Home
Posted By: 700LH New record bull from Washington? - 11/04/08
Just received this in an email.
Anyone have more information about this animal or the hunt?
Personally I hope it wasn't a hunt like the bull recently shot in Utah.

"quote"
I thought you would all find these Pics of the 466" Washington's Governors tag bull very interesting.
It is being called the "Bird Bath" elk.
The person who took these photos had an opportunity of a lifetime this last week and got to be a part of the hunt
for this Washington giant. The hunter was Dan Agnew from Vancouver. The bull is a 9x10, with a green score of
450" plus. It will be the new WA state record. Also included is a photo of the elk alive on the evening of
9/2/08 from across the canyon

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Awesome animal,
I know nothing of the hunt but noticing Rifle and not a spec of blaze, I would say it was a ranch hunt, just a hunch.
no, it's probably not like the UT bull's demise - I'm only counting 5 guides in the pic (I think the UT guy had at least 6).

grin blush
Wow!!!!!!!
Wow! that is a nice bull! I also hope it wasnt like the other bull but you gotta wonder...........
Originally Posted by 700LH

Also included is a photo of the elk alive on the evening of
9/2/08 from across the canyon

The pictures of the live and dead bull all have the same date. Kind of odd.

Nice bull though. Is it a RME or a Roosevelt? It also seems strange that they all have nice clean cammies on and absolutely no orange. Is orange a requirement during the WA rifle season?

The governor's tag allows the holder to hunt in any open or draw unit right??? As long as all rules concerning the unit or draw are followed? Regardless it is a nice animal.

I did also notice the time oddity.
If the pictures were taken with the same camera it is a mistake to say " evening" as 07:00 the time of the "live" picture would have been 7 AM. The remaining pictures are in the 20:00's which is evening.

Originally Posted by 700LH
I did also notice the time oddity.
If the pictures were taken with the same camera it is a mistake to say " evening" as 07:00 the time of the "live" picture would have been 7 AM. The remaining pictures are in the 20:00's which is evening.

You're right...

Seriously, look how clean n~perty those guys are. Me and my gang hunt in nasty, blood stained wranglers and walls. Our orange and cammies are ripped and faded. Those dudes look like Cabelas models.

That doesn't mean this bull wasn't fair chase or anything, they just doesn't strike me as average hunters/guides. Maybe they wanted a "magazine perfect" picture or something. Who knows.
Judging by the terrain and the massive rack it's a Rocky Mountain elk. If I was taking a pic of a bull that nice I'd clean up a bit and ditch the clown...I mean hunter...orange too. I doubt I'd be rifle hunting in full on camo though. I'm more fond of Filson wool coat and army surplus wool pants but I'm on a budget.

I'm not making any judgments about how or where the elk was taken just because it's huge. We don't have any elk ranching in WA so if it was a "ranch hunt" that can only mean fair chase on public land. A bull nearly that big was taken by a Yakama tribal member a few years back near Satus Pass so they're out there.
This news has really made the rounds here in Washington (as it should for such an awesome bull). Here's a press release which can perhaps shed some more insight:

In Washington, hunter Dan Agnew reportedly knocked down a green-scored 449-gross, 436-net, non-typical Rocky Mountain elk. The current record is a 2003 bow-kill that measured 421 7/8.
Agnew also set another record by paying $65,000 for the eastside Governor's Tag, the highest ever in Washington. The bids rose because hunters knew this big bull was somewhere out there in Game Management Unit 162 in the state's southwest.
Agnew hired two local guides and shot the bull after a short hunt on Sept. 2.

"A lot of people have really given me a hard time because it sounds like I kind of showed up and shot him and went home, and that is kind of what happened," Agnew told the Spokesman-Review. "But that has never happened to me before. I've spent months looking for big elk and come home empty-handed."
Agnew is not new to big-game hunting. The Vancouver, Wash., hunter has several B&C bulls under his belt. One 410 elk, shot in Arizona in 2003, has the distinction of the longest main beam in B&C records: 66 3/8 inches.

