Home
Posted By: 7fa 270 Wby or 375 H&H for Elk hunt? - 02/08/13
I know the "which caliber" topic has been beat to death, but would appreciate some opinions opinions on which makes the most sense for my 1st guided elk hunt this Fall. Guide says shots typically from 150-400 yds. I personally want to get as close as possible but know it's not always possible.

Win 70 in 270 Wby w/ 2.5x8 glass. Have hunted with it for years and trust it, but I'm on the fence if it's a bit light for Elk and if its enough magnification?

Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 375 H&H 1.75-6 glass. New to the stable and haven't hunted with it yet, but it shoots well and is lighter and more handy than the Bee. Being a Winchester man I realize the bolt handle may fall off during an Elk charge, but I'm willing to take the risk...

I'd like to use the 375 (since I bought it for possible heavy stuff) but the potential for a long range shot is making me think twice.

What do you think?
Use what you are most used to/comfortable with. You WILL get a bit "shaky" when you throw down on your first big bull Elk, no question, I STILL do!

A 150NP in your .270 Bee WILL rock his socks and the old "ouch and ouch" is NOT needed for any Elk I have ever seen in almost 50 years of watching them.
400 is do-able with a .375 and 6x... shoot it a bunch before the hunt and you're golden.
I'd grab the 270 Weatherby..it isn't lacking anything as an elk rifle and the scope is plenty.

Elk are pretty big even at 400 yards. smile
Originally Posted by 7fa
I know the "which caliber" topic has been beat to death, but would appreciate some opinions opinions on which makes the most sense for my 1st guided elk hunt this Fall. Guide says shots typically from 150-400 yds. I personally want to get as close as possible but know it's not always possible.

Win 70 in 270 Wby w/ 2.5x8 glass. Have hunted with it for years and trust it, but I'm on the fence if it's a bit light for Elk and if its enough magnification?

Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 375 H&H 1.75-6 glass. New to the stable and haven't hunted with it yet, but it shoots well and is lighter and more handy than the Bee. Being a Winchester man I realize the bolt handle may fall off during an Elk charge, but I'm willing to take the risk...

I'd like to use the 375 (since I bought it for possible heavy stuff) but the potential for a long range shot is making me think twice.

What do you think?

That's a no brainer...Take both, so you'll have a spare just incase that bolt handle falls off.. grin whistle
I would go with the .270 Wth. with a good bullet loaded toward the top, you should be able to hold on the top of an elk's back and still drill him in the chest at 400 yards..A Nosler Partition is the answer to your bullet needs..the 7mm mag. is a very popular caliber in this area due to the chance for a longer poke..now worries about serious drop until you get well beyond 400 yd..As for killing and elk, my best pals son dropped one last Nov. at a lazered 604 yards, one shot, with a 7mm Mag. and 140 grain Balistic tip..He shoots often and knows his rifles..a .270 Wea. is not that different..
Originally Posted by kutenay
Use what you are most used to/comfortable with. You WILL get a bit "shaky" when you throw down on your first big bull Elk, no question, I STILL do!

A 150NP in your .270 Bee WILL rock his socks and the old "ouch and ouch" is NOT needed for any Elk I have ever seen in almost 50 years of watching them.

^^^^^^^ this
Either rig will do you well, take the one your the most comfy with. I like both rounds and both are plenty elk capable.

Put a 6x36 Leo w/dotz on that 375, run a 260 Accu or 250 Sierra and Powder River let er buck. Elk to 400 are easy with a set up as such.

Dober
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Either rig will do you well, take the one your the most comfy with. I like both rounds and both are plenty elk capable.

Put a 6x36 Leo w/dotz on that 375, run a 260 Accu or 250 Sierra and Powder River let er buck. Elk to 400 are easy with a set up as such.

Dober

I concur and very good suggestions. One of my elk hunting buddies uses a 270 Wby and has killed plenty of elk with it. It's a fantastic elk cartridge, IMO. Frankly, I'd wouldn't give bringing either a second thought, but would lean towards the one I was most comfortable with and shot the best.

You probably already know this, but boot and clothing selection are a more important decision. Very few things wreck a hunt faster than ill-fitting boots. Good luck!
My choice would be the 270 Wby and it is more than capable of dropping any Elk . More Elk are lost by poor bullet placement than the round in the rifle you are using. Elk aren't that hard to kill if you shoot them were they live. The biggest mistake first time Elk hunters make is they shoot them to far behind the shoulder and either miss or just barely nick the lungs and they will get away from you in the Timber. Just remember to shoot center toward the front of the chest and they won't go far if they go anywhere .
Originally Posted by 7fa

What do you think?
............Although both are do-able, I`d go with your 270 Bee as well. A 270 Wby certainly isn`t under-gunned for any elk. And your 2.5x8 glass is about right on the money too, especially if as you say, your guide says shots are typically 150-400 yards. Magnified to 8x, that scope would be good imo for elk out about 600-700 yards if necessary.

