Home
Will be carrying a Remington 700 in the boring old 30 06 cal. and an old school 3-9 scope
The same as for the previous 33 years, and my only hunting rifle….my Win. Model 70, 375 AI. Unless, I decide to use my handgun. I guess it will depend on the terrain that we’re hunting in! memtb
Second time I haven’t had a big game tag in my pocket since I was 16yo. (54 now)! First year was 1993 when I was in the police academy!

If I had a tag this year, I would be carrying my 1970’s vintage REM 700 BDL with a 24” SS barrel in 30-06 shooting 150gr. Barnes TTSX over 52gr. IMR-4064! It weighs 8lbs. on the dot with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40!

Elk Country
Pre 64 338 as usual..
Kimber Montana.
Tikka T3 light in 338 Win mag
For years it was a tricked out Rem model 700 in 340 Wby. Loved it. But now it would be a semi-custom 284 Win with a 140-gr TTSX at 3150 fps and I’d be comfortable with any reasonable shot.
I'll just take the Rem Mod 7 in 270 WSM loaded with 130 gr Nos AB's.
Rem M700 300WinMag 180gr NAB
Up to 350 yards or so, a tricked out RAR in 5.56 with a 2.3-15x56 Swarovski with turrets

300-600 yards a Browning A Bolt .270Win with the same scope as above.

Walking around/short range is a Winchester 94, in 30WCF with a Burris FFIII red dot on Turnbull bases. This is my favorite...
Going to shoot 2 cow elk with a Ruger 6mm, either 90 grain accubonds or etips.

Have 2 bull tags as well, either 7-08 with 140 accubonds or 7 RM with 160 accubonds.
Originally Posted by BuzzH

Have 2 bull tags as well, either 7-08 with 140 accubonds or 7 RM with 160 accubonds.

Didn't you see the other thread? The 7mm-08 is obsolete and won't work anymore.
Remington 700 BDL 8 Rem Mag, 180gr TSX and 2.5x8 Leupold scope.

Always wanted to kill one with a 6mm rem. I bet a 100 grain anything would smack one.
Kimber Montana in 338 Federal or 280AI for my trip this fall to MT. No telling what I’ll be carrying while at home in TX.
Same old 1968 Sako/Bofors 338. Gets the job done and so far, no complaints from the elk.
.338 Win Mag built on a Mauser action using 225gr Nosler Accubonds.
For elk? Tikka 6creed 108eldm's. A bull and a cow.
Originally Posted by Coyote10

Always wanted to kill one with a 6mm rem. I bet a 100 grain anything would smack one.

They do, I've shot a few with 100 grain partitions. I've also shot elk with the 90 grain accubonds, and 95 grain ballistic tips.
I've shot two with the 100 grain Speer SPBT from a 6mm. Both only from about 100 yards. Worked just as good as anything else...
I doubt I shoot an elk this year since I drew a buck tag for my Colorado hunt. And I have a special archery deer tag on the other side of the state during my local early elk season. But my son is hell bent that he’s shooting his first elk this fall. So we’ll be after them out in the hills for the early youth season and again during the later seasons if he doesn’t score during the early one.

He’ll be shooting his big gun, Remington 760 in 300 Savage. Probably with 150 Hornady spire points in front of 4895.
My first year elk hunting in 21 years. Never went during my time in Alaska. It will have to be the 400 Whelen. It has moose and caribou to its credit. Now it’s deer and elk time.
Pre64 FW
Will probably be grabbin' the aperture sighted 6.5x55mm a little more this Season.

Got the load worked out, and a poke of the Norma Professional 140 gr. NP as well.

And, for still hunting with an aperture sighted rifle, it's a bit nicer carry than an M1 if the .30 is not necessary.

GR
Tikka T3X Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor shooting 143gr ELD-X.
I have too many guns and too few tags to really say.

I can only get a spike only otc tag this year so probably an '06.

If I get frisky I might try a magnum of some sort. Most likely the .338.

I do have a new to me M70 pushfeed in .300 Weatherby I am loading with 200 gr NPT loads. It would work too.
My go to elk rifle is my .300 Weatherby Vanguard wearing a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40 CDS scope and shooting 180 gr Barnes TTSX bullets. But because I put about 100 hours of work into it's AA Fancy walnut stock, if it's rainy or snowy wet outside, I'll use my Stainless 7mm RM, Rem 700 that I put into a Wby Vanguard Griptonite stock and also wearing a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40 CDS scope and shooting 160 gr Accubond bullets.
Alamo Precision Rifles Maverick in 300 Weatherby shooting 200 grain Nosler Accubonds at 3090 fps!
270win or some something 338 cal.
I'm going to take my Bicentennial Ruger M77 in 7mm RM out of semi retirement and fill a cow tag.

For nostalgia purposes.
I am surprised at the number of .338s. It is an elk killer for sure. Not sure what all I may carry but one thing my old .300 will not be far away. It has been killing elk for 50 years, near far it does the job.
FOR BEAR SEASON a RUGER #1 35 Whelen , Burris RT-6 1-6 x24 illuminated , my handloads

FOR RIFLE DEER SEASON a RUGER #1 257 Roberts , Nightforce 2 - 10 x 40 ,my handloads with my grandson
RUGER #1 custom 257 Weatherby mag. , Nightforce 4 -14 x56 illuminated , my handloads when i am alone

no elk tag this year , but if i did have a elk tag 338 Lapua or my 338 Win. mag Alaskan
Easy choice for me. 90% of all my hunting is done with a 1948 vintage Winchester model 70 in 30-06 topped with a Leupold 6 X Alaskan scope. Twenty-six elk have fallen to this rifle plus about as many deer and antelope. Will be using some brand of 220 grain factory round nose on antelope this year just for the giggle factor.
Most likely my new-to-me Ultra Light Arms in 7mm-08. Mule deer and elk. Might use the Dakota Model 10 in 7x57 for deer.
The Whelen stays home another year.
I didn't get drawn but if I would have, would have used my 7wsm and 160gr accubonds
I am not….

Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I am surprised at the number of .338s.
No tag this year…. But last time I carried my 700 KS in 338. Next time might well be a Kimber Montana in 7-08. 210TSX in the 338. 7-08 will probably be 140ttsx or AB.
Open sited muzzleloader, .50 cal....
Originally Posted by GregW
Open sited muzzleloader, .50 cal....

Outstanding!
Got a cow elk hunt scheduled for early Nov in NM. I'll use a Winchester model 70 SG in 270win or a Ruger mk2 in 30-06.
Winchester Model 70 FW Winlite in 270 with 145 eldx or 150 NP.... OR an inherited Remington 760 Gamemaster in 30-06 with 165 NP.
70’s vintage BDL 25-06 slinging the 115 gr Partition.
Probably my Remington 700 30-06, originally an 80's rifle, now with a Benchmark barrel and a Pendleton stock, shooting a 168 grain TTSX over H4350.
Deer and bear season will be a model 1886 in 33 Winchester, Elk season will be a Winchester model 70 338 win mag.
The triangulation tug between T, Buzz, and Jack Handle may leave one wondering who got the short end of the stick.

No curiosity here, though.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
I've shot two with the 100 grain Speer SPBT from a 6mm. Both only from about 100 yards. Worked just as good as anything else...
Their chain rattling worked.
Nice of your therapist to let you on the computer for a bit.

Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
The triangulation tug between T, Buzz, and Jack Handle may leave one wondering who got the short end of the stick.

Uh, oh…..it’s the guy with the ‘4-some’ license plates.