As for the hunter orange requirement, as I interpret the regulations, hunter orange would indeed be required:

�Anyone hunting deer or elk in an area currently open to modern firearm deer or elk hunting is required to wear fluorescent hunter orange clothing. This includes archers and muzzleloaders while hunting in units which overlap modern firearm seasons.�

�Anyone hunting in an area that is open for modern firearm deer or elk hunting must meet hunter orange requirements if they are hunting any of the following species: Bear, Bobcat, Cougar, Coyote,Deer, Elk, Fox, Grouse, Hare, Rabbit, or Raccoon.�
Originally Posted by Badge251

Agnew also set another record by paying $65,000 for the eastside Governor's Tag, the highest ever in Washington. The bids rose because hunters knew this big bull was somewhere out there in Game Management Unit 162 in the state's southwest.

I wish I had $65,000 to spend on anything, let alone an elk tag. He probably worked hard for his money, so good for him. Hired guides or not, that is a great bull.

The 2 bold words do have me confused though.
its the sw of the east side............or lower middle
I read it was a public land hunt near Dayton. The reason they aren't wearing clown suits, I mean hunter orange is that the governor's tag allows hunting from Sept. 1 to Dec. 1 and orange is only required during specific general and special seasons, this one man season not being one of them.

Dude hired two guides, one from OR and one from WA and the hunt only took an hour because he got lucky.

I don't begrudge the dude his awesome bull. If I had that kind of money I sure wouldn't be living like I am now either.
Yep.....very nice bull. I'm envious and obviously less affluent.......grin.

I hope the hunter enjoys his moment, 'cuz the one pic looks like he'll blow his head off if one's chambered, his safety is off and one of those little branches catches on his trigger..................just a thought.
I think his father was Sam Agnew. Had large timber holdings in Southern Oregon. When Sam died I heard the inheritence tax value was $50,000,000. I think the timber holdings were sold in the 1980,s and logs shipped to Japan.
Money can buy happiness !
This was nothing more than a commercial assassination using
5 clowns dressed in camo.

This is not hunting.

Too bad "they" killed a magnificent animal.

Amen to that SU!

Like I've said b4, remove the hunters name from the record books and see how things go...

Oh and you spose that's a 30/378 with a Brake on it...now I know why I can't stand those rifles..... grin

Dober
Oh and you spose that's a 30/378 with a Brake on it...now I know why I can't stand those rifles.....

grin grin grin

Congrats to Everyone!!
Conrats to the guides who guided to this this bull, hopefully it made their year!!Just being in the pic is awesome but I hope they were taken care of!!
Congrats to the State of Washington for producing an awesome bull and for setting a new record for their auction tag!
Congrats to The Washington G&F and to the people of Washington who will benefit from the revenue that was brought in from the tag!
And finally Congrats to the hunter Dan Agnew (who has one of the greatest collections of Trophy bulls ever!)who had enough money to buy the tag, and make the shot count on another awesome bull!!(even if it was easy!!)
The bull is impressive, the hunt is not.YMMV
Oh and you spose that's a 30/378 with a Brake on it...now I know why I can't stand those rifles.....

You can't stand those rifles, just the brake or the 30-378?
Man I love my Accumark in 340. No brake on it but it is one accurate elk rifle. It sure does kick though.
How many guides does it take to hunt down a bull.... hell they probably held out a hand of marshmellows and called him in. Probably broke their hearts to shoot "Fred", he was such a good pet- PLEASE! frown

Hemi
That is one fine bull.
Wow, money can buy everything....
Always lotsa jellussy when anyone gets a bigger one. Wouldn't matter what the circumstances, someone is gonna get bent when the photo shows up of a dead animal that great. I suppose if he'd killed it during general season with an over the counter resident license someone would be barking. What's with us?
No wonder the antis kick our tails.
I don't know all the ins and out of this deal, but don't see the big deal if he has that kind of money. If he has a million dollars that hunt was way cheaper for him that me buying almost 500 dollars worth of IL bow tags and paying for a motel, food, gas etc.. and going up to hunt a couple of times.

