Home
Posted By: kaywoodie 9x47R - 10/23/22
Anyone here familiar with this cartridge? Parent case? Case forming info? Any information would be appreciated?

Thanks

Kaywoodie
Posted By: Blackfly1 Re: 9x47R - 10/24/22
I've owned a number of them in doubles and drillings. You would do well to do a look over on AccurateReloading.com. it is not a BP cartridge, although there are a couple BP precursors. It is a good heavy hitter for game. Brass, bullets and load data are readily available. It is more of a parent case. Get out the Google machine, and crank the handle, lots of info out there.
Bfly
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: 9x47R - 10/24/22
Thanks blackfly. Been working the google. Will check them out at AR
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: 9x47R - 02/21/23
Cartridge verified as 9.5x47R. Dies will be here this Fall.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: luv2safari Re: 9x47R - 02/21/23
A 45-70 or 348 case will work if you add a very thin spacer in the extractor to make up for the thinner rim on the two American brass. Huntington's lists brass, btw. Buffalo also has brass:
https://www.buffaloarms.com/9-5x47r-cases-bertram-formed-b-ber9-5x47r.html
https://www.huntingtons.com/product-tag/9-5x47r/

This drilling shoots a 10X47R. I make brass from trimmed 348 brass and a 41 Mag pistol die set. It shoots 40 S&W .401 cast bullets.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: 9x47R - 02/21/23
Thanks ol’ buddy!
Posted By: gzig5 Re: 9x47R - 02/21/23
If it's anything like the 10.4x38 Swiss, 10.4 x42, or 10.4 x 47 Italian I understand that 8mm Lebel brass is a better fit for the rim thickness. The .348 brass works for the Vetterli (and I get excellent accuracy) but the extractor will fall off the case if it isn't ejected briskly. The Lebel brass is supposed to be closer to the correct thickness. I have some Lebel brass but have not turned it into 10.4 Vetterli yet.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: 9x47R - 02/22/23
Originally Posted by gzig5
If it's anything like the 10.4x38 Swiss, 10.4 x42, or 10.4 x 47 Italian I understand that 8mm Lebel brass is a better fit for the rim thickness. The .348 brass works for the Vetterli (and I get excellent accuracy) but the extractor will fall off the case if it isn't ejected briskly. The Lebel brass is supposed to be closer to the correct thickness. I have some Lebel brass but have not turned it into 10.4 Vetterli yet.

Had some old Syrian M1914 Hotchkiss trays of 8mm Lebel. So I disected one thinking the same thing. Better off buying the Bertram brass I believe. But thanks for the intel!
Posted By: saddlering Re: 9x47R - 02/25/23
Bob is there a story about this old rifle? I'm thinking there is! If not make one up!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: 9x47R - 03/01/23
Originally Posted by saddlering
Bob is there a story about this old rifle? I'm thinking there is! If not make one up!

Compadre, I don’t have a clue. Found it on a site and bought it. Seen another almost the twin of this one on another site and it was like three times as much! 🤣🤣🤣. But that latter site is notorious for their proud pricing of things! 🤣.

I plan on this old piece creating it’s own stories! More to come!!!
Posted By: saddlering Re: 9x47R - 03/02/23
Sounds like a plan. Happy Hunting with it!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 9x47R - 03/03/23
What is the exact bullet diameter in inches to 3 decimal places?..mb
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: 9x47R - 03/05/23
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
What is the exact bullet diameter in inches to 3 decimal places?..mb

Bullet is .374" with a .379" stop ring

I need to slug bore again. I sent old slug and chamber casting to C&H tool
© 24hourcampfire