Originally Posted by SLM
Nice of your therapist to let you on the computer for a bit.

Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER

I’ll never try a 4-some with your Iowa women again.

You grow them to big over there, was lucky to make it out alive.

About time to head back to your room for some tapioca isn’t it?
Is that seriously the best you have?

Never thought we’d say this, but contact Buzz for improved wit.

Don’t bother with dullards Jack Handle or greenhorn.

Originally Posted by SLM
I’ll never try a 4-some with your Iowa women again.

You grow them to big over there, was lucky to make it out alive.

About time to head back to your room for some tapioca isn’t it?
Trying to use small words and short sentences so you can keep up.

Guess I’ll have to dumb it down even more next time.
Oh, wow! Deep stuff!

Thank you for that!

What caliber are you chasing ‘em with?

Originally Posted by SLM
Trying to use small words and short sentences so you can keep up.

Guess I’ll have to dumb it down even more next time.
If I was able to go this year, it would be my Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger sporting a VX-6HD 1-6x24 with the CDS turret cap installed for 270gr Hornady SP-RP.
LH SS Ruger 9.3x62 and if I have a second tag then her little sister in 7x57.
Originally Posted by USMA1984DAB
If I was able to go this year, it would be my Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger sporting a VX-6HD 1-6x24 with the CDS turret cap installed for 270gr Hornady SP-RP.

Maybe next year?
Old Weatherby Vanguard with a Timney trigger and an ugly rattle can olive drab paint job in 300 Wby 180 grain TTSX scope a Zeiss HD5 3-15x50 Z800 reticle that matches the trajectory all the way out to 800 yards. Looks ugly shoots beautifully and expect to get new scratches on it every year.
Model 7 in 300 SAUM or my model 70 super Grade in 06 depending on the days weather
Sako 75 Finnlight in 300 WSM
I’m not going but if I did I’d take a Sako 338 Win Mag I have. The serial number on it is 8. The Sako boys say they weren’t built in order, but it’s cool to have a single digit rifle. That’s really the only reason I bought it.
I will not be hunting elk this year but do hope to get one more under my belt. I have used the 270 Win, 338-06, 35 Whelen and the 375 H&H and would likely use my Kimber Subalpine 30-06 if I try again.
280AI for me this October. Be my first elk hunt, so taking a rifle I’m very comfortable with
Right now, I am taking a .270 Ingwe and a .270 Winchester on my elk hunt this December.

That may change again in the next couple of months.
I'll be toting Percy, my 6.5 PRC....
Originally Posted by Sako76
Alamo Precision Rifles Maverick in 300 Weatherby shooting 200 grain Nosler Accubonds at 3090 fps!
I see you’ve come back to the Dark Side. LOL

.300 Weatherby Mark V, as usual. No deer tag in Colorado this year even though I was offered a landowner tag.
Depending on where I hunt it will be either the new 7 saum with 180 Berger’s or the new 375 H&H with 300 tsx. Nice to have options but these 2 haven’t drawn blood yet.
A CLR/NULA hybrid for over-watch and a Remington 760 for black timber, both shooting the same load.

In 270.
Win 94 in a 30/30 or hopefully a Ruger bisley in 45 colt. If it gets down to the wire 223 ack.
You just caused a few strokes.

Originally Posted by NMpistolero
If it gets down to the wire 223 ack.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I'll be toting Percy, my 6.5 PRC....

Did Percy and Miss Kimberly ever get hitched?
Originally Posted by SLM

Love it!
I will be using my Model 70 338/300 WSM. Less than 5 weeks to go.
Originally Posted by mjs3240

Where do you rifle hunt for elk in early September?
California
Originally Posted by smokepole

The Frank Church in Idaho as well. Or it used to be. Only place I’ve ever got to rifle hunt elk during the rut.
California

Schweet. Must be hard to get a tag.
Originally Posted by SLM

Not like they weren’t fixin to happen anyway. Lol
Likely just a cow tag this year, pre 64 M70 280 AI 145 LRX's.
California

I had 21 pp. I have one of 25 bull tags for the NW zone which is mostly Humboldt and Del Norte counties. As I am 78 this will most likely be my last elk hunt as the odds of drawing without max points is around 1% or less.
Originally Posted by beretzs

The Frank Church in Idaho as well. Or it used to be. Only place I’ve ever got to rifle hunt elk during the rut.

I don’t know if it is still done, but back in the ‘90’s gun season for elk was open in early September south of Jackson, Wy. out of Hoback Junction. Believe it or not…..it was a General Tag! We helped an elderly couple retrieve their cow moose ……killed far too far from their truck! memtb
California

I had 21 pp. I have one of 25 bull tags for the NW zone which is mostly Humboldt and Del Norte counties. As I am 78 this will most likely be my last elk hunt as the odds of drawing without max points is around 1% or less.

Good luck and hold out for a big one.
Looks like we are headed back to the Colo ranch. Unit 18 for third rifle. I’m probably going to take my old Husqvarna M98 Mauser in 9.3 x 62. May take my 9.3 x 57 for backup.
Tikka T3 in 300 win mag, back up is Sako Fiberclass in 300 win mag as well

Wife is carrying my Kimber Mt Ascent .280 AI with a brake

Son is carrying a Tikka T3X Roughtech in 300 win mag

Grandson, if ready, is carrying Kimber Hunter in 280 AI with a brake.
Tikka T3x in 30-06.
7mm Weatherby Mark V or Borden 300 WSM

The Church does indeed still have a Sep rifle season, as does the Selway. Montana has a few seasons like that too, all in difficult to reach wilderness areas.

Wyoming has a few general units in non-wilderness areas that start in late Sep too, the 26th IIRC.
This season was last January, I killed with the old 700 3006 and 165gr barnes for nostalgia's sake.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
This season was last January, I killed with the old 700 3006 and 165gr barnes for nostalgia's sake.

Kent

OTC AZ tag?
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

OTC AZ tag?

They opened depredation tags in Jan/Feb, then March 1st the same tags were OTC. I wanted to hunt before the draw so if I killed I would apply for a bonus point and not have to use my one give back if I drew a hunt. My buddies that didn't draw went OTC in March, in the same spot I killed mine and killed 2 more in the first 10 minutes of light.

You can only kill one elk a year here, though you can have multiple tags... otc/depredation/draw tag.

Kent
Thanks, good to know options.
Well, no antelope for me this year so will be hunting deer and possibly elk. So, I'll mostly be carrying a Dumoulin Mauser in 7x57 and possibly a Win. M88 in .284 Win. If I get a chance to go elk hunting it will be a pre64 .358 Win or a 300 H&H depending on where I go.
Well I will be carrying a 30-06 Mauser, take a receiver sighted .308, and a ruger 77 tang .35 whelen as back up rifles. As to the 6mm for elk. I've taken one cow elk with my .243, it worked I prefer the 30-06 .
Reming 700 classic in 6.5x55 Swede.
Top WithTalley rings and mounts holding a Zeiss
3x9 x40 MC. Can’t wait to give it a try on a Whitetail.
Old Rem 600 in 350 mag a short quick handling big game slugger. It’s gone now as I traded for a beautiful Mannlicher Schoenhauer 1952 in 30-06. Always wanted one as my high country elk days are over.

Rick

The Church does indeed still have a Sep rifle season, as does the Selway. Montana has a few seasons like that too, all in difficult to reach wilderness areas.

Wyoming has a few general units in non-wilderness areas that start in late Sep too, the 26th IIRC.

