Home
Posted By: duckster Hunting rig photo - 10/24/11
I have posted about the hunting rig I use on the ranch, but had not had any photos so this weekend I had my camera and remembered to snap a shot of the rig.

1991 Isuzu Trooper II, manual tranny, 4 cylinder motor

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cal74 Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/24/11
Not really my main hunting rig, but it was last week while out on a Cow Elk Hunt

'07 5.9 Cummins & Polaris Sportsman 700

[Linked Image]

My usual hunting rig is a very fine '87 Ford Ranger ext cab with a topper. Pretty much all fall my archery stuff is in the back and as soon as that's done the ice fishing stuff goes back there instead (sadly no pictures).
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/24/11
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: duckster Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/24/11
Nice!
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/24/11
Not bad. My "hunting rig" is a 2000 Jeep Wrangler with a stick and a 4 cly. engine. Can go and do alot of things that are a surprise to many. E
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/25/11
The ol jeep was kinda nice. Got around fairly well. Went alot of places. Just seemed to prefer riding on a trailer on the way back home grin It was loved when it ran, hated when it didnt, a relief when it finnally sold and now for some reason I kinda miss the beat to hell thing crazy

[Linked Image]

Now with the current ranger its gettin a lil on the tired side. old enough an wore out enough that its not worth anything. But old enough an tired enough that everything on it is wearing out cry dunno how much longer I will have it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: duckster Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/25/11
I have been surprised at how many places the Trooper can go, especially in 4wd low range. It will climb right up stuff. It is nice and quiet and not hard on gas.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/28/11
WTF is wrong with everybody? Where are the hunting trucks?

We did this a year or 2 ago and filled pages with really cool trucks.

Posted By: mud_bogger Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/28/11
its dah economy grin

Here is an upcoming huntin rig, just to make you fell mo better grin gotta lil ways to go though.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/28/11
78 F-150 4x4. Getting closer to the finish line.

[Linked Image]
glad to see that project is still alive bogger!

The old ford is lookin good tom!
Posted By: roundoak Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/28/11
New to me this year...anxious to fill it up with whitetails.

1987 Ford Bronco, 300 six, four on the floor and a "fifth" under the seat.

[Linked Image]
Hey I was wondering if you ever made that deal, I remember you were looking at that rig.

nice!
Posted By: TJAY Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/28/11
[Linked Image]

This is my rig as of last fall.
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/28/11
Project is still kinda alive. Still toying with ideas. I'm stuck on the idea that the 2.3L turbo outta some of the older mustangs would make for a fairly badazz ride. While still keepin the rig light and givin me better mpg than a SBF...
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/29/11
4BT
Posted By: ken458 Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/29/11
Here's my 64 GMC Suburban "carryall" 4x4 that I always post when we have these threads:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/29/11
Ahhhh, that's better. grin

Posted By: mud_bogger Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/29/11
that thing is badazz

the 4bt would be slick. But were back with the wieght issue

although...............it might be badazz whistle
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/29/11
Okay I'll play along;
[Linked Image]

My oldest Land Cruiser in South Africa

[Linked Image]

The Newest land cruiser in South Africa

[Linked Image]

In South Africa we actually have to have real grill guards or "bull bars". Not the flimsy cosmetic tubes so common in the USA which are called "Grill guards"! Hitting big game at 100kph will destroy your truck on these gravel back roads, and you're never gonna stop in time on gravel!

My oldest Cruiser (only Cruiser) in the USA. The combo winch and compressor is wired now, this was an early photo. Also added Aussie Lockers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Say what you will about a japanese 4X4 but this one is 35 years old and as strongly constructed as any 4X4 ever made. It's the very first vehicle toyota sold in the USA which started the reputation as an ultra dependable unbreakable vehicle. It's noisy, stiff, and has manual steering ( for now) but it's about the most dependable unbreakable functional off road vehicle ever made. Its why they are all we use in South Africa, ( it's all anyone uses there for hunting)

[Linked Image]

Mine had a body off restoration last year. However the entire engine and drive train is original design. New clutch, lockers, radiator, Electronic Ignition, battery. Tires wheels, along with shocks and leaves. Oh yeah exhaust, and the entire interior has been redone with outdoor furniture material called "sunbrella" Probably some other bits as well that escape me now. I still have to put in a radio, and the most powerful driving lights I can find.

The truth is, I need to find a beater to hunt with, I went way overboard on this project and in all honesty I now baby this thing. It's capability far exceeds my willingness to risk damage. What a shame I got myself into this mess!
Posted By: 7_08FAN Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/30/11
That ole carryall of Kens's is unreal..

Here is a picture of my 1972 K20 which I have had since the seventies. My girls called it the "Quail Wagon" as it spent most of the time carrying pointers, quality double barrels, and dead birds...It has also hauled about every other kind of dead animal in these parts. I have somewhat retired this truck and hope to restore it someday.

[Linked Image]

This '96 Tacoma is my current daily hunting rig. These trucks are very capable.

[Linked Image]

I've got a few more trucks I use, but don't want to clutter the thread too much... Got a couple more Tacoma's and a new Silverado. These two trucks hold some good memories for me when it comes to hunting, especially the old Chevy.
Posted By: duckster Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/30/11
Love the Land Cruiser photos!
Posted By: humdinger Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/31/11
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN

Here is a picture of my 1972 K20 which I have had since the seventies. My girls called it the "Quail Wagon" as it spent most of the time carrying pointers, quality double barrels, and dead birds...It has also hauled about every other kind of dead animal in these parts. I have somewhat retired this truck and hope to restore it someday.

[Linked Image]

This '96 Tacoma is my current daily hunting rig. These trucks are very capable.

[Linked Image]

I've got a few more trucks I use, but don't want to clutter the thread too much... Got a couple more Tacoma's and a new Silverado. These two trucks hold some good memories for me when it comes to hunting, especially the old Chevy.
You don't find chevy's in Minnesota like that w/o lots of rust. Envious of the tacoma and thats what I want to get next. Never seem to find decent priced used ones up here.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/31/11
Originally Posted by duckster
Love the Land Cruiser photos!

Me too.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/31/11
Wow, awesome collection of toyotas.

You won't catch me bad mouthing them. My dad purchased a toyota 4x4 pickup witht he super or extended cab when I was a kid. I think it was in 83.

That was an impressive hunting truck.

We had it up in the snow covered Olympia mountains in Wa state on an elk hunt one year.

Very impressive truck.
Love the quail wagon too. We don't see many 4x4's of that vintage around here. Not in a chev/GMC anyways.

And like humdinger says, if you do see them they are all rusted out.

Posted By: duckster Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/31/11
I had never owned a Japanese 4x4 before buying the Trooper II, I have been impressed with it's ability off road. Granted not hauling or towing but for 3-4 guys, going around to deer stands, even in snow/mud it has been great. Good visibility from it due to the square shape and even 21 mpg on the highway.
Here's one that I really miss.

I restored this one from a little too far gone.

This truck and i have been through hell and back, I sure miss it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/01/11
Originally Posted by northern_dave
glad to see that project is still alive bogger!

