'm thinking flushing birds like pheasants, chukars and huns in open country. Over my setter or springer I'll often put up a bird at 10 yards one time and 30 the next. I just go to what ever barrel seems right. Are they far superior to single barrel guns? No, but they do give you options.

I try not to get too wrapped up in chokes on my huntign guns.
My favourite gunis a Westley Richards that for some reason or other had been cut, then an extention and a decelerator put on it at a later date, and the barrels have been cut to 26 1/2" so both barrels are cylinder.
I also shoot FFG Goex out if it.
I also have a Greener that iis bored CYL/MOD. and it shoots very well .

Another gun I use , and the one I use most of all my smokeless guns is a Ugartechea in 28 that has IC/MOD barrels.

Last year the wife got me a 40th Anniversary O/U , F.A.I.R. in 16, I had those barrels bored IC/MOD as well, because I feel that they work well.

I often switch up chokes and shoot the close birds with the mod barrel and the longer ones with the IC.

If a person is only going to buy one specific gun , I suggest they get themselves to a range and take a very good look around, talk to as many shooters as they can , and ask them to see their guns, they will possibly let you shoot a round with them - I know i am pleased when someone asks me if they can use one of mine.
This will give you a far better idea on how to make your choice.

Opinions are like azzholes, and for every guy that says you need a 12 gauge for geese there will be another that uses a 20 with no problems, and for every guy that says "get a SXS for birds" there will be another that says "get an O/U" and he will be right next to a guy who loves his 37 Ithaca.
Personally over the years I have had a few FTF's ( a few of them on new guns) and it's nice to know that I have two triggers and two barrels in case one breaks for some reason
Cat
Fieldgrade, apparently you are the one with the chip and can't stand anyone with a different opinion..shoot the 16 if you like..it is a good ga. the guy wanted a gun for phesants and other birds..there is simply noway a young person starting out would be smart to buy a 16..the guns aren't available and neither is the ammo..he apparently was just beginning..With all the ammo and style of guns available in a 12, to me that is the logical place to start..When I am traveling, I stop in almost every gunshop I have the chance to..Seldom do I see a nice 16 on the wall..but 12's are everywhere and lots of 20's..Maybe smart guys picked them up, I don't know but they are tough to find...From the sounds of his post, he wasn't into buying an expensive gun..To get a decent double of quality, you going to spend more than you would for a good pump shotgun..
Asfar as gauge goes, the 20 is as good as any for pheasants and they usually come in a lighter frame than 12's.
Cat
cat, you are quite right..20's are fine..Just saw a redone model 31 Rem. in 20 ga. and the fit is perfect..but I have two nice 870 20's at home..I have used them and done very good work with them, but I never had the faith in a 20 that I do in my 12's..Faith is a great part of good shooting for me..
The gun in my avatar with the greater Canadas is a 20 O/U, super fast swinging gun ( 27" barrels), but you are right, if you have no faith in what you are shootng, you will likely not shoot it as well, and you will not ennjoy yourself as much either, and that is what it is all about, isn't it? :>)
Cat
Quite right..Do you have to use steel in Canada on waterfowl???
What is the make of o/u with 27 " barrels..That is a rather unusual length for barrels on a double..
Quite right..Do you have to use steel in Canada on waterfowl???
What is the make of o/u with 27 " barrels..That is a rather unusual length for barrels on a double..

The gun s a FAIR Safari 500 - basically an O/U expressgun gun in 6.5X55, with an accessory set of 20 gauge barrels The length is metrric actually, hence the strange length.
yes I use steel for waterfowl, but only in my modern guns, my vintage SXS guns get loaded with Nice shot and Bismuth.:>)
Cat
the guy wanted a gun for phesants and other birds..there is simply noway a young person starting out would be smart to buy a 16..the guns aren't available and neither is the ammo..he apparently was just beginning..

Really?????
Spin it any way you want to but the OP clearly said he wanted to "get back into" upland hunting.

