Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W7WCT,
illegal to hunt on the same day that you used an aircraft to locate game

He didn't need to locate the game from the air. He hired guides to do that before he entered the air plane.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
One: ALW. They have commercial flights in and out 365 days per year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ringman

I didn't say he did. I was repling to Hi Country's remark:

near as I can tell it is not illegal to land your plane and shoot a bull 2 hours later here

And if Memory serves me right he can fly into the Tri-Cities, Kenniwick/Pasco/Richland, and it's only about an hours drive to Walla Walla if that long.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'll believe it when I see that Boone and Crockett believes it and publishes something about it. There have been too many of these stories floating around the net.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Once again money has shown that it can be mightier than ethics. Last year the goveners tag was used under questionable means and the game dept. looked the other way and then this year the govenors tag is once again used in a very unethicial manner and the game dept. once again looks the other way. Dan Agnew had no Idea where in the world he was unless he marked on his GPS because he was on the mountian for a total of about 3hrs. he had an army of scouts looking for this bull that last years gov. tag holder passed on because he did not want a non-typical bull.The game dept. wants a good spin put on this because they do not want the golden goose to quit laying eggs.All of the stories that have shown up in the papers are nothing but game Dept. propaganda. Had this gentleman actually been on the mountain and scouted for this bull himself I would be the first to congratulate him. I would be embrassed to say that I hunted this bull because all he did was buy the right to murder it. I don't normally weight in on these matters because they usually happen in areas that I have never been to, but this bull was a great elk that I have veiwed on many occasion and to have it murdered for money does not set well with me. Yes the Wa. Dept of game got $65,000 out of it to look the other way and the guides were paid very handsomely for their efferts. But that still does not excuse the manner in which this great animal was hunted.I am sure that I have upset some of you out there, but that is how i see is whole situation.

BluMtn.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Even here in Oregon, hunting and getting tags is all about the money. Getting to be a rich mans sport. Also as I understand it, one of the guides or the outfitter might be under investigation for not being licensed where the bull was shot.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
"I'll believe it when I see that Boone and Crockett believes it and publishes something about it."

They already have.
http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/...atch4A7B66AD-7E62-4A9B-926A-DF52146BAC26

"Evergreen State Bull
November 6, 2008
One look and you can see why rumors would fly. Dan Agnew took this outstanding 9x10 non-typical American elk from Washington State (not Oregon). The free-ranging bull (not pen raised) has been officially scored and is expected to be entered soon. The entry score is 436-2/8 net B&C and 446-4/8 gross B&C.

The current state record non-typical from Washington scores 421-7/8 and was taken from Kittitas County in 2003 by Jeffery G. Thorpe."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"Agnew also set another record by paying $65,000 for the eastside Governor's Tag,"

Sorry, but things like that make me sick....

is hunting supposed to be only for the wealthy and privileged?

and then the guy admits, to going out and shooting it lickty split...Sheesh, for that amount, did the guide rope him and have him tied to a tree???

I am not impressed at all....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Good enough for Boone and Crockett Good enough for me. Well done Dan Agnew. Congrats on a fine bull! I'm sure many in Washington will appreciate the donation.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Its a great story anyway you look at it. Are any of you crappy sour grapes people thinking of the good hard work that the guides put in??? They are hard working people and you are pissing on their Super Bowl of hunting. No matter how you look at it, we are all working for a rich man. This one happens to be a rich HUNTER----OUR FRIEND---- A LIKE MINDED RICH PERSON is our BEST friend. You are just stupid or jealous if you don't look on the bright side of this event. You need to protect OUR sport no matter what the circumstances are (as long as it was all legal). GET IT??

If you really like something,you better buy two!
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Mebbe the fellow was spending down to avoid the tax raping that is coming in the next year from an Obamasized society. Nice bull indeed. $65k, that is about 1/6th of what I need for my retirement... Alas...

Be safe

Patty

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
birddog65,

Well said. These moaners are jelous to the hilt. If they had the chance, they would have shot this bull also.

