Home
Posted By: Dirtfarmer 45-70 Rolling Block - 03/29/17
When I was but a lad, back in the '60's, this was a project. I bought an old Egyptian .43 Roller, got a 45-70 kit from Numrich Arms. The kit included everything but the action. I head spaced it with a big bastard file, used the farm vice with a piece of leather to pad the action, used leather to pad a Crescent wrench. Octagonal barrel lends itself to such treatment... smile

Worked well. I helped a friend set up bluing tanks, polished and blued the action. I cast a few wheel weight bullets, loaded some ammo. I was sitting on the back steps at home, a bird lit on a gate around 20 yds. away. I took careful aim and fired. The bird flew, but that big ole slug hit the gate. It was one of those wire gates with a pipe frame. Well that top pipe suddenly had a new bendable joint... shocked

Dad wasn't too happy, asked what I was going to do about it. In typical teenage smartazz fashion, I replied, "I'm going to elevate the rear sight two clicks". All the old man could do was try to hide a grin. Never heard anything else about the gate.

All that had to have been pretty cheap, or I wouldn't have been able to afforded it. It took big sacks of pecans to produce a few bucks for gun and ammo money.

It actually shoots pretty good, weighs 10#, 10 oz. Packs like a piece of railroad iron, but it doesn't kick that bad.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMT Re: 45-70 Rolling Block - 03/29/17
Wonderful story
Tell that to a grandkid when you pass it down
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 45-70 Rolling Block - 03/29/17
Now, what if one of those little turkeys pulled the same or similar stunt... shocked

Now, I could see my old Dad, just a grinning.

Pay back time...! laugh

DF
Posted By: tmitch Re: 45-70 Rolling Block - 03/30/17
Good times! My story is very similar to yours. My RB started as a 7mm basket case I found at a garage sale for $25, a Numrich kit and some crude tools to fit it. After I filed the barrel so the action would close, the rim headspace was too short so a hand ground drill bit chucked in a hand drill was employed. Not pretty but it worked! I first tested mine out on a gallon pail of roofing tar in the back yard. An impressive shower of black goop resulted. The next time I mowed the lawn I had to stop twice to clean the tar off the mower blade.
I finished mine with a faux case colored finish that I read about in some magazine using a torch and tincture of Benzoin IIRC. In the early 80's I tore it down and sent the receiver in to Color Case Company for a real case color finish, added a vernier tang and globe front and reshaped the wood. Not a Shiloh, but I was pretty proud of it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 45-70 Rolling Block - 03/30/17
You took yours to a higher level, looks great.

To a Loony, especially a young and upcoming Loony, a project like that is raw meat to a junk yard dog... laugh

DF
Posted By: Otter Re: 45-70 Rolling Block - 03/31/17
Did much the same as you did, DF, Started with a .43 Egyptian action, added new Treebone wood, new Badger barrel and Shiloh barrel sights. First summer I had it shootable, I went through 15 pounds of BP, 1500 primers and about 100 pounds of lead. Seems all I did that year was clean, prep, load, shoot . . . repeat. Lots of fun.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sharps1874 Re: 45-70 Rolling Block - 03/31/17
I had Dave Higginbotham do mine.....all 7 of them....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: Lou_M Re: 45-70 Rolling Block - 03/31/17
I would like to do a similar project. I was in contact with Higginbotham and was hoping to fund the project with a sale of something else. I wanted the 50-70 Custer model. I drug my feet too long and he passed before I could get my act together.
I still want to proceed but haven't investigated in another rolling block smith.
The donor rifle is a 7mm my father bought at Sears Roebuck in SF in the early 60's. It was just something to hang on the wall.
I am open to suggestions. Am not handy enough, nor equipped, to do any of the metal work myself.

Gorgeous rifles Sharps1874. And the other posters too!

Lou M
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: 45-70 Rolling Block - 04/08/17
Them are some nice guns boys. Thanks for sharing the memories and pics.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 45-70 Rolling Block - 04/08/17
Originally Posted by Sharps1874
I had Dave Higginbotham do mine.....all 7 of them....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Man, you rolling...!

Seriously, great guns, well done.

DF
Posted By: T_O_M Re: 45-70 Rolling Block - 04/20/17
Tell me 'bout that second one from the top. I've had a couple guys swear they didn't come with double set triggers. I owned one at one time. I've always wondered.

The story, as I heard it, was my ex gun was owned by an old lady who lived on the Oregon coast. My grandfather stopped to help her with something or other, a sea lion appeared out in the surf, and she let him take a whack at it with her late husband's old rolling block. I guess he hit it. When she died, it was gifted to him.

It came to me. My father made me sell it. frown

Tom
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 45-70 Rolling Block - 04/20/17
I had one of the Navy Arms (Pedersoli) RB's back in college - a .45-70. IIRC it had the 30" heavy barrel. I found a tang sight and front globe for it. I didn't really know what I was doing at the time, but had good eyesight. Shooting smokeless & jacketed bullets, I put 3 in 1 1/8" at 100 yards. Eventually I got bored with it, and sent it down the road.

Recently I saw Wtxj's swedish roller in .45-120. Dunno about the cartridge, but the finish and workmanship was very nice. smile
© 24hourcampfire