Just my thoughts asuming he is a hunter that just so happens to be real rich and not just a shooter with a trophy room.
338 I agree with you 100%. The guy can afford it more power to him. I notice everytime somebody kills a big animal and the picture is posted the members rip him a new ass if they don't agree on how it was killed. If it would of taken a month to kill that bull they still would of found something wrong. Whether we agree or not we need to quit the infighting that is just what the Anti's want.
Guess you don't get it...It turns it from not being about hard work and determination to just buying a animal. I actually work hard for the animals I hunt and get them on public land with no guides or specail privileges. Stories like this don't show kids the true value of hunting and heritage... Stories like this aren't about hunting to me... Not even close..
No you don't get it. Whether we agree with it or not, it shouldn't be debated on a forum like this where anybody can read about it. My whole problem is we are just giving the Anti's more wood for there fire. I may not always agree on how animals are taken but if it is done legally that is all I need to know. Who are we to judge otherwise. You are lucky you live where you have public land and can do it on you own. For somebody that lives out of state we need a guide. With our work schedules we don't have the time to scout or the time to put into a hunt the way you should.I have been on both side of the fence. Would I pay $65000 for a bull no.My priorities are a little different.
One of the guides is a local, who had someone sitting on this bull for six days prior to the hunt. Supposedly they found sheds from the year before and knew where to start looking. As I understand it was taken above the Wenaha unit in Oregon across state lines. We got the same pics about a month or so ago. Many wonder also about the times on the pics. I say let things play out and see! 58gscott
Originally Posted by 338Federal
Always lotsa jellussy when anyone gets a bigger one. Wouldn't matter what the circumstances, someone is gonna get bent when the photo shows up of a dead animal that great. I suppose if he'd killed it during general season with an over the counter resident license someone would be barking. What's with us?
No wonder the antis kick our tails.

Really I guess the members posts of their hard earned hunts does not count. I have never seen anyone rip a legit hunt. Please point me to a post outside of a bought and bagged hunt that has a member ripping it apart. I guess I feel lucky that I am skilled enough to get my own animals and keep my cash.
Well the state took in 65000 badly needed dollars for wildlife conservation. What is wrong with that picture? Nothing at all
If that is the "Spinder bull", and I believe it is, then I understand he was killed on public lands...??????????

BTW a ranch hunt can be on public land as many ranches in the Pacific N.W. are on public land..A ranch hunt is not necessarily a " high fenced hunt".....
Maybe I missed it but I didnt see anyting that said it was a ranch hunt? The guy bought a governors tag! Those are out there to raise money for the Game and Fish. That doesnt guarantee you a big bull, just that you can hunt any area, during a different time than the regular season. You still have to go find a bull, right? He hired guides... some states make that a law if your from out of state, so they dont have to come find you. I havent seen anything posted here yet that would upset me. Sounds like he just got lucky and his guides found the bull. No different than any other guide would do for his clients.
When that many people are chasing an animal for one tag, it is quite an accomplishment. Sorry guys but pictures like that only give me a good belly laugh. I am sure that gentleman is quite the outdoorsman, or rather judging by the picture I should say outdoorsmen.
hamr56,
Really I guess the members posts of their hard earned hunts does not count. I have never seen anyone rip a legit hunt. Please point me to a post outside of a bought and bagged hunt that has a member ripping it apart.

Take a stroll over to the Long Range forum for lots of legit hunters being ripped.

I guess I feel lucky that I am skilled enough to get my own animals and keep my cash.

So, do you have enough discretionary funds available so that you could pay $65,000 for a hunt and not miss it at all? If you do, then you have said something. If you don't, you have only take up some posting spaceand said nothing.
100% Public land hunt. If I had the funds to dump $65000 on a Governor tag theres no doubt I'd have all my homework done. Apparently he did. none of us no how many hours this guy scouted or lack there of. Very few of us can even begin to think of a price tag like this. This guy just dumped more cash into our states wildlife program than any of us washington guys put together can donate in a lifetime. I know for a fact that several years ago the guy with the G tag spent hundreds of hours in an airplane searching high and low for a big big bull. I'm sure that bull cost alot more than $65000 and I'm pretty sure none of know how it all went down.. Bottom line like it or not, think it's hunting or not the guy put a ton of cash into our program did his homework and nailed a fuggin monster bull.

Fact is thats the second bull this year outa that country that went well over 400inches. Pretty awesome for washington bulls. And sheds have been found of several others over 400 and a confirmed 435plus bull up in Northearsten wash!!!!

I'm not saying I agree. And wish I knew exzactly how it went down. But it was a completely wild animal that is very impressive.
http://www.tdn.com/articles/2008/11/07/this_day/doc491380e050adb817451882.txt

Dan Agnew invested time and gobs of money for the chance to bag what is sure to be a new Washington state record bull elk.

