Home
Posted By: nclonghunter Elk gel? - 08/10/13
Just ordered some Sportsman Edge Elk Gel, has anyone used any gels for attracting elk. Not using it as a cover scent.
Posted By: laker Re: Elk gel? - 08/10/13
Id just play the wind and forget the gel because for them to smell the gel they are going to have to be down wind of it which also means they are down wind of you.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Elk gel? - 08/10/13
some folks will fall for anything....
Posted By: nclonghunter Re: Elk gel? - 08/10/13
Laker, if an elk would be coming from the west on a south wind a decoy and scent can be placed up wind. I will be to the east of the south wind or hunt it as a cross wind. Once the elk gets down wind of the decoy he will strike the gel smell first and hopefully see the decoy. He will then move north towards the decoy and I will be in position to take a broadside shot being to the east of him.
Lots of folks talk about hunting into the wind, but a cross wind or 90 degrees into it will also work.
I plan on using the gel at wallows and seeps where I can position myself 30-40 yards crosswind of the decoy and wallow. Nothing is 100 percent but it helps to have a plan B.

More than one way to skin a lion.
don't forget the 'gelled' lion pics.....
I am going to believe that you have tested the gels extensively to make a statement that they do not work...saved everyone a lot of time and money..Thanks
never said they didn't work. I said some folks would fall for anything. Seems you maybe fell for some advertising hype, and are now looking for justification for your oh-so-wise choice. You now have the magic juice coming in the mail. It is the last piece to the age-old elk hunting dilemma puzzle. I reckon that there is absolutely nothing that could go wrong with your plan. You can just set up a decoy, slather some stinkum, crawl under the appropriate bush and elk of every variety will float right up the scent cone, unwary and uninterested in anything else, so you can whomp the elk of your dreams/choice at your leisure. Done deal....

Everyone knows that wind never switches direction, elk never come come from an un-anticipated direction, always stay within range(broadside/standing of course), and that the anticipated trophy individual is never obscured. Wallows are used on a regular schedule and other hunting pressure never makes them vary, either in the time schedule for their appointed rounds, or never leaving the country.

Have you got the weather report yet? No matter, the gel SHALL overcome all......
Posted By: K_Salonek Re: Elk gel? - 08/10/13
About a case of elk grease per dozen Miss September decoys sound about the right ratio?

[Linked Image]
You just stay with your Neanderthal approach to hunting. Maybe after others have tried new methods and found they work, then you will try it, which has probably always been your way. I bought it first and didn't need your opinion which I am glad because you obviously like to give opinions on things you do not know about. The original question was wanting information if you had ever used it, but you figured your self appointed wisdom was worth belittling someone's product and another member of this forum. Then followed that with a rant on how I was putting all my faith in the one magic scent after I said it was another option or a plan B...I'm guessing you stepped in some horse crap today and decided you needed to up your opinion of yourself...well played
Posted By: smokepole Re: Elk gel? - 08/10/13
Originally Posted by laker
Id just play the wind and forget the gel because for them to smell the gel they are going to have to be down wind of it which also means they are down wind of you.

Won't matter if you're wearing your charcoal union suit.
Originally Posted by nclonghunter
You just stay with your Neanderthal approach to hunting.

I will.
And, I'll continue to get elk doing it.
Altho, I've never been much for sitting on my ass waiting for elk to maybe-or-maybe-not follow a scent trail to a plastic store-bought decoy.
And just look at all the money I save, by not buying into potions, elixirs, and all the latest gadgets and gimmicks. Did you get yer butt-out tool yet? One of those cough silencers might could come in handy while your watching the gel smear.
Posted By: Ulvejaeger Re: Elk gel? - 08/10/13
Lotsa elk hunting in NC?
Cheers
Posted By: smokepole Re: Elk gel? - 08/10/13
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I will.
And, I'll continue to get elk doing it.

Actually, that's both ironic and a heck of a compliment, since Neanderthals hunted for a living and were better at it than we are.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Elk gel? - 08/10/13

*Note* Post below must be read in your best David Attenborough voice.

Here we see a prime example of "Cabelas Man".

Known for his reliance on store bought gimmicks, Cabelas Man is often seen draped from head to toe in the latest camouflage fashions, sometimes outfitting his vehicle in big buck stickers to proclaim his dominance over other Cabelas Men.

