Home
Posted By: Ziggy Factory Load for Elk? - 08/25/08
These are the ones I been looking at to use in my 7mm-08 for elk.

Federal Fusion 140grn, Hornandy LM 139grn, and the accubonds not sure what weight to use....what do you think about these out to 200yrds. If there are any others let me know.
Posted By: utah708 Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 08/25/08
I would try a Federal Premium load with a bullet like the Partition or the Barnes Triple Shock.

A bullet that will hold together is a good idea on elk. The bullets you mention are more deer-class bullets in my opinion.

I do think that 140 gr is a good choice (although nothing to be lost by going heavier, either.)
Posted By: Ziggy Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 08/25/08
Hey Utah708, what kind of ballistics could I expect from those two that you mentioned out of a 22" barrel?
Posted By: Hemi Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 08/25/08
Factory loads CANNOT kill elk. Only handloads with premium bullets will kill an elk. People just don't understand how tough these animals are.
Ziggy, you've some good picks there and make no doubt about it they'll work to mucho further than 200.

Dober
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Ziggy, you've some good picks there and make no doubt about it they'll work to mucho further than 200.

Dober

I really like the Federal Fusions they are showing me the tightest groups and have only heard good things about their performance on game. Thanks
Ziggy,

where and when are you going?

Thx
Dober
I'm going on a cow elk hunt in Colorado unit 53 3rd season In Gunnison Basin area.
Posted By: utah708 Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 08/25/08
You should be able to get these going 2800-2850 fpr out of a 22" barrel. Sighted 2" high at 100, you would be somewhere around 6" low at 300, which would be a very reasonable personal limit for shooting an elk with a 7-08.
Originally Posted by utah708
You should be able to get these going 2800-2850 fpr out of a 22" barrel. Sighted 2" high at 100, you would be somewhere around 6" low at 300, which would be a very reasonable personal limit for shooting an elk with a 7-08.

So is Federal the only company that loads the Triple Shock X-bullet?
Posted By: Slidellkid Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 08/25/08
I would not use the 139 grain SST from Hornady. My brother used if for a while on whitetails and was very disappointed in it. It's really a fairly fragile bullet.
Posted By: Slidellkid Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 08/25/08
Don't forget the 140 or 150 grain Remington Core-lokt's. They are an outstanding bullet.
Posted By: Ziggy Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 08/26/08
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Don't forget the 140 or 150 grain Remington Core-lokt's. They are an outstanding bullet.

Remington Core-lokt's that is one I haven't tried yet thanks.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 08/26/08
Mid 60's Dad got a buy on a case of 150 grain Federal 308 ammo for hunting with his Winchester 88. He doesn't shoot a lot like a most of us here but that case of ammo and gun has put a lot of deer and elk meat in the freezer. Now he is using the same empty cases with reloads I have made for him.

Twenty or so years ago I bought one thousand 150 grain 30 caliber Core-lokts to load for myself and family in '06 and 308. They have worked so well on deer and elk I Since have bought more, for the .30's and use them in 270, 243, and more. We cut, grind, and wrap all our own meat so I have a good opportunity to see the results of these bullets. They do better than some of the so called "premium' stuff out there, but of course I have no knowledge of most as I have never seemed to need them.

Premium bullets and magnum calibers are not necessary to take American big game animals, They are not a bad thing, just the ideals of them is blow all out of proportion to the reality of the situation. Straight shooting, knowing when to and when not to shoot is the key.

I have shot elk through the lungs with a 320 grain solid lead black powder bullet that died without going very far. It's far more where you shoot a critter than what with.

I bet there are at least two dozen factory loadings in about every caliber that are just fine on the shelf for todays hunter, all the rest is up to the guy behind the gun.

OBTW my uncle killed a real nice bull with one shot from a 7mm-08 with a factory bullet several years back.

Good luck on your elk hunt.
My choices in factory ammo would be the Federal's 140g TSX or AccuBond.

Probably the AccuBond if they shot well as they turn your 7mm-08 into a 400-yard elk rifle (2094fps, 1363fps, -22" @ 400 yards with 200-yard zero). The TSX's aren't that far behind but I'd probably limit them to 350 yards.
Posted By: SteelyEyes Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 08/27/08
I don't believe factory ammo is enough for modern elk. I think most of it would bounce off, fall short, or miss.

Maybe not. Pretty much anything with a quality bullet that's not too soft in the nose to hold up for deeper penetration and larger bones will get the job done.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 08/27/08
Originally Posted by utah708
I would try a Federal Premium load with a bullet like the Partition or the Barnes Triple Shock.

A bullet that will hold together is a good idea on elk. The bullets you mention are more deer-class bullets in my opinion.

While I won't argue that a Partition or TSX is a great elk bullet, I've now seen two Accubonds do GREAT on two elk. They are an elk bullet.

From a 7mm-08, though, since it's a little lighter than I personally would prefer, I would go Partition just to be on the safe side, I do believe.
Posted By: battue Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 08/27/08
700LH

Those old core-lokts bring back a lot of memories from days, game and people gone by. I'm sure they still work like they did then. They hold together and can get the job done.