The old ford is lookin good tom!

She's running good now too. Lots of new parts. The correct thermostat and it'll heat you out of the cab now!

She's coming around.
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/01/11
Originally Posted by ken458
Here's my 64 GMC Suburban "carryall" 4x4 that I always post when we have these threads:
[Linked Image]

That is one of my favorite rigs on here.
Posted By: duckster Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/01/11
Agree, that old Surburban is just cool!
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/01/11
JJHack

Your oldest (USA) Land Cruiser reminds me of the one I used to have. They were a great 4X4.
Posted By: BandGHunter Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/01/11
NICE
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/01/11
Thanks, It really was.

Engine was fresh, new trans, not a seal or bearing left unreplaced. She was plum wore out when I started. It was a true back from the grave story.

New sheetmetal, she really was nice.

Then I sold it...

crazy

Posted By: AsphaltCowboy Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/02/11
This'n followed me home last April, literally.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Won't be ready for the hunt this year so I'm gonna' do a total body teardown, fix the metal work and give it a better look with some tractor enamel this winter.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/03/11
J-10?
Posted By: BandGHunter Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/03/11
Nice rigs, always liked them there JEEPS. My dad had a Wag. a 65 thinkin it had a Buick eng. in it. You guys don't seem to be bothered with RUST. Up here in Pa. we live in the salt belt, everything older is rusted up. Not real old 2001's can have whole undercarriage rusted away nothin to have rear end fall out. My daughter's Lincoln Nav. lost whole back drive train on interstate. You guys are lucky.... Again real nice Jeeps, like the stray that followed you home...later
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/03/11
[Linked Image]
that photo is over 30 yrs old

here's the truck last winter, she's making her way back to health. hopefully soon to be restored to it's former yellow self.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AsphaltCowboy Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/03/11
Have no idea.
The data plate is missing, and the sequential number I found on the frame doesn't match the title I got with it.

Have had a few who know, reallllly know, these rigs judge from pics. Given the trans, transfer, axle and spring pack combination they're guessing something in the 6600-6800# GVW range. It could be a J3400 or J3600.
here's a hell of a hunting rig.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AsphaltCowboy Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/03/11
that photo is over 30 yrs old

here's the truck last winter, she's making her way back to health. hopefully soon to be restored to it's former yellow self.

[Linked Image]

'68? IIRC the '69's had a painted grille.
You can neglect, abuse and just plain beat the snot outta'
them old Fords, and they just won't die.
Best of luck with her.
It's actually a 70 but it's wearing a bunch of donor tin from an earlier ford, including the grill. 67 or 68 i think, not sure.. but it was an improvement over this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ken458 Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/04/11
To keep this thread alive, here's my 1960 GMC 4x4 Carryall (Suburban): [Linked Image]
Posted By: AsphaltCowboy Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/05/11

Nice rig. cool

That bumper/winch combo gives me an idea.
Posted By: 7_08FAN Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/05/11
Ken, that is another nice Sub..but the 64 is the nuts..Dad and I both had 64 Chevy pickups at one time and loved them..then he got a 71 and I got the 72.. Before I got the 72 Chevy, I had a 71 Ford F250 4x4 for a short time but the manual steering was too much..Besides, we were a Chevy family..
Posted By: ironbender Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/05/11
There is something about the looks of those Jeep PUs that appeals to me. I've known 2 guys that each had one. One in Fbks in the 70s that was a literal stump-pulling machine.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/05/11
Ken458,
I love that truck, how cool to see that in such great condition. That era of time from about 60-75 or so with most trucks was to actually create a truck. Nothing fancy, not a road trip comfort cruiser, no carpet, no auto transmission, just a durable workhorse.

I had a job when I was in High School where they had an old Jeep Pickup. It was also much like this truck and a real beast of a work truck. It's probably still running now!
Posted By: duckster Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/07/11
Those old Suburbans are really cool.
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/09/11
Originally Posted by ken458
To keep this thread alive, here's my 1960 GMC 4x4 Carryall (Suburban): [Linked Image]

I don't think you can find a cooler hunting rig than those. I like them a lot and yours if great.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/09/11
This Dodge has been great, getting me wherever I wanted to go. I never was a Dodge fan, but I would look at Dodge first if I was going to buy a new truck.

Click on the picture for a short video...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: shootnrats Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/09/11
my 1991 chevy 4x4, I painted it myself with paint from walmart..it hides well out here in SE new mexico.

Attached picture trk.jpg
Posted By: lawnman Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/10/11
Shrapnel, how do you like that topper on your Dodge? Come in handy or get in the way? Looks great BTW!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/10/11
Originally Posted by lawnman
Shrapnel, how do you like that topper on your Dodge? Come in handy or get in the way? Looks great BTW!

It is quite useful and easy to work with. It has an extended top to allow enough room to get inside and move gear around and not be so bent over, you can't tolerate it. I have a hanger in the garage to leave it on when I am not needing the coverage, but it stays on the truck almost 95% of the time...
Posted By: lawnman Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/10/11
Thanks!
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/10/11
Someone from Florida suggested this.............

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mudhen Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/10/11
Right now, this is my "go-to" combo. Between the two of them, I get to just about everywhere that I want to be with a wheeled vehicle:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: willhunt4 Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/12/11
Here are a couple of my hunting rides.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The carryall/suburbans are really cool.
Posted By: duckster Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/16/11
Here is our newest edition. Will be the primary vehicle for my son in a couple of months.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/20/11
[Linked Image]

80 something, Cummins 5.9, Dodge tranny/transfer case and axles. The paint inside & out is bedliner, homebuilt flatbed.
One of the guides I work with built it from a pile of parts. Wish I was that talented.
Posted By: bethalhntr Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/20/11
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
[Linked Image]

80 something, Cummins 5.9, Dodge tranny/transfer case and axles. The paint inside & out is bedliner, homebuilt flatbed.
One of the guides I work with built it from a pile of parts. Wish I was that talented.

Awesome looking crew cab with all the power to boot, Nice.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/21/11
The moose hunting rig. It's really nice to be able to drive up to most any moose and load them up into the bed without any lifting.
[Linked Image]
But we do most of our hunting with these.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: splattermatic Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/01/11
and not a hummer H2 in the bunch.

til now !
[Linked Image]
Posted By: NYH1 Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/05/11
My '07 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4x4, Hemi, auto, 3.92 LSD, tow pkg. Sold the 275/60-20" wheels and tires and bought 17" factory aluminum wheels and 265/70-17 Mastercraft Courser A/T2 tires. . . . .WAY BETTER! wink

My 2000 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4 and my wifes 2002 Suzuki Ozark 250 on our 14'x8' trailer that my father and I built.

[Linked Image]

This is the first year my son (10 now, 6 in the pic.) and I have really done some pretty serious off roading on seasonal roads, logging trails and some clear cut areas. I had back surgery so we had to drive farther into the woods then we have in past years.

We've gone places I never would have thought we could go in my truck. The tires work really well and having the limited slip differential with the 3.92 gears gives me great control in 4 low. My truck is in very good shape so I don't bounce it off trees and stuff. There are trucks and SUV's that are certainly better then my truck off roading, no doubt about it. However, for what we use my truck for I love it, it's great!