Last winter he saw a picture of the bull�s sheds and a video of the animal. He�d talked to another hunter, a friend of his, who tried to bag the big 9-by-10 non-typical last fall. He learned the bull was secretive, elusive and lived in tough country characterized by tall ridges and deep, timbered draws � the kind hunters call holes, where an animal could literally disappear.

So when Agnew, of Vancouver, Wash., set out in September to hunt the monster bull in game management unit 162 near Dayton, he was prepared to spend lots of time. But nothing prepared him for the way the hunt played out.

�I took enough gear to last a month and had the shortest, easiest hunt I�ve ever been on,� he said. �Less than an hour after we left camp, we saw the bull on an open ridge top and, a short stalk later, the bull was down.�

Agnew used a guide who had scouted the bull before he arrived. Its general location was known, but the bull hadn�t been showing itself and it hadn�t been hanging out in the open.

�They had seen him a couple of times and each time he was a long way off and a long way down in the hole.�

But on that morning the bull was high on the ridge. After a short stalk, Agnew took a shot from about 250 yards with his .30-378 Weatherby. He saw the bull buckle and knew he hit it. But the animal didn�t fall. The bull had about 20 cows with him and the cows became nervous and headed for the bottom of the draw. The bull followed, but lagged behind. Agnew took a second shot that killed the bull.

It has a gross green score of 449 and a net score of 436 on the Boone and Crockett scoring system. If that score doesn�t drop significantly after the antlers dry, it will be a new state record. The current record for non-typical bulls was set in 2003 by Jeff Thorpe, who killed a bull in Kittitas County that scored 421 7/8.

Word and pictures of Agnew�s bull has spread via e-mail and hunting chat rooms across the Internet.

�A lot of people have really given me a hard time because it sounds like I kind of showed up and shot him and went home and that is kind of what happened,� he said. �But that has never happened to me before. I�ve spent months looking for big elk and come home empty handed.�

Agnew is a trophy elk hunter and proud of it.

�It�s my hobby and my passion,� he said. �I�ve killed one bull that is bigger than this one, in Arizona, and had my share of success over the years.�

He decided to bid on the Washington governor�s tag for the east side of the state, auctioned at the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Banquet in Reno, just so he could hunt this bull. Agnew wasn�t alone. Bidding was intense and he ended up paying $65,000 for the tag, which allows its holder to hunt elk with any weapon from Sept. 1 to Dec. 1 in any unit on the east side of the state where branch-antlered bulls can be hunted.

�We had some pictures of the sheds in the booth at the convention and it piqued some interest,� said Pat Fowler, district wildlife biologist for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife at Dayton. �We had some video at the presentation and I think that is what really got their interest.�

The east side governor�s tag had been selling for about $20,000 in recent years. But last year it jumped to $47,000, largely because of this bull. Agnew said he was happy to pay such a high price, not only for the opportunity to hunt the bull, but also to help restore elk habitat. Agnew, 62, is co-owner of Mt. Hood Beverage Co., a beer and wine distributor.

�I�ve been a supporter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation for many years. One-hundred percent of the money goes to restoration and enhancement of elk habitat. That is very important to me and gives me a fun way to support something I really believe in.�

Fowler said it�s not the only big one out there. He said there is video of a bull with an 8-by-8 rack that is as large as the one Agnew shot. That should keep Washington in the sights of trophy elk hunters.

�We have managed our elk herd to be very careful to maintain our age structure,� he said. �When you maintain age structure for fully mature bulls, you are going to have some large bulls out there.�
Had gear for a month got lucky opening day! Wish I had that luck. They say he also harvested a 400 plus bull in Arizona this year.
I'm in the group the ditches my orange for pics. Geeze, the guy kills one of the biggest bulls ever and all he gets is [bleep].
Originally Posted by Shag
I'm in the group the ditches my orange for pics. Geeze, the guy kills one of the biggest bulls ever and all he gets is [bleep].

+1

If you're going to set up a pretty picture, you can do it any ol' way you want.

And as for buying the Governor's tag--I don't blame the guy for having a bunch of people scouting for him. When you spend $65K for a once in a lifetime opportunity, you'd best make it count.

