Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just received this in an email.
Anyone have more information about this animal or the hunt?
Personally I hope it wasn't a hunt like the bull recently shot in Utah.

"quote"
I thought you would all find these Pics of the 466" Washington's Governors tag bull very interesting.
It is being called the "Bird Bath" elk.
The person who took these photos had an opportunity of a lifetime this last week and got to be a part of the hunt
for this Washington giant. The hunter was Dan Agnew from Vancouver. The bull is a 9x10, with a green score of
450" plus. It will be the new WA state record. Also included is a photo of the elk alive on the evening of
9/2/08 from across the canyon

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome animal,
I know nothing of the hunt but noticing Rifle and not a spec of blaze, I would say it was a ranch hunt, just a hunch.

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
no, it's probably not like the UT bull's demise - I'm only counting 5 guides in the pic (I think the UT guy had at least 6).

grin blush

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Wow!!!!!!!

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Wow! that is a nice bull! I also hope it wasnt like the other bull but you gotta wonder...........

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH

Also included is a photo of the elk alive on the evening of
9/2/08 from across the canyon

The pictures of the live and dead bull all have the same date. Kind of odd.

Nice bull though. Is it a RME or a Roosevelt? It also seems strange that they all have nice clean cammies on and absolutely no orange. Is orange a requirement during the WA rifle season?

The governor's tag allows the holder to hunt in any open or draw unit right??? As long as all rules concerning the unit or draw are followed? Regardless it is a nice animal.

700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I did also notice the time oddity.
If the pictures were taken with the same camera it is a mistake to say " evening" as 07:00 the time of the "live" picture would have been 7 AM. The remaining pictures are in the 20:00's which is evening.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
I did also notice the time oddity.
If the pictures were taken with the same camera it is a mistake to say " evening" as 07:00 the time of the "live" picture would have been 7 AM. The remaining pictures are in the 20:00's which is evening.

You're right...

Seriously, look how clean n~perty those guys are. Me and my gang hunt in nasty, blood stained wranglers and walls. Our orange and cammies are ripped and faded. Those dudes look like Cabelas models.

That doesn't mean this bull wasn't fair chase or anything, they just doesn't strike me as average hunters/guides. Maybe they wanted a "magazine perfect" picture or something. Who knows.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Judging by the terrain and the massive rack it's a Rocky Mountain elk. If I was taking a pic of a bull that nice I'd clean up a bit and ditch the clown...I mean hunter...orange too. I doubt I'd be rifle hunting in full on camo though. I'm more fond of Filson wool coat and army surplus wool pants but I'm on a budget.

I'm not making any judgments about how or where the elk was taken just because it's huge. We don't have any elk ranching in WA so if it was a "ranch hunt" that can only mean fair chase on public land. A bull nearly that big was taken by a Yakama tribal member a few years back near Satus Pass so they're out there.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This news has really made the rounds here in Washington (as it should for such an awesome bull). Here's a press release which can perhaps shed some more insight:

In Washington, hunter Dan Agnew reportedly knocked down a green-scored 449-gross, 436-net, non-typical Rocky Mountain elk. The current record is a 2003 bow-kill that measured 421 7/8.
Agnew also set another record by paying $65,000 for the eastside Governor's Tag, the highest ever in Washington. The bids rose because hunters knew this big bull was somewhere out there in Game Management Unit 162 in the state's southwest.
Agnew hired two local guides and shot the bull after a short hunt on Sept. 2.

"A lot of people have really given me a hard time because it sounds like I kind of showed up and shot him and went home, and that is kind of what happened," Agnew told the Spokesman-Review. "But that has never happened to me before. I've spent months looking for big elk and come home empty-handed."
Agnew is not new to big-game hunting. The Vancouver, Wash., hunter has several B&C bulls under his belt. One 410 elk, shot in Arizona in 2003, has the distinction of the longest main beam in B&C records: 66 3/8 inches.

As for the hunter orange requirement, as I interpret the regulations, hunter orange would indeed be required:

�Anyone hunting deer or elk in an area currently open to modern firearm deer or elk hunting is required to wear fluorescent hunter orange clothing. This includes archers and muzzleloaders while hunting in units which overlap modern firearm seasons.�

�Anyone hunting in an area that is open for modern firearm deer or elk hunting must meet hunter orange requirements if they are hunting any of the following species: Bear, Bobcat, Cougar, Coyote,Deer, Elk, Fox, Grouse, Hare, Rabbit, or Raccoon.�

J.R.

"Put your trust in God, but keep your powder dry"--Oliver Cromwell
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Badge251

Agnew also set another record by paying $65,000 for the eastside Governor's Tag, the highest ever in Washington. The bids rose because hunters knew this big bull was somewhere out there in Game Management Unit 162 in the state's southwest.

I wish I had $65,000 to spend on anything, let alone an elk tag. He probably worked hard for his money, so good for him. Hired guides or not, that is a great bull.

The 2 bold words do have me confused though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
its the sw of the east side............or lower middle

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I read it was a public land hunt near Dayton. The reason they aren't wearing clown suits, I mean hunter orange is that the governor's tag allows hunting from Sept. 1 to Dec. 1 and orange is only required during specific general and special seasons, this one man season not being one of them.

Dude hired two guides, one from OR and one from WA and the hunt only took an hour because he got lucky.

I don't begrudge the dude his awesome bull. If I had that kind of money I sure wouldn't be living like I am now either.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yep.....very nice bull. I'm envious and obviously less affluent.......grin.

I hope the hunter enjoys his moment, 'cuz the one pic looks like he'll blow his head off if one's chambered, his safety is off and one of those little branches catches on his trigger..................just a thought.

R
RLG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think his father was Sam Agnew. Had large timber holdings in Southern Oregon. When Sam died I heard the inheritence tax value was $50,000,000. I think the timber holdings were sold in the 1980,s and logs shipped to Japan.

"No balls, No blue chips."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Money can buy happiness !

Rolly
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This was nothing more than a commercial assassination using
5 clowns dressed in camo.

This is not hunting.

Too bad "they" killed a magnificent animal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amen to that SU!

Like I've said b4, remove the hunters name from the record books and see how things go...

Oh and you spose that's a 30/378 with a Brake on it...now I know why I can't stand those rifles..... grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Oh and you spose that's a 30/378 with a Brake on it...now I know why I can't stand those rifles.....

grin grin grin

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Congrats to Everyone!!
Conrats to the guides who guided to this this bull, hopefully it made their year!!Just being in the pic is awesome but I hope they were taken care of!!
Congrats to the State of Washington for producing an awesome bull and for setting a new record for their auction tag!
Congrats to The Washington G&F and to the people of Washington who will benefit from the revenue that was brought in from the tag!
And finally Congrats to the hunter Dan Agnew (who has one of the greatest collections of Trophy bulls ever!)who had enough money to buy the tag, and make the shot count on another awesome bull!!(even if it was easy!!)

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 222Sako, 46 invisible), 18,678 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,945
Posts18,539,352
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.