I'm hunting first week rifle in Wyoming (Gen Unit) and you are correct the start is Sept. 26th.
375 Ruger
Solo bull hunt in New Mexico pending on Oct. 1. Either the Winchester Fwt. 7x57 with 150 Partitions or the Talkeetna with 235 TSX's.
Winchester M70 stainless classic in 358 WSM with a Lilja barrel OR the same thing in 338 WSM with a Hart barrel. I'm working on the 338 and that'll be my first choice if I get it ready in time.
Hoyt VTM 32 70#@31”, 32.5” Autumn Orange Easton Axis 250 spine with a 200 grain Tuffhead.

Todd
Still planning to use my 7 saum for most hunts and the 375 h&h for some of them but drunk me recently stumbled into a killer deal on a ruger 77 tanger in 458 WM so it may take a walk or 2 in the thick timber just because I own it.
Have a 1-7 223 Christensen Pistol in the mail. Going to be my timber gun this year.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Christens...-223-Remington-105-1-7-801-11040-00.aspx
A 336 in 308 MX, or a 356 ER

Or a 99T in 300 savage
Mountains of Tucker County WV Thanksgiving week. .308 Kimber Classic Select/Kimber Montana 7mm08. If like last year I will have my best luck with a Nikon D850 + Sigma 150-600. Its a great week no matter what/how I "shoot".
Dakota M76 340 Weatherby in an Echols Legend stock
I burnt all my elk vacation hours on a 3 week trip to Alaska. frown

so technically speaking..... I used an Abu Garcia 6500 on a Pro Angler medium heavy..... caught lots of salmon on it too.
Kimber 84L Classic .30-06, 180 gr Hornady CX or if opportunity presents itself Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag HSM 305's for deer, fall bear and maybe cow elk.
Wife will be using a Ruger American 7mm-08 that I recently restocked with a B&C, huge improvement for that rifle.
If I get to bowhunt in Sept, Diamond SB1 with Slick trick broadheads for deer/ bull elk.
If I'm not tagged out by late season, Pedersoli .50 cal flintlock w/ Lee REAL's for cow elk.
CZ 457 .22 or ruger single 6 .22 mag for forest grouse. Or bow with a judo point.
Benelli Montefeltro or Win Model 12 for pheasants and sage grouse, Benelli for ducks.
LMT MRP 5.56 for coyotes, Ruger 7mm-08 for wolves.

I think that about covers it, no pronghorn tag this year, again.
Going to keep using my .26 Nosler on a Remington 700 Action I built couple years ago. Hope to get my second elk with this rifle to see if it turns out to be the right choice for a "one rifle for everything" gun... pretty sure my son will be toting my Pre 64 338 WM again...
I’ll be with my kids for deer and elk. Loving life

I will have my old faithful Tikka T3 06
My daughter TC venture in 270 win.
My boy kimber hunter in 6.5 CM
Back up rifle in camp tikka t3x SL in 6.5
I'll be using a Montucky Flatland Descent in 6.5 CM...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Browning X Bolt Pro in 300 WSM with my Kimber Montana 30-06 as backup
I'm poor and boring. My Marlin XS-7/VX-1 3-9x40 in .308 likes the green box 150's. The combo has worked for bear, deer and hogs, so I'm sticking with it for the spike season. Got a RAR in same caliber with same scope in case something breaks, but it hasn't let me down yet.
I have changed my mind on 2023's elk medicine. Instead of 105gr bthp I'm going with 108eldm's.
Fieldcraft 6.5 CM and Kimber Classic 7 SAUM both got used last year. A new Seekins Element 7 PRC will be first up this year. Might even use factory ammo...
Originally Posted by Brad

Hah! You must have the combination to my safe! I'll be using either 143ELD-X or 140 Partitions. Good luck to us.
Will be shooting my new to me pre64 M70 30-06. Shooting 168gr TTSX.
A 20” Rem 700 in 35 Whelen wearing a SWFA 1-4 IR 250gr @ 2600

A new to me Browning A-Bolt in 338wm with a Meopta 3-9 200BT @ 3000

And I’ll also use a 1953 mod 70 in 30-06 with 165TSX @ (~3000) or 150TTSX @ (~3100)

My other rifle that needs to draw blood is a 1965 model 70 in 7mm rem mag that was unfired when I inherited it and currently has 10 rounds down it. I put a Athlon BTR 2-12 on it and I need to play with it and decide if it’s staying 7mm or getting sent to JES to become a 338 or more likely a 358 Norma…
Custom 30-06 w/ 175 LRX at 2850. NF SVH 3-10 on top.
Montana in 7-08 always gets the nod.

Ruger Ultra Lite tanger in 260 Rem will be the backup

I'll take Dad's and Gramp's old 760s in .35 Rem and 300 Sav for a couple of walks

EDIT
Sorry, I didn't notice that the thread was in the Elk Hunting forum. Assumed it was in General Hunting. Anyway, first choice would have been the same.
Originally Posted by Brad

I recognize those flatlands in the background. T/C Triumph .50 caliber for me, this weekend.
This 6.5 CM
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

or This 7mm PRC

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Both are awaiting their suppressers release from ATF jail.
Headed to Utah with a ULA 300 Win shooting 165 Barnes
New to me Mod. 70 "Westerner" 264 mag & 140 gr. Partitions
Yes a pre-64
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
Yes a pre-64

Lucky Devil!
Yes I am!
.338 Win Mag
Rem 700 as always
For deer, mod 700 Rem in 260 Rem with 120gr Speer hot core. For elk it'll be my mod 70 featherlight in 6.5x55 with 140gr speer hot core. Who knows, maybe someday I'll even get a tag to go with my rifles!
My elk rifle this year is a Sako M85 Kodiak Stainless steel .375 H&H equipped with Zeiss 1.2-5x36 illuminated reticle scope, loaded with old style 270 gr. Hornady RN bullets. Figure it should work as well as any other I've used.
Cooper Classic, .30-06 with 180 grain TTSX
Two will go on the out of state elk hunt. A 8.5 lb model 70 post 64 in blind magazine McMillan hunter stock in 300 RUM using 230 Bergers and a 7 1/2 lb Ruger M77 tanger in McMillan ultralight stock in 338 RCM using 225 accubonds.

Many elk have succumbed to these rifles. Intend to get #30 this year.
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Two will go on the out of state elk hunt. A 8.5 lb model 70 post 64 in blind magazine McMillan hunter stock in 300 RUM using 230 Bergers and a 7 1/2 lb Ruger M77 tanger in McMillan ultralight stock in 338 RCM using 225 accubonds.

Many elk have succumbed to these rifles. Intend to get #30 this year.
Any time you have a rifle with a long track record of success there is no reason to change a thing.
Seekins havak element 7 prc, 180 elds, athelon 2-12. It's just a cow tag so I may take something lighter so my 11 year old kid could use my rifle too in a pinch.

Bb
Leave in less than a week for wy, hunting up close to the park. I was going to take my old Ruger 338 but couldn’t get it to group the Accubonds. Taking my 7STW with 160 accubonds, it’s easily my most accurate rifle just heavy!
As always my customized marlin dark 45-70. Killed a 5x5 at 30 yds again this year. Love that rifle for calling elk!
Our hunt is still questionable! If we get to go, the wife will be using her “tried & proven” Model 70 SS Winchester in .338WM! memtb
Rem 700. 280 rem. 140 core lokts.