I have a .300WM that just loves them in 150gr as far as accuracy. Have shot more than a few deer with that load. The one I remember most was a cold Dec. day. He went down right now, and body heat was coming out the entrance wound that looked like smoke. I thought wow, now thats what I call a hot load. whistle

Battue
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 08/30/08
Just keep your hits behind the shoulder and the ones you mentioned will do fine. I would find a load using the partition myself. I have never used a 7MM bullet under 160 grains on elk myself though.
Posted By: camp9k Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 08/31/08
My daughter shots a 7mm-08 and wants to shot an elk with it. She took an antelope with it last year with a federal premium 140 grain nosler ballistic tip without a problem. This year she had an Oryx Tag so we went with a Federal premium 140 grain barnes triple shock and she dropped him at just over 200yds. I feel confident with her taking an elk with the barnes but not much farther than 200 yards i think the bullet loses to much energy.

Good luck John
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tdbob Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 09/01/08
I'd take a look at Federal Power-Shok in 150gr. It's loaded with a Speer HotCor.
I would try the 140gr tsx load.I have seen several elk and moose killed with the 140gr tsx out of 7mmremmags.The penetration was as good or better than with the 175gr partition.
Posted By: Montanaborn Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 09/06/08
Originally Posted by Slidellkid

That's exactly what I've used (150 grain) in my .300 Savage for deer and elk since I was a teen. I have it zeroed in at 100 yards and with my bullet drop compensator scope it's still dead on at 200 and 300 yards.
Posted By: Mauser96 Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 09/06/08
+ 1
Posted By: Montanaborn Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 09/12/08
Originally Posted by SteelyEyes
I don't believe factory ammo is enough for modern elk. I think most of it would bounce off, fall short, or miss.

How VERY wrong you are. All I've ever used for the last 45 years is factory load 150 grain in my .300 Savage and I've taken my fair share of elk here in Idaho over the years.

Posted By: hotsoup Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 09/12/08
montanaborn - steely was kidding!
Posted By: 700LH Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 09/12/08
I always get a kick out of threads like this one.

Nothing holds true 100% as there is always exceptions, but it seems guys that have lived or hunted elk for decades or since they were kids tend to not need megamagnums or special bullets. They just go elk hunting and get the job done.

My ordinary 700 '06 with 150 Core-Lokt's reloaded is in the work truck all day everyday, it's worked on dozens and dozens of elk and deer and a couple of antelope for over 25 years now.

The cow tag I have this year is good as I write this and will be until New Years day. All that has shown up so far is deer and antelope, but we're not actively hunting as it's been so hot I would worry about getting the meat cooled good enough fast enough, but if and when I get a good shot at one this gun/load will do the job fine if she's in a field or I need to go find one up on the mountain.
Posted By: Flinch Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 09/12/08
139 or 140 grain Hornady flat base spire points work VERY well. I shoot hundreds of these. I also shoot thousands of 120 grain Hornady Hollow Points, which are a fabulous big game bullet. I have shot big bucks at over 500 yards several times with utter reliance. 140 grain Accubonds are really good all around as well. The 7mm-08 isn't a barn burner, so premiums are NOT needed. I personally wouldn't limit myself to the TSX's. They don't work very well past 250 yards in the .08. They don't open up reliably. Partitions simply punch through with very little tissue upset in my experience. In the .08 cup and core 140's work the best. And contrary to the magnum guys it is a 400 yard elk gun in the hands of someone that can hit what they point at, but that is the case with any caliber. The caliber isn't the weak link, nor is the bullet. The weak link is behind the trigger. I love the round, it is extremely easy to hit stuff WAY out there and just flat out gets stuff done. I don't know how many times I have borrowed mine out. The users always come back with game, a grin on their face and want to know where they can buy one just like mine (plain old Rem 700 22" barrel in a Micky stock, Leupold 3x9 tactical with nobs). Flinch
Posted By: Montanaborn Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 09/13/08
Originally Posted by hotsoup
montanaborn - steely was kidding!

I'm sure he probably was. This time of the year I start getting my hackles up until I get in the mountains. What I'm about to say is absolutely nothing against California hunters BUT, over the last ten years or so Idaho has had hordes of Californians move here. At least the ones where I work had never been hunting before and come up here, buy the largest weapon they can find and start blasting away at anything that moves. And if they are lucky enough to shoot something they proceed to tell everybody else how to hunt, what caliber and load to use, etc. I started my night shift that way today so needless to say I'm in a pissy mood. Sorry that I've digressed from the original subject.

[/quote]
What I'm about to say is absolutely nothing against California hunters BUT, over the last ten years or so Idaho has had hordes of Californians move here. [/quote]

Montanaborn,been back to Montana lately?

As for the 7mm-08 I have never thought of it as a elk rifle,but I have seen it work and in action.140 gr bullet of TSX or Parttion will work.Conley Precision ammo makes some good oads for the 7-08
BBJ
Posted By: BroncoLope Re: Factory Load for Elk? - 09/24/08
Originally Posted by Montanaborn
, over the last ten years or so Idaho has had hordes of Californians move here.

I think they have invaded everywhere,

that is why Arnold is on the TV advertising to get them back,

HOPE he convices them all, nothing against californians but the fewer there are here, the more colorado for me -

Yes I am selfish and greedy
© 24hourcampfire