""Can you guys recommend a quality shotgun for a fella who wants to get back into pheasants (and maybe some quail and chukar). Don't want multiple shotguns, just one quality, versatile shooter. And what guage to you recommend?""

I gave "My" opinion and my opinion only, which YOU immediatly launched an all out assault on, stating,,,

"" Plus you can get top quality 12 ga. shells for much less than other ga.s. As for a 16 it is a beautiful ga..but look at the stores and see the availability of ammo compared to others and the cost.."" and threw in the tired old 30/06-12ga at the local gas station mantra for good measure even though you later admit that you've never personally experienced this internet phenominum (sp?).

Then when I defended my choice by posting a link indicating that your cost assesment was incorrect,,, instead of replying to that statement, you fell back on name calling and condecending remarks akin to what politicians do when they can't back up their stance.

"" And as far as Fioche Golden Pheasant ammo, it is pretty popular in trendy stores,""
"" But looking cool is not that important to old hunters.""
And.
"" as far as a rattling pumps,I will take them everytime over the snob s x s or o/u..The snob factor of certain shotguns is fine if you like that group..""

Soooo,,,, you shoot your pump guns and I'll shoot my old 16GA SXS and my newer 16ga O/U (snob guns) and we'll both be happy.
I will however continue to recommend a 16 or 20 over a 12 due to the lighter weight (he did say "Upland" birds IIRC) wheather a shooters "new to" or "getting back into" hunting despite ammo availability whether precieved or real.
One thing I'm sure you will agree on though, is if said new hunter does forget/loose his shells he'll only do it once reguardess of ga.

cat, Nice Shot, is that a Canadian product??? Never saw it here in the U.S.
Nope, U.S. based and excellent stuff!
You can load right across using lead data until you reach about 15,000PSI IIRC.
Soft enough that you can squeeze it with pliars.
Cat
Thanks I will look into this for the areas that require notoxic stuff..
As much as I like doubles, a Mdl 391 Beretta 12ga is an awfully versatile gun.

I have an older Browning B-80, which is just the older Baretta 302 with a little hump, and I have hunted everything I hunt with a shotgun with that Browning.

The snob factor of certain shotguns is fine if you like that group..I have had all of them....But for me and millions of average guys the good old American pump gun does it all..

I read this about shotguns and laugh my azz off at the guys here who adhere to this line, but insult anyone who shoots a Savage bolt action rifle.

"Won't hunt with any of them ugly rifles...grunt...fart..." grin

I like well made things, and quality doubles fit that preference. I also like to shoot inexpensive guns that work great. I wouldn't trade my Mossberg 835 for any other waterfowl gun or my old H&R Topper in 30-30/410 as a little meat-getting traveling combo. wink
Don't think you could go wrong with a Benelli M2 if budget allows...
I too like well made guns..I have had some nice doubles, and still have a good old fox sterlingworth..I have nothing against shooting anything one wants..For me shooting is easier and more natural with pump guns..A well made pump is a nicer weapon to me than a cheaply made double..I also feel ire when folks put down pump guns..Having just came through South Dakota the country it was filled with guys with new o/u's new, hunting clothes, being shuttled around to "hunt" some phesants by lodges charging up to $3500 for a three day hunt..If I came across as nasty sorry, but that is how I felt at the time..
Your prime consideration should be carrying weight (and balance, of course) and perfect fit. We don't know if you are a former linebacker or a current jockey - how can we recommend a specific gun for you?

We can tell you some basics about what works for pheasant and quail in terms of cartridges, choke and shot size.

But you need to tell us more about what you are looking for. Semi, pump, side by side, over/under, which do you like? Any action type will do the job perfectly well, and gauges 12, 16, 20 and even 28 can kill upland birds.

Shoot clays to get in some practice and learning time. Find what shotgun you like and are comfortable with. I happen to like them all. Go to where the Pheasants, Chukar, Quail, etc are and get some experience. Have fun, be safe and don't make it seem like work.

Really it isn't all that difficult, nor does what you use matter for the most part. Pump, Auto, O/U, SxS? It's all good and the season way to short.