For a big moose or dangerous bear hunt at closer ranges maybe within less open country, then I`d be more inclined to opt and use a 375.

My vote goes for the 375 H+H. Ideal Elk cartridge.
Yep...take them both, then go with what your gut tells you when you head out in the field. I had a .375 H&H and a .270 Win. ready to go on my last bull hunt (too many years ago). I carried the .375 on the first day and passed on a spindly spike. On day two, my cousin talked me into carrying the .270 (that's all he carries). I jumped a decent 6x6 and the bullet sailed on through. That bull ran a long way, 380 of my brothers steps, but we recovered him down and out. My shot was up hill and I had a little window to shoot through. The bullet expanded ok because there was a big hole in the right rib cage. I didn't do a complete autopsy, but it seemed at the angle I took out the top of the animals right lung, and could very well have missed most if not all of the left lung. Either way, that animal had enough left to make it that long distance. And either way, he's on the wall.
Set yourself up an 8" paper plate. 100yds 50round of each cal,bench no countie! 50 and all from field holds. You soon shall see.
i've done that and i hunt with a .375 Ultra often as not. not because i don't think other cartridges won't work though.
Thanks for all the responses. Lots of good input to ponder.

Suggestions on bullet choices for each? I heard the Partition mentioned for the Wby?? My H&H came with several boxes of Federal 300gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, but they don't seem very popular.

Forgot to mention I can load my own.
7fa if you handload for the 375,I'd put something together with the Barnes TTSX 250 gr.
kawi, what is the point of that little exercise? fifty rounds of 375 will result I bet in bigger groups and a lot of that will be due to shooter fatigue. besides, who the hell shoots 50 rounds at an elk???
Originally Posted by kawi
Set yourself up an 8" paper plate. 100yds 50round of each cal,bench no countie! 50 and all from field holds. You soon shall see.

And the answer will be whichever rifle he chose to shoot first...
Originally Posted by 7fa

Suggestions on bullet choices for each? I heard the Partition mentioned for the Wby?? My H&H came with several boxes of Federal 300gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, but they don't seem very popular.

7fa - with Rl-15 and 260 gr Nosler Accubonds I put together a load that was very accurate and easy to shoot. "Borrowed" the load from John Barsness. Sighted it in at 200 yards, and practiced at 300 pretty regularly. No problem hitting the gong at 300, with that load.

When the bear stood up at a lasered 306 yards, again, no problem hitting. Excellent bullet performance too. Simply couldn't be happier with the combination. Haven't shot an elk with it yet, due to lack of opportunity. I imagine though that it would work out just fine.

Either rifle should do well - just giving some input on the 260 gr Accubond, which I consider a great game bullet. Enjoy your hunt!

Regards, Guy
that's one i'm gonna play with this spring guy. pretty good BC on that bullet so for my shooting ranges an accurate load could be the ticket.
The 270 Wby kills elk fine, just place that bullet right in the boiler room double lung shot, now that 270 Wby is about as close to the 7 Remington Mag as you can get, a lot of guys use the 7 on elk every year. By the way my dad only used the 270 Winchester 130 grain bullet exclusivly on his elk, thats right only Sierra bullets. He was one cool shot.
I would have to go with the 375 H&H. And I am not saying the 270 Weatherby won't do the job. It most certainly will. You stated the 375 is lighter and shoots well and you haven't hunted with it yet. There is no better way to build confidence than by shooting it and hunting with it.

The 375 H&H, especially when coupled with a good 250-270 grain bullet, is fully capable of 400 yard hits on elk. And you have plenty of scope. There is no need for more scope. Like one of the posters said, spend your money on good boots.

Yes, the 375 H&H bucks a little, but most shooters can learn to manage it's recoil. It takes range time but don't over do it. Use a sissy bag or a lead sled while you are developing loads. If you can find one of these I highly recommend it. It's called a Gunstock Shockabator, is a slip on pad and I use it during load development. I found it at Sportsman's Warehouse several years ago. It's made out some extremely squishy soft rubber and really takes the bite out of benching a big gun. I don't know if they still make them or not.

[Linked Image]

Once you have your load spend some time shooting it at 200, 300 and 400yards. I like to use an 8.5"x11" sheet of black craft paper to represent the kill zone and shoot at all the different yardages until I'm comfortable I can place my bullets on the paper. I'd go get some blood on the 375 were I in your shoes.

