Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by 7fa
I know the "which caliber" topic has been beat to death, but would appreciate some opinions opinions on which makes the most sense for my 1st guided elk hunt this Fall. Guide says shots typically from 150-400 yds. I personally want to get as close as possible but know it's not always possible.

Win 70 in 270 Wby w/ 2.5x8 glass. Have hunted with it for years and trust it, but I'm on the fence if it's a bit light for Elk and if its enough magnification?

Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 375 H&H 1.75-6 glass. New to the stable and haven't hunted with it yet, but it shoots well and is lighter and more handy than the Bee. Being a Winchester man I realize the bolt handle may fall off during an Elk charge, but I'm willing to take the risk...

I'd like to use the 375 (since I bought it for possible heavy stuff) but the potential for a long range shot is making me think twice.

What do you think?

I've never hunted elk with either caliber, but I have used a .270 Win and a .338 Win Mag quite a bit, with total success for both.

Personally I think you would have the better choice with the .270 Wby, and the glass you have on it would be fine. It is not too light for elk in my opinion, provided you use a quality bullet and put it in the right place.

On the other hand, if you really want to use the .375, then take both rifles. Carry the .270 Wby most of the time when hunting where shots can be long. Carry the .375 H&H when hunting in the black timber where shots might be shorter and shot angles less optimum. I have no doubt that it will kill elk where they stand if you hit them right. Hit them wrong and nothing is large enough.

Talk to your outfitter about it. He may have some recommendations that you should consider.

The only thing that bothers me here is that your .270 Wby is heavier than your .375 H&H. Maybe you have a really heavy .270 Wby or a really light .375 H&H (groan)??

I see no reason for a relatively light caliber rifle to weigh a lot more than a big .375 H&H thumper. Personally, I hate carrying any heavy rifle when hunting rough country on foot.

You will presumably be on horseback, and thus the horse carries that rifle most of the time. But when off the horse, the weight of the rifle is on you.

If your .270 Wby weighs anything more than about 9 pounds field ready, then I would think it is too heavy. If your .375 H&H weighs much less, it might be too light.

Either gun will work, but I suspect the .270 Wby will have the advantage over the .375 H&H in most situations.

This is a great thing to look forward to, and I wish you the best of luck!

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Try not to over think it, you're going to knock one down with either rifle when you go.

Last edited by BeanMan; 02/11/13.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have both and I would take the 270 WBY. It's perfect Elk medicine & does well at long ranges. Bring it to a range and do some long range shots.

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have both as well, I think if I were hunting elk tomorrow, I would pick the .270 Weatherby. I just love the gun and it has an awesome trajectory, I got mine for a deer/antelope rifle, but after dumping a mulie and my biggest whitetail to date last year at around 420 yards- I am a firm believer in it. Granted, I love my .375, as well, and that's the only rifle I hunted with in 2012, I still would give the nod to my Bee, especially if 400 yard shots were being called for. Having said that I've never hunted elk, but like I said, if I was jumping on a plane tomorrow, between those two I would pick the .270. Unfortunately for me there are a few other choices in the safe- which makes things a little more difficult!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No lack of advice and it's all good with some personal preferences thrown in. I've hunted considerably with rifles chambered for both cartridges--your question does not present a dilemma because as has been said both cartridges are elk-capable and easily so assuming you can put the bullet through the lungs/heart at a reasonable angle if other than broadside.

If this is a hump-it publc land hunt or any kind of mountain or higher altitude hunt, my preference goes to the lighter weight rig, assuming most of the other scope/rifle features are equal or nearly so. I think the 250-grTTSX gives the 375s more versatility yet and they haven't been bad in that department before.

While the 270 B will shoot some flatter it's not that much of an issue at "normal" ranges. A 150-gr at 3200 or a 160-gr at 3 grand is pretty darn flat and a 140-gr at 3200-3300 fps very much so. Some like the 130's in the 270 B but I would go just a bit heavier--just a personal preference. But as said, that's not too much of an issue up to 500 yds because a broadside bull or even a cow gives you a 15-20" "dinner plate" target. And a 250-gr TTSX, my recommend if you hand load the 375, should easily be started at 2900 fps out of 375 and it will fly plenty flat.

The biggest factor is neither cartridge or rifle (within reason) but you. Make your choice and then practice from field positions at distances up to the max you are comfortable with. This will build confidence with the knowledge of the trajectory at any reasonable distance with your choice of rifle and cartridge.

Most of all relax; you don't have to over think this stuff. There are a bucket full of cartridges that will kill an elk. You are the most significant link in the chain. smile Enjoy the ride.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I am taking a .270Win and a .375H&H with me to Colorado for second rifle this year. As one of the posters above mentioned, I will pick the one that floats my boat on that day...

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
take the one that you can hit a cold barrel gallon jug with at the 400 yd extreme range your guide mentioned...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've had a 270Wby and a 375H&H, and sold them both. I still miss the 270Wby.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Either will drop elk. The factor to consider is will you have long shots. Where I hunt Montana , the elk go to cover when the hunters enter their areas. Had only one shot at 300 yards after the shootin started,all others under 200. Also ,there are Griz where we hunt so the 375 would feel better to have along.
When all said and done an arrow will kill em and with todays bullets [ I use only Nosler Accurbonds now,earlier used partitions] an elk will go down fast with either round you have selected.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
40+ years ago this discussion would have smelled of the Elmer Keith/Jack O'Connor conflict of big bore/heavy bullets vs small bore/high velocity,Elmer pontificating about 6 270-wounded bulls for every one brought to bag... cry

We are smarter today and have better bullets;those from the 270 Weatherby will skewer an elk up close without blowing to smithereens,and still reach across canyon when needed....and items like the 250 gr TTSX from the 375 make 400 yard shots as easy as with a 270 or 30/06,from a trajectory standpoint...no need for lumbering round nosed stuff in the 375 as far as elk are concerned.

Either one is going to work and not much need for a lot of worry about which one to take.

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/17/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (1minute, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 222ND, 48 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,290
Posts18,505,220
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.