Home
Posted By: ELKiller Boots... - 10/06/21
I'm currently using a pair of Lowa Tibet's, and they're great... probably the best mountain boot that I've ever used. The reason I'm thinking about a 2nd pair to wear, is to allow my Lowa's to dry out when I hunt in the rain/snow. A second pair of Tibet's is on the list, but I'm also thinking it might be nice to have something that is more of a hiking boot. I've looked online at the Lowa R-8, Lowa Renegade, and an Oboz boot from REI. I have a pair of Merrel's that are short, and the back of the boot rubs my Achilles area, so I'd like something taller than that. Prefer uninsulated, and they must, MUST, be waterproof - and stay waterproof for more than 3 months.

So, what do you guys suggest?
Posted By: ribka Re: Boots... - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by ELKiller
I'm currently using a pair of Lowa Tibet's, and they're great... probably the best mountain boot that I've ever used. The reason I'm thinking about a 2nd pair to wear, is to allow my Lowa's to dry out when I hunt in the rain/snow. A second pair of Tibet's is on the list, but I'm also thinking it might be nice to have something that is more of a hiking boot. I've looked online at the Lowa R-8, Lowa Renegade, and an Oboz boot from REI. I have a pair of Merrel's that are short, and the back of the boot rubs my Achilles area, so I'd like something taller than that. Prefer uninsulated, and they must, MUST, be waterproof - and stay waterproof for more than 3 months.

So, what do you guys suggest?

What seasons? How stiff? Leather? Price?
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Boots... - 10/06/21
MeindlUSA. Awesome boots
Posted By: Dogpopper Re: Boots... - 10/06/21
Crispi
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: Boots... - 10/06/21
I use Lowa Tibet LLs.
Posted By: ELKiller Re: Boots... - 10/06/21
What seasons? --- Archery (early fall), and 2nd or 3rd rifle (late October - mid November)

How stiff? --- Would prefer less or equal stiffness to my Lowa Tibets

Leather? --- Yes, prefer all or mostly leather

Price? --- Let's say $400 or less... I'd rather not skimp on boots.
Posted By: ribka Re: Boots... - 10/06/21
lowa tibet. crispy nevada gtx. gaiters of course too
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Boots... - 10/06/21
To be and stay waterproof for 3 months or more is a tall order...unless muck boots are in the mix (which I sometimes hike quite a ways in). I am sure lots of people here will chastise me for "recommending" them, which I am not.

Regardless of which brand of actual hiking boot you choose, waxing them heavily is the only thing I have found that keeps them waterproof. The sprays haven't worked for me for more than just a short hike.

Lowa Hunter GTX EVO are about all I use anymore (they're a bit over your $ amount though) but I have been eyeing Crispis and a few others.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Boots... - 10/06/21
Go to GJ's Cabelas & try them all on. Buy the best they have.
Posted By: SLM Re: Boots... - 10/06/21
Oboz will run small and narrow, which works perfect for me. I have also had really good luck with Zamberlan.
Posted By: pointer Re: Boots... - 10/06/21
I suggest you get a second pair just like the pair you apparently like. I've chased that rainbow and been disappointed. If it fits, it fits.
Posted By: woodson Re: Boots... - 10/07/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I also wanted a hiking type uninsulated waterproof boot to pair with my legit hunting boots. Opted for a pair of Crispi Nevada’s and Premium Monaco’s. Check out the Monaco’s, they may scratch that itch.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Boots... - 10/07/21
Crispi Idahos if you like ankle support.
Posted By: ELKiller Re: Boots... - 10/08/21
Thanks, gentlemen… I’m going to try on a few of these suggestions that are available locally. If nothing strikes my fancy, I’ll just buy another pair of Tibet’s and be happy with it.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Boots... - 10/09/21
Crispi Colorado for me. I only use them for a week of elk hunting each fall. They’ve passed three hunts and are still waterproof and very comfortable.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Boots... - 10/09/21
I rotate between Asolo Sasslong and Schnees Beartooth
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: Boots... - 10/10/21
Did 10 miles the other day with my not quite new, La Sportiva Makalu boots. Had some discomfort at the end but wore them again the next day. My third pair of La Sportiva's in 20 plus years of pretty consistent use. Would not buy any othger.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Boots... - 10/10/21
I’m an elk newbie. I bought some insulated Kennetrek pac boots for my first elk hunt last fall. They are heavy. I knew that before I bought them and I don’t mind the weight, but I’m sure I don’t know what I’m missing. I’m young and dumb enough to learn the hard way. My buddy is springing for a new pair after he tried the same boots last fall.

Weight aside, they are very comfortable and warm boots. They will keep your feet warm and dry. I did buy some wax for them and I will be waxing them up good before my hunt coming up in a few weeks.

I will buy a new pair of boots, but I will definitely keep these because I like them and they will definitely hunt well in the cold. I’ve spent enough money on gear for elk this year and I have no worries about getting by another year with these.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Boots... - 10/11/21
I was quite thankful for my pac boots in the cold and snow . I had Schnees, and still do and also some Hoffmans. I have not tried Kennetrek yet but have heard good things. I started wearing orthotics in mine and was able to cover some country on foot that way. Extra liners are must , imo!
Posted By: GF1 Re: Boots... - 10/11/21
I have a pair of Hanwag GTX, another Lathrop &Sons, both with Lathrop & Sons insoles. Neither has insulation, and with good wool socks I’ve not suffered a bit in single digit temps.

https://www.campsaver.com/hanwag-alaska-gtx-hiking-shoes-men-s.html

https://lathropandsons.com/collections/l-s-brand-boots/products/lathrop-sons-mountain-hunter
Posted By: Sheister Re: Boots... - 10/11/21
Can't complain about my Danners. For the cold weather hunts like late elk I use my 400 gram insulated boots and never had a problem getting cold feet or wet feet with Merino wool socks . The pair I have now are on their fourth season and still in great shape and super comfy. My older, uninsulate pair is on their sixth or seventh season and still work great. Sometimes the weather up here varies so much during the seasons an uninsulated pair is handy for those warmer days...

Bob
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Boots... - 10/11/21
^^ I have had great luck with Danner boots, I have a 400g pair also that is on 20 seasons. Only a couple seasons in the high country, but I have used them for bowhunting these baby hills in the coulee region. This will be their last season, and I sure could not complain. They are similar to the Acadias. I was going to get another set this year but can't find a size 15 this late in the season! If I get on the discontinued /sales early enough I can usually find something!
© 24hourcampfire