The guy handed over the cash, got the help he needed, executed a plan and it all came together for him--on a fair chase hunt.

Good for him!
The anti-hunter groups like PETA must love this post. If you pay money for a guide, it's not a legitimate hunt. If you have help, it's not a legitimate hunt. If you get an elk the first two days, it's not legitimate. If you legally scout from an airplane, forget it: not legitimate. If you shoot at 250 yards, not legitimate. If you kill an older regal elk, it's not legitimate.

Keep it up: the antis love you.
Originally Posted by Waders

+1

And as for buying the Governor's tag--I don't blame the guy for having a bunch of people scouting for him. When you spend $65K for a once in a lifetime opportunity, you'd best make it count.

The guy handed over the cash, got the help he needed, executed a plan and it all came together for him--on a fair chase hunt.

Good for him!

Perfect execution!
Nice bull....I was sorta hoping that just your average everyday joe hunter who won the tag in a RAFFLE that EVERYONE can have a chance at minimal cost to enter would have bagged it. Im impressed only by the animal itself. Would the state still make their money for wildlife management through the use of a governor tag RAFFLE? Yes. So why does one person get the shot just because he has the deep pockets? I dont understand the "to the highest bidder" bullcrap. To me....its making a division of hunters...and thats not good for hunting.
the guys a successful businessman from Oregon. hunting is his hobby and where he likes to spend his money. there were raffle hunters that had a legal tag for this animal. if he wants to spend his money in washington, so be it. he'd helps our wdfw budget. i say congratulations to him. even though i love the diy hunts, if this is how he likes to hunt, i'm happy if he's happy.
I live here in wa. I have researched this enough for my tastes. I am gonna say this...that is a big bull, I would be the proudest hunter alive to have it as my own, but I would sure as grass is green hope that the guys I hunted it with were all close friends of mine. if the guides were just guys keeping tabs on this bull I would be embarrased to be the guy who shot it.

mr agnew, thanks for the $$, I wish it had gone to protecting our wildlife instead of the comunist socialist state of the peoples republic of new california. if you simply shot a cornered bull, I hope you write a book on how to sleep at night.
I doubt that any bull of this stature could be considered an "easy" kill, even with help. Sure, friends can try to keep track of it, but a bull can travel 5 miles in a night, or drop into a nasty hole, and never be seen again. The bull is on his home turf, and he has senses fined tuned over many years of survival. Just because the hunter got the elk on the second day doesn't imply it was easy. The hunter could have gone all season and ended up with a $65,000 tag in his pocket.
BroncoLope: Once you have taken enough pictures of harvested Big Game Animals you will get tired of the "blaze orange" clothing in the photos that overwhelms the color balance sense of the image.
I always take off my blaze orange garments when I take, or have taken, pictures of the Game and myself.
This "overwhelming" of the color balance is ESPECIALLY offensive or noticeable when posing with Mt. Goats, Antelope and Bears!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
High_country_: Why on God's green earth would you be embarassed to use a "guide" while Hunting?
That is what "guides" do!
Among many, many other things they (guides!) "keep tabs" on the game in their Hunting areas!
I am puzzled and baffled by the negativity of your posting.
Do YOU have some proof this fine trophy was taken in any manner other than fair chase - if so please state your proof!
Otherwise I suggest your "Washington taxed to death and miserable attitude" should not be so negatively projected upon this Hunter and his fine trophy!
I congratulate the Hunter for taking such a wonderful trophy and for doing it in Washington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: "I was born, raised and learned to Hunt in Washington. I lived there for 49 years and then I retired and moved to Montana!
These last 11 years living and Hunting year round here in Montana have been the happiest most wonderful years of my life"!
High_country_, I think you need a break from "Taxington"!
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
High_country_: Why on God's green earth would you be embarassed to use a "guide" while Hunting?
That is what "guides" do!
Among many, many other things they (guides!) "keep tabs" on the game in their Hunting areas!
I am puzzled and baffled by the negativity of your posting.
Do YOU have some proof this fine trophy was taken in any manner other than fair chase - if so please state your proof!
Otherwise I suggest your "Washington taxed to death and miserable attitude" should not be so negatively projected upon this Hunter and his fine trophy!
I congratulate the Hunter for taking such a wonderful trophy and for doing it in Washington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: "I was born, raised and learned to Hunt in Washington. I lived there for 49 years and then I retired and moved to Montana!
These last 11 years living and Hunting year round here in Montana have been the happiest most wonderful years of my life"!
High_country_, I think you need a break from "Taxington"!

wow, where to start? ok, I have no problem at all with paying taxes. I live a good life,drive paved roads, my neighbors house caught on fire and was extingushed before it was lost, the mail shows up most days.....taxation is not even an issue for me. representation......now we can talk. I live on the east side of washington which might as well be a foreign country. we are forgoten by the west side.

