Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I am using the rest of my ELD X bullets at the range (7 PRC). Had a similar experience on a cow last month.

Too bad because they are very accurate. If I ever use the Creedmoor again I'll use good old Interlocks or Partitions.
It seems counterintuitive, based on the naming and marketing, but I would recommend you try the 147 ELD-M instead of the 143 ELD-X.

GB1

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Centershot.
How did the elk internals look. Did you recover any the bullets? How deep Did they penetrate, or did they hit bone?
if you hit the vitals/lungs with the first and second shot. It’s surprising the elk covered that much ground with multiple shots in him.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Typically for elk I reach for one of my Model 70 .30-06’s, they are my favorites.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Centershot and others here have learned the same lessons I learned way back in the 70s and early 80s.

For elk use bullets that hold together!

I prefer bullets that hold most of their weight on all game, but I'll admit it's not as important as the game gets smaller and smaller.

But for large deer and any game from about 250 pounds and up I always recommend a bullet that expands but doesn't break up completely. Diameter and shape of the case are both well behind bullet construction in importance when it comes to killing larger game.

A man using a 243 loaded with bonded, expanding copper or Partition bullets has a better tool for killing elk then a man carrying a 7MM Magnum or 300 Magnum loaded with bullets that break apart.
But a powerful rifle loaded with good bullets that hold together and pernitrate in a pretty straight line is the best combination across the board.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Amen!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends what place(s) I get a tag. Could be anything from a 270 to a 300 Weatherby or a 35 Whelen or either a 375 Whelen AI or 375 H&H AI.

Terrain, distance knowledge of area where I’m going…

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dre
Centershot.
How did the elk internals look. Did you recover any the bullets? How deep Did they penetrate, or did they hit bone?
if you hit the vitals/lungs with the first and second shot. It’s surprising the elk covered that much ground with multiple shots in him.

Did find this bullet on the off side under the hide. I think it weighs 64gr. if I remember correctly. I did not do an autopsy - just cut him up and got out of there. From where I shot him the first time to where he finally died was approximately 1/2 mile (close as I can get from google earth). I think the bullets blow up before they get deep penetration. Dumping all that energy in ~12" is great for deer size critters but not so good when the game is larger.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dre
Centershot.

Did find this bullet on the off side under the hide. I think it weighs 64gr. if I remember correctly. I did not do an autopsy - just cut him up and got out of there. From where I shot him the first time to where he finally died was approximately 1/2 mile (close as I can get from google earth). I think the bullets blow up before they get deep penetration. Dumping all that energy in ~12" is great for deer size critters but not so good when the game is larger.

It's not so great when you dump all the energy and the bullet on the point of the shoulder. I knew I had bullet issues shooting the 6mm 103gr eld-x at 3250fps. But the Eld-x shot so well, the first buck was drt. The second big buck I shot was also on the point of the shoulder, knocked him down, missed when he was trying to regain his footing. Ended up getting a few pictures of him a month later with a broken shoulder and a side ways leg. Never got a picture of him this year. It sucks getting pictures of a buck for years and hoping to get a chance at him and then blowing it. Could of been one of my best years hunting and turned out to be the worst.
It hard to believe how people's results differ using the same bullet. Everyone seems to agree that the ELD-X bullets shoot great.

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I used my Rem 700 .30-06 with 168 grain TTSX bullets over H4350. I killed a 5 point bull at about 30 yards with a high shoulder shot. He dropped at the shot and slid about 10 yards back down the steep hill.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I used an Ultra Light Arms 284 on a cow Elk and a cow Moose.. I shoot Barnes 140 TTSX's.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I carried a CVA Cascade. Athlon Helos scope. Only modification was that I bedded the action in the stock. Shoots amazing. I'm confident on paper with it out to 700 yards, and on elk I'd be confident out to 500.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Everyone cares about what an 8th grade graduate's recommendations are.....

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I am using the rest of my ELD X bullets at the range (7 PRC). Had a similar experience on a cow last month.

Too bad because they are very accurate. If I ever use the Creedmoor again I'll use good old Interlocks or Partitions.
It seems counterintuitive, based on the naming and marketing, but I would recommend you try the 147 ELD-M instead of the 143 ELD-X.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by cecilb
I used an Ultra Light Arms 284 on a cow Elk and a cow Moose.. I shoot Barnes 140 TTSX's.

I just got a LH Ultra Light Arms Model 20 in .284 Winchester.

That’s going on my elk hunt this October.

Now I’m starting to work up loads for it.

Likes lefty rifles. Guntalk in web searches.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by filmjunkie4ever
Typically for elk I reach for one of my Model 70 .30-06’s, they are my favorites.

Given the chance to elk hunt I would definitely field my 30-06 it never fails me.

Love Ksmïthïnhïzzër/fląvöřÐ.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
If I go after elk, it will be my 28 Nosler.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well I have a Mark V in 270 Weatherby and a new to me BDL in 7mm Mag. It occurs to me I got my last elk with my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery at 225 yards. I'm shooting 570g TSXs at 2300 fps. I sight it in 3" high at 100 yards, it's dead on at 200 yards, 11" low at 300 yards and 32" low at 400 yards where it still packs 4000 ft/lbs of energy. Why am I fooling around with these little caliber rifles?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That is one beautiful rifle sir! I tried for years, in vain, to find a Ruger #1 in either .405 Win. or, what I really wanted, the 450/400. I had a 404 Jeffry made up one time. It was a accurate, but I gave to a Missionary friend who lived in South Africa. Biggest CZ 550 I had/shot a bit was the 416 Rigby. My shoulder is too boney now for them, ha. Congrats on that Beauty sir!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by memtb
The same as for the previous 33 years, and my only hunting rifle….my Win. Model 70, 375 AI. Unless, I decide to use my handgun. I guess it will depend on the terrain that we’re hunting in! memtb

That is a big round for elk. Is this in case you bump into a cantankerous grizzly?

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Luls it would certainly make Elmer Keith happy smile

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by remingtonman
Originally Posted by memtb
The same as for the previous 33 years, and my only hunting rifle….my Win. Model 70, 375 AI. Unless, I decide to use my handgun. I guess it will depend on the terrain that we’re hunting in! memtb

That is a big round for elk. Is this in case you bump into a cantankerous grizzly?

No it's for his pathetic ego

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (222ND, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,066
Posts18,482,544
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.