The Bob Marshal in Montana does also; or rather, it did not too long ago. Great wilderness area.
Same as the last eight or so years, Rem 700 8x68S or a Stiller Predator 7mm Rem Mag.
Originally Posted by memtb
Our hunt is still questionable! If we get to go, the wife will be using her “tried & proven” Model 70 SS Winchester in .338WM! memtb

I wish I was going this year. I feel deprived. Moving to Nevada has it's downfalls. These are what I'd probably use, if going:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My trusty pre 64 semi custom 338wm on top and the pre 64 300WBY on the bottom. Both hold 4 in the magazine and both weigh in at 8 pounds, as shown.. They shoot damn well with their "elk loads" as well.

In 2021 I used my Tikka T3x 7MM-08 and 140 TTSX. Worked great. Just about all of my rifles are set up for elk hunting, but you can only hunt one at a time.
Nice rifles, it’s a shame that you’re not going to get to use them!

If we don’t make a hunt…..we can cry over our beer together!memtb
Can’t make it this year but if I was going, I’d be carrying my 700 Stainless Mountain Rifle shooting 180 Accubonds over 58 grs of H4350 😁
I took my VZ-24 in 8X57. It was loaded with 175 gr Sierra Pro Hunters at ~2,800 or so fps.
Two weeks ago I shot a Canadian moose with my .300 Weatherby and my 180 gr Barnes TTSX handloads. I brought home 3/4 of the meat which filled my freezer and the freezer of my garage refridgerater. I have Montana elk and deer tags, but I think that my season is over because I'm out of freezer space and I don't hunt to give the meat away.
Another happy .270 wcf user, Browning B78
150 or 160 Partition's pushed along with RL 26.
I do carry a .450 Marlin BLR takedown to for 2nd and third loads...and a Norinco 12 gauge takedown is always in my pack, It looks sawed off ,legal in Canada and not in the USof A
Others, Browning bolt action 30/06 FN
Browning BLR takedown .270 wcf
Remington 700, 25/06...using partitions.
Im pretty sure I made up my mind lol. My Winchester 338 stainless classic in a Brown precision stock dual dovetail rings and bases, loaded with 210 partitions @ 2940 fps. 5 shots into a inch. Honestly usually shoot just 3 but did the 5 yesterday and added a 6th 225 into the same group. Multiple 3 shot groups under the inch mark yesterday. I have been hunting that rifle since the early to mid 90’s. It works.
Back up thoughts are a Browning 7mag shooting a 140 Barnes TTSX at 3000 fps the scope is probably a little big for a scabbard on a horse.
Or a 300 Weatherby with 180 Nosler BT’s.
Seems like a lot of guys are still toting big iron for elk.
I got it done last week in Wyoming with a Tikka T3x .30-06 w/ 1:11 twist. 57.0 gr IMR-4350 and 165 NAB. 1st shot at 330 yds was a solid hit. 2nd shot at 350 put him down. 7x6 bull. Almost went with the 165 TGK which shot slightly better, but went with a bullet I have some history with.
I like to hit elk hard. I always have or try out beforehand a stout cartridge. I've killed only four cows out here in 20 yrs (different reasons) My first was a 23" 30-06 with Hornady LM 180SP (going 300 H&H speed) 2nd was 375 H&H 300 Sierra ( was headed to South Africa later and wanted to see what the Sierra did.) It was too soft, opened too fast/made 5" exit wound. too much bs meat I dropped back to 270gr Fail Safe factory loads. 3rd was with a 338WM/185 Barnes, last was a 300WM/175 LRX. I am currently going to wring out a new to me Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 338-06. I will focus on 200-210s first before a 185-210 mono.
My back-up minimum for me is a 25" barreled 7x57 with 160 Partition. My 'close range, timber" minimum is a 30-30 Ackley Improved with warm 170 Speers or 190 Hawk. With both I would pass on anything but a High Shoulder( would expect to anchor if not kill outright) or both lungs shot. No hard angles.
It’s the same rifle I’ve used for the last 30 years.
A model 70 featherweight classic in 35 whelen built by Matt Stewart. It sure ain’t one of those long range 6.5 thingy’s but it hits elk with a 225gr Partition at 2750 fps.
I shot a 5x5 yesterday and it looked like he got hit by a concrete truck! Dropped right where he was hit-
60 feet to one side and he would have gone over the edge of the mountain and I would need a helicopter to retrieve him !!
I’ll be packing my Remington 700 in 338 win mag., shooting a 225 Accubond.

Might switch up after a couple days to my Remington 725 in 30-06 shooting a 165 Interlock.
Already added one notch more on my old .300 win mag. It his been killing elk since 1973. Used a 165 Accubond this year at 426 yards.
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Will be carrying a Remington 700 in the boring old 30 06 cal. and an old school 3-9 scope

Something in the .280 - 7rem mag - 30-06 range.

First two Rugers a tang safety and a hawkeye the third 'sporterized' 1917 Enfield

Vari-x II 3-9x40, VX-III 2.5-8x40 I think and a hawk 4-12x40 AO

I may have done something un-american by not ever killing an elk with a 30-06..... Trying to change that this year with the ol' Enfield and 165 gr. btips.
I've been asking myself this question. Kinda like asking myself what type shot opportunity will I have.
I've eliminated my long range rifle from consideration.
7 mag BLR maybe. It should have been retired or rebuilt years ago. Barrel is shot out, it has seen so much weather and the finish is so bad that the action will rust shut if we have a week of rain - or less. I carried it so many seasons that it feels like an appendage of my body. Killed over four dozen big game animals.
or
New .308. Never killed nothin' but shoots nice groups. It's light and the recoil doesn't beat the bejezus out of my arthritic bones.
Looks like I'll be taking my 338 WSM. Winchester M70 stainless classic with a Hart barrel. It ships a 215 gr Sierra Game King at 2890. I hope I get a chance to try it out!
Since 1975 its been a 340 Weatherby MK V.
My son got his first Elk late yesterday evening, a cow. Using a T-C Icon in 243, Kahles 3.5x10x50, using handloaded 80gr Barnes TTSX.

Head-on shot at about 240-245yds, and she went down so fast we thought he missed. Bullet broke the left shoulder, punched through the left lung (it was shredded) and was somewhere in the intestines. I don't think she wiggled.
I was hesitant for him to shoot, it is a 243 after all, and it is an elk at 240yds facing us, but the bullet was placed right and the Barnes did what a Barnes does, and that's kill stuff.

Me, I had been using a Harrington & Richardson Ultra Rifle in 270, since about 1970, until my Dad gave me his much used Model 70 in 30-06 in 2002, shortly before he passed away. So now, the 270 is the 'light' duty gun and the 30-06 is for big stuff.

130gr Barnes TTSX in the 270 and 168gr TTSX in the '06. I can't tell any difference in killing ability.
Older model 700 .06 that’s been customized, it really likes 180gr nosler partitions and the partitions perform well.

Osky

Edited to add I’ve a young lady coming out who will be taking her first elk and mule deer using a tuned up Tikka .243 with 100gr Core-Lokt rounds.
My first choice is a nice Mannlicher Schoenhauer 30-06 1952 and a 1952 Win 70 lightweight 30-06. The Mannlicher is a rich man’s gun but trust me I’m not, it was just a good trade for a couple Rem 600’s in 350 mag and 6 Rem. My other is a Rem Mtn Rifle KS in 30-06 AI. Before I traded my 600 350mag it was my favorite

Rick
Watched a bull taken cleanly with a 28 Nosler at 800 yards Saturday. That was a first.
Punched my tag last weekend in CO, used my 7mm Mashburn with 160gr Accubonds. Punched him in the boiler room from 400yds. He walked around in a circle so I put second one into his shoulder and that was it.
Always have used my old boring Remington 700 in 338wm with Barnes 225’s that a gunsmith buddy built for me years ago. Hasn’t failed me yet.
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
Yes a pre-64

It worked just fine, 1 shot, 1elk!
Didn’t get drawn this year but it would be a Ruger 77 and a Tikka T3x both in .30-06
Fierce fury 300wsm shooting terminal ascent 200 gr.