The species has been known to scoff at ancient Neandrathal hunting techniques, proclaiming them outdated. Instead of learning through doing, Cabelas Man garners much of his skill through countless hours spent watching the Outdoor Channel. Cabelas Man seems to be gaining in population, but the primordial Neandrathal hunters of the land don't worry much, as Cabelas Man is not particularly successful when it comes to actually killing game.

Simply fascinating.
You reckon a GPS, cell phone, walkie talkies, diaphragm call, compound bows, wind powders, are all gadgets and gimmicks. Maybe a list could be made listing just such stuff so everyone could save as much money as you. I'm all broke up about spending a couple dollars on something that might just work. I want to see those elk getting killed with spear points and clubs from here on.

Funny thing is that I can remember deer hunters cutting the tarsal glands from buck deer to use as an attractant. Trappers will cut the scent glands from beaver, raccoon, fox and other fur beares to use as an attractant. It is crazy someone might think an elk would be even a little attracted to a cow scent. What a idiot some people are, makes no sense...
Posted By: logcutter Re: Elk gel? - 08/10/13
I never go hunting without my elk scent,especially bow hunting...Never used the gel or seen it but I'm sure there is a place for it.The more non-human scent out there is a plus.

Not sure about the gel but just plain old elk pizz works like a dream...

Jayco
Interesting part to this thread is everyone is on their COMPUTER or ELECTRONIC DEVICE and on a forum that is intended to help folks learn (I think) and are snubbing a possible discussion on using elk scents that are being called elixirs and potions by someone that has never used them...

While using your 20th century electronic device they are feeling all perfect that they hunt with only basic equipment. I spent a lot of years hunting with a flintlock rifle that I built, while wearing moccasins and carrying only a wool blanket to sleep in at night. Used flint and steel to start my fires. Ate jerky and parched corn for several days at a time. Absolutely the very basic needs. So, I ask about using an elk gel scent and I am now MR GiZMO...freaking hilarious

Praiare goat, that is funny, thanks

Log cutter, pizz may be the best and would like to hear more about that, Thanks
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Elk gel? - 08/10/13
Dude, are you for real?
Posted By: outahere Re: Elk gel? - 08/10/13
You guys are getting it wrong - it's a visual thing. Elk gel gives the hunter the that spiky haired, just pissed all overmyself while rolling around in the mud look that so pleases lady elk and the occasional confused bull. It's a look that just drops horny elk to their knees.
Posted By: SLM Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

*Note* Post below must be read in your best David Attenborough voice.

Here we see a prime example of "Cabelas Man".

Known for his reliance on store bought gimmicks, Cabelas Man is often seen draped from head to toe in the latest camouflage fashions, sometimes outfitting his vehicle in big buck stickers to proclaim his dominance over other Cabelas Men.

The species has been known to scoff at ancient Neandrathal hunting techniques, proclaiming them outdated. Instead of learning through doing, Cabelas Man garners much of his skill through countless hours spent watching the Outdoor Channel. Cabelas Man seems to be gaining in population, but the primordial Neandrathal hunters of the land don't worry much, as Cabelas Man is not particularly successful when it comes to actually killing game.

Simply fascinating.

LMAO!
Posted By: Cocadori Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Dude, are you for real?

Unfortunatly I lived in NC for a bit.. yeah they have some guys back there that really think they are from the past.

I hired a wrangler one year. He swore he was a rebel soldier in his past life.
Posted By: Cocadori Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
You guys are getting it wrong - it's a visual thing. Elk gel gives the hunter the that spiky haired, just pissed all overmyself while rolling around in the mud look that so pleases lady elk and the occasional confused bull. It's a look that just drops horny elk to their knees.

That's funny...!! I was goingto go there but you beat me to it.
Posted By: laker Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by laker

Won't matter if you're wearing your charcoal union suit.

Cant forget your scent away chewing gum
Posted By: Tanner Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
I've always just used KY? WTF?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
Originally Posted by Tanner

Yeah, it works pretty good. Something about the scent that scares the sheep away though whistle
Posted By: BWalker Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
Originally Posted by huntsman22
some folks will fall for anything....

Yep!
Posted By: Tanner Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yeah, it works pretty good. Something about the scent that scares the sheep away though whistle
That's why I bought Velcro gloves.

SURPRISE!!!
Posted By: Backroads Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
Elk gel only works if you put it on your ATV tires.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
More discussion please.....

