Home
Posted By: Tonk Nissan Truck! - 05/14/11
Well last fall my brother in law purchased a 2011 Ford F-150 and his brother also. They were riding high and standing in tall cotton to hear them both talk about their new trucks.

However, their love for the new Ford product seemed to change to a nightmare story. One thing after another, not to mention their complaints of trying to pack them around town etc.

So they both traded those new Ford trucks in on the Nissan model. I shook my head but after riding around for 3 days in a Nissan truck, I was impressed with the interior and the ride of that Nissan truck. It was smooth as silk in traffic and easy to park on top of it all.

Now I am not thinking for trading my Ford Superduty anytime soon mind you but those Nissans were sure very handy vehicles around town and in traffic you betcha. The gas mileage was not bad either, especially if you compare it to my V-10 Ford.
Posted By: badger Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/14/11
My uncle had a Titan (I think around 2007 or so) and loved it. Couldn't handle the poor fuel mileage around town, though. 12 mpg when my Cummins does 17-18. He traded it after about 6 months.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/14/11
I'm on my fourth Frontier. No headaches, no issues at all, either. I like 'em.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/14/11
Nice Truck poor mileage in relation to size . Looked at a crew cab a few weeks ago,,32K I can buy a discounted Silverado LT for the same bucks and it gets better mileage.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/14/11
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Nice Truck poor mileage in relation to size . Looked at a crew cab a few weeks ago,,32K I can buy a discounted Silverado LT for the same bucks and it gets better mileage.

The repair bills on the Silverado will make up for the "better" deal over a used Nissan/Toyota, IMO.

My next one will be a Toyota.

I have repair bills that would choke a horse on my 02 Silverado (that I bought new) Even with my FIL's employee discount I'm going to pass on another GM.
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

The repair bills on the Silverado will make up for the "better" deal over a used Nissan/Toyota, IMO.

I have repair bills that would choke a horse on my 02 Silverado (that I bought new) Even with my FIL's employee discount I'm going to pass on another GM.

Hmmm. Everyone I know that has one has minimal problems and every model year from the 90's thru latest edition. Nissans have very very spotty reliability. Toyotas are a step down from what was produced from the mid 80's thru the 2002 model year.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/14/11
Just off the top of my head........4 front wheel hubs, 4 window motors, 3 or 4 complete brake jobs, blower motor and blower motor control switch, wiper motor, gas line & brake line replaced, water pump.

On the good side, tires lasted me 62k and 40k, 3rd set is doing well. Engine and transmission excellent (other than water pump). Body, pretty good other than rust starting on rocker panels.

We have an awful amount of salt dumped on our roads in the winter months and that doesn't help things. 112,000 miles and 9 years, 2002 1500 Ex cab Z71.

I'm ready to give Toyota a run.
I have a 2004 z71 and the steering shaft had a recall and the wire on the passenger seat belt warning shorted. Original michelin ltx tires and it has 68500. My brother had a 2002 duramax , not one problem and he sold it a few years ago. Wishes he had it back BTW. A guy that posts here and works with me had a 2002 ext cab z71 that went 100k and not one problem, his prior truck was a 2500 reg cab that he sold and that went almost to 300k with the second owner and he was a tobacco farmer. There are a 1/2 dozen in my neighborhood alone and after comparing notes not one has had any significant problems. That said not real thrilled that they are made in Mexico but so is the Tacoma and I would not be surprised if it were not a joint plant.
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/15/11
Originally Posted by Tonk
after riding around for 3 days in a Nissan truck, I was impressed with the interior and the ride of that Nissan truck. It was smooth as silk in traffic and easy to park on top of it all.
There's hope for you yet.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/15/11

I bought a brand new Tundra in 07, it was the worst truck I've ever owned. Left me stranded twice and both times Toyota said nothing was wrong. Had it in for warranty work on the front end and the dash sunk just less than an inch on the drivers side, when I took it in they said "at least it doesn't squeak". If I ever go back to Toyota it will be with a Tacoma. That's where they excel. I also never got more than about 16mpg
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/15/11
Originally Posted by huntsonora