Has taken enough elk and deer now, there's not really another choice.
Dang, looks as if Im all alone with my custom Mauser action, with custom walnut stock and custom barrel in 257 Roberts caliber. It has 2 elk to its credit and better not tell how many whitetails. Inherited this rifle from my brother who in turn received it from our cousin. If I miss, its all my fault.
Been wanting to get some blood on my dad’s ruger. So I Ended up taking the tanger 06. Vx1 4-12 with their version of BDC? Had the tikka in the cabin as a back up or if weather got nasty.
She was Loaded with 180 game kings. I Had small stash of moms and dads ashes with me that I was going to drop off in my honey hole as I want to be have of my ashes there. 15 minutes into sitting down waiting for my daughter to come up from The other side. I Had a heard of good 70-80 head of elk come out from behind me to my right . They walked in front me and kept on moving through the clearing until the whole heard was up. I had the second half of the heard in front me feeding.
It was a spike season and the only spike in the bunch was in the first half that is now feeding in and out of the trees where my daughter was suppose to be set up. This was About 100 -120 yards to my 10-11 oclock.
Heard no gun shot so I knew she wasn’t at her spot yet. Tried to find that spike on the other side but couldn’t and with the nearest cow maybe 40 yards from me, I couldn’t make too much movement. Every time I came across a cow looking at me I had to stop moving and wait untill she looked down. After 10 minutes of this my arms were on fire and no spikes. Just few rag horns, one solid 5x and the biggest branch bull Ive seen in this unit. I’ve hunted this area for 15 years now. When they finally started moving out I got up and by the time I got to the clearing my daughter ended up running into them and bumped them across a clearing.
I never spread mom and dad’s ashes, and I’ll be hunting with them more often.
* Few weeks later a guy posted a pic of this bull shot on private late season tag.
Got a cow with my Wby Vanguard 270 Win and handloaded 145 Eld-X bullets. I carried my Howa 300 PRC a couple times but did not see anything on those trips.
Originally Posted by Dre
* Few weeks later a guy posted a pic of this bull shot on private late season tag.

That's a helluva bull.

MM
Originally Posted by Dre
Been wanting to get some blood on my dad’s ruger. So I Ended up taking the tanger 06. Vx1 4-12 with their version of BDC? Had the tikka in the cabin as a back up or if weather got nasty.
She was Loaded with 180 game kings. I Had small stash of moms and dads ashes with me that I was going to drop off in my honey hole as I want to be have of my ashes there. 15 minutes into sitting down waiting for my daughter to come up from The other side. I Had a heard of good 70-80 head of elk come out from behind me to my right . They walked in front me and kept on moving through the clearing until the whole heard was up. I had the second half of the heard in front me feeding.
It was a spike season and the only spike in the bunch was in the first half that is now feeding in and out of the trees where my daughter was suppose to be set up. This was About 100 -120 yards to my 10-11 oclock.
Heard no gun shot so I knew she wasn’t at her spot yet. Tried to find that spike on the other side but couldn’t and with the nearest cow maybe 40 yards from me, I couldn’t make too much movement. Every time I came across a cow looking at me I had to stop moving and wait untill she looked down. After 10 minutes of this my arms were on fire and no spikes. Just few rag horns, one solid 5x and the biggest branch bull Ive seen in this unit. I’ve hunted this area for 15 years now. When they finally started moving out I got up and by the time I got to the clearing my daughter ended up running into them and bumped them across a clearing.
I never spread mom and dad’s ashes, and I’ll be hunting with them more often.

What dreams are made of right there, congratulations!

1 vote for .300 Win Mag here.
Getting too old (or lazy) to pack or put up with a heavy rifle or one that has a lot of recoil.
So picking a rifle out of the safe has been pretty easy. Since about 2017 I’ve been using my Kimber 6.5CM and whatever 140’s I’ve got loaded up. It’s taken an elk each year since purchase.

It’s not so much what you hit em with as where you hit em.
The hardest part of elk hunting is finding elk......
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Dre

That's a helluva bull.

MM
It is!
too bad I only had a spike tag, otherwise that would be me behind that stud.
I killed 2 elk this year, one with my 338 Norma, one with my 6.5-284. Both elk never moved 5 feet.
Would have been a Tikka 6.5 Creed ... if drawn.
Originally Posted by centershot

Won't be using that combo again. What a chit show. Took 6 shots to kill this funky looking bull. First shot right in the pocket at 200yds, second shot just a bit back but still in vitals as he was moving out about 250yds, 3rd shot clipped the right rear hawk as he was really moving out and dropping out of sight at that point. Searched around for 20 minutes (full expecting to find a dead bull) then found where he had dropped down crossed a road. He left skid marks on the frozen ground where he stopped and got ready to jump a fence. Found fresh hair on the fence so we knew it was him - but, he had gone onto private property. Made a big loop out and around to stay on public land and finally caught his tracks again. Saw him at about 50 yards - frontal shot between 2 tightly spaced pine trees. Popped him again in the neck/shoulder area and he ran off again. Caught up again and put 2 more in him from 50 yards broadside before he finally dropped. 143gr 6.5mm ELD-X's will be reserved for deer bullets from now on. Bummer because they shoot tiny groups out of my Tikka.

Won't be using that combo again. What a chit show. Took 6 shots to kill this funky looking bull. First shot right in the pocket at 200yds, second shot just a bit back but still in vitals as he was moving out about 250yds, 3rd shot clipped the right rear hawk as he was really moving out and dropping out of sight at that point. Searched around for 20 minutes (full expecting to find a dead bull) then found where he had dropped down crossed a road. He left skid marks on the frozen ground where he stopped and get ready to jumped a fence. Found fresh hair on the fence so we knew it was him - but, he had gone onto private property. Made a big loop out and around to stay on public land and finally caught his tracks again. Saw him at about 50 yards - frontal shot between 2 tightly spaced pine trees. Popped him again in the neck/shoulder area and he ran off again. Caught up again and put 2 more in him from 50 yards broadside before he finally dropped. 143gr 6.5mm ELD-X's will be reserved for deer bullets from now on. Bummer because they shoot tiny groups out of my Tikka.

Bob Hagel once wrote a few words that should be engraved in the mind of every big-game hunter. He stated, “You should not use a cartridge that does the job when everything goes right; you need one that works when everything goes wrong.”The late John Wooters felt the same way about elk.Yes you can kill an elk with a small cartridge and light weight bullets,but if you don't put them down right away and run,your gonna play hell trying to keep up with them for follow up shots.A bad hit is a bad hit with any cartridge used,but a bigger cartridge can make a bigger wound channel on those big animals and make a difference in some cases of being able to recover the animal or not.
Originally Posted by baldhunter

Won't be using that combo again. What a chit show. Took 6 shots to kill this funky looking bull. First shot right in the pocket at 200yds, second shot just a bit back but still in vitals as he was moving out about 250yds, 3rd shot clipped the right rear hawk as he was really moving out and dropping out of sight at that point. Searched around for 20 minutes (full expecting to find a dead bull) then found where he had dropped down crossed a road. He left skid marks on the frozen ground where he stopped and get ready to jumped a fence. Found fresh hair on the fence so we knew it was him - but, he had gone onto private property. Made a big loop out and around to stay on public land and finally caught his tracks again. Saw him at about 50 yards - frontal shot between 2 tightly spaced pine trees. Popped him again in the neck/shoulder area and he ran off again. Caught up again and put 2 more in him from 50 yards broadside before he finally dropped. 143gr 6.5mm ELD-X's will be reserved for deer bullets from now on. Bummer because they shoot tiny groups out of my Tikka.