I need a new sig. quote
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
Interesting part to this thread is everyone is on their COMPUTER or ELECTRONIC DEVICE and on a forum that is intended to help folks learn (I think) and are snubbing a possible discussion on using elk scents that are being called elixirs and potions by someone that has never used them...

Common theme here. You get used to it.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Common theme here. You get used to it.

The difference is, I don't hunt from my computer. I go hunting to get as far away from computers as possible.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
I don't know if thr gel would work any different than many other things. Maybe it'll keep the scent longer.

There are so many variables that play into this that I don't feel like typing that much. If you are using a decoy/stand and scent that area and stay put it may work. Not a method I've ever tried.

I do use pee when bowhunting and have had some really close encounters. Doesn't make you invisible but may help confuse.

Posted By: rost495 Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
If using scents, I put them in sealable containers. So they can be opened and closed as needed.

Never used em on elk, but have succesfully for deer, but deer and elk hunting are worlds apart IMHO.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13

SURPRISE!!!

You learn quick buddy. Did you get the rubber boots too?
Posted By: K_Salonek Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
Originally Posted by rost495
If using scents, I put them in sealable containers. So they can be opened and closed as needed.

Never used em on elk, but have succesfully for deer, but deer and elk hunting are worlds apart IMHO.

I also think so.

And also see a trend among former whitetail hunters.

Whitetail bucks are some sneaky SOBs!
Sniffing around, sneaking around like they have a bounty on them. In a way they do.
But live by an entirely different set of rules in different surroundings.
Whitetails seem to even spend a long time sniffing it over before even stepping into a clearing. Whitetail seem to meander more, and might be susceptible to a potion?
Whitetail seem to turn their deterrent factor up when pressured, I doubt they would fall for an elixir?

Elk of the other hand seem to be very proud of their antlers, and will even prance up ridge to show them off. Elk seem way more flamboyant. Way more visual and at times vocal. Elk seem to have more of a destination when their moving. Un-disturbed elk even have a different set of rules or habits then elk during hunting season. The more pressure put on elk the more those rules change. So imo a potion ain't gonna work.
I might try an elixir someday?

Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
and if all that fails, there is always snake oil.....
Yep!

But make sure it is the elixir, and not the Liniment.
I made that mistake one year and got the liniment, and elk just ran from me!

Don't be fooled by the price.

[Linked Image]

Anyone got a banjo that needs some salve? PM me?
Posted By: BWalker Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
The OP is trying to hunt Elk like Whitetails are hunted back east. IME this simply doesnt work and for a variety of reasons.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
The guys that made the original "Cow talk" elk call out of Garner MT also had some cow elk in estrus pee that you mixed about 7 parts water to one part pee and put it in small spray bottle. As you still hunted along, cow calling every once in awhile, you were suppose to give it a couple of sprays and also spray your boot bottoms with it.
I used it a long time ago but quit after I sprayed and the wind blew the mist back in my face. Nasty tasting stuff.
If it worked, "elk gel" would not be a new product, given what's happened with whitetail scents. If it worked there would be shelves full of the stuff at Bass Pro Shop.
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I used it a long time ago but quit after I sprayed and the wind blew the mist back in my face. Nasty tasting stuff.

I could've gone all day without hearing that. I had a friend back east who got some Tink's on his fingers and then inadvertently rubbed it into his moustache. I never laughed so hard in all my life.!
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
This marvellous thread has increased the OP's motivation to get an elk by 1000%. You've gotten your money's worth already.

nclonghunter, kill an elk and photograph the bottle of elk gel placed prominently on it and post the pic here. Whether the gel made the difference in getting the critter or not is irelevant at this point because it has motivated you to hunt harder and hunt well to prove your case.

FWIW, you can place scent away from you across the wind without walking out there. Dab some gel on a throwing stick and throw it as far across wind as you can. Do the same in the opposite direction. Now any elk circling downwind to get your scent will hit that scent first, and you didn't walk around and scatter your scent nearly as much.

I've never done that for elk but have for other critters when calling, though I don't think it has made the difference in getting a shot yet.

Tried to do a little research on Sportsmens Edge Elk Gel, and drew a blank.