NYH1! wink
Posted By: jolintaxidermy Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/05/11
Not as cool as the older trucks, but hasnt failed me yet...

2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hamr56 Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/07/11
Lots of great trucks on here. Here is my 79 Ford, ever since I was a little kid I wanted one of these.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: passport Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/07/11
Originally Posted by jolintaxidermy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dandy buck there mister!!
Posted By: AsphaltCowboy Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/07/11
Originally Posted by hamr56
Lots of great trucks on here. Here is my 79 Ford, ever since I was little kid I wanted one of these.

[Linked Image]

I had a '79 Crewcab 4X4 w8' bed and 12,000 hydraulic winch. Only reason I sold it was it was to easy to high center. Best damn recovery rig I've ever had.
I sure do miss that truck. frown
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/07/11
Lots of great trucks on here. Here is my 79 Ford, ever since I was little kid I wanted one of these.

[Linked Image]

hamr did you buy that bumper or build it?

This one is homer-made. I could never really find an after market bumper that tucked up by the side like I wanted. Plus for a truck like this, I wanted something that would really hold up.
Originally Posted by AsphaltCowboy

[Linked Image]

I had a '79 Crewcab 4X4 w8' bed and 12,000 hydraulic winch. Only reason I sold it was it was to easy to high center. Best damn recovery rig I've ever had.
I sure do miss that truck. frown

I hear you every time I drive this I am rocking the perma grin. I have a locker in the front and rear and it really can get with it in the nasty stuff. I don't have a winch yet, but it is on my short list for sure. It took me a while to find a 4 speed, but when I saw this one I was sold. Got to love that granny low! smile
It looks awesome man.

Dude, we need more pics of that thing!!

Posted By: JJHACK Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/08/11
You have a locker in the front? you mean Limited slip? or is it an ARB?

An actual locker in the front of a pickup in winter is a death wish on a paved road!
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/08/11
Lots of great trucks on here. Here is my 79 Ford, ever since I was a little kid I wanted one of these.

[Linked Image]

Sweet. Any other pics?
Dude, we need more pics of that thing!!

We sure do! And some details on that rig man. I like it a lot from what I see so far. What are you running for rubber?
Here's mine. A work in progress to say the least. '78 short box, 4-speed manual, 351M v-8, edelbrock 4v carb/intake, 3.55 gears

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/08/11
I love the pics of those old trucks! I had a buddy in college who borrowed his dad's restored highboy for awhile, dunno what year but it was pretty darned sweet. My personal favorites though are the late 60s early 70s style Chevys. I went out to look at one 9 years and some odd months ago. Came home and the wife handed me a little plastic thing that let me know we were blessed with our first child. I've bought/sold a few rigs since then and never have worked up the courage to go and try to get one. I'm afraid what I may come home to........

I'll post a pic of my suburban if I get her running. or I may stick a flaming rag in the gas tank and shoot it. It's about 50/50 right now.
Posted By: hamr56 Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/08/11
Really thanks a bunch guys! I am a sucker for 70's Fords, all of the ones on here are awesome trucks. My Grandmother is who I thank for my addiction. Long story short my Grandpa was a rancher who had a heart attack leaving my Grandma to run the ranch all by herself. Needless to say she was one tough cookie. We used to feed the sheep with a red 77 ford highboy in the winter. As a little kid this was about as much fun as a guy could handle, at least for this redneck.

My truck isn't all that special, all I have really done is put new carpet in it as it had green shag house carpet in it, I am not kidding. While it was nice to lay on, it wasn't much for keeping clean. smile Got the bumpers and bed rails made and put on. I however have noticed the rear rocker is starting to bubble. I am thinking a flat bed when the time comes as it would be easier for loading and unloading and less to worry about bending. It truly is an off road truck, so I don't want to get to a point where I cringe when I take it out for some fun.

Your right JJ an engaged locker is a death wish on icy roads. That is why I went with a detroit in the rear and a air locker in the front.

Outside of that the truck is the standard 1979 F-250 Ranger. It has a 400 motor that still runs good. Has a dana 60 and a 44 under it. I have installed some warn hubs as the factory ones were shot. Tires are 35 inch BFG Mud Terrain tires. Not sure if the 4 speeds are getting tougher to find, but for me it was. Seemed all the other 4 speeds I found had blown up rears. Sorry guys I don't have the greatest pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

I'll post a pic of my suburban if I get her running. or I may stick a flaming rag in the gas tank and shoot it. It's about 50/50 right now.

I was the same way with the GM I owned. grin
Sorry guys I don't have the greatest pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oh yes you do!

Thanks for sharing that sweet rig.
Posted By: hamr56 Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/08/11
Glad you like it tzone. Your profile picture is looking pretty good as well.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/08/11
really nice hamr, very inspiring too.

Posted By: AsphaltCowboy Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/08/11
Really thanks a bunch guys! I am a sucker for 70's Fords, all of the ones on here are awesome trucks. My Grandmother is who I thank for my addiction. Long story short my Grandpa was a rancher who had a heart attack leaving my Grandma to run the ranch all by herself. Needless to say she was one tough cookie. We used to feed the sheep with a red 77 ford highboy in the winter. As a little kid this was about as much fun as a guy could handle, at least for this redneck.

My truck isn't all that special, all I have really done is put new carpet in it as it had green shag house carpet in it, I am not kidding. While it was nice to lay on, it wasn't much for keeping clean. smile Got the bumpers and bed rails made and put on. I however have noticed the rear rocker is starting to bubble. I am thinking a flat bed when the time comes as it would be easier for loading and unloading and less to worry about bending. It truly is an off road truck, so I don't want to get to a point where I cringe when I take it out for some fun.

Your right JJ an engaged locker is a death wish on icy roads. That is why I went with a detroit in the rear and a air locker in the front.

Outside of that the truck is the standard 1979 F-250 Ranger. It has a 400 motor that still runs good. Has a dana 60 and a 44 under it. I have installed some warn hubs as the factory ones were shot. Tires are 35 inch BFG Mud Terrain tires. Not sure if the 4 speeds are getting tougher to find, but for me it was. Seemed all the other 4 speeds I found had blown up rears. Sorry guys I don't have the greatest pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man. That rig just looks Right. Wish my highboy CC had looked that good.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/08/11
A crew cab from that era with a cummins and a manual trans... air lockers, Dana 60's front and back... oh to dream.

Posted By: BIGR Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/09/11
Only one I have right now is my 2006 Chevy 2500HD Diesel. My beater 1987 S-10 has laid down with a fuel pump failure.

Attached picture Hunting rig.JPG
Posted By: NYH1 Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/09/11
A good friend of mines father had a '79 F-250, 351M, 4 speed, 4.10 gears. He bought it new. When I turned 16 in 1990 I wanted his truck or one just like it. One day out of the blue, he decided to sell it and bought a 1990 F-150. He sold for $1500. Which was a steal. It had low miles and was in very good shape. It was a real heavy duty truck. If I would have bought it, I'd still have it today.

