Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well last fall my brother in law purchased a 2011 Ford F-150 and his brother also. They were riding high and standing in tall cotton to hear them both talk about their new trucks.

However, their love for the new Ford product seemed to change to a nightmare story. One thing after another, not to mention their complaints of trying to pack them around town etc.

So they both traded those new Ford trucks in on the Nissan model. I shook my head but after riding around for 3 days in a Nissan truck, I was impressed with the interior and the ride of that Nissan truck. It was smooth as silk in traffic and easy to park on top of it all.

Now I am not thinking for trading my Ford Superduty anytime soon mind you but those Nissans were sure very handy vehicles around town and in traffic you betcha. The gas mileage was not bad either, especially if you compare it to my V-10 Ford.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My uncle had a Titan (I think around 2007 or so) and loved it. Couldn't handle the poor fuel mileage around town, though. 12 mpg when my Cummins does 17-18. He traded it after about 6 months.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm on my fourth Frontier. No headaches, no issues at all, either. I like 'em.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nice Truck poor mileage in relation to size . Looked at a crew cab a few weeks ago,,32K I can buy a discounted Silverado LT for the same bucks and it gets better mileage.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Nice Truck poor mileage in relation to size . Looked at a crew cab a few weeks ago,,32K I can buy a discounted Silverado LT for the same bucks and it gets better mileage.

The repair bills on the Silverado will make up for the "better" deal over a used Nissan/Toyota, IMO.

My next one will be a Toyota.

I have repair bills that would choke a horse on my 02 Silverado (that I bought new) Even with my FIL's employee discount I'm going to pass on another GM.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

The repair bills on the Silverado will make up for the "better" deal over a used Nissan/Toyota, IMO.

I have repair bills that would choke a horse on my 02 Silverado (that I bought new) Even with my FIL's employee discount I'm going to pass on another GM.

Hmmm. Everyone I know that has one has minimal problems and every model year from the 90's thru latest edition. Nissans have very very spotty reliability. Toyotas are a step down from what was produced from the mid 80's thru the 2002 model year.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Just off the top of my head........4 front wheel hubs, 4 window motors, 3 or 4 complete brake jobs, blower motor and blower motor control switch, wiper motor, gas line & brake line replaced, water pump.

On the good side, tires lasted me 62k and 40k, 3rd set is doing well. Engine and transmission excellent (other than water pump). Body, pretty good other than rust starting on rocker panels.

We have an awful amount of salt dumped on our roads in the winter months and that doesn't help things. 112,000 miles and 9 years, 2002 1500 Ex cab Z71.

I'm ready to give Toyota a run.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a 2004 z71 and the steering shaft had a recall and the wire on the passenger seat belt warning shorted. Original michelin ltx tires and it has 68500. My brother had a 2002 duramax , not one problem and he sold it a few years ago. Wishes he had it back BTW. A guy that posts here and works with me had a 2002 ext cab z71 that went 100k and not one problem, his prior truck was a 2500 reg cab that he sold and that went almost to 300k with the second owner and he was a tobacco farmer. There are a 1/2 dozen in my neighborhood alone and after comparing notes not one has had any significant problems. That said not real thrilled that they are made in Mexico but so is the Tacoma and I would not be surprised if it were not a joint plant.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tonk
after riding around for 3 days in a Nissan truck, I was impressed with the interior and the ride of that Nissan truck. It was smooth as silk in traffic and easy to park on top of it all.
There's hope for you yet.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I bought a brand new Tundra in 07, it was the worst truck I've ever owned. Left me stranded twice and both times Toyota said nothing was wrong. Had it in for warranty work on the front end and the dash sunk just less than an inch on the drivers side, when I took it in they said "at least it doesn't squeak". If I ever go back to Toyota it will be with a Tacoma. That's where they excel. I also never got more than about 16mpg

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by huntsonora

I bought a brand new Tundra in 07, it was the worst truck I've ever owned. Left me stranded twice and both times Toyota said nothing was wrong. Had it in for warranty work on the front end and the dash sunk just less than an inch on the drivers side, when I took it in they said "at least it doesn't squeak". If I ever go back to Toyota it will be with a Tacoma. That's where they excel. I also never got more than about 16mpg