I met a fellow here in Oregon who killed a B&C elk. He packed in with a guide and set up camp. The next morning he got up before the guide. When he went outside the ten to relieve himself, he saw the bull about 200 yards away. Just like all of us here, since it was the first day, he let it slide, right? He quietly reached into the tent got his rifle and shot it. You'd think he would have tried to put an ethical stock on it and cut the distance to a sure fifty yards.

What an unethical guy. You would at least think he would wake the guide so he could be told when to shoot. (I've watched T.V. hunting,you know.) From the guide's perspective, he was no more than an impolite alarm clock. How would you like to be awakened by a rifle shot?

By the way, it scored 408. That in itself make it an unethical hunt.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lots of sour grapes for sure. As far as I can see the hunter did nothing illegal or unethical except make more money than most of us could ever hope too. Odds are that his wife is really pretty and he drives some nice vehicles too. That's life.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi. I'm new here. I have hunted several years, and am pro-hunter, and a capitalist. I will never begrudge someone for having or spending money, nor for shooting a great bull.

I live in the area, and am one of those evil landowners. Here are some of the STORIES I have heard about this bull.

-Mr. Agnew flew in on a private aircraft the day of the hunt. Washington State law says "It is unlawful to hunt big game on the same day you were airborn for any purpose, except for a regularly scheduled commercial flight". You can check it out at www.wdfw.wa.gov. Check the big game regs yourself.

-The "guides" were paid very well for scouting and given very generous bonus' for the kill, but not all the "guides" were licensed. I don't know the particulars, but would bet that little "technicality" can be handled.

-The Bull was only 100 yards from the road that day. The story said it was a 250 yard shot, so maybe it was 350 yards from the road, but that is just speculation on my part, I don't know.

-I also heard that the guy flew up from California, obviously not true.

-I've heard it was shot on tribal land.

-I've heard the head "guide" was from around Elgin, Oregon, but do not recall his name. That was from a neighbor that knows his dad.

-I've heard the dates on the camera were messed up because they wanted to get the dates right, but I don't believe that one bit.

The rumors were absolutely flying around here.

The "anti-hunters" can say what they want, but if they want to see any wildlife, they need to let sportsmen help manage game by hunting not only game animals but the predators too. We all know what a mess we have now that we can't hunt cats with dogs over here any more. The problem is that they will only believe what they want to, and no matter what we say or do, they are going to hate us. Look what they did to Gov. Palin, the moose hunter. They will trash us and belittle us. Our only hope is to pass on sportmanship and time in the field to our children, grandchildren and friends. If there were any improprieties in the taking of this bull, I hope the money does not cloud the officials vision. I personally have more faith in our local game officers than that.

I know that there are many great bulls in Eastern Washington, and much of the access is very limited. I watched several opening day in the Mill Creek Watershed (draw only), while spotting from the "Skyline". You want to earn one, shoot it in that hole. Unfortunately, about the only way for most of us to shoot a branched antler bull in Washington is by being drawn for one. No land owner preference tags, like Oregon. For the rest of us, it's spike only. That's just the way it is. If it proves to be a fair hunt, then I not only wish the man my congratulations, but would like to shake his hand.

I wish you all the best.

5Points

Good hunting,

5Points
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the "stories". Obviously as you point out, not all are true, which means we can't know which ones are.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Yea, there are so many conflicting accounts, like "packed for a month" in one story, and "flew in that day" in another. When the guides had supposedly been sitting on the bull for a week, why would you pack for a month? And why would you fly in with a month's worth of gear for that matter? Can you imagine the excess baggage charge if it wasn't a private plane? The private palne would probably be cheaper! Har! He sure did make it sound as if he flew in and then left right after though. That sure is great timing, there are only two flights out of Walla Walla to Seattle a day (I think, don't quote me on that) now anyway.

One thing about it. People can't help but talk. The truth will come out sooner or later, if it hasn't already.

Good hunting,

5Points
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow that's a nice bull.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (257 mag, 10ring1, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 29 invisible), 1,789 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,333
Posts18,505,958
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.