NYH1!
Posted By: NYH1 Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/09/11
I had a '86 Dodge Ramcharger. I sold it to a guy I worked with. He had it for a year or so and wanted to sell it. My uncle is a die hard Mopar man, still has the '67 GTX 440, 4 speed and '69 Super Bee 440 Sixpac, it was T/F 727 car, he put a Hemi 4 speed in it. Had a '76 Dodge Power Wagon. So I told him the Ramcharger was for sale. Be bought it, then wrecked it a few years later.

A few years ago I wanted to build a nice off road truck. He was going to give me the Ramcharger. It has a 360, 4 speed NP 435 trans., NP 208 t-case, 9 1/4" limited slip rear end, Dana 44 limit slip front end with 3.21 gears, which were to high. First truck I ever saw with a limited slip in the front though. It was a tank!

I was going to rebuild all the drive train components and put them in a short box Dodge pick up to make a awesome off road/hunting truck. I was going to build a small block 408 stroker motor to make tons of torque from off idle to 4500 to 5000 RPM. Rebuild the NP 435 trans. and NP 208 t-case. Rebuild the rear end with a Detroit Locker and rebuild the front end was either another limited slip or air locker front diff. and go with 4.10 gears because it didn't have over drive. I wanted a nice truck that sat on 35 inch tires and could be really good off road. However, here in New Yorkistan there really isn't to many places to do any serious off roading. So I wouldn't get to use the truck that much.

I decided to buy another '78 Camaro. Figured I'd get way more use out of the car. I built a small block 385 stroker motor (350 block .040" over with a 400 3.75" stroke crank) with Vortec heads, it makes 325 to 350 HP and 400 plus FT. LBS. of Torque. It makes power off idle to 5600/5800 RPM. Had the TH350 rebuilt and put a 11" Coan Convertor in it. I had the rear end rebuilt with 3.42 gears and a Yukon Dura Grip Posi Unit (limited slip). The car runs great. The drive train has been totally rebuilt. Now we have to do the body and interior.

I'll do an off roader sometime, NYH1! wink

Posted By: NYH1 Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/11/11
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN

[Linked Image]

I could do a lot with the "Quail Wagon". Thats my kind of truck. The sky could be the limit on that. Nice truck, for sure!

NHY1! wink
Posted By: bucktail Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/12/11
A crew cab from that era with a cummins and a manual trans... air lockers, Dana 60's front and back... oh to dream.

I found you one with everything on the list except the cummins and the air locker. Sometimes I think I should have gotten it myself, but I don't have a good record on finishing projects that big.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/12/11
you and me both grin
Posted By: mtcurman Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/15/11
My dad's 1990 Cherokee... Pretty much stock with a 3" lift and 33" Super Swampers.

[Linked Image]

How it looked from Feb. to August... grin Montucky roads for ya, sheeeeesh. It's all fine and dandy until you realize your 4x4 Ford with chains on all 4 won't get to town...and there's water surrounding your house.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: chris_c Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/15/11
[Linked Image]
Heres my hunting rig, been hunting and crawled the hills of Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico. Fishing in Canada and of course wherever I need to go in Minnesota.
Posted By: meatax82 Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/18/11
[Linked Image]
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/22/11
[Linked Image]
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/23/11
that's a fishing/hunting rig actually.

Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/23/11
Good gas mileage.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mudhen Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/23/11
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Good gas mileage.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, but maintenance is a little more labor intensive! (I am jealous--I gave up my mule when we moved to town.)
Ya know, It just occurred to me that I'd shoot a horse but I'm not so sure I could shoot a mule or a donkey.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/23/11
Ya know, It just occurred to me that I'd shoot a horse but I'm not so sure I could shoot a mule or a donkey.

Obviously you have never been around feral donkeys. I spent a night on the Black Gap WMA over in Texas at a place along the river they call Las Vegas de los Ladrones (Outlaw Flats). You couldn't sleep at night for the braying of the feral burros. By morning, I would have gladly wasted any that showed.
I believe you.

lol!

And I'm sure I'd feel the same in that case.

Posted By: T_O_M Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/24/11
Originally Posted by JJHACK
You have a locker in the front? you mean Limited slip? or is it an ARB?

An actual locker in the front of a pickup in winter is a death wish on a paved road!

Laffin'.

When I bought my jeep "they" told me the short wheelbase would kill me on the packed snow and ice on the twisty paved mountain roads around here. I'm still alive.

When I lifted it, "they" told me the high center of gravity would kill me on the packed snow and ice on the twisty paved mountain roads around here. I'm still alive.

When I put the Swampers on it, "they" told me those tires would kill me on the packed snow and ice on the twisty paved mountain roads around here. I'm still alive.

When I put Detroit lockers in it, "they" told me those would kill me on the packed snow and ice on the twisty paved mountain roads around here. I'm still alive.

Do you see a pattern? THEY don't know WTF THEY are talking about. Don't be one of THEM.

Choice of traction aids is personal, just as much as action types, calibers, or clothing decisions. There's no correct one size fits all solution.

Tom
Posted By: Idaho_Elk_Huntr Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/24/11
My mall crawler

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: NYH1 Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/24/11
Originally Posted by Idaho_Elk_Huntr
My mall crawler

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice! wink
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/04/12
Good luck with that Tom, I'm sure you're driving skills and luck must be at the apex of human possibility.

speaking only from my experience, I would not put an auto locker in the front of a vehicle that was driven at highway speed on paved roads.

Your opinion is far different, for which I'm not "laffin" I'm jealous I cannot react as quickly or drive as skilled as you can.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/04/12
If the front axle has hubs you can unlock, you can put a detroit locker in it with no issues. I do realize no one makes axles like that. Tom, does your Rubicon have locking hubs? I can't tell from the pic.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/04/12
Almost nobody has and uses locking front hubs any more.
The Rubicon has the option, like the Dodge Power Wagon, of selectively locking the rear or both the front and rear axles. I'm with JJ, the only place I'd lock up the front is where I really had to use it. And that's not going downhill.
The guys I know that have such setups tell me that they lock the front rarely, and usually only to move a foot or two. Then they unlock it and proceed if possible. Alot depends on just what one is driving on or over. E
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/05/12
Originally Posted by Idaho_Elk_Huntr
My mall crawler

[Linked Image]

I'm diggin the Mall Crawler.
Posted By: BearKiller Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/08/12
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

First is my old hunting rig 1990 Dodge Ram Charger the second is my import hunting Rig 1989 Mustang GT 347 Stroker 14.0:1 compression with 2spd Power Glide and lots of other goodies smile
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/08/12
6.2L Raptor

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/09/12
Full time locker in the front is not the hot tip. Hubs or no hubs. What good does an unlocking hub do when you need 4WD on the street?

I have unlocking hubs, but I still use ARB lockers F&R.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/09/12
Mauser hunter, I was going to post that as well, but from some of the comments I just figured it would fall on deaf ears. It true, where is the logic in a 4X4 if you have to unlock hubs to have proper control on the highway?