Rather interesting product description:

Product Description
"Elk Gel from�Sportsman`s Edge�is an effective scent product designed to consistently provide elk hunters with better, cleaner shots! It has a spreadable consistency, and is produced with 100% Cow in Heat Urine. Elk Gel retains its potency while evaporating slowly, and can be used all season long! Be creative with this product, applying it to drag cloths, foot pads, scent valves, rubs, trails, wallows and even watering holes. Ground blinds and tree stands can be enhanced by placing the opened container in the shooting lane. Stay Alert, Elk Gel works, and still the Pro`s choice!"

Skipping over how and where their getting cow in heat urine this time of the year?
Suggest bovine unine?

They are a polite lot, warning you to stay alert!
I'd imagine especially if you sat in some of that stuff somehow?

Bringing the question?

Who are the "Pro's" that chose this stuff?

Originally Posted by Okanagan
This marvellous thread has increased the OP's motivation to get an elk by 1000%. You've gotten your money's worth already.

nclonghunter, kill an elk and photograph the bottle of elk gel placed prominently on it and post the pic here. Whether the gel made the difference in getting the critter or not is irelevant at this point because it has motivated you to hunt harder and hunt well to prove your case.

FWIW, you can place scent away from you across the wind without walking out there. Dab some gel on a throwing stick and throw it as far across wind as you can. Do the same in the opposite direction. Now any elk circling downwind to get your scent will hit that scent first, and you didn't walk around and scatter your scent nearly as much.

I've never done that for elk but have for other critters when calling, though I don't think it has made the difference in getting a shot yet.

Perfecting technic eh?

How about put some on a stick, tie the stick to a spincast and cast out and reel it in real slow? Maybe varying the speed and a few bump-n-stops in there?

Wind change, just work-it in another direction!

Getting too many rag-horns to chase it?
Put some on a bigger stick!
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Elk gel? - 08/11/13
Casting scent way out with a fishing rod and reeling one in as he follows. Now THAT is creative!

Wonder how far I could cast and how much elk hillside I could hunt from way up on the side of Hell's Canyon if I use my 13' surf rod and Australian Alvey reel. I'll bet I could cast a quarter mile!

Change of wind direction is the bane of calling almost any animal. Oh for consistent light winds in one direction. However we hunt we have to deal with that.

Posted By: nclonghunter Re: Elk gel? - 08/12/13
I will again say that all the comments are coming from those that have never tried elk scents to determine if it may actually work, except for one that sprayed it in his mouth years ago...that' funny. I will also say that you all have a tremendous amount of expierience hunting elk and the fact that you do not believe it is of any value is actually a useful opinion even if your opinion is delivered in a smartarse way....which I am okay with.
Salonek, I hunt hard every time I go, so this has not motivated me at all. I am certain if we compare numbers I would be way behind on you guys fortunate enough to have been born or lived most of your life in elk country. In comparison I am confident my whitetail deer kills are much higher than most who live out west. Without the use of gels, scents, potions or whatever I have in four years hunting Colorado missed a 5x5, shoulder shot a 4x4 and killed a dandy 6x6. These have been DIY on public land also, so I am not spending big bucks that I dont have to shoot some private property calm elk. I understand some folks never kill an elk and I feel pretty good about my accomplishments for an eastern whitetail hunter. Elk gel may be junk and I have not tried it or have any stories to share that it is the end to all and never said I did. I actually asked if anyone had ever used it and somehow I am promoting its very purpose. If it proves to be junk It will go in the garbage, but I will say on other websites hunters have said they use elk scent and have had great results with it. Maybe they are all liars or on the payroll.
Some of you like to shoot elk at hundreds of yards and take great pride in that and would have no use for scents. But there are some that want to get in close and kill him at 20 yards, which I am one of those.

Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Elk gel? - 08/12/13
Stop making assumptions.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Elk gel? - 08/12/13
Good luck on your hunt, NC. The main reason I wouldn't use scents is that all of the successful elk hunters I know like to cover a lot of ground and will haul ass after elk at the drop of a hat. "Setting up" with scents would seem to run counter to that and maybe keep you anchored when it may be best to move.

Your mileage may vary, but in general the higher it is the better you'll do.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Elk gel? - 08/12/13
You're doing well and there is nothing wrong with trying it. It is hard to resist poking a little fun and hope the light razzing doesn't have too sharp an edge. Wishing you well and you have huntd elk enough to know your style and what you want to try.

FWIW the best elk caller I know only uses his vocal cords, and he is phenomenally good. He has gone back to a recurve and has killed many nice bulls. Recently he has used a life size cow decoy. Don't know if he uses scents.

