Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16503152 10/06/21
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm currently using a pair of Lowa Tibet's, and they're great... probably the best mountain boot that I've ever used. The reason I'm thinking about a 2nd pair to wear, is to allow my Lowa's to dry out when I hunt in the rain/snow. A second pair of Tibet's is on the list, but I'm also thinking it might be nice to have something that is more of a hiking boot. I've looked online at the Lowa R-8, Lowa Renegade, and an Oboz boot from REI. I have a pair of Merrel's that are short, and the back of the boot rubs my Achilles area, so I'd like something taller than that. Prefer uninsulated, and they must, MUST, be waterproof - and stay waterproof for more than 3 months.

So, what do you guys suggest?

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ELKiller
I'm currently using a pair of Lowa Tibet's, and they're great... probably the best mountain boot that I've ever used. The reason I'm thinking about a 2nd pair to wear, is to allow my Lowa's to dry out when I hunt in the rain/snow. A second pair of Tibet's is on the list, but I'm also thinking it might be nice to have something that is more of a hiking boot. I've looked online at the Lowa R-8, Lowa Renegade, and an Oboz boot from REI. I have a pair of Merrel's that are short, and the back of the boot rubs my Achilles area, so I'd like something taller than that. Prefer uninsulated, and they must, MUST, be waterproof - and stay waterproof for more than 3 months.

So, what do you guys suggest?

What seasons? How stiff? Leather? Price?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MeindlUSA. Awesome boots

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Crispi

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use Lowa Tibet LLs.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What seasons? --- Archery (early fall), and 2nd or 3rd rifle (late October - mid November)

How stiff? --- Would prefer less or equal stiffness to my Lowa Tibets

Leather? --- Yes, prefer all or mostly leather

Price? --- Let's say $400 or less... I'd rather not skimp on boots.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
lowa tibet. crispy nevada gtx. gaiters of course too

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To be and stay waterproof for 3 months or more is a tall order...unless muck boots are in the mix (which I sometimes hike quite a ways in). I am sure lots of people here will chastise me for "recommending" them, which I am not.

Regardless of which brand of actual hiking boot you choose, waxing them heavily is the only thing I have found that keeps them waterproof. The sprays haven't worked for me for more than just a short hike.

Lowa Hunter GTX EVO are about all I use anymore (they're a bit over your $ amount though) but I have been eyeing Crispis and a few others.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go to GJ's Cabelas & try them all on. Buy the best they have.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Oboz will run small and narrow, which works perfect for me. I have also had really good luck with Zamberlan.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suggest you get a second pair just like the pair you apparently like. I've chased that rainbow and been disappointed. If it fits, it fits.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I also wanted a hiking type uninsulated waterproof boot to pair with my legit hunting boots. Opted for a pair of Crispi Nevada’s and Premium Monaco’s. Check out the Monaco’s, they may scratch that itch.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Crispi Idahos if you like ankle support.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, gentlemen… I’m going to try on a few of these suggestions that are available locally. If nothing strikes my fancy, I’ll just buy another pair of Tibet’s and be happy with it.

Last edited by ELKiller; 10/07/21.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Crispi Colorado for me. I only use them for a week of elk hunting each fall. They’ve passed three hunts and are still waterproof and very comfortable.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I rotate between Asolo Sasslong and Schnees Beartooth

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Did 10 miles the other day with my not quite new, La Sportiva Makalu boots. Had some discomfort at the end but wore them again the next day. My third pair of La Sportiva's in 20 plus years of pretty consistent use. Would not buy any othger.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’m an elk newbie. I bought some insulated Kennetrek pac boots for my first elk hunt last fall. They are heavy. I knew that before I bought them and I don’t mind the weight, but I’m sure I don’t know what I’m missing. I’m young and dumb enough to learn the hard way. My buddy is springing for a new pair after he tried the same boots last fall.

Weight aside, they are very comfortable and warm boots. They will keep your feet warm and dry. I did buy some wax for them and I will be waxing them up good before my hunt coming up in a few weeks.

I will buy a new pair of boots, but I will definitely keep these because I like them and they will definitely hunt well in the cold. I’ve spent enough money on gear for elk this year and I have no worries about getting by another year with these.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I was quite thankful for my pac boots in the cold and snow . I had Schnees, and still do and also some Hoffmans. I have not tried Kennetrek yet but have heard good things. I started wearing orthotics in mine and was able to cover some country on foot that way. Extra liners are must , imo!

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a pair of Hanwag GTX, another Lathrop &Sons, both with Lathrop & Sons insoles. Neither has insulation, and with good wool socks I’ve not suffered a bit in single digit temps.

https://www.campsaver.com/hanwag-alaska-gtx-hiking-shoes-men-s.html

https://lathropandsons.com/collections/l-s-brand-boots/products/lathrop-sons-mountain-hunter

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.