.Having just came through South Dakota the country it was filled with guys with new o/u's new, hunting clothes, being shuttled around to "hunt" some phesants by lodges charging up to $3500 for a three day hunt..If I came across as nasty sorry, but that is how I felt at the time..

While it's not my cup of tea either, why would you give two chits what the guys in SD were doing, or how much their guns, clothes, or lodging costs.
If that's what they like, or the only chance they have to hunt Pheasants who cares.
Your neck must get awfully stiff from constantly looking down your nose at others.

Snobs indeed?
Pretty hard to beat a Beretta 390 or 391 IMO. They will do it all extremely well. Count me as a 12 ga fan. If I get to the point that the difference in weight between a 20 and a 12 really matters, then I probably need to rethink my hunting hobby. People can talk about how they are almost as good as a 12 ga....funny thing is, they keep comparing them to the 12 ga. But everyone has their opinion.

Best advice I can give you....find a gun that fits you and you can hit with it. That is your No. 1 priority. Action type is secondary. If you go out and purchase some fancy-schmancy double and cant hit with it, it is almost worthless to you as a hunting gun.

Personally not a fan of pump guns. I have seen too many jam from either gun failure or short stroking. Either results in the same 4 letter word being tossed about! I know, I know, the next poster will have been hunting for 80 years with his pump and shot 15,000 birds with it and never had a problem, but that has been my experience. Note also that I am not a fan of cheap autos. They tend to extract the same 4 letter word.

Having said that, if you want to stay on the cheap side to make sure you want to get into this upland hunting thing...I would prolly recommend a pump. Wont cost you much and you can sell it for almost what you pay for it. Then, if you like the sport, go buy a nicer gun that hopefully you had a chance to try somewhere along the line.

Remember, find one that fits and you can hit with it!!
Field Grade what I care about is really none of your business..I have tried to be polite, but obviously you don't get it..
I too like well made guns..I have had some nice doubles, and still have a good old fox sterlingworth..I have nothing against shooting anything one wants..For me shooting is easier and more natural with pump guns..A well made pump is a nicer weapon to me than a cheaply made double..I also feel ire when folks put down pump guns..Having just came through South Dakota the country it was filled with guys with new o/u's new, hunting clothes, being shuttled around to "hunt" some pheasants by lodges charging up to $3500 for a three day hunt..If I came across as nasty sorry, but that is how I felt at the time..

LOL...no arguments here. grin wink

I'm partial to the old Remington Mdl 31 pump gun.
.Look at the great shotgunner, Major Charles Askins, he had doubles bored for the same choke because as I have found, most shots taken by hunters two chokes are of little advantage..

Speaking of the Major, check out this link.

DF

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124719
Major Askins liked longer barrels, like 28" in an O/U, and he liked open chokes for his style of shooting. He loved to hunt desert quail.

The link above is about his personal Browning Superposed that I ended up with. It's quite an interesting story with a lot of info about him and the Askins family, including son, Colonel Charles Askins, Jr. and grandson, Bill.

DF
We have been through most choices so I will venture into fantasy. grin

Not sure I would want this particular shotgun for wild Pheasant and Chukars are a foreign gamebird for me. However, for Ruffed Grouse and Quail I let a 32inch MX28 28g Perazzi slip by on a 28 ga frame, because I couldn't justify spending that much money. Today the same shotgun is $5000 more and I spent the money on something else.

Call me elitist WCH-big smile and grin on this end, I'm just funning-but it was just about the sweetest shotgun I have ever picked up. It looked like this, except you can't see how long, lean and quick it was.

[Linked Image]
Field Grade what I care about is really none of your business..I have tried to be polite, but obviously you don't get it..

LOL
What part of being polite should I have gotten?
The part where you called me a snob?
Or the part where you implied that I wasn't smart enought to know a good load from a bad one and only buy shells because they're trendy?

Carefull you don't fall off that high horse of yours. It's a long way to the ground.
© 24hourcampfire