Re assumptions: I powder burned one bull elk. Killed a 6 point at less than 40 feet. Etc. laugh

Posted By: K_Salonek Re: Elk gel? - 08/12/13
I will again say that all the comments are coming from those that have never tried elk scents to determine if it may actually work, except for one that sprayed it in his mouth years ago...that' funny. I will also say that you all have a tremendous amount of expierience hunting elk and the fact that you do not believe it is of any value is actually a useful opinion even if your opinion is delivered in a smartarse way....which I am okay with.
Salonek, I hunt hard every time I go, so this has not motivated me at all. I am certain if we compare numbers I would be way behind on you guys fortunate enough to have been born or lived most of your life in elk country. In comparison I am confident my whitetail deer kills are much higher than most who live out west. Without the use of gels, scents, potions or whatever I have in four years hunting Colorado missed a 5x5, shoulder shot a 4x4 and killed a dandy 6x6. These have been DIY on public land also, so I am not spending big bucks that I dont have to shoot some private property calm elk. I understand some folks never kill an elk and I feel pretty good about my accomplishments for an eastern whitetail hunter. Elk gel may be junk and I have not tried it or have any stories to share that it is the end to all and never said I did. I actually asked if anyone had ever used it and somehow I am promoting its very purpose. If it proves to be junk It will go in the garbage, but I will say on other websites hunters have said they use elk scent and have had great results with it. Maybe they are all liars or on the payroll.
Some of you like to shoot elk at hundreds of yards and take great pride in that and would have no use for scents. But there are some that want to get in close and kill him at 20 yards, which I am one of those.

Why on earth would you want to get an elk 20 yards away?

I have a good friend with a 90 yard pin on his Mathews. (Mathews bows, gimmick? Or they prove themselves?)
I have also had an elk client with a rifle, swap spit with an elk and not get a shot off.
Never seen them side by side, but I think a mature elk can disappear faster then a whitetail? An eddie current in any wind can sure give it away when elk are close!

It is fun to talk about success!
Very fun indeed! Like the story leading up to your 6X !
It's all good!

May I mention something else? Another factor?
The uncomfortable subject? Track-soup anyone?

It's extremely hard to sit dawn till dusk for a week straight for a whitetail buck. And draw a goose-egg for the season!
What's worst?
Send a party of 4 home from their paid hunt without them ever firing a shot!

Wish I could believe in the Elk Gel, really wish I could.
But trust me, I have seen way past my share of failures on hunts!

Oh it's the camp-life! It's the meals and it's the camaraderie!

It's the scenery? Right? Like that song The Second Week Of Deercamp?

Making a little fun of the elk gel is just that. May I lead by saying no one here wishes anyone's hunt a big bowl of track soup. When most of the long time members here post (I am not including myself with that distinction) it is a good time to listen up!

Kind of an interesting idea comes up while smearing Elk Gel (pun) , and that is what is happening to the tradition, as it is becoming a sport! What a joke!

Personal confession?
I sort of cringe when I see the product endorsement photos of the superstars of hunting! All arms folded, all badass tuff guys! Paddling snakeoil really.
I seen this all coming years ago, let me guess? I really don't need a bass boat either?

Another confession?
I sort of like it when there are a few hundred thousands gimmick masters out there!
There adding steroids to the bottom dollar of a huge industry!

Everyone here has tried gimmicks of all sorts.
Everyone goes through that phase. Millage may vary.

I think the Outlaw Josie Wells said it best when it came to Elk Gel when he asked how it works for tobacco spots!
Posted By: Cocadori Re: Elk gel? - 08/12/13
Stop making assumptions.

That^ I will second.

Posted By: BeanMan Re: Elk gel? - 08/14/13
About 25 years ago I used some of the Cow Talk Elk in estrus scent talked about above. I sprayed it on a bush near a wallow I was hunting. A group of cow elk came in, smelled it, and spooked at high speed. Make sure the gel you buy fits the herd you are hunting. (That's my way of saying you're going to be disappointed in your gel)

I don't think your gel is going to work and in fact it may work against you. I'll keep killing my one elk a year within site distance of my house.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Elk gel? - 08/14/13
What is a scent saying at that time and place? Come closer, run away, something else?

