Home
Posted By: ironbender Need A Trailer Jack - 08/14/20
For a 7000# gvwr flatbed trailer. Have yet to park it while not attached to the truck. Even at max load, a 1000# jack seems plenty.

Recos?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Need A Trailer Jack - 08/14/20

here........

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Dutton-Lainson/DL22560.html
Posted By: ironbender Re: Need A Trailer Jack - 08/14/20
What im trying to figure is jack capacity rating. I can get one locally.

Currently have a jack on the trailer, but due to mods I want, I need a different style.

Is there a rule of thumb to determine jack capacity?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Need A Trailer Jack - 08/14/20
OK. Google-fu tells me I simply need to be able to meet tongue weight.

I'm GTG.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Need A Trailer Jack - 08/15/20
If you want I'll go check the make on the 10K trailer I just bought last month. That thing is smooooooth and nice. Better than I've had before. The Bulldog I had on the previous 7k always seemed chincy. and tough.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Need A Trailer Jack - 08/15/20
I put this on my camp trailer last year. It can be run up or down with a battery drill with a 3/4" socket or with the handle. I use an 18v Milwaukee. It's rated for 2k but I think that's a stretch. My trailer only has a 500 tongue wt and it works like a champ. 1000 would be working it quite a bit harder of course.

JACK
Posted By: ironbender Re: Need A Trailer Jack - 08/15/20
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
If you want I'll go check the make on the 10K trailer I just bought last month. That thing is smooooooth and nice. Better than I've had before. The Bulldog I had on the previous 7k always seemed chincy. and tough.

Thanks. I got it sorted now.
Posted By: willycc Re: Need A Trailer Jack - 08/15/20
One thing nice about using a jack with weld on stubs. You can buy extra stubs and weld on the frame back at the wheels.As long as the trailer is hooked up don't have to hunt for a jack to change a flat.I've only done it on smaller trailers going to need a bigger jack than tongue weight when loaded.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Need A Trailer Jack - 08/15/20
Anytime I have a question about trailers, I call Etrailers.com. Great guys that can answer about any question.They guided me thru selecting a load equalizer hitch, installation and adjusting
Posted By: TheKid Re: Need A Trailer Jack - 08/15/20
Originally Posted by willycc
One thing nice about using a jack with weld on stubs. You can buy extra stubs and weld on the frame back at the wheels.As long as the trailer is hooked up don't have to hunt for a jack to change a flat.I've only done it on smaller trailers going to need a bigger jack than tongue weight when loaded.

That’s a good idea, why didn’t I think of that.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Need A Trailer Jack - 09/01/20
The jack that came on the trailer was fine, but did not allow for mounting a spare tire plus a tool box. Original jack was welded to cross brace angle where the front of the box is now.

I like how it turned out.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Original jack.

Posted By: jackmountain Re: Need A Trailer Jack - 09/08/20
What's the difference in weight ratings between the original and the replacement if any? IMHO, the replacement bolted down isn't as good as the welded original, but dependent on what your load I'd on the trailer when not attached to your vehicle, it might not matter. I leave equipment on my trailers regularly so the jack takes a lot of abuse.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Need A Trailer Jack - 09/08/20
Originally Posted by jackmountain
What's the difference in weight ratings between the original and the replacement if any? IMHO, the replacement bolted down isn't as good as the welded original, but dependent on what your load I'd on the trailer when not attached to your vehicle, it might not matter. I leave equipment on my trailers regularly so the jack takes a lot of abuse.

The A frame jack is 5K. Don’t know rating on original, but suspect it’s higher.

As I said in the OP, GVWR is 7K, so 15% is 1050#. Even @ a full load (seldom to never) I’m covered with plenty of margin. The big factor for my use, is being able to have the box and spare, both mounted.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Need A Trailer Jack - 09/08/20
Nice looking setup.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Need A Trailer Jack - 09/09/20
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Nice looking setup.

Thank. I’m pleased! 👍
Posted By: Higginez Re: Need A Trailer Jack - 09/20/20
Originally Posted by willycc

One of the best things I've learned here at the 24hcf.

Great idea.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Need A Trailer Jack - 09/20/20
I use a jiffy jack on tandem trailers.
© 24hourcampfire