I have electric diff lock on my Cruisers in RSA. Same over all selectable function as the ARB. It's the absolute best option period. However there is one fault with it for my business. When others use the vehicle and don't have a clue what all this means, they burry the truck with open diffs and then select diff lock, ..... too late then most of the time! Not a problem with the locker, but the education. It's just easier to have them automatic and leave the pin heads to remain in the dark.

I will say this one part about the auto locker, The complaints about tight turns on pavement and noise is often seen as a problem. For me, it's like music. I have something that is working and locking and I can tell it's there all the time. That rear locker makes me smile every time I feel that locking action and in gravel the crunching sound of that inside tire is like music!

Several of my friends with open diffs ask about that weird sound from the back. They get a disgusted look when I say it's normal. One in particular with minimal understanding of these things went to the Motocross track on my farm with his truck and mine. We put his truck on a banked turn with one front and one rear off the ground. I got in and told him to watch the tires while in 4wd. The two in the air spun free the truck stayed right there.

Then I put the land cruiser in 2 WD on that same berm and drove off every time. Only then did he fully understand the bigger picture. It's amazing to me that so few people really understand this open/locked diff situation. They all seem to say the same thing: " why is this called 4Wheel drive?" It's only driving two wheels! ......... I always reply .....yep sure is!

I've had a number of limited slip diffs in toyota pickups. Although they are better then a open diff, there is no comparison to the locker. Often times the limited slips will get a tire in the air and not spin! It takes a bit of light and accurate brake action to get it to grab. Again of no help to somebody without experience or not having been shown what to do.

I'll eventually put an ARB or electronic locker on the front, but before that Power Steering is my next priority
Posted By: 2Bimmers Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/09/12
Originally Posted by FOsteology
6.2L Raptor

[Linked Image]

I like that custom paint job grin
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/09/12
I'm sure most of you have seen this. It's my real hunting rig.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5847119/My_Jeep#Post5847119
Posted By: AlaskanMatt Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/13/12
Most of my hunting is done where full size vehicles aren't going to make it. Either for legal reasons (trail weight limit) or they simply can't make it, regardless of how well built they are. So here's my primary hunting rig - an '08 Yamaha Grizzly 700 with electric power steering, electric selectable front locker and 26.5" Pit Bull Rocker XOR's. So far it's hauled one moose and two black bears out of the woods.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wacenturion Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/15/12
Mine is a 1994 Ford Centurion C350 (1 ton), with a 460 for power. They didn't make many of these. Sometimes referred to as a 4 door Bronco. Have had it for nearly 15 years now. Great hunting rig with a ton of room. Even stock it sits higher for better viewing going down road. Just turned 117K and runs like new. Likes gas but will pull the whatever down the road, including my 22' North River Inboard Jet. Might say it's been retired to hunting and fishing use for the most part. Never will I part with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: pal Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/15/12
Pretty truck.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/15/12
Originally Posted by Wacenturion
Mine is a 1994 Ford Centurion C350 (1 ton), with a 460 for power. They didn't make many of these. Sometimes referred to as a 4 door Bronco. Have had it for nearly 15 years now. Great hunting rig with a ton of room. Even stock it sits higher for better viewing going down road. Just turned 117K and runs like new. Likes gas but will pull the whatever down the road, including my 22' North River Inboard Jet. Might say it's been retired to hunting and fishing use for the most part. Never will I part with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've never seen one of those before.

Cool
Posted By: tomk Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/15/12

1978 Moneypit:

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/15/12
Cool CJ5 hard tops are just plain cool!
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/16/12
I've seen one of those in the mid 90's at Bena Ford in Superior, WI. It was the only one I've ever seen. Cool rigs, yours is great.
Posted By: NYH1 Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/16/12
Originally Posted by BearKiller
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
First is my old hunting rig 1990 Dodge Ram Charger

Nice Ramcharger. I had a '86 Ramcharger 4x4, 360V8, NPG435 4 speed manual, NPG208 T-case, Dana 44 front and Chrysler 9 1/4" rear, both had LSD, first vehicle I'd ever seen that had factory front and rear limited slip differentials. I wouldn't have believed it if it didn't say it on the sticker in the glove box and I didn't drive it. That thing would go just about anywhere. It only had 3.21 gears. The tranny had a super low first gear. I still think it should of have 3.55 or 3.73.

My uncle ended up with it. He wrecked it. I was going to get all the drive train parts out of it and rebuild them and get another Ramcharger or short box truck and make an off roader. I got my '78 Camaro instead. Maybe when the Camaro is done I'll build an off roader.

NYH1! wink
Posted By: NYH1 Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/16/12
Originally Posted by Wacenturion
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is sweet! wink
Posted By: BearKiller Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/18/12
[Linked Image]
my other hunting rig 2004 ford explorer with bear bait barrel attachment lol
Posted By: AlaskanMatt Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/18/12
Last time I saw those barrels they were considerably more "used" looking than that. whistle
Posted By: tomk Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/18/12
locker in rear...:)
Posted By: BearKiller Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/18/12
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt
Last time I saw those barrels they were considerably more "used" looking than that. whistle

You are damn right they were more used Matt.. Still couldnt believe that brownie ripped that one in half damn near.. I am excited to get back out there when we get back!
Posted By: BearKiller Re: Hunting rig photo - 02/03/12
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just purchased
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Hunting rig photo - 02/04/12
This is the first day I brought it home .
[Linked Image]

My hunting truck love it but am wanting to get a Jeep too.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: romanski Re: Hunting rig photo - 02/15/12
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but thought I'd share a couple of pics of our go anywhere, multi-purpose rig. 1970 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 with more stuff than I can remember.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 02/15/12
Very nice!
Posted By: jolintaxidermy Re: Hunting rig photo - 02/17/12
Originally Posted by passport
Originally Posted by jolintaxidermy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dandy buck there mister!!

Thanks! used a knife I bought from you to get him cut up!
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 02/17/12
Love that Cruiser!
Posted By: NYH1 Re: Hunting rig photo - 02/18/12
More nice rigs! grin

NYH1.
Posted By: AlaskanMatt Re: Hunting rig photo - 02/19/12
That is one sweet FJ 40 Romanski! I had a 73 that I had to sell years ago. It was like getting rid of my right arm! shocked

Here's my first diesel truck my wife brought home for me a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait to get home and fix it up the way I want it:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ScottyO Re: Hunting rig photo - 02/20/12
JJ keep her in the garage n get an Jeep Cherokee-XJ.With a few mods they will get U where U need ta go,carry what U need,not break U at the pump...ScottyO.
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: Hunting rig photo - 02/20/12
[Linked Image]

80 GMC, Cummins 5.9, 5 spd, Dodge axles, and bedliner for paint, inside & out. One of the guides I work with built it. I have a 90 5.9, wish I was talented enough to build something like this around it.
Posted By: 429CJMach1 Re: Hunting rig photo - 03/03/12
OK I will play along...It's a 79 Bronco with a 460/c6 on 33's with factory trailer package. Will tow anything and go anywhere!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 03/03/12
cool bronco.
Posted By: PeteEinMT Re: Hunting rig photo - 03/03/12
Put in a TBI and plan on some ARB's front and Rear soon. I also just picked up a full hard top and have been running the half cab hard top this winter