I will admit that I like to experiment some times if the freezer is full. Some of the time with modern hunters, things work even though we don't have any idea why. laugh

Posted By: John_in_MS Re: Elk gel? - 08/14/13
Speaking of scents (but not directly relatable to the OP's questiion). Back when I lived in AZ. There was a guide who lived up the road from us. I remember very distictly him retelling several stories of how he always carried a film cannister filled with cotton swabs dabbed in Mt. Lion piss and what he did with them.

He went on to explain, sometimes a muley or elk they been tracking will hole up in some god aweful steep, impenatrable, overgrown arroyo and would not come out for anything even with them on top shouting and such. He'd simply take out that film cannister, pick up a rock, put it in and shake it. Tell the hunter to be ready. Would take out said rock and with the help a a slingshot start flinging them into the brush. Always said this while laughing with a big grin..........never needed a 3rd rock, before they'd come busting out like a mad wildman!!!
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Elk gel? - 08/14/13
I got this mare, I am gonna smear elk gel on her butt and turn her into a hay field full of elk...... when I rattle the grain bucket to bring her home.....
WHUP!
Posted By: K_Salonek Re: Elk gel? - 08/14/13
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I got this mare, I am gonna smear elk gel on her butt and turn her into a hay field full of elk...... when I rattle the grain bucket to bring her home.....
WHUP!

/\ /\ Winner! /\ /\
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Elk gel? - 08/14/13
I have never tried elk gel.

I have experimented with a number of bottled elk scents/attractants.
I came to the conclusion they don't work. What I have had some success with however is the real thing from local elk. Kneel in it, sit in it, or scoop a handfull into the cargo pockets of your pants.

Rifle hunting? Posting over a decoy on public land? Some of those hunters you mentioned not only shoot at hundreds of yards but at many hundreds of yards. Many are quite competent and for them that is reasonable. Not all. If you value your life I would not have anything to do with a decoy on public land during rifle season.

- and the thing about a crosswind. That's the exception to the rule. Expect thermal drift, swirling wind, or no wind. If you have one of those lucky days where you are fortunate enough to have a steady breeze ditch all of the gimmicks and head into it. You don't need all that crap.

Posted By: nclonghunter Re: Elk gel? - 08/14/13
Alamosa, I appreciate you stating that you have tried bottled elk scents/attractants and that you do not believe they work. At last someone tried and can offer real results, good or bad. After the posts and attitudes that have been seen on this thread, I am surprised anyone would even admit using a scent or knowing someone that had.

I am also curious about the "real thing from local elk"? I am guessing that you are referring to elk urine in a bedding area. What type of reaction did you get from that, just seemed to cover your scent or actually attract elk to you?

Good advise on the rifle season, I agree it would be dangerous to flash a decoy during that time and I would not use one. It's also a little scary during ML season.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Elk gel? - 08/14/13
At last someone tried and can offer real results, good or bad.

I've never tried fellatio either (except the receiving end) but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be good.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Elk gel? - 08/14/13

I am also curious about the "real thing from local elk"? I am guessing that you are referring to elk urine in a bedding area. What type of reaction did you get from that, just seemed to cover your scent or actually attract elk to you?

Mostly urine in a bedding area. Cows will leave a trail in the snow as they move and that works too. Wallows are loaded with ripe material but that is too intense for me.

You have to remember that it works both ways. If you load yourself with any kind of scent then you are eliminating your own ability to smell them. Anymore I'd rather sniff them than try to fool them.

Nothing I've ever done has actually attracted elk - including my calling. I have however bought myself more time, gotten closer, or stopped them momentarilly sometimes long enough for a shot.
Posted By: logcutter Re: Elk gel? - 08/14/13
Different strokes for different folks...Foreign elk pee scares local elk...Ya right....A bull in rut has no brains,period.He is one horny mother and he could care less who he screws,just as long as he gets some.

I have used elk scent with good results.Not as an attractant but a cover to noise or in cadence with elk tunes.

Elk and Deer scents and calls work if used correctly.

Jayco
Posted By: buffybr Re: Elk gel? - 08/14/13
Originally Posted by K_Salonek

Why wouldn't you?

The only elk that I've killed with a bow was a 5x5 bull that I killed back in 1973 with a 10 yard shot. I used a Herter's recurve bow, no sights, a fiberglass arrow with a Bear razor insert broadhead. It was August 14th, opening day of bow season, and I was hunting public land just outside of Steamboat Springs, CO, where I lived at that time.

