Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd take a look at Federal Power-Shok in 150gr. It's loaded with a Speer HotCor.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would try the 140gr tsx load.I have seen several elk and moose killed with the 140gr tsx out of 7mmremmags.The penetration was as good or better than with the 175gr partition.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Don't forget the 140 or 150 grain Remington Core-lokt's. They are an outstanding bullet.

That's exactly what I've used (150 grain) in my .300 Savage for deer and elk since I was a teen. I have it zeroed in at 100 yards and with my bullet drop compensator scope it's still dead on at 200 and 300 yards.

One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an a__hole." - Demetri Martin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+ 1

See Paul? I'm contributing!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by SteelyEyes
I don't believe factory ammo is enough for modern elk. I think most of it would bounce off, fall short, or miss.

How VERY wrong you are. All I've ever used for the last 45 years is factory load 150 grain in my .300 Savage and I've taken my fair share of elk here in Idaho over the years.

Last edited by Montanaborn; 09/11/08.

One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an a__hole." - Demetri Martin

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
montanaborn - steely was kidding!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always get a kick out of threads like this one.

Nothing holds true 100% as there is always exceptions, but it seems guys that have lived or hunted elk for decades or since they were kids tend to not need megamagnums or special bullets. They just go elk hunting and get the job done.

My ordinary 700 '06 with 150 Core-Lokt's reloaded is in the work truck all day everyday, it's worked on dozens and dozens of elk and deer and a couple of antelope for over 25 years now.

The cow tag I have this year is good as I write this and will be until New Years day. All that has shown up so far is deer and antelope, but we're not actively hunting as it's been so hot I would worry about getting the meat cooled good enough fast enough, but if and when I get a good shot at one this gun/load will do the job fine if she's in a field or I need to go find one up on the mountain.

Last edited by 700LH; 09/12/08.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
139 or 140 grain Hornady flat base spire points work VERY well. I shoot hundreds of these. I also shoot thousands of 120 grain Hornady Hollow Points, which are a fabulous big game bullet. I have shot big bucks at over 500 yards several times with utter reliance. 140 grain Accubonds are really good all around as well. The 7mm-08 isn't a barn burner, so premiums are NOT needed. I personally wouldn't limit myself to the TSX's. They don't work very well past 250 yards in the .08. They don't open up reliably. Partitions simply punch through with very little tissue upset in my experience. In the .08 cup and core 140's work the best. And contrary to the magnum guys it is a 400 yard elk gun in the hands of someone that can hit what they point at, but that is the case with any caliber. The caliber isn't the weak link, nor is the bullet. The weak link is behind the trigger. I love the round, it is extremely easy to hit stuff WAY out there and just flat out gets stuff done. I don't know how many times I have borrowed mine out. The users always come back with game, a grin on their face and want to know where they can buy one just like mine (plain old Rem 700 22" barrel in a Micky stock, Leupold 3x9 tactical with nobs). Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by hotsoup
montanaborn - steely was kidding!

I'm sure he probably was. This time of the year I start getting my hackles up until I get in the mountains. What I'm about to say is absolutely nothing against California hunters BUT, over the last ten years or so Idaho has had hordes of Californians move here. At least the ones where I work had never been hunting before and come up here, buy the largest weapon they can find and start blasting away at anything that moves. And if they are lucky enough to shoot something they proceed to tell everybody else how to hunt, what caliber and load to use, etc. I started my night shift that way today so needless to say I'm in a pissy mood. Sorry that I've digressed from the original subject.

Last edited by Montanaborn; 09/12/08.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[/quote]
What I'm about to say is absolutely nothing against California hunters BUT, over the last ten years or so Idaho has had hordes of Californians move here. [/quote]

Montanaborn,been back to Montana lately?

As for the 7mm-08 I have never thought of it as a elk rifle,but I have seen it work and in action.140 gr bullet of TSX or Parttion will work.Conley Precision ammo makes some good oads for the 7-08
BBJ

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Montanaborn
, over the last ten years or so Idaho has had hordes of Californians move here.

I think they have invaded everywhere,

that is why Arnold is on the TV advertising to get them back,

HOPE he convices them all, nothing against californians but the fewer there are here, the more colorado for me -

Yes I am selfish and greedy

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,702
Posts18,475,262
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.