I have no disrespect AT ALL for guides. I have many a great friends that are guides and they all do what they love for next to nothing.....hats off to them.

how is a group of guys keeping tabs on a bull that gets shot by a guy who has only been out of his plane for 2 hours guiding.........that is what makes me ill. I wish WA was more like AK.

you need to understand that WA residents have to chose which wepon they will use to hunt with, then they will be given a tag for a spike bull. assuming the hunter gun hunts, he will have roughly 80 hours of legal light to hunt in for the whole season. allowing a person to buy his way past the laws does not sit well with me. I am not alone. The "guides" did what they do. good for them, I would be happy to put that on my resume' HOWEVER I, as in ME, have not used the services of a guide, would feel embarrased to hunt my own state with a guide (even my close friends). Paying to hunt is killing my state. every year it becomes more like texas, buy your lease then go hunt. it's not real popular with us who used to simply fix fences and hang signs for a permission slip, now it seems about 2g's is what is prefered to a helping hand from a neighbor.

it is not the guides that I am negative twards, its not taxes, it is the way hunting in my state is becoming a rich mans sport, I don't care for it at all.

none the less, that is a whopper of a bull. it's too bad it got all the publicity, I bet the draw odds are really screwd now.

have a great day.

greg
Originally Posted by Waders

+1

Good for him!

+100. I have NINE preference points for Eastern Oregon elk next fall. I can promise you I'll draw an excellent unit, and then I'll use up ALL my greenstamps with the highly successful Eastern Oregon elk hunters I know and may even hire a guide. The guide won't cost me $65K, but I think the nine years of my life waiting to draw the tag is worth motr than $65K.........
Congrats to Dan !!!!!! I have knpwn him and his family for over 50 years and Dan is a very hard working hunter that can afford the very best in equipment and hunts.
Sounds like a bunch of politicians and green eyed monsters, because someone has worked hard, been successful, and can buy a $65,000 elk tag that really does a lot of good and absolutly no harm, and its a fair chase hunt with a guide, and he gets bashed..Something is wrong with this picture and that is exactly what is wrong with our country today...Everyone wants to punish anyone that is successful and reward the losers. What a bunch of BS....
Hi Country

In some respects I kind of agree with you on some of what you said, but not in this case. I lived in "the Heart of the Columbia Basin" for ten years and my wife and her family are from there and have lived all over the Columbia Basin and the Yakima Area. My grandfather prospected the area from the Columbia River to the Idaho Border in a covered wagon with his dad and my grandmother's family settled at Fort Spokane and I have relatives allover the eastside.

I lived in the area in the seventies and saw and know the owners of many of the prime farming/hunting land in the area lease their lands to the hunting clubs out of westside of the state and I've also seen the Doctors and the Lawyers come in from both the westside and out of state go in and hunt these lands and watched the local Game Wardon sit at the gate leaving said properties writing violation after violation for no hunting licenses, upland bird stamps,duck stamps and being in possession of birds two, three, four or more in excess legal limits.
I mean no disrespect to me agnew himself, he took advantage of an opportunity. I simply dissagree with the opportunity.

I stand by my comment that money is destroying my states access.

Private land access is being lost all over the country by those with deep pockets. Can't stop or change that. But in this case the man nailed one of the biggest bulls ever taken on 100% public land! And left a $65,000 donation to boot. Not a thing wrong with that.

Now the fact that he might have flown in and possibly over the said trophy in the same afternoon and killed it dose raise some ethical issues. And dose anyone know if that's even true?

Until they drag his ass in court and start to issue citations it should be considered nothing but legit and his research, effort and donation along with such a grand animal should receive praise from sportsman. To bash is simply IMO nothing more than a jealous man.