My camo was Army Tiger Stripe from Vietnam, no face paint, no commercial scents, no gimmicks, just quietly still hunting. I did however step in every pile of fresh elk droppings and shuffled my feet in places where the elk had peed. I still do that when I'm elk hunting.

A couple of years ago, a couple of friends and I were invited to hunt whitetails on another friends farm in southern Illinois. On the drive from Montana to southern Illinois, we stopped at every Cabela's and Bass Pro store in between. With all of the deer scent advertising on TV, we figured that using some would increase our odds at a big buck in unknown territory. We talked to the guys in the archery departments about which one they would recommend, and we each bought a different one.

We used the stuff just like they do on TV, like the store clerks told us to, and like the directions on the bottles said to. We saw bucks, we saw does, but none of the deer paid any attention to the magical scents that we were using. Our conclusion at the end of the week was that we wasted our money on those scents.
Elk scent is not an attractant,it is an aid coupled with other things to help mask scent along the line with the use of cow calls and bugles.

Great wolf attractor though,again coupled with a cow call..

Jayco
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Elk gel? - 08/14/13
Logcutter's an elk and wolf killin' SOB, I'd pay close attention to everything he says!
Do you bow hunt/muzzleloader and rifle hunt and if you do,do you do it the same with every hunt?

Give us how you hunt elk....Rifle/pistol/bow/muzzleloader or pistol?

Jayco
I slather myself in elk piss and use an atlatl.

Next question?..
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Elk gel? - 08/14/13
I bowhunt elk and usually stink so bad ain't no gel gonna mask it.

If they're downwind, they're going to bust out of there.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I bowhunt elk and usually stink so bad ain't no gel gonna mask it.

If they're downwind, they're going to bust out of there.

Exactly. If you're elk hunting and haven't broken a sweat, you're either hunting private land, or you're logcutter.
Originally Posted by logcutter

Give us how you hunt elk....Rifle/pistol/bow/muzzleloader or pistol?

Jayco

Personally, I prefer the rifle/pistol to the plain old pistol any day.
I like the revolver, myself.

Jayco
Originally Posted by smokepole
Exactly. If you're elk hunting and haven't broken a sweat, you're either hunting private land, or you're logcutter.

Tough to break a sweat in a paved campground or while taking pictures of elk and wolves in the park.
Posted By: K_Salonek Re: Elk gel? - 08/15/13
Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by K_Salonek

Why wouldn't you?

The only elk that I've killed with a bow was a 5x5 bull that I killed back in 1973 with a 10 yard shot. I used a Herter's recurve bow, no sights, a fiberglass arrow with a Bear razor insert broadhead. It was August 14th, opening day of bow season, and I was hunting public land just outside of Steamboat Springs, CO, where I lived at that time.

My camo was Army Tiger Stripe from Vietnam, no face paint, no commercial scents, no gimmicks, just quietly still hunting. I did however step in every pile of fresh elk droppings and shuffled my feet in places where the elk had peed. I still do that when I'm elk hunting.

A couple of years ago, a couple of friends and I were invited to hunt whitetails on another friends farm in southern Illinois. On the drive from Montana to southern Illinois, we stopped at every Cabela's and Bass Pro store in between. With all of the deer scent advertising on TV, we figured that using some would increase our odds at a big buck in unknown territory. We talked to the guys in the archery departments about which one they would recommend, and we each bought a different one.

We used the stuff just like they do on TV, like the store clerks told us to, and like the directions on the bottles said to. We saw bucks, we saw does, but none of the deer paid any attention to the magical scents that we were using. Our conclusion at the end of the week was that we wasted our money on those scents.

Why wouldn't I want to plan on attracting elk within 20 yards?

A lot of reasons!

First off, I am not that good a shot.

Second thing is I really love an elk stake on occation!

I would way rather believe in a technic that used words like 'withen range' and un-alarmed' , words like unsuspecting, cause standing still and eating would be too much to ask.

Elk have a mysterious magic act.
We all seen it, one barks and they all disappear!
Asking for 20 yards has twice the probability of something going wrong then if that number were 40 yards!
Turkey Hunters know this phenomenon as well.

More track soup?

A bow season failure:
Working the edge of a well scouted park (meadow) I was hoping to work my way around the park to get into position along a very well rutted elk trail that connected several meadows.

