Butch,
25Lb minimum
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1190/1

or
https://www.buffaloarms.com/black-powder.html
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Blackpowder source - 11/21/23
P.M. sent
Posted By: Boogan1 Re: Blackpowder source - 11/21/23
I buy all of my black powder from Traveller's Antiques.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Blackpowder source - 11/21/23
Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Blackpowder source - 11/21/23
Bear River powder Evanston wyo. Craig Kirkland good guy to deal with.
Posted By: marlinguy Re: Blackpowder source - 11/25/23
I buy all my BP from Buffalo Arms Co. Usually in 25 lb. cases to save on the hazmat fee since it's the same fee for one pound or 25 lbs.
Powder Valley is also a good source.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Blackpowder source - 11/25/23
I got my last bunch from Grafs. They had good prices and are veteran friendly.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Blackpowder source - 11/25/23
Since the NSSA grounds are nearby, we have a local dealer with literally tons, plus caps etc.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Blackpowder source - 11/26/23
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Since the NSSA grounds are nearby, we have a local dealer with literally tons, plus caps etc.

I've shot up a sh*tload of powder from that bunker in Winchester, VA! We would buy it in 25-pounders at a time (a half dozen of us blackpowder shooters in Hagerstown) and take turns driving down to make "the buy". One time one of the guys (his first trip) rolled into the driveway with it strapped down in the bed of his pickup truck, and he was wearing a hard hat, safety glasses, ear plugs, and welders gloves! We pointed out that if that keg of powder had blown up during the 50 mile drive none of that safety gear would've helped him in the least!
Posted By: RB1Shooter Re: Blackpowder source - 01/10/24
Back Creek Gun Shop in VA. Good prices, plenty of supply, good people. Swiss - GOEX - Schutzen. You can purchase any quantity you want.
Posted By: las Re: Blackpowder source - 01/17/24
Definition of "area"?????
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Blackpowder source - 01/17/24
I thought I said the Dallas, Tx area.
Posted By: gnnrsig40 Re: Blackpowder source - 01/18/24
Schuetzen Black powder (Swiss) is located in Arlington Tx.
Posted By: Otter Re: Blackpowder source - 03/10/24
Coonie's Black Powder, Hobbs, New Mexico

Powder Inc, Clarksville, AR

Not in Dallas area, but a couple more sources.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Blackpowder source - 03/10/24
Thanks!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Blackpowder source - 03/10/24
Bear River powder ,Evanston ,Wyo. Craig kirkland. As good as any better than most. Google it
Posted By: shaman Re: Blackpowder source - 03/13/24
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Any available in the Dallas, Tex area?

My last two sources were a) the NMLRA shoot in Friendship IN (only members can buy) and b) I'm making my own.

Homebrew Black Powder

The method I use, called Ricing, simply puts the damp mix through a screen, and then crushed and dried. If you go the homebrew route, you will instead need to take the damp mix and run it through a hydraulic press and make compressed pucks. This associates the Nitre with the charcoal much better, and you end up with a denser powder.

Ricing was the only way they made BP up until about 1800. I'm mostly using mine in a Brown Bess Musket, so what I'm doing is fine for this purpose. After 1800, the additional step of pucking made the denser powder that BP cartridges are based from.

Surprisingly, my first batch of homebrew turned out remarkably well. I had expected 120 grains to do the work of 80 grains of Goex. The end result was closer to 1:1, and it burned remarkably clean.

You need a good charcoal source. I used Ailanthus. It grows like a weed in my hard. Willow is great. However, the latest fad is toilet paper. You can reduce a roll of toilet paper and get the absolute finest BP out there.

Here's the Bible: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?103852-My-homemade-black-powder
Posted By: ihookem Re: Blackpowder source - 03/14/24
So toilet paper makes better black powder? I imagine I can use used toilet paper and even get nitrogen out of it.. If anyone tries it , let me know how it goes. Kidding aside , toilet paper is better?
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Blackpowder source - 03/15/24
Reach out to a muzzleloading club near you. They will point you to someone.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Blackpowder source - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Reach out to a muzzleloading club near you. They will point you to someone.

Thanks, I'm good now.
Posted By: shaman Re: Blackpowder source - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by ihookem
So toilet paper makes better black powder? I imagine I can use used toilet paper and even get nitrogen out of it.. If anyone tries it , let me know how it goes. Kidding aside , toilet paper is better?

https://www.youtube.com/@Everythingblackpowder

This guy is the source. I do plan on doing a load of Cottonelle at some point to make a comparison for myself. The guys on Cast Boolits are turning out powder as good or better than Swiss. My first batch just using the ricing method was only marginally less powerful than GOEX.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Blackpowder source - 03/16/24
I have to agree Shaman I think it's a great development. A few years back I knew a knowledgeable bp shooter from New Jersey who was allways up in PA. Cruisin and shooting he sent me some Alder blackthorn to try to get started, but it didn't like my soil. So I've allways paid attention to those who.make their own..mb
Posted By: shaman Re: Blackpowder source - 03/16/24
My first batch was made with Ailanthus (Tree of Heaven). When I move to the farm permanently, there are gobs of red cedar and grapevine out there. The right charcoal source is about 90% of the trick. Nearly any fast-growing wood is good. The other ingredients are readily available from Walmart. The only real expenditures is the ball mill and the grading sieves. I bought mine for the purpose, but you can get by with kitchen sieves.

Safe? I'm doing no more than sub-1lb batches. Most of the processing is done with the raw materials in a safe form or else raw BP that is damp. Once it is dry, I'm doing final grinding and sifting in small quantities outside with a face shield. I use a ceramic coffee grinder with the glass container removed and a tupperware container in its place.
© 24hourcampfire