Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#7969644 08/10/13
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just ordered some Sportsman Edge Elk Gel, has anyone used any gels for attracting elk. Not using it as a cover scent.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Id just play the wind and forget the gel because for them to smell the gel they are going to have to be down wind of it which also means they are down wind of you.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
some folks will fall for anything....

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Laker, if an elk would be coming from the west on a south wind a decoy and scent can be placed up wind. I will be to the east of the south wind or hunt it as a cross wind. Once the elk gets down wind of the decoy he will strike the gel smell first and hopefully see the decoy. He will then move north towards the decoy and I will be in position to take a broadside shot being to the east of him.
Lots of folks talk about hunting into the wind, but a cross wind or 90 degrees into it will also work.
I plan on using the gel at wallows and seeps where I can position myself 30-40 yards crosswind of the decoy and wallow. Nothing is 100 percent but it helps to have a plan B.

More than one way to skin a lion.

Last edited by nclonghunter; 08/10/13.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
don't forget the 'gelled' lion pics.....

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am going to believe that you have tested the gels extensively to make a statement that they do not work...saved everyone a lot of time and money..Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
never said they didn't work. I said some folks would fall for anything. Seems you maybe fell for some advertising hype, and are now looking for justification for your oh-so-wise choice. You now have the magic juice coming in the mail. It is the last piece to the age-old elk hunting dilemma puzzle. I reckon that there is absolutely nothing that could go wrong with your plan. You can just set up a decoy, slather some stinkum, crawl under the appropriate bush and elk of every variety will float right up the scent cone, unwary and uninterested in anything else, so you can whomp the elk of your dreams/choice at your leisure. Done deal....

Everyone knows that wind never switches direction, elk never come come from an un-anticipated direction, always stay within range(broadside/standing of course), and that the anticipated trophy individual is never obscured. Wallows are used on a regular schedule and other hunting pressure never makes them vary, either in the time schedule for their appointed rounds, or never leaving the country.

Have you got the weather report yet? No matter, the gel SHALL overcome all......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About a case of elk grease per dozen Miss September decoys sound about the right ratio?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by K_Salonek; 08/10/13.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
You just stay with your Neanderthal approach to hunting. Maybe after others have tried new methods and found they work, then you will try it, which has probably always been your way. I bought it first and didn't need your opinion which I am glad because you obviously like to give opinions on things you do not know about. The original question was wanting information if you had ever used it, but you figured your self appointed wisdom was worth belittling someone's product and another member of this forum. Then followed that with a rant on how I was putting all my faith in the one magic scent after I said it was another option or a plan B...I'm guessing you stepped in some horse crap today and decided you needed to up your opinion of yourself...well played

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by laker
Id just play the wind and forget the gel because for them to smell the gel they are going to have to be down wind of it which also means they are down wind of you.

Won't matter if you're wearing your charcoal union suit.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nclonghunter
You just stay with your Neanderthal approach to hunting.

I will.
And, I'll continue to get elk doing it.
Altho, I've never been much for sitting on my ass waiting for elk to maybe-or-maybe-not follow a scent trail to a plastic store-bought decoy.
And just look at all the money I save, by not buying into potions, elixirs, and all the latest gadgets and gimmicks. Did you get yer butt-out tool yet? One of those cough silencers might could come in handy while your watching the gel smear.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Lotsa elk hunting in NC?
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I will.
And, I'll continue to get elk doing it.

Actually, that's both ironic and a heck of a compliment, since Neanderthals hunted for a living and were better at it than we are.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

*Note* Post below must be read in your best David Attenborough voice.

Here we see a prime example of "Cabelas Man".

Known for his reliance on store bought gimmicks, Cabelas Man is often seen draped from head to toe in the latest camouflage fashions, sometimes outfitting his vehicle in big buck stickers to proclaim his dominance over other Cabelas Men.

The species has been known to scoff at ancient Neandrathal hunting techniques, proclaiming them outdated. Instead of learning through doing, Cabelas Man garners much of his skill through countless hours spent watching the Outdoor Channel. Cabelas Man seems to be gaining in population, but the primordial Neandrathal hunters of the land don't worry much, as Cabelas Man is not particularly successful when it comes to actually killing game.

Simply fascinating.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
You reckon a GPS, cell phone, walkie talkies, diaphragm call, compound bows, wind powders, are all gadgets and gimmicks. Maybe a list could be made listing just such stuff so everyone could save as much money as you. I'm all broke up about spending a couple dollars on something that might just work. I want to see those elk getting killed with spear points and clubs from here on.

Funny thing is that I can remember deer hunters cutting the tarsal glands from buck deer to use as an attractant. Trappers will cut the scent glands from beaver, raccoon, fox and other fur beares to use as an attractant. It is crazy someone might think an elk would be even a little attracted to a cow scent. What a idiot some people are, makes no sense...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I never go hunting without my elk scent,especially bow hunting...Never used the gel or seen it but I'm sure there is a place for it.The more non-human scent out there is a plus.

Not sure about the gel but just plain old elk pizz works like a dream...

Jayco

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Interesting part to this thread is everyone is on their COMPUTER or ELECTRONIC DEVICE and on a forum that is intended to help folks learn (I think) and are snubbing a possible discussion on using elk scents that are being called elixirs and potions by someone that has never used them...

While using your 20th century electronic device they are feeling all perfect that they hunt with only basic equipment. I spent a lot of years hunting with a flintlock rifle that I built, while wearing moccasins and carrying only a wool blanket to sleep in at night. Used flint and steel to start my fires. Ate jerky and parched corn for several days at a time. Absolutely the very basic needs. So, I ask about using an elk gel scent and I am now MR GiZMO...freaking hilarious

Praiare goat, that is funny, thanks

Log cutter, pizz may be the best and would like to hear more about that, Thanks

Last edited by nclonghunter; 08/10/13.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dude, are you for real?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You guys are getting it wrong - it's a visual thing. Elk gel gives the hunter the that spiky haired, just pissed all overmyself while rolling around in the mud look that so pleases lady elk and the occasional confused bull. It's a look that just drops horny elk to their knees.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

*Note* Post below must be read in your best David Attenborough voice.

Here we see a prime example of "Cabelas Man".

Known for his reliance on store bought gimmicks, Cabelas Man is often seen draped from head to toe in the latest camouflage fashions, sometimes outfitting his vehicle in big buck stickers to proclaim his dominance over other Cabelas Men.

The species has been known to scoff at ancient Neandrathal hunting techniques, proclaiming them outdated. Instead of learning through doing, Cabelas Man garners much of his skill through countless hours spent watching the Outdoor Channel. Cabelas Man seems to be gaining in population, but the primordial Neandrathal hunters of the land don't worry much, as Cabelas Man is not particularly successful when it comes to actually killing game.

Simply fascinating.

LMAO!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1lessdog, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 51 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,240
Posts18,504,527
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.