That is a one awesome bull!! I've also heard he killed a 420 plus bull in Arizon. And he hard to work much harder for that one! hell I'd give anything for a 450 class bull to drop from my shot a couple hours into the hunt! But pretty sure that aint gonna happen anytime soon..LOL I wonder if he has a daughter that hasn't wed yet? smile
near as I can tell it is not illegal to land your plane and shoot a bull 2 hours later here
I thought I'd read in the game regs a couple of years ago that here in Washington that was illegal to hunt on the same day that you used an aircraft to locate game, but it said nothing about the legality of hunting on the same day of coming in on a commercial flight.
how many commercial airports are there in walla walla?
W7WCT,
illegal to hunt on the same day that you used an aircraft to locate game

He didn't need to locate the game from the air. He hired guides to do that before he entered the air plane.
One: ALW. They have commercial flights in and out 365 days per year.
Ringman

I didn't say he did. I was repling to Hi Country's remark:

near as I can tell it is not illegal to land your plane and shoot a bull 2 hours later here

And if Memory serves me right he can fly into the Tri-Cities, Kenniwick/Pasco/Richland, and it's only about an hours drive to Walla Walla if that long.
I'll believe it when I see that Boone and Crockett believes it and publishes something about it. There have been too many of these stories floating around the net.
Once again money has shown that it can be mightier than ethics. Last year the goveners tag was used under questionable means and the game dept. looked the other way and then this year the govenors tag is once again used in a very unethicial manner and the game dept. once again looks the other way. Dan Agnew had no Idea where in the world he was unless he marked on his GPS because he was on the mountian for a total of about 3hrs. he had an army of scouts looking for this bull that last years gov. tag holder passed on because he did not want a non-typical bull.The game dept. wants a good spin put on this because they do not want the golden goose to quit laying eggs.All of the stories that have shown up in the papers are nothing but game Dept. propaganda. Had this gentleman actually been on the mountain and scouted for this bull himself I would be the first to congratulate him. I would be embrassed to say that I hunted this bull because all he did was buy the right to murder it. I don't normally weight in on these matters because they usually happen in areas that I have never been to, but this bull was a great elk that I have veiwed on many occasion and to have it murdered for money does not set well with me. Yes the Wa. Dept of game got $65,000 out of it to look the other way and the guides were paid very handsomely for their efferts. But that still does not excuse the manner in which this great animal was hunted.I am sure that I have upset some of you out there, but that is how i see is whole situation.

BluMtn.
Even here in Oregon, hunting and getting tags is all about the money. Getting to be a rich mans sport. Also as I understand it, one of the guides or the outfitter might be under investigation for not being licensed where the bull was shot.
"I'll believe it when I see that Boone and Crockett believes it and publishes something about it."

They already have.
http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/...atch4A7B66AD-7E62-4A9B-926A-DF52146BAC26

"Evergreen State Bull
November 6, 2008
One look and you can see why rumors would fly. Dan Agnew took this outstanding 9x10 non-typical American elk from Washington State (not Oregon). The free-ranging bull (not pen raised) has been officially scored and is expected to be entered soon. The entry score is 436-2/8 net B&C and 446-4/8 gross B&C.

The current state record non-typical from Washington scores 421-7/8 and was taken from Kittitas County in 2003 by Jeffery G. Thorpe."
"Agnew also set another record by paying $65,000 for the eastside Governor's Tag,"

Sorry, but things like that make me sick....

is hunting supposed to be only for the wealthy and privileged?

and then the guy admits, to going out and shooting it lickty split...Sheesh, for that amount, did the guide rope him and have him tied to a tree???

I am not impressed at all....
Good enough for Boone and Crockett Good enough for me. Well done Dan Agnew. Congrats on a fine bull! I'm sure many in Washington will appreciate the donation.
Its a great story anyway you look at it. Are any of you crappy sour grapes people thinking of the good hard work that the guides put in??? They are hard working people and you are pissing on their Super Bowl of hunting. No matter how you look at it, we are all working for a rich man. This one happens to be a rich HUNTER----OUR FRIEND---- A LIKE MINDED RICH PERSON is our BEST friend. You are just stupid or jealous if you don't look on the bright side of this event. You need to protect OUR sport no matter what the circumstances are (as long as it was all legal). GET IT??
Mebbe the fellow was spending down to avoid the tax raping that is coming in the next year from an Obamasized society. Nice bull indeed. $65k, that is about 1/6th of what I need for my retirement... Alas...

