Home
Posted By: VernAK Pheasant Forecast ???? - 08/03/02
Does anyone have a pheasant forecast for SE SoDak and NE Nebraska?
<br>
<br>Thanks
Opening day crowded, with occasional flurries of shots, windy at the bar later. LOL
Posted By: jasonq Re: Pheasant Forecast ???? - 08/14/02
What part ofSE SD are you talking about? I'm in Union County , and the bird #'s are looking better than in years past.
<br>
<br>Good Luck,
<br>
<br>Jason
Posted By: VernAK Re: Pheasant Forecast ???? - 08/15/02
Jason,
<br>
<br>Brookings will be our primary area with a day or two at Platte....
<br>
<br>Thanks
<br>
<br>Vern
Posted By: pak Re: Pheasant Forecast ???? - 08/15/02
Vern, how 'bout a ptarmy and sharptail forcast. You probably don't want us guys from Los Anchorage invading your private spots...:).pak
Posted By: VernAK Re: Pheasant Forecast ???? - 08/15/02
PAK,
<br>
<br>I'm afraid the forecast is dismal for grouse....both ruffs and sharptails....I've seen only a few sharptail and they are very small ....a late hatch bunch....I've driven 200 miles on back roads and farm fields this week and have seen only one grouse....
<br>
<br>I haven't been up high to look for ptarmigan......
Posted By: jasonq Re: Pheasant Forecast ???? - 08/15/02
Vern,
<br>
<br>As you've probably heard, we have a little drought going on around here. This is bad for farmers but good for pheasants. My take is that most areas had a real good hatch this year, not many nests flooded out by heavy rains. I have not been up around Brookings lately so I can't say for sure but it should be a bit better than last year. I would guess Platte would also be very good this year. One down side, due to the drought, much CRP is being hayed. This could affect the areas you hunt if it is predominately CRP. If you hunt state owned land, this should not be a problem. Also, the GF&P should release the pheasant count in the next couple of weeks.
<br>
<br>Good luck,
<br>
<br>Jason
Posted By: big time Re: Pheasant Forecast ???? - 08/17/02
i live just a little south of brookings, and am in madison almost daily...i don't notice great quantities of pheasants in the area that i notice just a bit south of there. the pheasant count, i suspect, is better than last year (like jasonq says). i also think his comments about platte, s.d. are right on... however, platte is a pretty good drive from brookings.
<br>
<br>i think the further s.w. you can get from brookings, the higher the pheasant count. seems that the population really picks up once you get to miner county...
Posted By: jasonq Re: Pheasant Forecast ???? - 08/30/02
Vern,
<br>
<br>The GF&P has the pheasant forecast on their web site now. It looks like Brookings area will be better that last year and Platte will be a little worse. Of course, your results may vary.
<br>
<br>Good luck,
<br>
<br>Jason
Posted By: VernAK Re: Pheasant Forecast ???? - 08/30/02
Thanks Jason!
<br>Brookings does seem to appear better than last year....we will have fun regardless..
<br>
<br>Thanks again!
© 24hourcampfire