Still fairly dark, wind had me wanting to circle the meadow the long way around the top and drop back down to the spot I thought had potential.
Windfalls and snags everywhere!
Steeping out of cover past the shoulder high aspens, me in plain sight. 3 bulls tpssed their heads up and were looking right at me as I froze still.

I bet 10 minutes past before on of the bulls put his gobblers back in tbe groceries. And 20 minutes before all 3 heads were down!

Knocked an arrow, put a reed in my mouth and let out a very soft locator bleat.
The smallest and most runty of the 3 took right off head in tbe air and trotted right to the spot I just Steeped out of!

I really wanted an interesting 5X that had one branch up, one branch of his antler down! But that was not looking like it was happening, he was getting further away.

My little guy was so close I could hear his teeth grinding. Keeping the bow in one spot I moved one boot towards him, stop. Moved one boot back, stop. Twisted, but thought I could draw.

Now when I moved that bow the slightest inch, that young bull spun around and looked right at my broadhead!
One of my boots might have slipped off a rock or something and my frame, bow and arrow bounced a little. That bull ran for everything he was worth almost the whole way back to his buds!

This was fun!
I un-twisted a little more framed up towards the action. And let out a little locator bleat again.

Now this was too easy, that bull came right back to where he was a moment before, looking for other elk. He is mine! I thought?

Needing to still get my bow ready, raised and drawn. I could not move that broadhead an inch without getting just way too much attention.

This cat and mouse went on for awhile. With that young bull getting smarter and me getting dumber. Finally that young bull put it togather that there were not any other elk coming to his meadow. And he also put it together that I blink way to much to relax around. Never got a shot!

Couple real easy lessons here.
Never work an elk too close.
And never never get stuck out in an opening you can't effectively shoot accross.

Hindsight?
I could have worked my way into cover, maybe?
I could have let that young bull go by and hope the other two went looking for him, low probability.

I could have tried a snap-shot?
Lower probability yet, and a good chance of a gut-shot bull?

Elk too close can be a lose ~ lose situation for me. Muzzleloader, I'd of had the little guy. Rifle season, the big guy with the funny antlers!
Posted By: SLM Re: Elk gel? - 08/15/13
Hey Logcuter, post pics of the badass Chevy and the trophy tarp.
Posted By: mathman Re: Elk gel? - 08/15/13
Dude, are you for real?

Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Elk gel? - 08/18/13

SURPRISE!!!

Hunting buddy and I were on a two-track that passed some sheep/cattle roundup pens in White River NF. Someone had carved messages into the aspens, including this gem:

"Sheeps is love"

Wonder that person used velcro and KY too... wink
Posted By: K_Salonek Re: Elk gel? - 08/18/13
There is some fantastic aspen art in various places.

Sheep hearders from Peru are brought in to keep sheep over the grazing season. And carve all kinds of art over their range!

Guided a couple of archery hunters that did some pre-hunt accumulation and hiking. They told the story how one of the Peruvians caught them shooting the sheep (with blunt arrows) he was caring for. They did not see the hearder till it was too late!

These hunters were basically good people, but knew for a moment they were in serious jeopardy with the hearder!

Elk don't care for sheep, btw.
And seem to avoid going anywhere near them, or where sheep have been. If elk can help it.
Posted By: Heavybullets Re: Elk gel? - 08/20/13
Every time a bottle or tube of that stuff is sold someone in New York City smiles and checks his bank account balance. There's one born every minute!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Elk gel? - 08/20/13
New York City?.....Get a rope......
Posted By: SLM Re: Elk gel? - 08/20/13
I like hanging those wafers on everything.
Posted By: wageslave Re: Elk gel? - 08/20/13
I used it instead of my usual Brylcreem.
It was wonderful.
I was FM all day long, sitting on that rock.

P.S. the elk were laughing pretty hard.
Splashing some on before going to bed did not have the affect I was hoping for from the wife.

You forgot the wine didn't you.
Always wine with the wafer.
Sheesh.
Now, drop and give me 20.
Wonder if elk like wine?
Tequila is the spirit of choice.

Wine takes to long.
Laffin.
Quik shot.

P.S. pun intended.
Posted By: K_Salonek Re: Elk gel? - 08/21/13
Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!
Posted By: kawi Re: Elk gel? - 08/22/13
Gel what the h$ll pertly the elk have a cell aswell.
© 24hourcampfire