Be safe

Patty
birddog65,

Well said. These moaners are jelous to the hilt. If they had the chance, they would have shot this bull also.

I met a fellow here in Oregon who killed a B&C elk. He packed in with a guide and set up camp. The next morning he got up before the guide. When he went outside the ten to relieve himself, he saw the bull about 200 yards away. Just like all of us here, since it was the first day, he let it slide, right? He quietly reached into the tent got his rifle and shot it. You'd think he would have tried to put an ethical stock on it and cut the distance to a sure fifty yards.

What an unethical guy. You would at least think he would wake the guide so he could be told when to shoot. (I've watched T.V. hunting,you know.) From the guide's perspective, he was no more than an impolite alarm clock. How would you like to be awakened by a rifle shot?

By the way, it scored 408. That in itself make it an unethical hunt.
Lots of sour grapes for sure. As far as I can see the hunter did nothing illegal or unethical except make more money than most of us could ever hope too. Odds are that his wife is really pretty and he drives some nice vehicles too. That's life.
Hi. I'm new here. I have hunted several years, and am pro-hunter, and a capitalist. I will never begrudge someone for having or spending money, nor for shooting a great bull.

I live in the area, and am one of those evil landowners. Here are some of the STORIES I have heard about this bull.

-Mr. Agnew flew in on a private aircraft the day of the hunt. Washington State law says "It is unlawful to hunt big game on the same day you were airborn for any purpose, except for a regularly scheduled commercial flight". You can check it out at www.wdfw.wa.gov. Check the big game regs yourself.

-The "guides" were paid very well for scouting and given very generous bonus' for the kill, but not all the "guides" were licensed. I don't know the particulars, but would bet that little "technicality" can be handled.

-The Bull was only 100 yards from the road that day. The story said it was a 250 yard shot, so maybe it was 350 yards from the road, but that is just speculation on my part, I don't know.

-I also heard that the guy flew up from California, obviously not true.

-I've heard it was shot on tribal land.

-I've heard the head "guide" was from around Elgin, Oregon, but do not recall his name. That was from a neighbor that knows his dad.

-I've heard the dates on the camera were messed up because they wanted to get the dates right, but I don't believe that one bit.

The rumors were absolutely flying around here.

The "anti-hunters" can say what they want, but if they want to see any wildlife, they need to let sportsmen help manage game by hunting not only game animals but the predators too. We all know what a mess we have now that we can't hunt cats with dogs over here any more. The problem is that they will only believe what they want to, and no matter what we say or do, they are going to hate us. Look what they did to Gov. Palin, the moose hunter. They will trash us and belittle us. Our only hope is to pass on sportmanship and time in the field to our children, grandchildren and friends. If there were any improprieties in the taking of this bull, I hope the money does not cloud the officials vision. I personally have more faith in our local game officers than that.

I know that there are many great bulls in Eastern Washington, and much of the access is very limited. I watched several opening day in the Mill Creek Watershed (draw only), while spotting from the "Skyline". You want to earn one, shoot it in that hole. Unfortunately, about the only way for most of us to shoot a branched antler bull in Washington is by being drawn for one. No land owner preference tags, like Oregon. For the rest of us, it's spike only. That's just the way it is. If it proves to be a fair hunt, then I not only wish the man my congratulations, but would like to shake his hand.

I wish you all the best.

5Points
Thanks for the "stories". Obviously as you point out, not all are true, which means we can't know which ones are.
Yea, there are so many conflicting accounts, like "packed for a month" in one story, and "flew in that day" in another. When the guides had supposedly been sitting on the bull for a week, why would you pack for a month? And why would you fly in with a month's worth of gear for that matter? Can you imagine the excess baggage charge if it wasn't a private plane? The private palne would probably be cheaper! Har! He sure did make it sound as if he flew in and then left right after though. That sure is great timing, there are only two flights out of Walla Walla to Seattle a day (I think, don't quote me on that) now anyway.

One thing about it. People can't help but talk. The truth will come out sooner or later, if it hasn't already.
Wow that's a nice bull.
© 24hourcampfire