It'd be a Tacoma for me also.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a 2004 z71 and the steering shaft had a recall and the wire on the passenger seat belt warning shorted. Original michelin ltx tires and it has 68500. My brother had a 2002 duramax , not one problem and he sold it a few years ago. Wishes he had it back BTW. A guy that posts here and works with me had a 2002 ext cab z71 that went 100k and not one problem, his prior truck was a 2500 reg cab that he sold and that went almost to 300k with the second owner and he was a tobacco farmer. There are a 1/2 dozen in my neighborhood alone and after comparing notes not one has had any significant problems. That said not real thrilled that they are made in Mexico but so is the Tacoma and I would not be surprised if it were not a joint plant.

I know it's really all just a roll of the dice anymore with anything in life.

Bottom line, for the money spent on the initial purchase, repairs and them some resale value I think I'll be ahead with a Toyota. YMMV

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I know it's really all just a roll of the dice anymore with anything in life.

Bottom line, for the money spent on the initial purchase, repairs and them some resale value I think I'll be ahead with a Toyota. YMMV

You are right about that...My brother has owned/owns more Toyota tacomas then anyone I know. He currently owns 2 v6 models the youngest being 2002 and the old one is a 1992(I believe). He is a General contractor in Florida and at one point had 6 of the 4cyl trucks for his workers.Most of those trucks were ancient with multiple hundreds of thousands of miles. Surprised Toyota never made a commercial featuring his trucks. He doesn't think any other brand exists even though he had bought and sold a Duramax . I don't think you can go wrong buying a Toyota or Nissan but damn it really stings when a 30k outlay of cash goes bad.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have an 05 Titan that was great when new but blasted my ass with repairs after the warranty expired. From what I've read, many of the bugs were worked out in the later model years ('08 or so). After the Obama/UAW circle jerk and the issues I've had with my Nissan, my next truck will likely be the Tundra.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've owned my 02 Xterra for five years and 64,000 miles. It's at 110k now.

Unscheduled maintenance: one windshield washer fluid reservoir that cracked, about $100.

Oh, and now, a power steering hose that I need to replace.

That ain't bad. Great truck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought my Titan in March of 2010. At the time, the big three would not come very far off of their stickers. Nissan was willing to deal...and gave me a great one.
It's true about the gas milage but I love the ride. It will pass anything but a gas station. So far I'm very happy with it.

Dan

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a new 4x4 w/tow Titan in '04, its first year and still have it. Sure, it had its going pains as did the new Tundra years later. With a shell, I get 17 mpg. When towing a 5K pound trailer, its about 11 mpg. I plan to keep it for a while longer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You damn sure need to avoid that f*cking corn liquor, bullshit ethanol fuel like the plague. You will lose 4-5 MPG from the use of that crap alone. At that rate, that sh*t needs to be at least 59 cents/gallon (or more) to be as cheap to operate as gasoline. When I had my Titan, I was able to get 18+ MPG on the highway and 15-16 MPG in town -- provided I put bona fide gasoline in it. That ethanol crap (E10) knocked it down to around 12 MPG in town and about 14 MPG on the highway. (Gasoline at $3.879/gallon = 21.55 cents per mile at 18 MPG, corn liquor ethanol at $3.689/gallon = 26.35 cents per mile at 14 MPG. In that instance E10 would need to be $3.017/gallon -- 86.2 cents per gallon CHEAPER than gasoline to be as economical to use.)

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Brickyard......How about YOU NOT posting on my thread Jackass!
Nobody gives a Rats behind what you say anyway....Ghetto Man.
I had enough of your crap on the last incident you posted and PM me on...........So go fly a frigging kite!!!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tonk
Brickyard......How about YOU NOT posting on my thread Jackass!
Nobody gives a Rats behind what you say anyway....Ghetto Man.
I had enough of your crap on the last incident you posted and PM me on...........So go fly a frigging kite!!!
F*ck off, bitch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 19 invisible), 1,676 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,998
Posts18,481,181
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.