Mart
Plenty of good stuff addressing your question. I have both rifles but have only grabbed the 270 WBY with 150 gr. Swift A Frames in the magazine. So far, all elk recovered and not one went very far. If you are questioning the magnification on the WBY, I would think it would also be a question on the 375. You can't go wrong but do not worry about the 270 WBY being too light. Hope to see pics....
Originally Posted by Firemann
The 270 Wby kills elk fine, just place that bullet right in the boiler room double lung shot, now that 270 Wby is about as close to the 7 Remington Mag as you can get, a lot of guys use the 7 on elk every year. By the way my dad only used the 270 Winchester 130 grain bullet exclusivly on his elk, thats right only Sierra bullets. He was one cool shot.

I agree.
Whatever a 28 can do so can a 27.The stuff my friend has shot with the 270 is a impressive list.
Originally Posted by 7fa

I have shot several Elk and Bear with my Winchester Model 70 375 H+H, it's never given me any reason to doubt it. If I had several boxes of 300 grn. Bear Claws, I would sight it in with that load and go kill some Elk. No problem!
Originally Posted by mart
I would have to go with the 375 H&H. And I am not saying the 270 Weatherby won't do the job. It most certainly will. You stated the 375 is lighter and shoots well and you haven't hunted with it yet. There is no better way to build confidence than by shooting it and hunting with it.

The 375 H&H, especially when coupled with a good 250-270 grain bullet, is fully capable of 400 yard hits on elk.

Once you have your load spend some time shooting it at 200, 300 and 400yards....

True! Good advise! smile Thinking Barnes 250 TTSX and the right dose of RL15. wink
Either will do the job. I like the .375. On the last 6x6 bull I used a heavy load with 260 AccuBonds at 527 yds as per the rangefinder with a Lyman 6X, worked great. Can't go wrong either way.
I would get a part time job and get something lightweight like a Kimber Montana in a WSM caliber.
I returned home from Vietnam in the summer of 1970, and was then stationed in Ft Sill, OK. I used to spend a lot of evenings on the rifle range there (the Army gave me free ammo!!), and one evening there were two guys at the bench next to me that were shooting a .375 H&H.

I asked them why they were shooting such a cannon, and they said they had borrowed it from a friend as one of them had drawn an elk tag at the nearby Wichita Wildlife Refuge, and he was told that he needed at least a .375 H&H to kill an elk.

Back then I had only killed one bull elk, and I knew you didn't need that large a rifle to kill an elk, but I didn't say anything to them.

Now, 40 some years and 30 some elk later, I still know you don't need a .375 H&H to kill an elk.

Use your .270 Wby and put a 150 gr Partition or TSX in his vitals, and take a lot of pictures. grin

Originally Posted by bonecrusher338
My vote goes for the 375 H+H. Ideal Elk cartridge.

Yep, another vote for the H&H.
Originally Posted by 7fa

What do you think?

Your .270 Weatherby is a near-ideal elk cartridge, IMO- in the heat of battle, not having to think about holdover, bullet drop, etc. on a big bull elk out to 400 yd. is a real plus.

I'd take both rifles along, with the .375 as backup, if needed.
Last year was the first time I've hunted without a backup rifle since the mid-1980's. Only did so knowing I could borrow a backup from either of the other two hunters (hunting buddy and son-in-law) should the need arise. Take both.

The .270 WBY is fine for elk. I'd use a 140g AccuBond or 130g or 150g North Fork SS if handloading or a Federal Premium 130g Trophy Bonded if not.
I got to shoot a buddy's .375 H&H and I just loved it. I told him if it were mine I'd probably have to get it out deer hunting. Need ain't got nothing to do with it. A fine rifle is a fine rifle and a legendary cartridge is icing on the cake. I found the .375 H&H to be more shootable than I anticipated.
My .375 goes 10 lbs and change all up, so I would not consider it an ideal elk rifle, though the cartridge is an outstanding choice for wapiti. I also had a .270 WBY Accumark for several years, using it on numerous whitetail and mule deer, and I believe it to be ballistically one of the best cartridges available for an "all 'rounder". Given your options, my vote is .270 WBY, I liked the 140 AB's and 130 TSX's in the WBY, though heavier is available and the WBY has the horsepower to push them.
One thing is for sure, a 270 might expand but a 375 ain't going to shrink.
A guy has this as his tag line but about pistols, thought it was a good one. LOL
I have a cousen that use's a winchester 270 for all of his hunting .Says don't need a bigger gun.His game room has most all of the game in N.A.
do you need anything bigger than a .250 savage?
Originally Posted by 7fa

LOL - don't think that it can't happen! This is a Rem M700 XCR II .30-06 bought new in 2012.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 7fa

What do you think?

I've never hunted elk with either caliber, but I have used a .270 Win and a .338 Win Mag quite a bit, with total success for both.

Personally I think you would have the better choice with the .270 Wby, and the glass you have on it would be fine. It is not too light for elk in my opinion, provided you use a quality bullet and put it in the right place.