I bought a brand new Tundra in 07, it was the worst truck I've ever owned. Left me stranded twice and both times Toyota said nothing was wrong. Had it in for warranty work on the front end and the dash sunk just less than an inch on the drivers side, when I took it in they said "at least it doesn't squeak". If I ever go back to Toyota it will be with a Tacoma. That's where they excel. I also never got more than about 16mpg

It'd be a Tacoma for me also.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/15/11
I have a 2004 z71 and the steering shaft had a recall and the wire on the passenger seat belt warning shorted. Original michelin ltx tires and it has 68500. My brother had a 2002 duramax , not one problem and he sold it a few years ago. Wishes he had it back BTW. A guy that posts here and works with me had a 2002 ext cab z71 that went 100k and not one problem, his prior truck was a 2500 reg cab that he sold and that went almost to 300k with the second owner and he was a tobacco farmer. There are a 1/2 dozen in my neighborhood alone and after comparing notes not one has had any significant problems. That said not real thrilled that they are made in Mexico but so is the Tacoma and I would not be surprised if it were not a joint plant.

I know it's really all just a roll of the dice anymore with anything in life.

Bottom line, for the money spent on the initial purchase, repairs and them some resale value I think I'll be ahead with a Toyota. YMMV
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/15/11

I know it's really all just a roll of the dice anymore with anything in life.

Bottom line, for the money spent on the initial purchase, repairs and them some resale value I think I'll be ahead with a Toyota. YMMV

You are right about that...My brother has owned/owns more Toyota tacomas then anyone I know. He currently owns 2 v6 models the youngest being 2002 and the old one is a 1992(I believe). He is a General contractor in Florida and at one point had 6 of the 4cyl trucks for his workers.Most of those trucks were ancient with multiple hundreds of thousands of miles. Surprised Toyota never made a commercial featuring his trucks. He doesn't think any other brand exists even though he had bought and sold a Duramax . I don't think you can go wrong buying a Toyota or Nissan but damn it really stings when a 30k outlay of cash goes bad.
Posted By: barnold1 Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/15/11
I have an 05 Titan that was great when new but blasted my ass with repairs after the warranty expired. From what I've read, many of the bugs were worked out in the later model years ('08 or so). After the Obama/UAW circle jerk and the issues I've had with my Nissan, my next truck will likely be the Tundra.
Posted By: kcm270 Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/17/11
I've owned my 02 Xterra for five years and 64,000 miles. It's at 110k now.

Unscheduled maintenance: one windshield washer fluid reservoir that cracked, about $100.

Oh, and now, a power steering hose that I need to replace.

That ain't bad. Great truck.
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/17/11
I bought my Titan in March of 2010. At the time, the big three would not come very far off of their stickers. Nissan was willing to deal...and gave me a great one.
It's true about the gas milage but I love the ride. It will pass anything but a gas station. So far I'm very happy with it.

Dan

Posted By: Bend Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/17/11
I bought a new 4x4 w/tow Titan in '04, its first year and still have it. Sure, it had its going pains as did the new Tundra years later. With a shell, I get 17 mpg. When towing a 5K pound trailer, its about 11 mpg. I plan to keep it for a while longer.
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/19/11
You damn sure need to avoid that f*cking corn liquor, bullshit ethanol fuel like the plague. You will lose 4-5 MPG from the use of that crap alone. At that rate, that sh*t needs to be at least 59 cents/gallon (or more) to be as cheap to operate as gasoline. When I had my Titan, I was able to get 18+ MPG on the highway and 15-16 MPG in town -- provided I put bona fide gasoline in it. That ethanol crap (E10) knocked it down to around 12 MPG in town and about 14 MPG on the highway. (Gasoline at $3.879/gallon = 21.55 cents per mile at 18 MPG, corn liquor ethanol at $3.689/gallon = 26.35 cents per mile at 14 MPG. In that instance E10 would need to be $3.017/gallon -- 86.2 cents per gallon CHEAPER than gasoline to be as economical to use.)
Posted By: Tonk Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/19/11
Brickyard......How about YOU NOT posting on my thread Jackass!
Nobody gives a Rats behind what you say anyway....Ghetto Man.
I had enough of your crap on the last incident you posted and PM me on...........So go fly a frigging kite!!!
Originally Posted by Tonk
Brickyard......How about YOU NOT posting on my thread Jackass!
Nobody gives a Rats behind what you say anyway....Ghetto Man.
I had enough of your crap on the last incident you posted and PM me on...........So go fly a frigging kite!!!
F*ck off, bitch.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/19/11
he's right though, that ethanol is junk.

my F150 is designed to burn either regular fuel or that junk corn juice.