Bob Hagel once wrote a few words that should be engraved in the mind of every big-game hunter. He stated, “You should not use a cartridge that does the job when everything goes right; you need one that works when everything goes wrong.”The late John Wooters felt the same way about elk.Yes you can kill an elk with a small cartridge and light weight bullets,but if you don't put them down right away and run,your gonna play hell trying to keep up with them for follow up shots.A bad hit is a bad hit with any cartridge used,but a bigger cartridge can make a bigger wound channel on those big animals and make a difference in some cases of being able to recover the animal or not.

My friend…….we have the same signature line! As you stated, a lot of wisdom in that statement! memtb
I am using the rest of my ELD X bullets at the range (7 PRC). Had a similar experience on a cow last month.
Originally Posted by baldhunter

I believe it's enough gun, plenty of elk killed with .308 Win's or it's offspring (or similar) to know it works. I don't think it's the right bullet for the job. And it pisses me off that it is advertised as such. FWIW: That was elk #17 for me.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I am using the rest of my ELD X bullets at the range (7 PRC). Had a similar experience on a cow last month.

Too bad because they are very accurate. If I ever use the Creedmoor again I'll use good old Interlocks or Partitions.
Yes I agree,bullets make a big difference no matter what cartridge your shooting.

Too bad because they are very accurate. If I ever use the Creedmoor again I'll use good old Interlocks or Partitions.
It seems counterintuitive, based on the naming and marketing, but I would recommend you try the 147 ELD-M instead of the 143 ELD-X.
Centershot.
How did the elk internals look. Did you recover any the bullets? How deep Did they penetrate, or did they hit bone?
if you hit the vitals/lungs with the first and second shot. It’s surprising the elk covered that much ground with multiple shots in him.
Typically for elk I reach for one of my Model 70 .30-06’s, they are my favorites.
Centershot and others here have learned the same lessons I learned way back in the 70s and early 80s.

For elk use bullets that hold together!

I prefer bullets that hold most of their weight on all game, but I'll admit it's not as important as the game gets smaller and smaller.

But for large deer and any game from about 250 pounds and up I always recommend a bullet that expands but doesn't break up completely. Diameter and shape of the case are both well behind bullet construction in importance when it comes to killing larger game.

A man using a 243 loaded with bonded, expanding copper or Partition bullets has a better tool for killing elk then a man carrying a 7MM Magnum or 300 Magnum loaded with bullets that break apart.
But a powerful rifle loaded with good bullets that hold together and pernitrate in a pretty straight line is the best combination across the board.
Amen!
Depends what place(s) I get a tag. Could be anything from a 270 to a 300 Weatherby or a 35 Whelen or either a 375 Whelen AI or 375 H&H AI.

Terrain, distance knowledge of area where I’m going…
Originally Posted by Dre
Centershot.
How did the elk internals look. Did you recover any the bullets? How deep Did they penetrate, or did they hit bone?
if you hit the vitals/lungs with the first and second shot. It’s surprising the elk covered that much ground with multiple shots in him.

Did find this bullet on the off side under the hide. I think it weighs 64gr. if I remember correctly. I did not do an autopsy - just cut him up and got out of there. From where I shot him the first time to where he finally died was approximately 1/2 mile (close as I can get from google earth). I think the bullets blow up before they get deep penetration. Dumping all that energy in ~12" is great for deer size critters but not so good when the game is larger.

Originally Posted by Dre
Centershot.

Did find this bullet on the off side under the hide. I think it weighs 64gr. if I remember correctly. I did not do an autopsy - just cut him up and got out of there. From where I shot him the first time to where he finally died was approximately 1/2 mile (close as I can get from google earth). I think the bullets blow up before they get deep penetration. Dumping all that energy in ~12" is great for deer size critters but not so good when the game is larger.

It's not so great when you dump all the energy and the bullet on the point of the shoulder. I knew I had bullet issues shooting the 6mm 103gr eld-x at 3250fps. But the Eld-x shot so well, the first buck was drt. The second big buck I shot was also on the point of the shoulder, knocked him down, missed when he was trying to regain his footing. Ended up getting a few pictures of him a month later with a broken shoulder and a side ways leg. Never got a picture of him this year. It sucks getting pictures of a buck for years and hoping to get a chance at him and then blowing it. Could of been one of my best years hunting and turned out to be the worst.
It hard to believe how people's results differ using the same bullet. Everyone seems to agree that the ELD-X bullets shoot great.
I used my Rem 700 .30-06 with 168 grain TTSX bullets over H4350. I killed a 5 point bull at about 30 yards with a high shoulder shot. He dropped at the shot and slid about 10 yards back down the steep hill.
I used an Ultra Light Arms 284 on a cow Elk and a cow Moose.. I shoot Barnes 140 TTSX's.
I carried a CVA Cascade. Athlon Helos scope. Only modification was that I bedded the action in the stock. Shoots amazing. I'm confident on paper with it out to 700 yards, and on elk I'd be confident out to 500.
Everyone cares about what an 8th grade graduate's recommendations are.....

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

It seems counterintuitive, based on the naming and marketing, but I would recommend you try the 147 ELD-M instead of the 143 ELD-X.
Originally Posted by cecilb
I used an Ultra Light Arms 284 on a cow Elk and a cow Moose.. I shoot Barnes 140 TTSX's.

I just got a LH Ultra Light Arms Model 20 in .284 Winchester.

That’s going on my elk hunt this October.

Now I’m starting to work up loads for it.
Originally Posted by filmjunkie4ever
Typically for elk I reach for one of my Model 70 .30-06’s, they are my favorites.

Given the chance to elk hunt I would definitely field my 30-06 it never fails me.
If I go after elk, it will be my 28 Nosler.
Well I have a Mark V in 270 Weatherby and a new to me BDL in 7mm Mag. It occurs to me I got my last elk with my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery at 225 yards. I'm shooting 570g TSXs at 2300 fps. I sight it in 3" high at 100 yards, it's dead on at 200 yards, 11" low at 300 yards and 32" low at 400 yards where it still packs 4000 ft/lbs of energy. Why am I fooling around with these little caliber rifles?

That is one beautiful rifle sir! I tried for years, in vain, to find a Ruger #1 in either .405 Win. or, what I really wanted, the 450/400. I had a 404 Jeffry made up one time. It was a accurate, but I gave to a Missionary friend who lived in South Africa. Biggest CZ 550 I had/shot a bit was the 416 Rigby. My shoulder is too boney now for them, ha. Congrats on that Beauty sir!
The same as for the previous 33 years, and my only hunting rifle….my Win. Model 70, 375 AI. Unless, I decide to use my handgun. I guess it will depend on the terrain that we’re hunting in! memtb

That is a big round for elk. Is this in case you bump into a cantankerous grizzly?
Luls it would certainly make Elmer Keith happy smile
Originally Posted by remingtonman

That is a big round for elk. Is this in case you bump into a cantankerous grizzly?