On the other hand, if you really want to use the .375, then take both rifles. Carry the .270 Wby most of the time when hunting where shots can be long. Carry the .375 H&H when hunting in the black timber where shots might be shorter and shot angles less optimum. I have no doubt that it will kill elk where they stand if you hit them right. Hit them wrong and nothing is large enough.

Talk to your outfitter about it. He may have some recommendations that you should consider.

The only thing that bothers me here is that your .270 Wby is heavier than your .375 H&H. Maybe you have a really heavy .270 Wby or a really light .375 H&H (groan)??

I see no reason for a relatively light caliber rifle to weigh a lot more than a big .375 H&H thumper. Personally, I hate carrying any heavy rifle when hunting rough country on foot.

You will presumably be on horseback, and thus the horse carries that rifle most of the time. But when off the horse, the weight of the rifle is on you.

If your .270 Wby weighs anything more than about 9 pounds field ready, then I would think it is too heavy. If your .375 H&H weighs much less, it might be too light.

Either gun will work, but I suspect the .270 Wby will have the advantage over the .375 H&H in most situations.

This is a great thing to look forward to, and I wish you the best of luck!
Try not to over think it, you're going to knock one down with either rifle when you go.
I have both and I would take the 270 WBY. It's perfect Elk medicine & does well at long ranges. Bring it to a range and do some long range shots.
I have both as well, I think if I were hunting elk tomorrow, I would pick the .270 Weatherby. I just love the gun and it has an awesome trajectory, I got mine for a deer/antelope rifle, but after dumping a mulie and my biggest whitetail to date last year at around 420 yards- I am a firm believer in it. Granted, I love my .375, as well, and that's the only rifle I hunted with in 2012, I still would give the nod to my Bee, especially if 400 yard shots were being called for. Having said that I've never hunted elk, but like I said, if I was jumping on a plane tomorrow, between those two I would pick the .270. Unfortunately for me there are a few other choices in the safe- which makes things a little more difficult!

No lack of advice and it's all good with some personal preferences thrown in. I've hunted considerably with rifles chambered for both cartridges--your question does not present a dilemma because as has been said both cartridges are elk-capable and easily so assuming you can put the bullet through the lungs/heart at a reasonable angle if other than broadside.

If this is a hump-it publc land hunt or any kind of mountain or higher altitude hunt, my preference goes to the lighter weight rig, assuming most of the other scope/rifle features are equal or nearly so. I think the 250-grTTSX gives the 375s more versatility yet and they haven't been bad in that department before.

While the 270 B will shoot some flatter it's not that much of an issue at "normal" ranges. A 150-gr at 3200 or a 160-gr at 3 grand is pretty darn flat and a 140-gr at 3200-3300 fps very much so. Some like the 130's in the 270 B but I would go just a bit heavier--just a personal preference. But as said, that's not too much of an issue up to 500 yds because a broadside bull or even a cow gives you a 15-20" "dinner plate" target. And a 250-gr TTSX, my recommend if you hand load the 375, should easily be started at 2900 fps out of 375 and it will fly plenty flat.

The biggest factor is neither cartridge or rifle (within reason) but you. Make your choice and then practice from field positions at distances up to the max you are comfortable with. This will build confidence with the knowledge of the trajectory at any reasonable distance with your choice of rifle and cartridge.

Most of all relax; you don't have to over think this stuff. There are a bucket full of cartridges that will kill an elk. You are the most significant link in the chain. smile Enjoy the ride.
I am taking a .270Win and a .375H&H with me to Colorado for second rifle this year. As one of the posters above mentioned, I will pick the one that floats my boat on that day...
take the one that you can hit a cold barrel gallon jug with at the 400 yd extreme range your guide mentioned...
I've had a 270Wby and a 375H&H, and sold them both. I still miss the 270Wby.
Either will drop elk. The factor to consider is will you have long shots. Where I hunt Montana , the elk go to cover when the hunters enter their areas. Had only one shot at 300 yards after the shootin started,all others under 200. Also ,there are Griz where we hunt so the 375 would feel better to have along.
When all said and done an arrow will kill em and with todays bullets [ I use only Nosler Accurbonds now,earlier used partitions] an elk will go down fast with either round you have selected.
40+ years ago this discussion would have smelled of the Elmer Keith/Jack O'Connor conflict of big bore/heavy bullets vs small bore/high velocity,Elmer pontificating about 6 270-wounded bulls for every one brought to bag... cry

We are smarter today and have better bullets;those from the 270 Weatherby will skewer an elk up close without blowing to smithereens,and still reach across canyon when needed....and items like the 250 gr TTSX from the 375 make 400 yard shots as easy as with a 270 or 30/06,from a trajectory standpoint...no need for lumbering round nosed stuff in the 375 as far as elk are concerned.

Either one is going to work and not much need for a lot of worry about which one to take.
© 24hourcampfire