The corn juice is "E-85" and it's close to a buck a gallon cheaper than regular fuel. So I tried a couple tanks.

I busted out the calculator and figured out that even at a doller per gallon cheaper the E-85 cost me around 5 cents a MILE more to burn! What a joke!

I'm back to "regular" which has too much ethanol in it the way it is.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
he's right though, that ethanol is junk.

my F150 is designed to burn either regular fuel or that junk corn juice.

The corn juice is "E-85" and it's close to a buck a gallon cheaper than regular fuel. So I tried a couple tanks.

I busted out the calculator and figured out that even at a doller per gallon cheaper the E-85 cost me around 5 cents a MILE more to burn! What a joke!

I'm back to "regular" which has too much ethanol in it the way it is.
We have E10 -- which is sold almost everywhere -- and gasoline. Only a handful of places sell E85 in this part of the country. The Oklahoma state legislature passed a law in 2008 requiring E10 sellers to post notice on all of their pumps. Stations selling bona fide gasoline began hanging signs announcing 100% gasoline around the same time.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/19/11
Brick-Boy.....I see you managed to clmb out of the wood pile once again, did you get a splinter in your A$$ this time?

Now Bugger Bear how goes cell block D? Let me know when you engineer your way out of the big house Jigger.
Posted By: ehunter Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/19/11
Back to the topic I had a exterra 2004 traded it off at 125k this spring for a Frontier. Never had a single problem with the exterra and am hoping for the same with my new truck. I have had great luck with Nissans. We also have a Tacoma pickup and its been a great rig.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/19/11
I have a 05 Titan and it is an awsome truck. The down side of it were the factory tires. Chucker huting in Northern CA and Nevada I blew two tires out. Put real agressive off road tires on it with 10 ply and it worked fine except my gas mileage went down hill. That was the only rea issue I've had with it though.
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/20/11
Cummins is developing a diesel for the Nissan Titan. I know Nissan is planning a major overhaul of the Titan in 2014.

Nissan Titan with Cummins four cylinder diesel. PickupTruck.com

Dan
Posted By: ehunter Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/21/11
That would be cool. I have often wondered why the US did not use more diesel. We go to NZ once a year and they have had diesel trucks and SUV's for a long time. Including Nissan? Friggin US government is probably why. eek
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/21/11
Originally Posted by ehunter
That would be cool. I have often wondered why the US did not use more diesel. We go to NZ once a year and they have had diesel trucks and SUV's for a long time. Including Nissan? Friggin US government is probably why. eek
I think the gubmint is less to blame than the [bleep] passenger diesels we've had in the past. Those GM 5.7 liter Oldsmobile diesels and the GM/Detroit 6.2 liter engines were pieces of DOGSHIT. If the American public was exposed to them as their first passenger car diesel experience, how inclined do you think they'd be to try another?
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/21/11
The diesel Titan probably won't be as much fun to drive.My Titan is like driving an 'ol hot rod...but 30 mpg on the highway? I could probably fill up every other month!

I'd love to give one a test drive.

Dan
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/21/11
Originally Posted by Dantheman
The diesel Titan probably won't be as much fun to drive.My Titan is like driving an 'ol hot rod...but 30 mpg on the highway? I could probably fill up every other month!

I'd love to give one a test drive.

Dan
Put a Banks kit on it. That'll make it fun.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Nissan Truck! - 05/22/11
Originally Posted by ehunter

That is exactly correct. Emmisions standards are much more stringent on cars and light trucks than heavier trucks. This is why you can get a diesel in an F250 but not an F150. This is also why Toyota doesn't import their excellent 4cyl diesels to the USA.
© 24hourcampfire