No it's for his pathetic ego
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

??? He doesn't strike me as having a big ego. Maybe he just likes to the .375.
I plan on carrying my fly rod this elk season. Yes - blanked again!
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw
I plan on carrying my fly rod this elk season. Yes - blanked again!

Where will you be fly fishing? I might be there also unless NM comes through.

??? He doesn't strike me as having a big ego. Maybe he just likes to the .375.

He is a clown! He never shoots! Bet it's been yearS since he fired a round through his "elk gun"!

(Sorry for the over use of the !!!, just following in the clown's footsteps)

Won't be using that combo again. What a chit show. Took 6 shots to kill this funky looking bull. First shot right in the pocket at 200yds, second shot just a bit back but still in vitals as he was moving out about 250yds, 3rd shot clipped the right rear hawk as he was really moving out and dropping out of sight at that point. Searched around for 20 minutes (full expecting to find a dead bull) then found where he had dropped down crossed a road. He left skid marks on the frozen ground where he stopped and got ready to jump a fence. Found fresh hair on the fence so we knew it was him - but, he had gone onto private property. Made a big loop out and around to stay on public land and finally caught his tracks again. Saw him at about 50 yards - frontal shot between 2 tightly spaced pine trees. Popped him again in the neck/shoulder area and he ran off again. Caught up again and put 2 more in him from 50 yards broadside before he finally dropped. 143gr 6.5mm ELD-X's will be reserved for deer bullets from now on. Bummer because they shoot tiny groups out of my Tikka.

I sure would like to see any post mortem pics you have of the entrance/exits, or any feedback on where the bullets hit and what they did.

You are just a pathetic nasty person aren't you Nuevo?
Originally Posted by colorado

You are just a pathetic nasty person aren't you Nuevo?

No, I'm honest.
HJ, you are a fricking jerk and a troll. You offer nothing but smart ass remarks. You probably haven't hunted anything but attention all your miserable worthless life. You remind me of a little man with a big mouth.
HJ, you are a fricking jerk and a troll. You offer nothing but smart ass remarks. You probably haven't hunted anything but attention all your miserable worthless life. You remind me of a little man with a big mouth.

Holy s hit, Columbo figured it out lol. Duh. Still doesn't change how stupid memtb!!! is...or you.

I hunt as much as I can, maybe not as much as buzz, but I only accrue 15hrs of vacation a month for now so I can only spend about 4 weeks a yr plus weekends/holidays hunting. Maybe when I'm old as f uck with no job I'll be able to bump those numbers.
I should have enough points to be archery hunting elk in one of Oregon’s big three elk units - so Hoyt Ultratec bow. Probably shoot a blacktail with one of my Kimber sa 84m’s.
A combination that just plain works, my .300 Weatherby Vanguard with 180 gr Barnes TTSX bullets.
Elk are more of a bucket list item than a "run up a string of victories" item. I've already killed elk with a centerfire rifle. Check. So .. handgun next? If so, probably Ruger Bisley .454.

No sir, it’s the only hunting rifle that use. I built it many years ago thinking that Africa and Alaska was in my future…..it wasn’t.

It’s worked quite well for many years, from the occasional coyote to moose. I simply believe in firearm familiarity…..thinking that I will/should be more proficient with it. Hopefully continued use will help justify it’s expense, plus I like it! 😉 memtb

Thanks WHC. I appreciate it 👍, but I try to ignore him. Much like picking a festering sore…..it only gets worse! memtb
memtb, I understsand. He does nothing for the site, all his remarks are negative. I doubt he has ever hunted anything except attention.. A real dipshit.
memtb, I understsand. He does nothing for the site, all his remarks are negative. I doubt he has ever hunted anything except attention.. A real dipshit.

Aren’t we supposed to exhibit empathy for the mentally ill! 🤪 memtb

Aren’t we supposed to exhibit empathy for the mentally ill! 🤪 memtb

Thats!! Really!!! Rich!!! Coming from you, clown.

How many rounds have you shot out of that 375ai in the past year?
Probably go with my new to me Rem 700 in 270win. I have never owned one before and want to get something with it. Of course my Rem 600 in 338Fed gets used every year. If the weather is nice, I may take my late father's Sav 99 in 303 Sav too. My annual trip to PA will be in archery season this year so my Mathews V3X will be with me at that time.
memtb, poor dipshit, he doesn't even make a good troll. His home area is a big town in old Mexico. He probably thinks a couple clips from his ak47 is how everyone hunts..
Just so he understands, the three rifles I used this fall, I bought in the 90's.. At that time I worked up handloads for all three. This fall in each one I fire one or two shots to verify the point of impact was correct. After that my antelope was one shot 300yards. My deer one shot 200 yards. My elk one shot 426 yards. When you are a skilled shooter you don't have to blast dozens of rounds before a hunt, just check the point of aim and your drop tables, and your set. Of course in the off season I shoot several thousand rounds throught various rifles because I enjoy shooting.. He doesn't understand that there were hunters who never fired their rifle from one season to another. They got their deer every year because they were good woodsmen and good shots. Anybody but in beginning troll would understand that!!
WCH, Well said sir!

I’m not certain what caused his/her/it’s extreme displeasure with me…..I guess that it’s a cross I must bear! 😁

My hunting rifle procedure is similar to yours……though I may shoot it a bit more than you do with yours. However, your annual shooting quantity far exceeds mine! I really need to shoot more, but simply don’t…..and of late, I’m really cheep, hating to burn components at their replacement costs. And then, hoping they can be replaced.

By the way…..my rifle too was received in ‘90. It cost a bit more than I could really afford at the time, but is pretty close to what I wanted for my rifle/cartridge that might hunt any big game animal across the planet.

I do, as Barnes improves/modifies it’s bullets for my rifle, try to develop a load for the new improved bullets. I was several years late with these new LRX’s as after begging Barnes and waiting several years for the LRX (or similar) to be offered, I gave up and bought a bunch of a bullet that I really didn’t want. Then…….they bring out the bullet that I wanted! 🤬

Those bullets served me well, but for Christmas of ‘22 my wife bought me a bunch of the LRX’s. I developed a load this past August, but didn’t get to try one on game this past fall! ☹️

I’ll continue to attempt to ignore him, hopefully he can find a hobby to occupy his time! memtb
Agreed!!
WCH, Well said sir!

I’m not certain what caused his/her/it’s extreme displeasure with me…..

Because you are ignorant and annoying. !!!

It's safe to say you've spent about 500 times longer yapping about your "375ai" than shooting it.

Since this is the elk forum, how many days did you actually elk hunt this year? Or would hours be easier to calculate? Lol
I truly hope to get out for elk again this coming season. If so, I plan to use my Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag with a 3.5-10x Leupold. I've handloaded some 140 gr Barnes TTSX bullets to good velocity and accuracy.

Regards, Guy
Originally Posted by Cascade
I truly hope to get out for elk again this coming season. If so, I plan to use my Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag with a 3.5-10x Leupold. I've handloaded some 140 gr Barnes TTSX bullets to good velocity and accuracy.

Regards, Guy

Looking forward to that. Beautiful rifle.
Talk about IGONORANT AN ANNOYING! Handy you are it. No experience, nothing to show you are a hunter or shooter just smart ass comments. A troll for sure.
Keep on with the .375AI my pal shot one for years. An elk killer for sure.