Attached picture Scrambler.jpg
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Hunting rig photo - 03/03/12
98 Dodge Cummins, 9500lb winch, 4wd. 20 ft gooseneck, cleaned out to make kitchen and bed.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mudhen Re: Hunting rig photo - 03/03/12
Just curious: what do you do for heat? Is this a warm season only thing or do you just tough it out when the temperature drops?
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Hunting rig photo - 03/03/12
I havea 30K BTU propane,Blue Flame heater ,shown on the right hand side.Some guys say you get a lot of moisture.I have not seen this,except on very wet days.I also have it set up that I can put a wood burning stove in it with the vent going out thru a hole I have right on top of the pedestrian door.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mudhen Re: Hunting rig photo - 03/03/12
Nice setup! I have one of those heaters that heats my whole house. With a horse trailer, you don't need to worry about venting...
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: Hunting rig photo - 03/05/12
[Linked Image]

here's my 05 dodge 2500 cummins

big turbo, airdog II fuel filter/pump, full billet tranny, 5" exhaust, all gauges. ready to go anywhere, and pull anything ill ever need it to!
Posted By: smithwr Re: Hunting rig photo - 03/07/12
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Hunting rig photo - 03/19/12
acooper, Much like my truck, and much like your thoughts, I was surprised when I saw the way that my heavy diesel sinks like a fat chick in heels off road.

It's powerful and capable on solid ground, but if it's deep and muddy don't dare enter! I've used my 16,000lb winch many times and watched it struggle to extract that big diesel. It's also pulled the other rigs to it rather then unsticking me!

Posted By: saddlesore Re: Hunting rig photo - 03/19/12
Yea, these diesels are heavy.Especially on the front end. I try really really hard to not go where I might get stuck.That is why I have the critters in back.Realizing that a lot don't though.

Several times Ihad to chain the other vehicle that I attached to to some big object like a rock or 3 ft dia tree.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 03/19/12
Old reliable.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Hunting rig photo - 03/19/12
[Linked Image]
Posted By: badger Re: Hunting rig photo - 03/19/12
[Linked Image]

The big one pulls the little one smile
Posted By: GotAmmo Re: Hunting rig photo - 03/20/12
Nice looking set up
Posted By: moore Re: Hunting rig photo - 05/17/12
Nice bronco
Posted By: AKHuck Re: Hunting rig photo - 05/22/12
One hauls the other hauls the other..... I truly love Prious owners, they save more gas for my V10!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: idnative1948 Re: Hunting rig photo - 05/22/12
Old faithful, 92 F150 with 167,000 on it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: billy336 Re: Hunting rig photo - 05/23/12
[Linked Image]

how we do it down here
Posted By: dingo Re: Hunting rig photo - 05/25/12
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Maarty Re: Hunting rig photo - 05/27/12
Originally Posted by romanski
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but thought I'd share a couple of pics of our go anywhere, multi-purpose rig. 1970 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 with more stuff than I can remember.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've had two very similar, first one had a 350 chev in it and then we got one that had been killed and put a 400 chev in it.

My first hunting rig was one of these

[Linked Image]
A 1965 series IIa 88"
It was 5 years older than me and had never been over 30mph. It shuddered and groaned at 40 on the road till I'd had it about 6 months and a friend and I were on a trip. We were doing about 50 down a hill when the shuddering and groaning and squeaking stopped. We thought something had broken so we pulled over and checked the old girl out but everything was ok. After that she never made any weird noises.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Hunting rig photo - 06/01/12
Interesting pictures..It also strikes me there is no "perfect" hunting truck as hunting situations and peoples circumstances vary so widely.

In fact, with gas at $10 a gallon over here, I simply couldn't affard to run many of the rigs on here and even if I could, they couldn't get to many of the places I hunt because of their size..

I hunt mostly on my own and for smaller species of deer, so my little Suzuki Jimny does me fine although its very much a "compromise" vehicle..

Out in the snow when I first bought it:

[Linked Image]

An with a carcass of a roe doe..

[Linked Image]

The Jimny originally had folding rear seats which were just about pointless, so I removed them to increase the load area..

All in all, I would say a compact crew cab pick-up is about the best compromise as an all round hunting truck for the UK, and I am guessing the US also..

Posted By: hwgtyd Re: Hunting rig photo - 06/10/12
Here's my latest Hunting/Plowing/Convertible Rig. It is a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the 4.0L and 6 Speed manual. Over the past couple months I have made the following Mods: Zone 4.5" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs on 16" wheels, Bestop Flares, Poison Spyder rocker guards, Smittybilt rear bumper/tire carrier. I have had many jeeps over the years, and they always seem a bit too small. I'm hoping the extra room in this one keeps it around for a while.

Before
[Linked Image]

Now
[Linked Image]
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 06/10/12
Very cool. I just added this one to my collection of rolling junk.

77 F250 hi boy, 351/4 spd, 4.10 gears.

Bone stock and ugly as hell, I like it grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: poleman Re: Hunting rig photo - 06/10/12
Here's my rig. 1974 Dodge 3/4 ton, 4:10 gear's, 360ci powerplant, 727 auto, 8,000lb warn winch, KC Daylighter's to brighten up the night and 3 gas tank's (as she need's it for the vast amount of fuel it consume's). The thing I like about it is how dependable it is and how solid it is (not a spec of rust).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 06/11/12
very tough rig for certain.
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 06/11/12
I like those Dodge truck years.

the 3 gas tanks would scare me a bit though.
Posted By: hwgtyd Re: Hunting rig photo - 06/11/12
I am envious of you folks that live in areas where a truck can last more than 15 years without being eaten up by rust. Great old trucks!
Posted By: bigeasygator Re: Hunting rig photo - 06/28/12
My rig. 2005 5.4L F-150. Realize I don't have too many photos of the front (makes it hard to see the Big Tex grill guard and Deer Track grill insert)...I'll have to fix that. Added a few rod holders for some fishing down here in South Louisiana. Wanna add a winch to the front and roof rack and running lamps on top. Then some wheels and tires.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Hunting rig photo - 06/28/12
My new to me toyhauler. 1997 Ford F250HD 4x4 with 125k miles, auto with a 460. Gets about 10mpg hauling the wheelers.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: rkamp Re: Hunting rig photo - 06/29/12

95 Toyota with 40k on the 22re short block that I just picked up.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 25-06 Lilja Re: Hunting rig photo - 09/24/12
1987 TOYOTA cool

[Linked Image]
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Hunting rig photo - 09/24/12

I am considering putting a scabbard on my rototiller to carry my Savage 410...

[Linked Image]

Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 09/24/12
Originally Posted by 25-06 Lilja
1987 TOYOTA cool

[Linked Image]

Damn!! I really like that!

Where did you find one that still has a body on it? Lol!!

I thought those things basically melted in the rain!

Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Hunting rig photo - 09/24/12
All I have is this little rascal, 2007 Nissan Frontier V-6, 4x2, if I need to go deeper into the rough farmground, I borrow a tractor grin or walk. It's actually more than I need, most of the time, but the size is "just right".
I could actually go into rougher places with the older 4 banger I had, as it didn't have enough power to spin the tires, it just crawled along............
Good tires and a bit of weight in the bed will do wonders even without 4wd.

Attached picture deerseason2010 001.JPG
Posted By: 25-06 Lilja Re: Hunting rig photo - 09/24/12
1987 TOYOTA cool

[Linked Image]

A young man inherited this from his grandfather who bought it new in 1987. He kept it two years and bought a Jeep so I got it for $1,500 with 115,000 original miles on it. No rust and everything works from the factory AC to the tag lights. It had the original windshield in it untill last year. cool
Posted By: EdM Re: Hunting rig photo - 09/25/12
1999 F150.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AlaskanMatt Re: Hunting rig photo - 09/25/12
Originally Posted by EdM
1999 F150.

[Linked Image]

What is that thing hanging out the back? A kayak?
Posted By: tominboise Re: Hunting rig photo - 09/25/12
I have two for the most part:

[Linked Image]

I like all the rigs on the thread but the landcruisers are my favorites:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 09/25/12
1987 TOYOTA cool

[Linked Image]

A young man inherited this from his grandfather who bought it new in 1987. He kept it two years and bought a Jeep so I got it for $1,500 with 115,000 original miles on it. No rust and everything works from the factory AC to the tag lights. It had the original windshield in it untill last year. cool

Wow, amazing deal. I think my dad's 83 went for around 300k before it basically melted into the earth as a reddish stain in the soil. During that time most of the mechanical work was clutch, throwout bearings and manual trans related work. Warped the head once too if I remember correctly. He purchased it new and drove it right into the ground.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/03/12
Humbly submitted. "hunting rig photo"

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pal Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/04/12
Pretty.
Posted By: 24mileboy Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/04/12
Both of mine.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: KDK Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/07/12
Originally Posted by tominboise
I like all the rigs on the thread but the landcruisers are my favorites:

[Linked Image]

I like those FJ80s and FJ100s, but I really need to learn a lot more about them before I even think about starting to look for one. Nice rig, sir.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Hunting rig photo - 10/15/12
Since most of my hunting is done behind my home, this machine does most of what needs doing.

[Linked Image]

If I'm traveling to hunt, this is how I get there.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/19/12
I better toss a few pics of the official chickenbuck deer camp truck in here.

Just finished a quick, budget makeover to surprise my uncle during deer season over the past weekend. The truck used to be his, somewhat returned to it's former glory. It made him pretty happy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

photo in my hand here is dated 1979.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/19/12
I love it!
Posted By: KMDGarage Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/19/12
76 CJ7 360 CID Turbo 400 trans

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hamr56 Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/19/12
That is awesome Dave! You did a great job!

Lots of great rides on here fellas, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: duckster Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/26/12
That truck is awesome, Dave!
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/26/12
Thanks, just waiting for a little more snow.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/27/12
Thats cool Dave.The F 250 looks awesome.love it good job
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/27/12
Thanks.

It was just enough of an improvement to make the future of this truck... well, a future I guess. lol.

Now considering such things as inner fenders, radiator support, new floor pans... new springs... those things don't seem so silly any more.

We may just have saved the ole truck with our quick facelift.

grin
Posted By: Jamison Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/27/12
[Linked Image]
CDJ_4272 by Longshot1000, on Flickr

[Linked Image]
CDJ_4218 by Longshot1000, on Flickr

2000 Jeep XJ with too much stuff added to list. Its locked front and rear and will go mostly wherever I point it... It gets plenty of practice for the hunting trails on Jeep runs in the off season..
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/27/12
That looks like a lot of fun.
Posted By: Jamison Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/27/12
Its a hoot, especially with the wife and kids. We are adding a little armor now in bits and pieces. Rocks don't give...
Posted By: EdM Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/27/12
Just my F-150.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/27/12
Originally Posted by Jamison
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2000 Jeep XJ with too much stuff added to list. Its locked front and rear and will go mostly wherever I point it... It gets plenty of practice for the hunting trails on Jeep runs in the off season..

I have a question for you extreme off roaders. How often do you knock a tire off the bead when you get sideways like in the first pic? And if you do in the middle of something like that how do you get it out of there?
Posted By: willowcreek1996 Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/28/12
1994 landcruiser.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/28/12
My latest rig. 2001 F-250 Crew Cab, V-8 5.4l, 285/70/17 BFG KM2 Mud Terrains.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/28/12
I've got a picture of your truck too Tom, the wheels, tires and lid make for an awesome looking rig IMO.

Next to my ole lumber wagon:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KMDGarage Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/29/12
Hunting for Deer during a storm Here in Ca.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/29/12
That's a cool pic Dave. I think the red wagon needs a winch bumper though...

The Pizza Hut dude wanted to buy it last night. He thought it would be a great "bug out" vehicle. Though, he wasn't sure where he was going to "bug out" to when I asked him.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/30/12
Originally Posted by KMDGarage

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome, welcome to the campfire forums.

Posted By: KMDGarage Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/30/12
Thank you.
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/30/12
Great pic. Details on the Jeep?
76 CJ7 fresh amc 360,rebuilt th400 trans. All work done in house. 14bolt and dana 44 going to be swapped in in a few weeks.
Posted By: Jamison Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/30/12
Originally Posted by Rooster7
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have a question for you extreme off roaders. How often do you knock a tire off the bead when you get sideways like in the first pic? And if you do in the middle of something like that how do you get it out of there?

I have never had one come off the bead. If it did, I'd just drive it out and put the spare on. The guys that run less than 5 psi usually run beadlock wheels.
Posted By: desertoakie Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/30/12
76 CJ7 fresh amc 360,rebuilt th400 trans. All work done in house. 14bolt and dana 44 going to be swapped in in a few weeks.

You going to narrow the axles or leave that "roller skate" look? When I installed a 60 & 44 in my CJ8, I had em narrowed. Had to to be able to be street-legal. Nice CJ7 in any event!!
going to go full width and see if I like it or not.
Posted By: Jamison Re: Hunting rig photo - 11/30/12
going to go full width and see if I like it or not.

You'll love it. Much less tippy off road, especially on a CJ
Posted By: KMDGarage Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/01/12
it's a 76 so it's narrow track and drum at all 4 should be a real nice update.
Posted By: EricM Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/01/12
Dave - I love that truck! Nice job with it! Cool logo on the side as well.

KMD - Bada$$ jeep!! Love it!!

Eric
Posted By: desertoakie Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/01/12
When I'm not in either of of my 1960s Subs (posted earlier in this thread) then I'm in this one:
[Linked Image]
It's a '79 3/4 ton with military 1 ton axles (14 bolt detroit 4.56; dana 60 front 4.56 with added Powr-Lok); TH400/203, 11-16 Michelin XZL military radials, etc.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/01/12
KMD, I suppose you can shop for wheels with a heap of backspacing to help tuck the tires in if you are worried about width.

Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/01/12
Originally Posted by desertoakie
When I'm not in either of of my 1960s Subs (posted earlier in this thread) then I'm in this one:
[Linked Image]
It's a '79 3/4 ton with military 1 ton axles (14 bolt detroit 4.56; dana 60 front 4.56 with added Powr-Lok); TH400/203, 11-16 Michelin XZL military radials, etc.

Wow that's STOUT!

Posted By: AlaskanMatt Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/01/12
[Linked Image]

Nice! I love the older straight - axle subs. I would love to buy one and do a duramax/allison conversion on one someday. What engine are you running in yours? I assume big block with that TH400.
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/01/12
Sweet Suburban!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/02/12
Originally Posted by Rooster7
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have never had one come off the bead. If it did, I'd just drive it out and put the spare on. The guys that run less than 5 psi usually run beadlock wheels.

Thanks! Just a dumb question that I've wondered about for some reason? smile
Posted By: KMDGarage Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/02/12
Awesome Suburban. Love it.
Posted By: KMDGarage Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/02/12
KMD, I suppose you can shop for wheels with a heap of backspacing to help tuck the tires in if you are worried about width.

I was planning on running the H1 wheels withe the surplus MTS in 37"
Posted By: bgold Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/03/12
Awesome Burb.

Have a friend that did same with a 76 Blazer, but much prefer the extra doors on yours. With 4 kids, it's almost a necessity.
Posted By: KDK Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/06/12
[Linked Image]

I totally dig this rig!
Posted By: KDK Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/06/12
Wish you were closer, man. I would think you could do some nice work on my '84 CJ7.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/06/12
Here's one I took last Sunday that I liked of the Red Wagon down a recent logging road.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hamr56 Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/06/12
Cool picture Tom! How is that rig treating you? Manual, or Auto in that one?
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/10/12
Today on the way out of the woods. We closed up camp, deer hunting is done.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/10/12
Truck is good so far. It's an auto trans.

It got a nice test today we got a ton of snow and it handled it just fine.
Posted By: dubya Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/10/12
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's an AWESOME truck! Id love to have an old Ford.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/10/12
another one from yesterday.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/10/12
Originally Posted by dubya
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's an AWESOME truck! Id love to have an old Ford.

I happen to know a guy that might be selling one this spring. wink
Posted By: battue Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/12/12
I'm starting to like this one picked up last September. 2005 with 48,000. Now wearing a hat. Had a leaking water pump when I bought it and the dealer replaced it along with the timing belt. Runs like new.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: tikkanut Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/16/12

'07 Yamaha Rhino...pic taken November 2011

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KMDGarage Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/21/12
Originally Posted by KDK
Wish you were closer, man. I would think you could do some nice work on my '84 CJ7.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That makes two of us!
Posted By: RDW Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/23/12
After I finish my CJ this is the next project; however, it will not be a body off build and will not take five years to complete. It will be a daily driver and more appropriate for cross country trips and more secure in the city.

The 360/T400/QT will get pulled and stored in the shop, it may eventually end up in the CJ. The Cherokee will get a 5.3/4L60E/NP241C, 2"-4" lift and 31x10.50 AT's.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 222Rem Re: Hunting rig photo - 12/23/12
Beautiful Cherokee. They definitely don't make 'em like that anymore.
Posted By: RDW Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/02/13
Originally Posted by 222Rem
Beautiful Cherokee. They definitely don't make 'em like that anymore.

Thanks smile
Posted By: old_willys Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/02/13
Originally Posted by RDW
After I finish my CJ this is the next project; however, it will not be a body off build and will not take five years to complete. It will be a daily driver and more appropriate for cross country trips and more secure in the city.

The 360/T400/QT will get pulled and stored in the shop, it may eventually end up in the CJ. The Cherokee will get a 5.3/4L60E/NP241C, 2"-4" lift and 31x10.50 AT's.

[Linked Image]

Sweet!

I am interested in how your Cherokee 5.3 project works out, that is a project I would like to tackle, if I could find a �chief� half as nice as yours it would be my daily driver!
Putting a 360 in the CJ that should be an easy fit. I dropped an AMC 343 (predecessor to the 360) that came out of an AMX drag racer into my 72 CJ and raced it on the east coast off road circuit for several years in the 70�s. Always thought Jeep should have made the 343/360 an factory option.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/03/13
Originally Posted by tzone
Here's one I took last Sunday that I liked of the Red Wagon down a recent logging road.

[Linked Image]

Looks like a sharp rig Tom.Not much you can't do with a F 250 4wd.
Posted By: raybass Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/03/13
My new to me F250 4X4 5.4L V8. Finally back in a 4 wheel drive! 04 F250
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/03/13
I like it.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/08/13
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by RDW

[Linked Image]

Sweet!

I am interested in how your Cherokee 5.3 project works out, that is a project I would like to tackle, if I could find a �chief� half as nice as yours it would be my daily driver!
Putting a 360 in the CJ that should be an easy fit. I dropped an AMC 343 (predecessor to the 360) that came out of an AMX drag racer into my 72 CJ and raced it on the east coast off road circuit for several years in the 70�s. Always thought Jeep should have made the 343/360 an factory option.

A guy doesn't hear about many Jeeps being raced so I thought I'd mention this-I have an acquaintance that used to compete in SCCA rally racing with this-
[Linked Image]

As far as I know he still owns it, but he's mostly retired from driving competitively. At one time, somewhere in the late 80's I believe, he was ranked near the top in the nation among his competitors.

I worked on his service crew a time or 2 and always got a kick out of hearing that big 401 AMC motor bellowing bass notes out it's duals while all the other cars on the course sounded like high revving dirt bikes.
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/08/13
Originally Posted by 7 STW

Looks like a sharp rig Tom.Not much you can't do with a F 250 4wd.

Thanks. It's never seen a gas station it didn't like. grin

It has a 3" lift, LT 285/75/16 BFG KM2 Mud-Terrains, 5.4l, auto trans, lock outs, manual shift transfer case (which I like). It is a 2001 and only has 92K miles.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/09/13
Haha funny you mention fuel.Used my old chevy for the first month or so hunting last fall.West of town they have a straight away called 3 mile flat.Twice I opened the 870 up.Each time 1/8 of a tank was used.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/14/13
How about a fishing truck?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting rig photo - 01/15/13
What can you troll down to?

What speed to you pull cranks and planer boards?
Posted By: desertoakie Re: Hunting rig photo - 07/03/13
To resurrect this thread, I thought I'd post a picture of my "new" hunting/shooting rig. Its a 1976 Chev Suburban K20, 3/4T 4x4 in its original paint. No rust or dents. Truly a survivor! A slight transfer case bearing noise got the price down to $1,000. I'll be picking up a good used transfer case ($75) today to replace it with.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pal Re: Hunting rig photo - 07/03/13
Nice find. I had a (1987?) 3/4-ton 4x4 GMC Suburban. Nice enough truck but expensive to maintain.
© 24hourcampfire