Beautiful rifle Cascade.. My old 7 mm Mag. is a costom 700. My late wife's favorite. We have taken everything from prairie dogs to moose with it. Fast accurate hard hitting caliber. Enjoy!
I actually have looked at the CZs...I was impressed by their 550FS in 9.3x62 and the one in 6.5x55. I haven't found them as well finished as Winchester, Sako or Ruger, but nice rifles just the same. I was ready to pop for a 550FS when I stumbled across a Lipsey's special (1 of 250 in their annual run) of a SS Ruger 77 RSI (International stock) in .308...NIB. (Can't wait to see what Lipsey's will do next year although there's a high polished blue 9.3x62 Ruger African this year as well). There was a little voice calling to me that said, "I'll come home with you and love you longtime for $749." BTW, I mounted a sweet 2.5-8x36 Leupy scope on it...great little stalking rifle.
👍 Thanks and Kudos to your friend…..he has good tastes!

As for our little buddy, attacking me is it’s only pleasure in it’s miserable existence! Let it continue to humor it’s self! 😉 I enjoy a good joke…..it’s a source of good humor! 🤔 memtb
Talk about IGONORANT AN ANNOYING! Handy you are it. No experience, nothing to show you are a hunter or shooter just smart ass comments. A troll for sure.
Keep on with the .375AI my pal shot one for years. An elk killer for sure.!

Well at least your dumbazz buddy hunted, more than memtb!! can say lol
memth, I enjoy a joke too, but dealing with an ignorant fool is something not worth my time. I am putting the loud mouth on ignore. That will hurt more than anything. No attention..
memth, I enjoy a joke too, but dealing with an ignorant fool is something not worth my time. I am putting the loud mouth on ignore. That will hurt more than anything. No attention..

Lol what a soft old bitch lol
IF I get drawn for elk here in New Mexico this year, I will choose one of these, .270 Ingwe, 7x57, .300 Wby, .338 RUM, .375 RUM, .404 Jeffery, .450 Howell and finally the .460 Wby.

Of course, that will all change several dozen times before I go hunting, that is, IF I get drawn.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
IF I get drawn for elk here in New Mexico this year, I will choose one of these, .270 Ingwe, 7x57, .300 Wby, .338 RUM, .375 RUM, .404 Jeffery, .450 Howell and finally the .460 Wby.

Of course, that will all change several dozen times before I go hunting, that is, IF I get drawn.

Good Luck ….with both the draw and the big decision! memtb

I’ve had him on ignore for quite some time…..it’s a lot like closing the door on the outhouse! memtb
Hey Sheriff Guy! Where are you finding these gorgeous rifle's at? The Mod 70 375 you had awhile was Fine and now this one in 7 Mag! If you would just slow down your rifle buying/trading? ( like I "say" I try to do) you could make that African Hunt, lol. It's hard to resist a fine rifle, ain't it? smile

Good Luck ….with both the draw and the big decision! memtb
Thanks memtb!
elk, they will almost all be fine elk rifles. I guess much would depend on the country you are hunting. Any more I never hunt the timber, so heavy slower bullets are a handicap. Good luck with the draw and your rifle choice.
Where I hunt elk, a long shot will be 250 yards and that will be a cross canyon shot. Most likely it'll be under 200 yards in the timber.
Where I hunt elk, a long shot will be 250 yards and that will be a cross canyon shot. Most likely it'll be under 200 yards in the timber.

Under those likely circumstances…..Honor Ken, and use the 450 Howell! Just my likely unwanted thought! 😉 memtb
Yeah, the .450 Howell would be a good choice under those conditions.
Well I don't see another Elk hunt in my future but if I were going it would most likely take my Weatherby Ultra Lightweight 338-06 with a Leupold 6x42 LRD scope.

That said if I new I was going somewhere where shots over 350 yards were common I would be taking my Remington 700 Stainless in 7mm Rem mag. with Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 MOA scope.
I’ve got a new to me Interarms Whitworth full stocked rifle in the mighty 7x57. Really likes the 160 Partition. It’s topped with a 2.5-8 Leupold right now, it really needs a 1.5-5 but they all seem to be gold plated now.

Don’t have a current picture, just this from when I first bought it.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]russian image host

No sir, it’s the only hunting rifle that use. I built it many years ago thinking that Africa and Alaska was in my future…..it wasn’t.

It’s worked quite well for many years, from the occasional coyote to moose. I simply believe in firearm familiarity…..thinking that I will/should be more proficient with it. Hopefully continued use will help justify it’s expense, plus I like it! 😉 memtb
I used my .375 H&H when I hunted elk in western Wyoming. Saw a few grizzlies, but not up close thankfully.
Well I’m planning what will probably be my last elk hunt (for a multitude of reasons with the primary one being age)….have two rifles that I’ve always wanted to use for this application and never got around to it (again for various reasons😄): one is a Mauser 99 in 8X68S and the other is a custom 1903 Springfield in .358 Norma Magnum. Both are very accurate with 200g Accubonds in the 8X68s and 225 grain Accubonds in the .358 - may come down to a coin flip although I may book a moose hunt in a year or two so the one that doesn’t go on this trip will go on the other! This of course if plans don’t change for reasons outside of my control?!!

Some really nice rifles on here!

PennDog
I'm currently hoping to draw in NM, WY (cows) and going CO OTC if/when those fail. Plan on taking a customized Rem 700 in 300WM that I put together last year;

24" Bartlein 2B, Manners EH3 stock, TriggerTec Special, Leupold VX6HD 3-18x50 with B&C. Load is going to be 180NABs over H4831.

back up will be my little Rem M7 in .350RM in a manners EH8
Great looking 300 Chuck. Tough to beat a great 300 Win like that.
YEP CHUCK R. Perfect elk rifle there and perfect weight with no muzzle device!
Chuck, a beautiful rifle at a good/practical weight for a “hunting rifle”! And as MAP 1 said…….no “weed burner” attached to the muzzle! memtb
If I hunt elk it will be my Custom barreled Win 70 FWT in 338-06. I well be hunting blacktails in Western OR this year so first choices are same 338-06, 1910 TD 1886 Win in 33 WCF, Savage 99 in 30-30, or 250-3000. We'll see what happens. Good hunting!
Chuck, dang nice rifles.
Chuck, great caliber, my favorite. But I am sorry, but I see a pratical hunting rifle, but a thing of beauty?? I am from a far different era, plastic can never be beautiful for me, pratical maybe. Truly I was expecting something along the lines of an fine wood stocked rifle.. Still beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Enjoy and may you have a very successful season.
My 2024 elk rifle will be the same as last year, tikka 6mm creedmoor. Will kill one just like last year.
I have used the same rifle the last 4 years (and have done very well with it).

Ryan Pierce built 300NMI with a 230 Berger Hybrid at 2980. Topped with a NF NX8 4-32. A bit on the heavier side but shoots great and hits like a hammer.
Had my Rem 700 Titanium .270 rebarreled with a Lilja #2 - 24". Feldcamp put the barrel on, fluted and cerakoted it army green, I bedded it in a Manners Classic that weighed in at 18oz. Really a lightweight rifle.
If I draw a bull tag this season, I will probably take my .280, custom fitted with a Bansner LW stock and PacNor barrel, shooting Barnes TTSX bullets.
Backup rifle is my Vanguard 270 WSM, in a McM Edge stock and PacNor barrel, also shooting Barnes bullets.
Well, not by choice, but I won't be going elk hunting this year. But if I was, it would be my Montana in 7-08, stoked with 120 TTSXs at 3190fps. So I'll take it on an Alberta moose hunt, instead.

Maybe pull an elk tag next year....
© 24hourcampfire